Heavy handed moderation

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Conversation has run its course

My replies to comments on my own thread, and replies from other people deleted by mods.
It would seem that freedom of speech is not allowed here in these forums. On my own thread about connection issues, any comment that put exede in a bad light was removed. All replies to comments made by others were not visible.
And lastly, someone actually posted defending my position and her comment was removed.
I think there is less censorship in china then on these forums...
This is making me want to stay even less. Not only do I have to stress about if my service will stay reliable, but I can't be confident that my posts here won't be heavily moderated. SMH
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Paul Signman Stuart

Paul Signman Stuart

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
NOTHING SURPRISE ME WITH THIS BUNCH! WORST INTERNET I'VE EVER USED!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Loren, we encourage conversation and posts of all different types as long as we are respectful in nature. Typically comments are removed if they are abusive in language or connotation.  All customers opinions and feedback, whether negative or positive, are always welcomed on our forum.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Kimberly, I don't know if you saw the attack by Loren directed at me in another post, but it was by NO means respectful...and I felt the language was borderline abusive, but as you will see in my post to Loren below, I didn't think it went so far over the line that I wanted to put in a complaint.   But I think that particular paragraph loaded with negative language directed specifically to me is a great example of how NOT overmoderated this forum is!  Free speech most definitely does live here.  It is also a good example of why people shouldn't jump to assume that Exede in some way "favors" satisfied customers like myself.  I have seen several posts by various people who seem to think that is why people like me post postive stuff about exede either because we are "plants" who work for exede or because we are trying to curry favor.    I am a satisfied customer and I frequently defend exede on this forum when I feel that complaints are made in a rude or bullying manner,  more full of name calling than details about what exactly is wrong.  But it should be clear from this example, that my posting favorably about exede does NOT mean I will be treated any differently than anyone else here when it comes to moderation.  
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Lorrie, you lecture me and others about how we present ourselves. Yet, I, and I am not the only one, have found your posts to US to be lecturing, judgmental, and having a tone of "My service is this way for me, so it must be this way for you too, and you saying it isn't makes my truth more valid then your experiences"
Maybe you are not actually saying that, but that is very much how you are coming across to myself and other people.
If you are a satisfied customer, that is wonderful. However, this forum is also for those with issues, and if we have issues we cannot get resolved by the phone support crew, we post them here. To have a 'satisfied customer' post on our 'we have issues' threads with a "go away, you are not wanted here because MY service is perfect so yours must be too" attitude is frustrating and it is also insulting to the original poster.
If you do not like how I state things in my own conversation, that is fine, that is your prerogative. Just do not post the way you do on other people's issues and expect them not to take issue with the way you present yourself and your satisfaction with your own service.
As stated, I am very glad your service works perfectly, you have had it a few weeks, we will see how things progress as winter deepens for both of us I guess.
Photo of Christopher T. Hall

Christopher T. Hall

• 5 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
there is nothing in the tos that says no cursing
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
That is true, but to a certain extent. Abusive language towards another forum member is not acceptable here. We want everyone to refrain from name-calling and to be respectful of one-another.

Christopher T. Hall

• 5 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
well if its against the rules it should be in the tos
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
You are absolutely right Christopher.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Christopher,

Get Satisfaction is the owner of this board.  They set the Terms of Service.  Exede pays Get Satisfaction to use this board for their needs.  Exede is well within their right to have a completely different set of standards.  This is a private forum, freedom of speech does not exist here.  

Christopher T. Hall

• 5 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Well I follow the tos which is a written set of rules put that in the tos and I will follow it
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
There is also no written set of rules that says you can't walk into a biker bar, and asking the drunk bikers which one of their meth-head daughters you can have sex with tonight... 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Section 4 of the GetSatisfaction terms details the code of conduct and section 8 makes it clear that Exede is solely responsible for the acts and omissions of the community.

None of the banter really bothers me - but then again I always enjoy a good monkey spit fight at the zoo!

"Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?" - Maximus       
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 674 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Loren, I've unarchived your posts, they weren't deleted. Although now you have two accounts for some reason.
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
that is really strange... I do not know why I would have two accounts? It just frustrated me and was upsetting to see that thread closed when I was actually using it as a 'progress' conversation. Things were bad, my experience with phone based customer service was totally MEH... and then things got better and I really do not want to start a new thread every time... I would prefer to have that thread stay un archived for a while, so that I can report on progress if that is possible. If the service improves, I would like to be able to post that there. Thank you
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Hey Alex
I think I see the issue with the 2 accounts thing. HughesNet also uses getsatisfaction.com and I posted on the hughesnet 'forum' a year ago about a billing issue. I think Getsatisfaction.com must have recently consolidated profiles or something? because my post to hughes customer service shows up under my profile. Kind of interesting that both service providers use the same company for their customer community forums lol
Anyway, I would check with who ever is hosting your community forums and ask if they have done as I think, and consolidated the postings of the community members. Since most people withe exede or wildblue have at one time had hughes, I think you might see a lot of this sort of cross over.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 674 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Interesting that your HNS account would appear here as well but it's possible. Lots of companies use Get Satisfaction; it's a pretty good platform.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Loren, having been the target of your anger in a recent post by you...in which you called something I said "b..sh.." and made generalized derogatory remarks about me as a person, I would say that this is proof that there is certainly NOT overmoderation going on.  You apparently attacked me in that manner  because I criticized a remark you made as being rude.  I didn't use curse words, nor did I say anything about you in general as a person in a negative way...so you can stop feeling heavily moderated....if I were a moderator, I would remove any language in a discussion where cursing was directed at a particular person, as it was in my case.  To quote you, you said :"your b--sh--" about something I said and then did a whole paragraph about what an awful person you have decided I am.  But I didn't run to exede to complain, because there aren't any hard and fast rules...being a moderator is a very difficult task...anyone with that responsibility has to try hard to toe the line between not curbing freedom of speech while at the same time not allowing verbal abuse to others.  I felt you crossed the line a bit and were mildly abusive to me...but if exede didn't feel that was so, I can go with that.  If I had felt that you went so far overboard that exede should have deleted some of what you said, I would have emailed exede directly, but I just decided you weren't so abusive I felt I needed to do that.  Frankly, if I were a moderator, I wouldn't allow cursing at all...I emailed that opinion to exedelistens a while back.   But regardless, I can abide by the rules here.  
Photo of Loren Turner

Loren Turner

• 43 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
You know Lorrie it is interesting you state that I spent a whole paragraph 'attacking' you. This is interesting because I just went back and re-read that entire post. I think I spent 1 sentence directed at you and all I said was I found your post on my thread rude and that I have noticed others find you to be rude as well.
I think the rudeness is perceived because you repeatedly tell people that what they are putting forth as their experiences is untrue. The most common way to phrase that concept is that you are calling people liars.
Folks, myself included, will get really insulted and a bit upset at being called a liar (no matter how politely it is phrased) and they (myself included) will have a tendency to call out the person who is doing such.
If you wish to share that your service is excellent, that is great. Just resist the temptation to include in your comments remarks that indicate that what the conversation starter is saying is untrue.
It may be untrue for you, but it is their truth, not yours, their experiences, not yours, therefore you really have no grounds to determine if their issue or problem or perception is untrue and should resist temptation when it comes to commenting on that particular aspect of their postings.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.