Help with getting a new modem (off grid)

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Well the tech tells me my modem is bad, so I created a trouble ticket, and now he tells me I am too far away.  To compound that, now the road is not open so nobody can get up to the install address without my tracked vehicle.  It is my only communication in or out of there, as there is no cell service.

It is definitely the modem (see previous post) where it even stops responding to MITe.  It crashes hard, and it is clear I just need a modem swap.  I am a software engineer with extensive networking experience, so I just need the new modem (SB2) and the keys, and I can be up and running in five minutes.  It gets a -9 SNR and ranges in just fine then crashes on network entry with 4 flashing leds.  I have a work order for a new modem...

So who do I contact on this?  Ideally if I could get one sent via UPS with the keys, I am good to go.  The dish does not need pointing so it should not be a concern to have me do the modem myself.  There are no other local techs, and I doubt they want to go through the travel requirements.

Help?

Jim Olsen
Photo of Jim Olsen

Jim Olsen

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Send an email to the moderators here at viasatlistens@viasat.com - they may be able to help. Include your account, contact info and describe the issue.

If it's the old standalone  SB2, they were offering the Wifi modem with a self-install option when replacing the SB2 on Viasat-1 on adding the Boost 25 option (and some other plan
changes that required the WiFi modem) a while back:

https://help.viasat.com/articles/General/https-help-viasat-com-internet-articles-General-Self-install-the-Viasat-WiFi-Modem
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Olsen

Jim Olsen

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, I have sent an email with lots of detail, so hopefully can just get a modem and do a self install on it.  Right now it is a 30 minute snow machine ride, then a 15 minute drive to get to internet.....  Not fun....
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 866 Reply Likes
But I would love to be there for a weekend. Sounds beautiful!
Photo of Jim Olsen

Jim Olsen

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It was absolutely beautiful, but very cold to have to drive down to the local trading post to get an internet connection....  My doors are on the way but not installed yet on my machine as hunting season back ordered them....

Viasat is working with me now so hopefully I can get the modem replaced soon and avoid the trek.  The wood stove inside is much cozier....

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 866 Reply Likes
Run a generator for essential power I take it? Have to haul fuel in?
Photo of Jim Olsen

Jim Olsen

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Solar....  Heat with wood....  So just some propane for hot water and cooking.