Having reliability issues with signal

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Since our dish was placed back on the roof, after our new roof was installed, we've had issues with service. I don't know that they are related, but something is wrong.
Photo of Richard Rootes

Richard Rootes

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated.

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
Did Viasat send somebody out to realign the dish? While roofers will replace the dish in it's approximate location, they can't re-align it properly. That requires scheduling an installer visit.
(Edited)
Photo of Richard Rootes

Richard Rootes

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, I arranged for ViaSat to send a tech out, and he installed and tested the system.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
Describe the issue with as much detail as possible. This is a customer to customer self help forum (not direct support) but somebody might give some advice rather than calling again.
(Edited)
Photo of Richard Rootes

Richard Rootes

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry. When I click 'report a problem' I assume it's going to direct support.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Hey Dances, what do you need to install satellite internet as far as getting the best signal? You seem to be very knowledgeable. I installed for myself and friends satellite TV probably close to a dozen times. You just needed some to watch the TV screen that showed the signal meter and someone slowly moving the dish.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
A consumer cant. There are procedures involved that only certified techs has access to. Satellite TV dish tuning and satellite internet dish tuning are two different animals. Dont mess with your satellite internet dish unless you want to make things worse.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
You need to be an authorized installer. Don't know about Viasat-2 but on Viasat-1 modems you need to place it in install mode. The TRIA then emits a tone that is used to zero in on the sweet spot. There's an app that provides an initial starting point in terms of rough azimuth and elevation but you need the code to complete the install.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
With our prior discussions, Dances you seem to claim my install guy and even the half dozen techs that followed could have been incompetent. What would it take to get an install done and then dial the dish in yourself? I have collected 10's of thousands of dollars of tools in my life. I have done lots of electrical repairs on machinery until it gets to circuit board level and then I send those out. I have a $500 multi-meter and a $200 amp probe for trouble shooting electrical issues. I realize they won't work to detect signals for satellite, just making a point. If I could buy a $500 meter or the like to align a Viasat dish I might give it a go again. Even if the tool costs $1000 use it once, dial it in on a solid mount and sell the thing on E-bay for 50 cents on the dollar.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
You cant! You have to get into the modem which requires an encryption key and that in turn turns on a series of tones to tune the dish.

Give it up.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Looks like there were responses while I was typing my last post in between getting a little work done. So what you all are saying is a person cannot self install Viasat even if they are willing to buy whatever special tools are needed. Viasat has to be installed by "licensed installers" who obviously aren't properly trained or vetted by Viasat. So the dude who showed up here with a screw driver in his pocket driving a sports car and nothing else is a trusted "licensed installer" but Viasat won't allow me to give it a shot?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
Correct. And it doesnt require special tools. Just training and a way to access the dish tuning procedure in the modem.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Hey ExSat, there is nothing to "give up" I have long since dumped Viasat. I was just thinking out loud, due to taking in the information of the few posters who appear knowledgeable, and those knowledgeable people would include you. I bailed from Viasat well over a year ago and while cell wireless is way better it isn't the cat's meow.

I was trying to apply common sense, there are people who claim to have good service from satellite in my area, but they all seem to be on here. Everyone I talk to in town, in person, say satellite sucks. We have people on here who say install is everything, just thinking if I could self install myself I could go back to Viasat and be like those on here who brag about how it rocks.

So it appears my points are moot. Viasat won't let anyone self install, but they will send out a licensed tech in a sports car with a screw driver in his pocket and charge you $95 for that.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
I gotcha. Well install is more than just dish pointing. It includes the cable used, correctly crimped connectors, and proper grounding. That is just a few things that also have to be taken into consideration.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
I know all about everything except how to point the dish, I have done plenty of electrical work down to circuit board level on CNC machines. I know the issues about what a corroded, loose or dirty rack and panel connector can cause. I am also well versed in proper grounding. I have a shop full of computer controlled equipment. They all have isolated Earth grounds and their connections to the panel have their neutrals and grounds separated. I don't think a proper install of satellite internet is rocket science other than how to point the dish.

Considering that, if Viasat only allows access to dish pointing features on the modems to techs who show up in sports cars with nothing more than a screwdriver the point is moot for me.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
When we had ViaSat, I asked the local Radio Shack (a ViaSat reseller and someone I knew well and trusted) to send us the most reliable installers he knew of. Once I had that info, when we installed ViaSat, we ensured that installer was the one who got the installation order. It all worked out, they did a great job.

We had them out again to fix connections some years later and to fine-tune the dish. Again, they did a great job. It is true that getting a good installer is very important, but I would argue that there are good ones out there and it sometimes takes a little extra effort to figure out who they are (and to ensure those are the installers that you get).

The issues we had - and which eventually led us to go elsewhere - had nothing to do with our installation. Those issues were entirely due to a company change in business strategy as it pertained to the retail market and also due to a change in the level of service ViaSat would commit to for a Freedom - Boost account.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
When we had ViaSat, I asked the local Radio Shack (a ViaSat reseller and someone I knew well and trusted) to send us the most reliable installers he knew of. Once I had that info, when we installed ViaSat, we ensured that installer was the one who got the installation order. It all worked out, they did a great job.

We had them out again to fix connections some years later and to fine-tune the dish. Again, they did a great job. It is true that getting a good installer is very important, but I would argue that there are good ones out there and it sometimes takes a little extra effort to figure out who they are (and to ensure those are the installers that you get).

The issues we had - and which eventually led us to go elsewhere - had nothing to do with our installation. Those issues were entirely due to a company change in business strategy as it pertained to the retail market and also due to a change in the level of service ViaSat would commit to for a Freedom - Boost account.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 231 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Double-post was unintentional. You have got to love this 1990s bbs app.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations require a certified installer for satellite two-way data service, it is usually not possible for customers to perform satellite dish installations themselves.

A two way antenna obviously 'talks' back to the satellite and a misaligned site can interfere (create noise) with an adjacent satellite's incoming signal to noise. 

Also a poorly aligned antenna degrades the entire network's performance.

The large diameter dishes nearly all retail stores have on their roofs for credit card card transactions have extremely tight tolerances.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
I didn't even think Radio Shack was still in business, I haven't seen a store of theirs anywhere around me in years.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
I didn't even think Radio Shack was still in business, I haven't seen a store of theirs anywhere around me in years.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Ok, thanks guys. I have learned a lot in my short time here. A few things are obvious, and it appears giving Viasat another shot would be a crap shoot on my part and even if I was wealthy I don't like spending money on poor unreliable products. It seems from listening to knowledgeable posters the install of the service is everything, yet Viasat doesn't train their 3rd party installers well or hold them to any standards. Also no matter what you are willing to spend you cannot do it yourself.
My opinion of the on site techs is from first hand experience, not hearsay.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Ok, thanks guys. I have learned a lot in my short time here. A few things are obvious, and it appears giving Viasat another shot would be a crap shoot on my part and even if I was wealthy I don't like spending money on poor unreliable products. It seems from listening to knowledgeable posters the install of the service is everything, yet Viasat doesn't train their 3rd party installers well or hold them to any standards. Also no matter what you are willing to spend you cannot do it yourself.
My opinion of the on site techs is from first hand experience, not hearsay.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Richard - What is your signal level?
The RxSNR value

Which modem?
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 115 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
When I had my Viasat business 35 internet installed things were a bit different. The installing had do get on a video chat with someone from Viasat once the install was complete and show them where the dish was and also show were the modem was located. I was impressed with this. So he had to meet certain standards before he could leave. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
Business accounts have additional standards that go beyond the residential requirements/standards. Even for residential installs there are Viasat Installation Standards that require certified technicians provide some 10 separate photos of the install. Similarly there are standards on service call that require reviewing the existing install and correcting any issues (not simply showing up with a screwdriver and wrench to point and peak the dish).

Verifying that the standards are being met appears to be the problem.

This is not to imply that all installers/dealers are bad (there's a good one in this conversation but he's undoubtedly constrained on what he can say on a public forum by his retailer agreement)  but rather that a few bad ones can damage the Viasat brand. The sooner the bad one's are eliminated the better. There's a good one here but he's undoubtedly constrained about what he can say publicly.

I've always felt that Viasat should publicly post these standards (or an abbreviated version) so that subscribers can gauge the quality of install or service calls - how is the average subscriber to determine his/her install experience without that info? Those subscribers savvy enough know how to find that info and understand it are better positioned to evaluate their installs and service calls whether dealing with the fulfillment, dealer or wholesale channels.

(Edited)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Support local businesses

1 Ask local Dealer if they have inhouse installers
2 Ask if they offer inhouse tech support

The answers to those two questions can stack the deck in a new subscribers favor...
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
I just think the area I am in has no good options, it is notoriously poor for internet and cell service. Even the businesses in town complain about their cable internet. I can be within sight of a cell tower and have a 5 bar signal and drop calls.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
Sounds like Virginia. I am amazed when I travel in that state how bad the wireless coverage is. I can be 10 miles from a decent sized town and get no service. Go over a hill and then service. For as populated a state it is pretty bad.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Yep, Virginia. I don't know what the deal is.  You don't necessarily have to get 10 miles out of a large town to have poor cell coverage. I had a friend in Springfield, the cell coverage in his industrial complex was terrible, and that was in a real crowded area with businesses and traffic.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
There are people living less than 50 minutes from the nation's capital without reliable internet. Hard to fathom.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
Primarily an economic problem but further complicated by politics, corruption and bureaucratic barriers in a state controlled by it's heavily populated urban areas. The money keeps flowing to areas that don't need it.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
There is no doubt about that! Metro D.C. looks nothing like the America I know.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 380 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Maybe they should spend some of the money the city, county and state revenue agents collect and spend it on utility upgrades. By revenue agents I mean cops, they are thick as flies at the dump all over the whole state. Speed traps galore on all the major highways.They write hordes of tickets for the most petty things on the books.

You can look up traffic and criminal cases on the court docket in any jurisdiction. I got a ticket for an expired inspection sticker, when paying it online I had to look it up by court date. The cop that wrote my ticket was all over the days court docket, the clown wrote some people tickets that had up to 5 violations on them, he pretty much threw the book at everyone he stopped. He was writing no seat belt tickets, improper child seat mounting, etc,etc. 81 in a 70 is considered reckless driving here. Best to keep it at no more than 5 mph over when passing through Virginia.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
And I cant use my radar detector either!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2258 Posts
  • 1381 Reply Likes
I miss Virginia.