Having trouble with Buffering online Videos is that normal.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

Hi
When I watch something and my husband watches something online it seems to like to buffer. Is that Normal? I like to watch things with out buffering.
Photo of Rebecca Goins

Rebecca Goins

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated.

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Probably, however the answer depends on a number of factors that can affect your bandwidth. These include; time of day (5:00 PM through 2:00 AM are peak hours); the plan you have and whether you've exceeded your data allotment (e.g. if on a Liberty Plan and in Liberty Pass mode, your speed may be insufficient to support two separate video streams but might be fine with just one).

Try one at a time. If no buffering occurs that results in choppy play back, try adjusting the video resolution to a lower one - that may yield lower bandwidth requirements to allow viewing two simultaneously and most video sources allow selecting a lower resolution.         

Photo of emory griffis

emory griffis

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Speaking from experience, I have found the number one cause of buffering to be a screen resolution setting. Be it Netflix, Hulu, Youtube or any other video site, go to account setting's and turn off HD and select the lowest setting. Unless you have a screen as large as a movie theater, you aren't going to be able to tell the difference in picture quality, and you should then experience a smooth video. Also, if you have a Facebook account, turn off auto-play for all video's, and adjust the setting for those also. One more thing, if you have a start screen with live tile's, turn those off so the data will not be sidelined from your video's. By adjusting all screen resolutions, you will not only enjoy your shows more, but you will also be saving your data. A Netflix movie set on SD will use only about 1/2 GB, whereas HD Youtube will use about 4 GB per hour.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Rebecca,

Since video files are typically large, they do require more Internet data at any given time to display the video properly on your device without interruption. Streaming content providers such as YouTube or Netflix push out the most demanding content on the Internet: streaming HD video content. 

You should also make sure that any applicable web plugins, such as Java and Adobe Flash player, are updated to their latest versions. Removing junk files and keeping your computer virus and spyware free will also help your videos download and play more smoothly. Malicious software can cause problems with your Internet browser or Internet connection and consequently make it more difficult to view some web content.

There are a few things that you can do to minimize the effect of the Buffering.

1. Start the video, pause it and wait.  This will allow the video to download a little way ahead of time so that you can let it catch up and watch for a longer un-interrupted period.

2. You can also reduce the quality of the video.  This will decrease the bandwidth demand and increase the likelihood that the video will not stutter during playback.

3. Another optional approach would be downloading the entire video first before playing it.  This may take longer, but it would likely ensure that you would be able watch the entire video without interruption.

Photo of Craig Cline

Craig Cline

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Maybe it's my imagination, but on Amazon Prime the recommendation is to use a browser with an html5 player, like Opera or Chrome, and since I've done that those videos seem to run better and look better.

jmho, but if you're having to pause a video every few minutes to let I download ahead of time, you're not getting a good quality Exede speed.  heck, sometimes that works when you're on slowdown speed when your monthly quota is used up. 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
No, it's not your imagination. Most of the popular browsers now support HTML5 media - the level of support as well as supported file types vary. However (and this is a big one for those on severely limited Exede data plans), one of the ways choppy playback is eliminated is through more aggressive pre-loading (or auto buffering) which is controlled partially by the web site designer and partially by the browser implementation. 

Some videos will pre-load in their entirety in the background regardless of whether you actually watch them or not by clicking play. This comes at the expense of your data allowance.

In my case, I got so frustrated by this I reverted to using Firefox coupled with the Flash Control add-on and disabling HTML5 media within the Firefox about:config preferences. It was the only way I could find to eliminate downloading videos that I had no intention of watching anyway.  The net result is that most web sites fallback to Flash where I can control my own destiny.  
(Edited)
Photo of Craig Cline

Craig Cline

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I rarely stream anything of size when I'm on the GB clock, i'm on the 10GB plan.  I'm leery of the Liberty plans, you lose your unmetered time, right?  but your slowdown isn't quite as slow?  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Correct, there are no free zones with the Liberty Plans. You get x amount of data (dependent on actual plan selected) at full speed before going into Liberty Pass mode with slower (yet usable speeds).

The plan model is analogous to "unlimited" cellular data plans where you get x amount of GB at 4G speeds before reverting to 2G or 3G speeds. At the same time it appears to be competitively priced against "unlimited" cellular plans.      

Reports so far that it's doing a good job at living up to the higher end of the 1 - 5 Mpbs slower range of speeds when on Liberty Pass. Sufficient for streaming on one device but may result choppiness when simultaneously streaming as the original poster indicates.

On my beam, those slower speeds are typical during the LNFZ on a classic plan anyway so I'm thinking about switching since it makes more sense to me get them 24/7 rather than 5 hours a day once going over the priority data.

Even then I suspect those who've actually switched to the Liberty Plan are still relying on all of the data conservation tips so that they may stretch and conserve their priority data amounts as much as possible. The real determining factor may simply be what activities do you need that  require up to 12 Mbps rather than up to 5 Mbps - I'm finding my answer to increasingly be not many.
(Edited)
Photo of Craig Cline

Craig Cline

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

I'd really like to test drive that 'up to' 5 mbps on streaming for awhile before I committed to it, and let go of the unmetered zone.

I see they've moved the hours of that in the essential package to 3am to 8am, too.

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
I suspect that they are trying to balance out the heavy usage that occurs during the first few hours of the Free zone between the LNFZ and EBFZ to allow speeds to improve during those hours. In time, I think the free zones will become a thing of the past, as users switch to the Liberty plan now being offered in most area. I switched a week and a half ago, but it was not a tough decision since I hadn't used the LNFZ in a few years. I continue to use all the data conserving methods available, although using Adblock Plus is now causing some problems as the web designers are designing little things to detect that the ads are not loading. Yahoo has announced that access to their emails will be denied if using ad blockers, and lately I had been having problems with Facebook not loading more than 10 or 15 news feed items before the annoying "spinning wheel of death" appears. Through trial and error, I discovered that by disabling the Adblock on their website that the news feeds will continue to load without issue.

I have yet to get through my 10 GB of data, so iI have yet to see what speeds I will get on the Pass mode. I will be checking that out in a few days. I think that Liberty is a good fit for all but the heavy users who need to download the big games and those who are heavy video users.
Photo of Craig Cline

Craig Cline

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It happens that their competitor's free zone is 3 to 8 am.  I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.
Photo of Rebecca Goins

Rebecca Goins

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Craig
No We are on the 150 GB part of the freedom plan so that is not it at all. Its only when my husband and I try to watch movies together. Do you think it might be the router?
Thank You
Rebecca Goins

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Rebecca, it is quite possible that your router just can't handle that kind of throughput required to have two video streams going at once.
Photo of Craig Cline

Craig Cline

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

I just ran 2 different speed tests and came back with download speeds of 18 and 23 MPS.

Do they sound about right?

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Those are typically what speeds I get. It all depends on how much traffic the network on your beam is seeing at the time you do your test.
Photo of Craig Cline

Craig Cline

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Where are the reply boxes to respond to a specific post?  It looks like you can reply once to  a person and that's it.  Is that my imagination?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Craig,

That's the way this GetSatisfaction powered community works - hang around long enough and you'll enjoy some fist fights that break out when someone mistakes a reply that isn't really directed at them ;)
Photo of Sid Rimmington

Sid Rimmington

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
some good tips but for $110/month I think Exede.com should do better.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.