Happy Valentine's Day

• Praise
  • Updated 9 months ago
Enough negativity here. lets all share the love and have a...
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
It's my dog's birthday so that gets celebrated
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1315 Reply Likes
I want some of those little hearts with the sayings on them that we were all forced to give to the other kids, including the nose picker, when we were in elementary school.  
Photo of Frederick Gralenski

Frederick Gralenski

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wish I had the same email format I had in January.  What Viasat foisted on me is TERRIBLE!!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3156 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
You don't have to use the email provided by Viasat. Most of us use Gmail or Yahoo mail, the Viasat email has too many problems to be considered a reliable service.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3498 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
We don't offer it anymore. I would recommend Gmail personally because that's what we used to have before they pulled the plug on ISP email hosting
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2407 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
I AGREE, BEV!  HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL!   
Photo of sherryanne

sherryanne

• 36 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Thanks for the lift, Bev! 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes

Bah humbug :)

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2140 Posts
  • 1301 Reply Likes
Nah.  That's Christmas.  For Valentines Day it's, "Yes, dear."  :)  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Not for all the lonely people.

Just another day for some.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2405 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
:(
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2140 Posts
  • 1301 Reply Likes
Very true. 
Photo of Ricky5

Ricky5

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
A good way to show love would be to make my internet faster. :)

Frederick Gralenski

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have to figure out how to get back to a google driven email like they had before, instead of this zimbra mess.  Some progress
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gralenski

Synacor owns Zimbra, and if you read their "privacy" policies, Cookies and Web Beacons , its clear they are selling users "cookies."  Viasat dumped their users to Zimbra, but I have no idea if Viasat got a piece of this action.  AT&T dumped Yahoo, and contracted with Zimbra, AT&T dumps Yahoo after 15-year partnership, and AT&T made a bundle off of their users with Yahoo.

Why Viasat can't offer Gmail again, with a small monthly charge, is beyond me.  Viasat wants to present a positive image, but their actions have spoken otherwise.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2119 Posts
  • 1286 Reply Likes
Likely because Gmail is free. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bev

Oh yeah, thanks for the thought....but I got creamed today on my beam...new traffic policy apparently for those on Classic Exede-5, 10GB plan.  I suspect they are robbing Peter (consumers) to pay Paul (30 Jan 2019 American Airlines will let you stream Apple Music over in-flight Wi-Fi for free).   Yes, those on AA will have a Happy Valentine's Day.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

I think they had the business class of gmail, without ads
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2119 Posts
  • 1286 Reply Likes
People can use an ad blocker for it.  I haven't seen an ad in Gmail in a very, very long time.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I never see an ad in my gmail. I dont use the web version of it though.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Ads are there, just not in your face with adblocker.  Point being, was the act of dumping existing users over to a "marketing" firm, for either making a buck off of them, or to rid themselves of another expense.

Morally, there's no excuse....even Facebook is learning the hard way: Facebook: multibillion dollar fine with FTC
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2119 Posts
  • 1286 Reply Likes
Well, I disabled my ad blocker, cleared my cookies, restarted Chrome and signed back into Gmail.  Still no ads.   

But, no matter, people can still use any free email they wish.  ViaSat probably dumped it due to it being an unneeded expense.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Really.....it even says "Ad"
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe...people can still use any free email they wish

In the beginning during consumer dialup days, there were lots of smaller full service Internet Service Providers, who offered Internet Access, along with email and Usenet services.  I'm not talking about AOL, Delphi, etc...but ISPs.

Then corporate America got into this business....and as Upton Sinclair might say, they milked the consumers who were paying for a service.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
IDK what you are talking about Jab (of course that is not unusual when it comes to your posts). 

Where are you seeing these ads?  I don't get ads in gmail nor do I get much spam.  It has some of the best spam detectors out there.  Actually...too good sometimes. 
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2119 Posts
  • 1286 Reply Likes
Oh, those ads?  That's pushing the claims of ads a little, isn't it?   Those aren't intrusive like ads on a web page, and they can easily be deleted, just like any other email.  

As for email itself, does it really matter?  There's plenty of free ones out there, and most of those free ones are better than any email offered by smaller ISPs.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I assume one is using POP3 and SMTP, or IMAP; in which case, ads would not be seen.  So, access Gmail via web interface....and see for yourself.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2119 Posts
  • 1286 Reply Likes
Where are you seeing these ads?
He's talking about the email type ads that you sometimes see in the Social and Promotion sections of Gmail.  It's a bit of a stretch to use the term ads, as what we consider ads are quite different than those, which aren't at all intrusive.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

No such thing as a 'free lunch'  Point made was we are paying for a service.  When we goto McDonalds, local businesses, are they sifting thru our "data" and reselling it?

There are still ISPs who do not infringe upon our privacy....the big boys see economic gains by treading down that road.  Yes, Google et.al. monetized this game, so the Big Boys said "me too."  Monkey See, Monkey Do.  Again, McDonalds and local businesses don't....totally unfair, hey?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2119 Posts
  • 1286 Reply Likes
I'm not quite sure which service you're referring to paying for.  If you're referring to ViaSat, you're paying for internet access, not an email address.  If you're using it in the sense of our information is being sold when we use a free email, such is life. Times change.  Today is not 1999.  It's 2019.  Information collected is often sold.   

I'll stick with my free email and the non intrusive "ads" and will continue to recommend the same to others.  It's nearly impossible to do anything on the net today without someone getting hold of some information about you and selling it.  Again, times change, as do policies.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe...nformation collected is often sold.

Quite true, in some countries, and except for Viasat's California customers.....but the point was brick-n-mortar stores don't get to frisk their customers.

I choose the sites visited....Facebook does not collect cookies at my ISPs (plural), nor do other websites....but some ISPs want a piece of this action and have said "me too" when the consumer is paying for a service.  I'm buying Internet service, remember, which morally is opposed to 'private dicks' "remembering" the sites I choose to visit.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
"Why Viasat can't offer Gmail again, with a small monthly charge, is beyond me."

Jab,  Gmail discontinued offering Gmail to Viasat and other ISP's.  Nothing Viasat can do about that or I guarantee they would still be using them.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You still can.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
Anyone can get Gmail, all you need to do is sign up for an account. It is free.
(Edited)

Frederick Gralenski

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Not sure what my 'plan' is, but it's $69+ a month, they don't recognize my password, and I can't get my usage...