hello VIASAT,

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
my unlimited silver 25mbps plan has gone from bad, to worse to unusable in the past 2 years. yet you still seem to accept my $110 every month right on time. My internet (in the last 2 years) has gone from 14mbps, to 8mbps to 4mbps and now a constant 1mbps all day( except maybe 1 hour between 9am and 10am). i just want to know what i should do, because unlike other people i dont have any other options(no cell service) so i am unfortunately stuck with viasat,who no longer needs me or wants me. viasat tells me i will be throttled down to nothing as long as i keep my unlimited silver 25 plan. and if i switch to a much lesser plan(50gb of 12mbps which is the same price as my unlimited plan)my speeds may be improved. my son has played all his games even fortnite up untill this recent cut in our speeds, and a 50gb data plan would last 1 week at the most. is there any hope that the thousands of us that have the Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps will ever see speeds above 1-2 mbps again. i would be happy with 10mbps or even 5mbps, at least i could watch netflix and thats less than half of what i am paying for. i realize viasat get millions of angry and frustrated emails and comments and that must get old, but if you would stop selling something that you dont have to unsuspecting folks and start focusing on better improving the quality of service for your already paying customers those emails and comments would stop.for now i will keep my plan and continue to pay over $100 a month for dial up speeds and hope that viasat corporate listens to all of us blue collar folks, do what is morally correct and tries to restore our service when viasat 3 is launched.
Photo of Charles Williams

Charles Williams

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • cheated and lied to

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Have you looked at Hughesnet?

Charles Williams

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
yes but unfortunetly the biggest plan they offer is 50gb a month and that wouldnt last a week, i realy hope viasat can help me get more than 1mbps on my unlimited 150gb 25mbps plan. i am gonna be patient with them seing as how i have been with them over 6 years, hopefully that qualifies me as a valued customer.

Charles Williams

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You champions are great though, I only realized viasat had a online community a few days ago. I can tell you you guys offer genuine unbiased support for everyone. This is the first time I have ever been emotionally distraught enough to post a complaint about a company and now I feel bad. But I also now realize that I am just one of very many people who are having our data stolen from us and shared between new customers that they didn't have power to support in the first place. I hoping my rant will lead to something like"Mr Williams we are sorry your internet is no longer useable and we will be happy to turn a few knobs and get you back to 10mbps right away"
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
That isnt going to happen.

Hughesnet has a 50/50 plan and offers "unlimited" just like Viasat offers "unlimited". Might be worth a look. With the recent changes Viasat has made (did you get an email about it?), you are not getting 150GB of priority data anymore anyhow.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Not in all areas, here it's a flat 50 GB for the month, for 149.00 Nope, No way, even with the change, my 150 GB is a better deal.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Who can still get 150GB of priority data?

Right now, at least in some areas of the country, Viasat is not competitive on price or features.

Compare the two and make the right decision for your location.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I'd consider it if it were 50/50 but, that isn't the case here, it's just a flat 50, same as I could get with Viasat and, Viasat is 50.00 cheaper, if I switch plans, which I am not doing. I'll ride it out for a while and see what comes up.

Also not falling for AT& fixed wireless here, sure better price at 70.00 for 210 GB but, then charges for all overages up to a max of 200.00 per month. It requires cell signal and, at best, in the back of my pasture, that's 1 bar of no LTE, no 3G no 1X just one bar of analog or no data service. Add the install cost for AT&T and, the fact that they have already denied landline phone service to my home and, nope no way. Give it a few months, they will be denying internet service here too. Surprised they haven't denied DTV here yet.

Only reason I still have DTV is because I had it before AT&T bought them out and, DISH doesn't offer the channels I want for the same or a lower price so, I stay with DTV
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
All Hughesnet plans offer 50 off peak. Check again.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1633 Posts
  • 980 Reply Likes
All Hughesnet plans offer 50 off peak. 
Yep.  2AM to 8AM.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
So 100GB not subject to implemented network slowdown.

Can Viasat claim that anymore?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3394 Posts
  • 1273 Reply Likes
Hi Charles

It looks like this is related to the recent policy change. There should have been an email sent to the email we have for you on file going into deeper explanation on why it was done, what it means and more importantly options for what to do.

In a nutshell some plans will see slower speeds during our busiest hours but faster speeds outside that time-frame that may surpass the expected speed. This was done to help manage the network;s workload and benefit the majority of Viasat's customers (aka addressing some of our peak hour speeds across the board). Unfortunately I'm not an engineer that sees that so that's about all I really know or can say about on the why. 

But you can stay on the plan, you get the data but you'll see this regularly. You aren't being asked to make a decision now so I think hanging on before doing anything might be worth it unless it's completely unusable.

You can switch to a plan that won't be affected by this. It may not have as much priority data or as high an inflection point but it'll be more constant on speeds. 

Finally if this is a deal breaker we are allowing an opt out if under agreement without penalty. 
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 603 Posts
  • 227 Reply Likes
Brad

Since this new policy has been implemented,  I have never once seen speeds equal to or greater than the stated speed for my plan!!!  Even during non peak hours!!
Photo of Brad Crawford

Brad Crawford

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This has also happened to us.  I would LOVE to know more about his opt out policy.  Any help would be appreciated.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Change plans or cancel.

That is how you "opt out" of the changes.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1277 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
Let’s make the assumption that everyone on a “legacy” unlimited plan changes over to a plan with less priority data. All of the sudden magic happens and speeds are increased. Wouldn’t this theoretical increase in speed lead to even more congestion during peak hours when people actually are home to use the service? Wouldn’t that in turn lead back to slower speeds? I’m just not getting the logic.

Charles Williams

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
i honestly dont think anybodys speeds are gonna increase if they switch from their unlimited 25mbps to a 12gb 12mbps plan, but they want us to think that. I think now they should focus on getting their current customers better speeds and stop selling more and more subcriptions that they dont have the power to uphold. one person told me they would go bankrupt if they didnt over sell their service but with a average revenue of almost 1.5 billion dollars a year from their current 600,000 client base they should be able to keep us well maintained and happy, without over selling. i dont know. just wanted to add that regardless of the decline of service and recent choke hold, i still appreciate that i have had decent internet for the past 6 years. i am just upset that they dont even offer to discount our bill or try to help us, despite us receiving 1/25 of what we are paying for.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Liberty is dead again today for me, even during the day it is slow. No changes to Liberty they say..... Well how come until Friday things was fine then boom nothing but unusable, even checked the equipment and dish by a friend of mine who is an installer and things checked out good. Under 1mbps durring the day now when just last week in Liberty pass i was getting 10mbps dwn. Now if i was getting what the plan states i am fine with that buy this is not the case.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Great.... Here comes Stephen now.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1277 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
They focus on milking the people that don’t have other options. They’ve truly earned their reputation now. Sure, a few beams have plentiful bandwidth. Most don’t. Service that is pretty much unusable after 6pm for a lot is the norm now. Nice commercials though touting speed.

I hate feeling negative, but hard to argue with facts.

What’s really funny to watch is some of the most adamant supporters have begun to feel the pain many have for years. Not as easy to defend when your pages won’t load and videos won’t stream. Love karma.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2647 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes
No sense for me to run any speed tests. My priority data reset yesterday.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Go ahead and burn it now!

I triple dog dare you!!!!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1277 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
When the algorithms finally make their way to Alabama, I’ll be watching for new videos of soup baths spurred by boredom when the internet is unusable.

Must not be a dang thing in Alabama. Wish ViaSat 1 could share bandwidth among beams like ViaSat 2.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1648 Posts
  • 998 Reply Likes
Whoa!  A triple dog dare!  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
What makes you think they share bandwidth on Viasat-2? I know they have talked about it, but those high density spot beams are not sharing anything with anybody else :).
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1277 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
They may not share at all, but it was stated that it had the ability to share. I’ve seen many times that “magic” beams were caused by ViaSat 1’s inability to transfer excess capacity to other beams.

Love to know if that engineer is still employed.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
When Viasat 2 had it's trouble with the antenna not deploying all the way lots of ideas went to pot, would have been nice to see it at full potential to. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Indeed.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2647 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes
Just finished watching the state of the union address on my Roku via YouTube in beautiful HD with zero buffering.

I now have 10.2 GB of priority data left for the month.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1648 Posts
  • 998 Reply Likes
I wouldn't have wasted the bandwidth.  :) 
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 603 Posts
  • 227 Reply Likes
Or my time! 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Who cares. We need Stephen to burn through his data so he can post his ridiculous speed test and insult all the rest of us who are suffering :).

My speeds were dismal last night. The new normal. We got through the holidays. Then Viasat changed some things. Now speeds are worse than ever.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Re: Sharing

Viasat-2 was touted as being able to shift bandwidth.

Each of these satellites represents enormous gains in capacity, and ViaSat-2, with its ability to shift capacity, exemplifies Dankberg’s comments about focusing bandwidth where it’s needed.

https://corpblog.viasat.com/viasat-ceo-putting-bandwidth-where-its-needed-is-key-to-success-in-satel...
Even a claim that it could shift through time zones during prime time as bandwidth requirements changed - sorry no link for that one ;)

I'm not me...I miss the old forum.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
They also had a map that showed broadband for all (i.e. 25Mbps nationwide). My neighbors cant get more than 12Mbps still today!