Has exede started slowing speeds on unlimited after going over 150 mbps?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I have used 170 gb and have 4 days left till data resets and tonight from about 8pm till now 10pm my download speed wasnt even 1 mbps Now it has creeped up to 4 mbps thats like the same speed it was when I went over on the Freedom Plan! I know the plan says we may put your speeds behind others who still have data but It Shouldnt be slowed that slow in my opinion
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
On a busy Sunday night in November? Don't be surprised if it gets that slow and even slower come late December. Always has in the past, expect it to be slower again this holiday season.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Probably will, but it won’t make me happy. Should be much faster even at 1 tb of data.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Ok well its better now about 5 mbps but it sucks during primetime cause I cant stream videos at all because the download is too slow! I guess until viasat2 is ready I will have to manage my 150gb better
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
Speeds past 150 GB on Unlimited plans totally depend on beam congestion at the time so, they will fluctuate a lot and, with many subscribers still on free zone plans, late evening and into the night is liable to be the worst.

All of that should improve as Viasat 2 begins to take some of the load off Viasat 1, or if you migrate to Viasat 2.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
well my beam must have been slammed the past 2 nights Bev, My data starts over Friday Sooooo when It does I will have to manage my 150gb better until viasat2 is ready
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes

Do you know your beam?  What area of the country?

For the past several years we have always struggled with Exede's performance around the holidays.  Now there are unlimited plans and no Viasat-2.  Viasat-2 will make a difference, but it won't be home in time for Christmas.  So expect SLLOOOOOWWWWW  from around December 20th through January 2nd.  Joy!

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3695 Posts
  • 3712 Reply Likes
Expect it to start degrading even sooner with Black Friday sales already beginning ;) Nobody waits to open the presents any more do they? Evenings, weekends, actual school holidays, etc. are likely all going to suffer starting right about now...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
True. But all the updates start taking place in and around Christmas day with all the new toys. Blu-ray players, smart Tv's, tablets, laptops, mobile devices, etc. It is the most slowest time of the year for satellite internet!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Question becomes why are unlimited plans still up for plans if the system can’t handle them. If the OP will look in his area and tell us if the unlimited plans are still offered for him, I’d appreciate it.

I want to see Exede succeed, but I also want quality internet for $150 of silver unlimited goodness.

If trends continue, I can see these plans getting a bad rep that will be hard to shake.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Well other than than the silver plan slowing down to 1 mbps for 2 hours in the evening after going over 150 I have no complaints, But I agree they should have waited until they was capable of providing good speeds 24/7 before releasing the plans
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Im in the north central Florida/Southern Georgia beam I think Its B351
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
I didn't think that was one of the more congested beams, but if there is a lot of video streaming going on all at once on the weekend, that could really slow down a beam.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
That is the priority data kicking in probably. You go behind those with priority data.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
My speed is so slow now That I cant even take a speed test! Im In Prime Time Now and Im sure my download speed is less that 1mbps! If I havent went over 150 mbps my download speed now would be over 10mbps! I have the same speed now that I did when I ran out of data on the freedom plan! My download speed should be higher than this it should be at least 5 mbps in my opinion because Im almost certain others on my beam who has data is getting 10 mbps sooooo people on silver plans who run out of data shouldnt be slowed down this slow But I will dang sure manage my data better when it starts over on Friday like I did when I was on the freedom plan and try and not run out of 150gb
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
I thought you had no complaints?
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
read my earlier comment to you above it says this: Well other than than the silver plan slowing down to 1 mbps for 2 hours in the evening after going over 150 I have no complaints, But I agree they should have waited until they was capable of providing good speeds 24/7 before releasing the plans
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
At first you made it sound like sub 1Mbps. That is an issue. If you’ve never experienced sub 1Mbps speeds and even then for only two hours, I’m not sure why the complaint in the first place.