Have Unlimited Gold 30. Fast download speedtest but still slow/buffering at 720p on YouTube and Twitch. Why?

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
I have Unlimited Gold 30 plan which says I should have streaming at 720p.  However, I'm not getting this when trying to stream YouTube or TwitchTV, it's buffering every 20 seconds.  On ATT Speedtest I'm getting 38Mbps down and 4 Mbps up so speed seems to be fine.  Are YouTube and Twitch getting throttled more than they should be or is there some other problem here?  Problem exists on multiple devices and also with direct ethernet connection to modem.  
Photo of Jose Dundee

Jose Dundee

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2575 Posts
  • 1586 Reply Likes
Have you tried setting the Youtube quality setting to 720P. It could be that Youyube is set to Auto, and then it may be trying to send you videos at 1080P or even higher, thus resulting in the buffering.
Photo of Jose Dundee

Jose Dundee

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No I'm forcing it to 720p.  On auto it goes to 480p or even 360p sometimes.  TwitchTV same thing.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1860 Posts
  • 1532 Reply Likes
I would put all of your streaming services, youtube, netflix, etc. on AUTO.  Let the service determine what your streaming speed should be based on the quality of your connection. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2523 Posts
  • 1382 Reply Likes
Others have reported problems with streaming sites other than Netflix having buffering issue with the video resolution restrictor.

Scares me. Glad I am on unrestricted Feeedom.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2523 Posts
  • 1382 Reply Likes
I am right with you two. And in no hurry to give mine up for Viasat-2 and degraded video.

Don't mess with my video resolution! :)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1868 Posts
  • 862 Reply Likes
No video restrictions is a nice benefit of the Liberty plans as well.  As long as the bandwidth is available, I get full speed for whatever I am recording.

I sound like a broken record, but it works great for early morning and daytime recording of Netflix video with my Playon server.

My Playon server is pretty much caught up on its recordings.  Starting next month, I am only going to record during the LNFZ from 3am to 6am to conserve my 12 GB of priority data.

I figure the 1.14 TB (1,135 videos) of content my server has recorded over the past few months should last me for a while.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2523 Posts
  • 1382 Reply Likes
Downloading video to watch later is a beautiful thing. 1080p and no buffering!
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 120 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I have two accounts in the same location and have run a number of tests. My freedom 150 plan can run circles around my new silver plan. I have turned off the so called "Video Data Extender" and it makes no difference. Speed tests also show my Freedom 150 plan faster every time. Yet the Viasat marketing tells me the new plan with the "wifi" modem is faster.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3316 Posts
  • 3301 Reply Likes
Turning off the Video Data Extender is only available on non-unlimited plans - on unlimited plans like silver, it is always on - as now marketed on Silver plan it's "Video Streaming at Small Screen Quality Optimized for 480p" - translation (I haven;t seen the new wording yet for Bronze and Gold plans).

On unlimited plans detected video streams are throttled to a speed at best suitable for 480P. The only real gurantee is that video content providers will detect that lower speed and deliver that content at a quality they deem appropriate (that's called adaptive streaming).

With non-unlimited plans, the Video Data Extender cam be toogled on or off and does the same thing except it's always at a 480P threshold.    

See the following for some additional information regarding throttling speeds on unlimited plans:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/netflix-throttled-to-3-1-mbps-on-unlimited-gold-30-plan-n...

Run a speed test at fast.com (sponsored by Netflix) and it will estimate your video stream rate for detected videos. Other speed tests such as testmy.net will estimate your non-video bandwidth rate so you're comparing apples to oranges.