Help me interpret my connection stats pleasee

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
Hi,
I'm going to send an e-mail to ExedeListens as well, but thought maybe you all could help. I see they're working on a beta to provide more information on MyESVT, but that the beta is now closed.

Are these stats just acceptable? Pretty good?
What is considered ideal?
Thanks!
--Steph--

RX POWER -32.0 - -32.4 dBm
RX SNR 6.3 - 6.7 dB
ODU TELEMETRY STATUS Active
CABLE RESISTANCE 3.0 Ohm
CABLE ATTENUATION 7.8 dB
Photo of send2steph

send2steph

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1256 Reply Likes
Hi Send2Steph, your resistance and attenuation are a bit high, you may need a new cable but, that would be for a service technician to make the final call on.

SNR MAYBE could be a couple of points higher but, in some areas (like mine) that is the best you will get, even with perfect alignment. A technician should also check alignment and, TRIA health for you.

I can't speak for Exede/Viasat but, I suspect they will recommend you have a service call. If you do not have EasyCare now may be a good time to add it to your account to make a service call easy to afford.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
RX POWER is a little high because of the cable resistance and cable attenuation.

RX SNR 6.3 - 6.7 dB could be higher (ideal is RX SNR 8.6 to 9.6), if your latitude is less than 35 deg and if your longitude is close to -115 deg (115 deg west) (around the eastern border of California).  If your latitude and longitude fits these specifications, then your dish might not be pointed correctly.  If your latitude and longitude are outside these specifications, then the RX SNR you have might be the most optimal you can get.

ODU TELEMETRY STATUS Active is good.

CABLE RESISTANCE 3.0 Ohm could be lower but no less than 1.0 ohm.  How long is the cable between your modem and the TRIA on the dish?  How far away is the dish from your modem.  If possible, the cable could be shorter but, in any event, no less than 40 feet.

CABLE ATTENUATION 7.8 dB could be lower but that is due to the cable resistance.

Overall, this stats look reasonable but, if you can make them better, then you would want to.
Photo of send2steph

send2steph

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm in Central IL: 39, -88

Thanks for the info.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
It is possible that your dish might be slightly out of alignment.  Another consideration is the weather.  What does RX SNR look like during clear weather?
Photo of send2steph

send2steph

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Beautiful weather today. :) Looks like I get to have a service call.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3016 Posts
  • 1252 Reply Likes
That's good Steph, make sure the technician checks cable, TRIA and Modem. I was surprised when the tech that was recently at my home swapped out what seemed to be a perfectly good TRIA and, got me 1.5 more points on my SNR. Changing my cable dropped resistance a full Ohm. Fine tuning my alignment got me another 0.5-1 point on SNR.

That might not sound like a lot but, it made what has proven to be a 5-7 Mbps improvement in my speeds and, made rain fade happen even less often than it did before the service call. I did get an excellent technician and, he managed to make my service not just meet the advertised speeds, but exceed them quite often and, since the call, I have posted here during storms where rain fade had my SNR down to 1.5 and, my connection held, and functioned well enough to be here. :)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 719 Posts
  • 330 Reply Likes
Bev and Xode pretty much nailed it.  

Those numbers are ok, not great, but far from bad.  

I don't see your email in the inbox yet, but as soon as it shows up, I'll take a look directly at your modem!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1256 Reply Likes
Steph, that email Matt B. wants needs to have your account and contact information, and a link to this thread then, be sent to exedelistens@viasat.com. Matt can look at things from his end and verify that he is seeing the same readings as well as see if there is anything else that might need attention for you.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 634 Posts
  • 487 Reply Likes
Since I do installs, about 20-30/mon I see all kinds of numbers from myriad situations. The signal is actually ok depending on where he is located in his beam.....if he is near the outer edge then this is actually about right. As far as the resistance goes, 3.0 is on the high end BUT is acceptable and will pass the QOI (quality of install screen the installer has to pass through). I have had installs this high in the past and it was due to one of two things 1) having some copper clad coax in the path between the modem and tria.....this is when you have to use coax that the house was pre-wired with. If the resistance gets to 3.5 then I tell the customer I can't use the existing coax and will have to run a whole new line. If a person just paid some dude a lot of $$ to pre-wire then this is usually not well received but I explain that the service will be pretty bad otherwise...balls in their court at this point. 2) long run of coax. This is usually when you have to mount the pole a long ways from the house's grounding point and then another long run to the modem location.
One last thing that can cause the signal to be in the range he is seeing is if he wasn't installed with the Etria, the older style almost always had that signal in our area even if you were smack in the middle of the beam's footprint.

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2772 Posts
  • 1524 Reply Likes
The SNR is still better than what I get, and yes I am on the edge of a beam. I am going to guess there is nothing wrong with those stats either, but let the pros answer that for sure.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 634 Posts
  • 487 Reply Likes
One thing you guys can do to ensure you signal doesn't degrade over time is make sure your dish stays decently clean. I have had dishes get so covered in heavy dirt or mildew, usually when your dish is near a "sappy" tree like a pecan, that it actually knocks the signal down up to 50%. Don't go nuts with this....no pressure washers and no heavy scrubbing...okay? Be sure to unplug the power from your modem and spray the entire surface of the dish with a mild cleaner like watered down 409 and let it sit for a few minutes then lightly clean with a soft bristled brush like what you'd wash your car with.
I actually had one customer a while back that had moss growing on the front of the dish.

Andy
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 44 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Is there a page that explains the terminology -- what the abbreviations stand for -- and perhaps guidance about what the numbers should be?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2983 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Jim, there is not such a page. The main ones you need to watch are SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio), resistance and, Attenuation. RX and TX power will drop during outages and, with rain fade, cloud cover, etc... SNR also drops when weather at your home is an issue.

Ideally Attenuation should be as low as possible, that's dependent on the cable itself. Resistance should be between 1-2 Ohms but, 3 or a bit more  is acceptable for long cables to the dish.

SNR should be 8-9+ ideally but, some locations cannot get above 7 and, that's fine. In my own experience, it degrades my service at 3 or below and, is out completely below 1.3.
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 44 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you