Help picking new plan

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Tech support tells me I need to change plans. Unsure of what plan to go with. Here have been my options for the last year.... /s

options  /s

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 340 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2470 Posts
  • 1461 Reply Likes
Why is tech support saying you need to change plans????

Oh I see.  You have a 150GB "unlimited" plan that Viasat offered to you, then unilaterally changed the terms and conditions of how that plan works to basically force you off it by throttling down the speeds at times, no matter how much data you have used in the month. 

Pay Viasat the least amount of money you have to (or leave them altogether).

Liberty 12 and utilize the free zone to download streaming content using PlayOn Cloud.  Good combo, and gets you on the cheapest plan Viasat offers.  It also bypassing their streaming throttling so you can watch content in 720p.  The key though is to UTILIZE THE FREE ZONE FULLY and outside of that time, casual browsing only.
(Edited)
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 111 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I agree free zone not that bad
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 793 Posts
  • 789 Reply Likes
Largely depends on how much priority data you can get by with outside of the free zone.

That's the only difference between the Liberty Plan offerings.

Note the video data extender can be disabled unlike the "unlimited plans". I'll frequently do that during the free zone on sleepless nights, keeping it on during non-free hours. 

Start with the lowest and work up as needed. I've gotten by on 12 for 8 years with strict data conservation  measures (e.g. uMatrix, uOrigin, PlayOn, etc). For me, Liberty Plan works exactly as advertised and perhaps a little better on exceeding priority data - YMMV. But Viasat is now more of a backup position for me now using it more for total  data allocation of satellite and cellular plans.

P.S. Did they say needed or should??? Needed implies you're being forced to change plans.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2990 Posts
  • 1607 Reply Likes
If you like your plan you can keep it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2470 Posts
  • 1461 Reply Likes
It just might not work the same!