Help with connectivity stats regarding intermittent connectivity issue

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Hello, I’ve been looking at some posts and there seems to be many helpful people here and I was wondering if I could get some help. For a few months now we have been having the issue that the internet works fine when one person uses it, but if other people are on the network the connection will die and the modem will reset itself and this cycle continues. This started after a tech was sent out to fix a different issue. The modem is a surf beam 2 running software UT_3.7.3.15.2 and hardware UT_7 P3_V1 and the tria is on firmware version 18.33.

The numbers are on a day with light cloud cover:
Rx power: -40.6 dbm
Rx SNR: 10 dB
Cable resistance: 1 ohm
Cable attenuation: 2.2 dB

Would any of these things be the root of my problem or is it likely something else?
Photo of Arlen Nettleton

Arlen Nettleton

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

Multiple users on a Surfbeam-2 modem requires a router. 
The router must have it's DHCP server enabled.  (located in "LAN" tab)
The DHCP address range must be great enough to accommodate the number of other devices connected to the router. "Start" number should be at least one higher than the router's own LAN address and the "end" cannot exceed the number "254."  (located in "LAN" tab) 
The router must have NAT enabled (if it has a choice to enable/disable). (located in WAN tab)
There's other things but these will sink you if incorrect.

Your satellite connection numbers are in the "near perfect" range. 
Your problem is with your router (or lack of one).

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 331 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Eliminate your router as the source of problem

Are you sure you are using a router & not a switch?
Photo of Arlen Nettleton

Arlen Nettleton

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just want to thank all the helpful people because after trying to check the settings I had to factory reset the router and I found out that I set it up wrong which allowed the modem to be a router too, after setting it up so that the router is the only router (and checking the settings that were recommended) we have had zero problems!
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
Thanks for coming back to let us know how it worked out, too many people don't ever come back and we wonder... did we do any good?  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1444 Posts
  • 852 Reply Likes
How are you doing J&J? Long time no see. How is the alternate internet working for you?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
It's astonishing. Not what a person gets used to overnight after using Viasat.  If I use over 750GB a month for 3 straight months, I'll get an email asking if I'm running a commercial server.  When I tell them "no, I just use that much," they'll just say...  "okay, just checking."  I still have ViaSat as a redundant backup and it is still slow on one of the least-loaded beams in the company.  Since de-prioritizing can't slow me down they must be using outright throttling and I thought I saw someplace I must be notified if it's an actual throttle.  Oh well, I don't use it much... hey, I'll post my monthly "data-hog" usage at the end here.
I'm going to buy my Surfbeam-2 modem and tria whenever I get around to quitting by not returning them.  How else could someone get their hands on them to play with... covers removed, lots of Agilent and KeySight® equipment on loan, and a properly pointed dish to boot???   I wonder what a person might learn?  Here's today's subliminal message: "Silence is Golden."  Click on the pictures for a better look if they are fuzzy.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2165 Posts
  • 1330 Reply Likes
According to this it's actual throttling.  "will experience" rather than "may experience".  

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

So where does that leave the person that only uses 4% of their monthly limit?  I used about 22GB the month before, so why is my speed less than 0.5Mbps?  Milpitas California is served by beam 369 and it's not even close to being congested so my de-prioritized speed should still be as fast as it was last year, unless I'm being illegally throttled.

Why am I de-prioritized anyway? I haven't gone over my data limit and my plan details say I'll get "150 GB of full speed data." (see picture above)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1444 Posts
  • 852 Reply Likes
I noticed that.

Glad are things are working well for you.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
How does somebody use 750GB a month?