Greed over Ethics.

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
This is not right. It might be “legal” but ethically it’s not. When CUSTOMERS sign up for a plan that YOUR COMPANY offers and we are told we can stay with the plan as long as service isn’t interrupted and we will be grand-fathered then you change the contract to benifit you.... it’s not ethical. You don’t seem care because you know that you have most of YOUR CUSTOMERS over a barrel because they have very few options. If “Viasat Listens” then prove it and right your wrong. You offered the plans and now you’re attempting to force people to choose a different one. Viasat, own up to this mistake and do what’s morally right. To the pin heads that are doing this...shame on you!! This is YOUR mistake, not ours. You should have to fix it, not us! Many of the customers, including myself have defended you when we felt you were doing the best you could...this would not be one of those circumstances.

I am requesting this post along with all the comments be forwarded up the Viasat chain.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 51 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I know how you feel it sucks but i'd recommend looking into a mobile hotspot with verizons new unlimited plan for 65 a month , no contracts or signing up etc and cheaper than 2/3 viasat plans ( liberty 25 and 50 ) and its actual unlimited net all you'd need is a hotspot the sim card and a router if you want/need wifi and possibly a antenna/booster for getting better signal/service
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I can only get Viasat, Hughesnet, or Frontier DSL where I live - look up Frontier's customer ratings if you think Viasat is bad. I have searched for this "unlimited for $65" Verizon plan several people have mentioned, and all I can find is plans with a soft cap and then degraded speeds, just like we're all complaining about here. Not much of a choice, is it?
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
this is what I have found in California... but... they say that the speeds will slow at congested times... depends on how busy your cell tower gets? no guarantees ... other than less latency...

but.. it is unlimited.. not 150 gigs etc...  and it is almost 1/2 the price... and there is no 2 year contract... in fact no contract at all... my issue is that I don't think I have verizon cell service where I live... definitely don't have att or any other coverage.. I might try and long range antenna and see if I can get it a signal from verizon.. but.. it is time and $
https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

(Edited)
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thanks panahead - I didn't go thru the prepaid pathway, so I didn't see this.
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I've dug into this further, and it looks like they slow you down to crappy speeds after a certain data usage - as low as 600k after 15 or 20g. Not as much of a deal as I had hoped
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That is how I have understood it in the past too.

I mean, is it anymore "unlimited" than what Viasat is?!?!?
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
"I've dug into this further, and it looks like they slow you down to crappy speeds after a certain data usage - as low as 600k after 15 or 20g. Not as much of a deal as I had hoped"

No they certainly do not, you are looking at the wrong plan if you see that.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Approaching 150GB this month.  Almost 10 minutes before 8pm.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7985289450.png

(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Nice barg , Glad your seeing good speeds , How many bars of signal you have atm?
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Sitting here a little under 11 miles from the tower, at least 1/4 mile of trees right by the house, the hub shows 4 bars.  I tried digging in the menu, but I don't see an actual dBm reading anywhere, hadn't looked before, not much in there.

As I say, if I get time, I'm going to point the antenna at the new tower, 13 miles away, but line of sight.  I'm curious how it will work.  Population density drops to around 1 person per square mile in that zipcode, compared to about 3 in mine.  So it will have even less users.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Heck, I am less than 3 miles from my tower and only get 2 -3 bars.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
My phone is line one on the prepaid account, on 8GB though.  I put it next to the hub, it says -84dBm with 4 bars.  Speed test on the phone's data at 8:03, 18.3 down, 9.13 up.

Also, I mentioned in one of my other posts, somebody said the unlimited plan might drop in price on the 24th.  It sort of did in some stores, but I don't know if it will work on the jetpack plan.  https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2019/01/verizons-prepaid-unlimited-plan-costs.html

Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Vetsat, before the booster I'd get a shaky 1 with Verizon.  But with the new tower, I can get 2 without a booster in some places in the house.  Also, my yard doesn't seem to have dead spots like it did before (phone would drop out in the middle of a couple pastures, especially about 3/4 mile away, and didn't work at all in my machine shed, etc.).  That new tower is there, I haven't stopped closer to it to do a speed test to see if it's any faster.  I was thinking I might at least get a better quality signal from it without going through the trees.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Probably so.

They are going to blow out the mifi devices, as a new model hits in March. Supposedly, the new model will be 4G and 5G compatible (even though 5G will he extremely scarce at this time).
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Barg - I looked at the plan information link and links contained therein for the "unlimited" prepaid data plan ($65/mo with autopay), and it states what I posted above for mobile hotspots. It's not easy to find, but it is in there. If I am in error, please show me where it says so - you would make my life much easier.
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Barg - I looked at the plan information link and links contained therein for the "unlimited" prepaid data plan ($65/mo with autopay), and it states what I posted above for mobile hotspots. It's not easy to find, but it is in there. If I am in error, please show me where it says so - you would make my life much easier.
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
OK - not sure why that got posted twice - sorry!
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I just did some looking.  I'm probably blind, but I don't see it anywhere.  What you describe is how the ~post~ paid accounts act (or data capped phone plans that have hotspot access, the old unlimited plan, now not available had 600k hotspot on the phone).  Either I'm not seeing it, which is possible if they changed it recently (nothing in the news about that change), or you accidentally got into the postpaid section.  Could you maybe post a link to what you're seeing?  Going through the motions of buying a jetpack, this is about as detailed as I see (attached).  Now, it does say 720p video, I suppose Verizon might enforce that some time, but they haven't yet (streaming speed for me is capped around 10meg, which is better than 1080p).  In fact, I expected them to put in more limits, which is why I got it right away hoping they might grandfather a person in.  But, things like 720p, still good enough for me (plus, VPN gets around that).

I've had this plan since it came out, and have used approaching to or over 100GB each cycle, and I've read reports of people using a LOT more data than me with no issues or additional slowdowns.  Plus, Verizon has no data meter with these plans, there isn't a way to check data usage to see how much you've used (from the company).
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 315 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Gwen which hotspot do you use I am looking for one and would like one that I could connect more then just a couple things
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Barg - I found the info I talked about in the prepaid plan purchase process. I went to prepaid data plans, selected a device, selected the unlimited plan. On the screen where you choose your plan are two links, one of which is "important broadband information" www.verizonwireless.com/support/broadband-services/ .
Within that page is a link:

www.verizonwireless.com/support/important-plan-information/. It is the data in this link that specifies the speed limitations I speak of. I am, however, confused, because the page you pictured above, which I have also found on my own, seems to contradict the limitation policies I am asking about in the link I provided above, specifically notes 1 and 4 - 1 because the plan offers unlimited high-speed data. There is a Verizon store nearby; perhaps I should go talk to them to seek clarification. Thanks for your help in trying to sort this out!

Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Barg - I found the info I talked about in the prepaid plan purchase process. I went to prepaid data plans, selected a device, selected the unlimited plan. On the screen where you choose your plan are two links, one of which is "important broadband information" www.verizonwireless.com/support/broadband-services/ .
Within that page is a link:

www.verizonwireless.com/support/important-plan-information/. It is the data in this link that specifies the speed limitations I speak of. I am, however, confused, because the page you pictured above, which I have also found on my own, seems to contradict the limitation policies I am asking about in the link I provided above, specifically notes 1 and 4 - 1 because the plan offers unlimited high-speed data. There is a Verizon store nearby; perhaps I should go talk to them to seek clarification. Thanks for your help in trying to sort this out!

Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Why does it keep double-posting?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 840 Posts
  • 507 Reply Likes
Because this Get Satisfaction platform is a total piece of crap. Members have complained about it for years and asked Viasat to go back to the old style of forum which was much more user friendly.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I'm doing chores now, but searched the page you mentioned briefly. I'll look better later in the day after I'm out of the tractor. Quick search, I didn't see prepaid on that page but could have missed it. It mentioned above and beyond, and other plans, which are all postpaid. I didn't see prepaid mentioned in a search of the page, but, did it quickly.

Verizon reps often don't know about this plan, you have to ask for the plan number sometimes.

Howardforums and Reddit have a lot of discussion on this plan. It is what we say it is.

@fmj, they should have kept the Wildblue forum, off topic section especially.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
After another ~quick look, that does look like it's for the post paid only.  The mobile hotspot/tethering in that is referring to the feature on a smartphone, not a jetpack.  The limitations on this plan are the "HD only" streaming, and also, it is deprioritized full time.  So, similar to satellite, if your tower is congested, during times of congestion, you will have slower speeds because you are behind the priority customers.  But, like my area, doesn't happen, at least noticeably.  And, areas with more capacity see faster speeds.  There is no threshold, no additional slowdowns after X amount used, and no hard throttling to a certain speed, period.  Plus, even at slower speeds, low latency helps a lot.  I had the smartphone unlimited prepaid plan for a while, hotspot was unlimited at 600K, which I often got around 700.  Low pings, page to page web browsing was "excellent".  Without video, basic use, it worked well enough -here.

Essentially, being deprioritized full time, you are getting a portion of left over/unused capacity, ...sort of.

The plan number to ask about is 28366 I think if you speak to a rep and they don't know about the prepaid unlimited jetpack plan.

Also, a few youtube videos about this plan, and articles, some people do have congestion.  But, prepaid, not out much if you try it and it doesn't work.
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Went to a Verizon store today and found about the level of knowledge I expected. She was "pretty sure" the prepaid was not subject to throttling, and then told me that it didn't matter because jetpacks are limited to 600k download speed all the time. Guess the rest of my research will have to be online. Thanks for your help!
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 315 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
i would watch those videos but have to do so on my phone using verizon cause right now viasat is too slow to watch one 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 315 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yeah I never rely on techs or phone sales people that is why I have such a big issue with all tthis, why cant I do my own research cause I am not going to believe a word of what the Viasat person tells me on the phone number they told me to call. I want everything in black and white i can see and read myself. If I walkin/call for service and have a question I didnt do enough research first LOL 
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I read about some experiences with the reps, that's why people posted that plan number when the reps couldn't even find the plan, had a little bit of experience myself, just with ordering, online..., direct from VZ, adding it to an existing account, before I got it on my own from Amazon.

The plan works like we've said.  Can't say it will work for all the people considering it, because, as with satellite, several variables.  I know that it won't work "great" in all areas.  No way of knowing without trying it out first.  But, every time I've run a speed test, it's close to the one's I've posted and talked about. 

I usually figure most stuff out myself, might not get it exactly right, but things usually turn out.

Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
As far as Verizon is concerned only the manager in the local store seems to be knowledgeable, the other two employees both told me things that were wrong about the Jetpack. I even got bad advice from tech support over the phone. They definitely aren't the greatest, but for me they are 10 times better than VIASAT.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Mark. very well said! i couldn't agree with you any more... Their behaviour is wrong and unethical!
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 637 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
Anyone know a good reporter that can get this story out to the masse?.  Only the Court of Public Opinion has a chance of influencing Viasat and/or Viasat investors!
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Michael

If I had a degree into investors and knew the technology and if i graduated from high school instead of dropping out of school. Then I would likely want to be an investor. But I cant cause i dropped out of school and im dealing with alot of stuff at the moment. But yeah you bet I will if i didnt drop out of high school that is :l

Michael McDowell

• 637 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
@Deku

Just read your other post.  My contract will be up in April so I will probably be right there in line with you to turn in my Viasat stuff!  If they don't get this fixed by then!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I believe Deku was one of the first to report the email if I am not mistaken?

She was also quite upset with the performance of her internet.

When you have lost Deku's support for your product, turn off the lights the party is over!
(Edited)

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
ummmm... if ummm... yall guys need me... imma going to be taking my leave off the forums for a couple of days or weeks...

P.S.!!! I DONT EVER RECALL MAKING A POST ABOUT RECEIVING AN EMAIL AND BEING THE FIRST ONE!!! I NEEDS SOLID PROOF OF ME MAKING THAT POST :l
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Didn't you post something about "median" speed around the first of the year??? Then you also posted how bad your speeds had been. I remember posted where did the real Deku go!

I am supporting you here. Not sure why you seem upset.

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
P.S.S.!!! IF VIASAT EVER NEEDS TO CALL ME ON MY CELLPHONE NUMBER A 2ND TIME!!! ILL END UP CHANGING IT!!! AND NOT GIVE VIASAT MY NEW PHONE NUMBER!!! OR!!! ILL JUST END UP NOT ANSWERING!!! I GOTS 2 OPTIONS FOR MYSELF!!! NOW IF YOU CAN EXCUSE ME!!! IMMA LEAVING THIS FORUMS FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS TO WEEKS!!! SOOOO!!! GOOD DAYS!!!
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Do I like it? NO, NO, and NO again. Do I understand why it was done, Yes - have to keep the revenue up to even offer residential service and, with the VS2 problems, it's going to be VS3 before things start to look better.

So yeah, I'm riding it out, Hughenet being my only other option. VS3 isn't that far off and, maybe it will get better then.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
 Bev, I agree with you... Meaning I understand... But I still feel that just because they made some poor choices we the customers shouldn't have to pay for their bad judgement... they should ride it out... not their customers... BTW what is the problem with VS2? i am already looking into Hughes... and Verizon...
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Sometimes the rationale is simply hiding in plain sight:

From time to time, Viasat makes updates to policies that impact our customers’ service. We recently updated our Network Management Policy to ensure the best experience for the majority of customers on our network.  We have also notified any customers who are impacted by this change by letter and email.
With an emphasis on the majority...

I'm sure Brad, Diana and Matt B would like to say more, but they probably want to keep their jobs. Tough business decisions must be made for residential services to remain a viable segment of Viasat's offerings and some subscribers truly don't have a viable option. If Viasat were to go out of business or abandon residential service in favor of commercial and government focus, many of us would be SOL.  

There will most likely be some collateral damage when the dust settles as we limp along toward Viasat-3.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 871 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
Many of us would definitely be SOL. I'm one of them. My only choices are satellite and dial up, with Viasat being the best of them by far.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Panahead. Viasat-2's antennas failed to fully deploy, As a result its coverage area was impacted.

While publically Viasat said it wasnt that big of deal and The antenna failure would have a minimal impact, an insurance settlement of around $185 million dollars due to lost revenue suggests otherwise.

Initially when Viasat offered the 150GB priority data "unlimited" plans, I thought that was an awful big leap. About 6 months later my fears were realized when they significantly curtained the amount of priority data. A year later they are doing this again.

Again, while it wont be disclosed publically, I fully believe it is due to Viasat-2's failures that we continue to see these plan modifications as Viasat struggles to handle increased internet traffic with less bandwidth than they originally planned on.

But what do I know, I am not an internet engineer, nor do I play one on this forum.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
 VeteranSatUser.  thanks for the info...i appreciate it... it makes sense and certainly helps to understand the current situation... but like my grandpa always said... "never count your chickens until the eggs hatch"
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Exactly! I feel the "unlimited plans were released before they should have been. I suspect pressure to maintain and increase revenue in light of stagnant customer growth is what happened. Now they have a mess.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
The premature counting of chickens was not limited solely to Viasat as I remember it ;) 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Regardless, I am not the one that lured people into 'unlimted" plans that were not really unlimited and offering 150GB of priority data. Many people gave up Freedom and Liberty plans for it, paid more, and found they had less.

Now, over a year later, they are degrading those plans more. Putting myself un those customers shoes, I would be mad too.

Just because a company has the right to change a plan doesn't mean they should, alienated long time customers.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Those chickens that were incubating and hatched on Viasat-1 during the fall of 2017 have simply come home to roost.

The Unlimited Plans on Viasat-1 were a test trial for Viasat-2. The conference calls suggested that 40,000 subscribers hopped on them on Viasat-1. The question often asked but never really answered was where did all of the capacity come from to offer those. Similar questions were asked about "virtually unlimited" Freedom and can't be much more than the number of unlimited users on Viasat-1. 150GB is the magic number.

The capacity was never there. So let's estimate 100,000 as a guess on the plans affected based on subscriber counts for older birds they've probably still got upwards of 400,000 limited plans users that there attempting to satisfy with these changes. It's a numbers game as I see it, but I could be wrong and probably am.  

Speculation ran rampant during those days, despite repeated statements by the moderators here that they only were anticipating better plans.

Not saying any don't have a right to be angry but what is the solution on Viasat-1? I see none, that will satisfy the majority of subscribers on Viasat-1 other than that which has now been adopted.
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
What about the option of honoring the plans that they sold... Stop selling any new plans and tough it out until they can get more bandwidth? They seem to have run out of product? Or come up with some "funky" solution/compromise of "throttling" bandwidth to the "grandfathered" plans during times of congestion so that the plans remain usable? IE make sure that the speed doesn't drop below a certain amount? At the moment our plans (mine) is unusable during peak hours... my speeds average less than 1mbps from 5pm until after 11:30pm every night

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Think about that panahead, what is the only way that Viasat can guarantee you a minimum "speed" at any time given a fixed capacity of 140 Gbps (or 140,000 Mbps). Now consider that that 140 Gpbs is probably distributed equally across all 72 beams and some will suggest that Viasat can shift capacity between beams on Viasat-1 bt I don;t think that's the case.  

How many users (a rough order of magnitude on each beam and total overall) could be supported if guaranteeing a minimum of 1Mbps per user at all times. Its a capacity issue not speed.
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ) i am certainly not a expert in data management nor do I even pretend to understand it... all i can do is try and find a compromise that might work for those of us that have been affected by the change... they seem to have the ability to prioritize certain accounts... just wondering if they might be able to find a way to give us more bandwidth than 1mbps during prime times of congestion? Thoughts? I wonder how many accounts were grandfathered in and are affected by this change? 10,000? less? more?
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Not unless they limit the number of subscriber's that can be connected - not sure anyone would appreciate having to wait in line for somebody to logoff before they could use it. At home, I demand nobody else take a shower while I am nor should they flush or use the hot water, but I can get away with it and it's one of the inconveniences of being on a well.

The only thing I do with my little bitty share of that Viasat-1 bandwidth is use it efficiently and shift my usage to off hours but I have the flexibility to do that, other don't.

Regardless, the winter of our discontent continues.
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Thanks... And I get it... It's just disappointing to have been promised something then have them take it away.. had I known from the get go then I wouldn't have gotten my expectations up so high... and then so pissed when they take it away...

and another saying from my grandpa... "Illegitimi Non Carborundum"...  Don't let the bastards grind you down...

Life goes on...

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Old Labs is exactly right as always. Keep in mind that Viasat-1 is already 7 years old, yet it was designed at least a decade ago. Internet usage has changed a lot (look at streaming alone) since then. I mean Viasat-1 initially offered plans of 7 5GB per MONTH. Think about that! That is not even one 2 hour HD movie today. So as consumer internet needs have changed, Viasat has struggled to keep up with the demand.

Things are going to get worse before they get better.
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I agree 100% that our appetite for bandwidth is only going to increase.. by a lot! what do you think is the answer to feed us all that live in rural areas without cable.. fiber.. hell even landlines? how do the small satellite networks that have been talked about work? 5g? more cell towers? what is it going to be in 5 years?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3128 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
Old Labs, I can remember back in the '90s I had a small family run dial up service. Worked fair until evening came, and their servers were taxed to capacity, and there were times that I would have to try to connect up to a dozen times before establishing a connection. Frustrating, but it was all we could get around here. And with the quality of Verizon's land lines, ma speeds I ever saw was 21 Kbps, but 18 Kbps was more typical. The plan had no data limits, but was o slow I couldn't reliably connect to my online banking. I gave up that and went with Wildblue in 2008, that 500 Kbps connection seemed like heaven. Ties have certainly improved since then.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
tonight at 8:45pm...
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I'm on 150 kbps atm lol hoping it'll get better when i get this new hotspot in
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2732 Posts
  • 1426 Reply Likes
Thankfully Viasat isn’t owned by Sears.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
must be toys R us LOL 
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Since this "re-definition" of 25M speeds has been put in place, I have not seen more than 14.* up and 1.* down at any time of day or night; I keep a weird schedule, so I can check it via Speedtest during on and off hours. This has gone on for weeks - well before I received the e-mail we have all come to love. My Verizon 8800L is on it's way.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What route did you take to get the 8800L with the prepaid unlimited plan?!?!
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hi this is panahead... I just bought a 8800L myself... I called my local Verizon store and they held one for me... picked it up yesterday.. and got the $40 plan to test it... will upgrade to the $65 unlimited if it works for me... . I managed to get 1 to 2 bars of reception at my “solar shed” but nothing at my main house... also ordered a fancy dual antenna that I’m picking up tomorrow.... will keep you posted...
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
That's great pana , Look forward to hearing back from you , I hope its alot better for you than viasat is
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
With Barg's help, I did a lot of research on the plan and the best device for it. The 7730L looks good too, but it is out of production even though it is still available (according to a VZW rep), and I need a tethered connection to my LAN, which nothing else provides. The 8800L is the latest and greatest, even though it seems to be having some teething problems - heck, my Viasat modem conks out more than 3 times per day, on average, for no apparent reason. I ordered an 8800L from a provider on ebay because no one anywhere near me has it in stock yet. Several different chat sites and a VZW rep told me it is compatible with the unlimited prepaid BYOD plan, so I pulled the trigger yesterday. I will have it this week, and will see how things go from there. During the last week I have been experimenting with my VZW phone as a tethered hotspot, and I have been getting consistently better (sometimes very much better) speeds than with my Viasat connection; in addition, my average pingtime is 10% of a satellite time or less  (I understand that may not be a reliable prediction for the 8800L's performance, but it will be close). I have no longtime beefs with Viasat, but over the last couple years it has gotten progressively slower and the modem has become more prone to randomly restarting itself. The last few weeks have really soured the experience for me. I knew what I was getting into with a satellite connection - when I came to Viasat it was truly the best option available to me. Due to the recently degraded performance and "definition" of 25M service, that no longer seems to be the case.

Also, it appears that my edit to my previous post isn't showing up; I had added a sentence to explain that most of the time my speeds are much worse - 2M to 5M down, occasionally much lower, with primetime being in the 300k to 500k range more often than not.

PP
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yes. I saw you can attach a nice antenna to the 8800L.

But how do you know you can then switch it to the prepaid unlimited plan? If you buy the prepaid unlimited plan from the start, the 8800L device is not an option.

Appreciate the updates. My speed is back to normal (normal for me is 500kbps to 1Mbps during primetime). But this unlimited plan could be a way to transfer a ton of content from to avoid going into a 150GB hard cap like what happened to Gwen.

In the old days the Viasat hard cap was around 225kbps. They can't even deliver that to me at times, and that was 2.5GB of data into my usage cycle!
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
In fact, the 8800L is an available option for the unlimited prepaid plan, but it is not yet listed as such on the VZW website. I have received several confirmations of this from enough sources that I feel I can trust it to be true.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What did you pay for your 8800L?
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
i could have gotten the unlimited plan with the 8800L and they said i can upgrade to the unlimited via a pjhone call whenver i like and only pay the difference between the 2 plans... the 8800L has 2 antena ports in which is a good sign... and it is already getting between 1 and 2 bars.. cell phones get zip... nada...
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I paid $179 for mine. The list price is $199 or more at most retailers.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
i paid $199.. with a outright purchase... i have a 14 return policy... t they want a $50 restocking fee.. but the guy at the store felt my pain and said he would wave it if a brought it back...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Price sounds right. The 8800L has good reviews. I think 15 devices can connect to it too.

I wonder if any wifi extenders work with it?
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
you are correct that you can connect 15 devises to it... and i am going to use a old router in wireless bridge mode to extend the signal from the 8800L... https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/

How do I configure my Nighthawk router as a wireless repeater? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

(Edited)

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
If it has a router built in it should work with an extender.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Exactly... but if you want or need to connect the signal to a Ethernet cable I think that this will work?

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Most extenders have at least 1 Ethernet port.  Not  familiar enough with the router setup to answer that. 
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@vetsatuser I tried  an old Linksys RE3000W I had and it worked, only 2.4 ghtz. But that was ok. Then I plugged it into a tplink router.

I don't use an antenna with mine. I only get 2-3 bars and it is still awesome. Not much traffic where I live.
(Edited)
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hey Panahead - let me know what antenna you get and how it works out for you.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I will keep you posted... I sure hope that it works for me... it looks like it is close to 8 miles as the crow flies to the tower... so i am not sure how good my connection will be?  plus going to keep a eye on the congested times to make sure that i'm not back in the same boat as I am now...

Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I hear you there - it is about 5 miles for me, in the woods, so I expect it to vary with the seasons. I had VZW as an ISP once before - before 4G LTE was even available in my area, so I have some idea what to expect. I will probably keep my Viasat account for a month or two as a fallback in case there are unexpected problems.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
i took Gwens advice and got this antena... https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Cross-Polarized-High-Gain-Fixed-Mount-Antenna/dp/B01NBSLNJ6  and the cables... you need 2 sets of cables and pigtails to make it work... gets pricey when it is all said and done.. but if it doesn't work then i will return it all... it is just sad that Viasat did what they did to us... i was a happy camper.. 
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
That is one serious antenna! I look forward to hearing how well it works for you. I agree about Viasat - I play some online games, but found I could live with 600ms ping times. The speed was better than I got from anyone else when I signed on (June 2014). I was ecstatic when the 150G 25M plan became available in my area, and I jumped all over it. It worked really well for quite some time, but the last 6 months have been a bit frustrating, and the last two months have, well, read my posts above.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I agree... I am have 2 options... Viasat or Hughes... nothing else.. unless this Verizon actually works... and I was always keeping a eye on my data use until the silver 25/150 plan came out and I like you jumped on it right away... and was very happy with it... then my speeds started dropping at prime times...I couldn’t figure it out and wound up coming onto this forum seeing if other people were experiencing the same problem ... I am completely shocked and amazed that they have done what they have to their customers... sold them plans with a 2 year commitment then stopped honoring their end of the deal? It’s just amazing... I understand that they are over extended... but I can’t believe that they reneged on the plans that were grandfathered in...
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
PrestonPig hmm... i went to town and picked up the new fancy antenna... and... it sadly didn't live up to my expectations...  my verizon Mifi on its on... without a exernal antenna was getting 1 to sometimes 2 bars... i hooked up the new antenna and was only able to get maybe 3 bars max... tried pointing it and gradually adjusting it then waiting for the results... even rebooted the gadget a couple of times... but 3 bars (out of a possible of 5) was maximum... my download speeds were between 1mbps and up to 2.5 or 3 mbps.. but my upload speed were average maybe 5 to 6mbps? going to call the manufacture tomorrow and see if the guys in tech support can help me... and if anyone has any ideas please feel free to chime in.. i could use any and all help..
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That is about what I get out if my tower.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
baby steps.... I have faith that I can massage a little more out of this tower... (even if I can't see it)
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That ping and jitter are way too high for a wireless connection.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
 VeteranSatUser I agree... the tower is just under 8 miles away...(straight line) and it isn't line of sight... I have a mountain ridge between us... so... not optimum.. but it's what I have to work with... here is a another test I just did... getting better..baby steps... thoughts? help?

Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Ouch - I'm sorry you didn't get the results you were hoping for. If you can gain a bar consistently it helps, but I would hope for two additional bars. When I had VZW as my ISP in the past, I had similar problems - before 4g LTE was available here, but a can antenna from the 3gstore helped a lot - I was usually able to maintain at least 3g speeds. Perhaps they can help you if you need it - they specialize in cellular internet solutions. Nonetheless, I still feel good about how it will work for me. I have been using my cellphone as a tethered modem the last few nights - it is also a VZW device with hotspot abilities. I generally only get two bars with it sitting on my desk, but I just ran a speed test not 5 minutes ago: Viasat:627ms ping, 11.22 down, 1.16 up; VZW 37ms ping, 17.69 down, 1.01 up. earlier today it was as high as 5.15 up. Don't give up just yet - there is probably a solution out there.

PP
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You are awful far from the tower to begin with, and don't have a line of site.

I am afraid you are going to be limited with speeds. Viasat is probably still going to be your best option.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
here is my current speed with Viasat at 9pm on Sunday night.. dial up would be faster...  at least on the download part...?
(Edited)
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I certainly saw numbers like that recently.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
A stagnant customer base and alienating a number of customers, driving them away.

I think there is more going on to these customer agreement changes than meets the eye.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I went online and was looking to see what plans they are selling I’m my area now... they are saying none...that the demand is to high and that they can’t sell anymore... I wouldn’t be surprised that they underestimated the amount of streaming going on... Facebook... Netflix... Hulu... instagram... etc etc...
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I went online and was looking to see what plans they are selling in my area now... they are saying none...that the demand is to high and that they can’t sell anymore... I wouldn’t be surprised that they underestimated the amount of streaming going on... Facebook... Netflix... Hulu... instagram... etc etc...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That is why you see such bad prrimetime speeds.

Internet usage continues to increase while Viasat-2 failed to provide the expected relief. Now they are trying to reign in usage after over committing.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Yep....
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
This is right now. Not the highest I have gotten. But very usable. I have a Smart TV & Roku hooked up to it. It is 9:26 am. I am working through VPN and have 4 VMs running.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I couldn't even come close to that. Your tower is probably connected to fiber. Mine isnt. It appears to use wireless to connect to another tower. In essence, my tower appears to be a big repeater.

This article, while a couple years old, is still depressing. While you might get good 4GLTE today, there is only one way the speed is going to go.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-c...
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 871 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
Just got the email today from Viasat with the bad news. It looks like those of us on the Freedom 12Mbps plan are not immune either.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Well that is disappointing.

Keep us posted on your speeds. IDC about Stephen's magic beam speeds. I want to know how people are people impacted by this plan change.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3128 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
I just got the email this afternoon too. Freedom 12 mbps, no service in my area from the technically impacted VS2 so my choices, if I were to switch plans, are 12 mbps Liberty 12, 25 and 50 GB ones.

This morning speed was 13.2 mbps, now at 5:45 pm it is 5.3 mbps. I varies greatly most days from 13 mbps to 840 kbps. I have used 26 GB of my 150 GB allotment.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Still good speeds. I don't get too wound up until I see speeds south of 500kbps. That is a problem.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 871 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
I think I'm just gonna ride it out for now and see what happens. I'm not a heavy user during primetime so hopefully it won't affect me too much. Switching to Hughes is not an option as those plans are way worse than what Viasat offers. My options for downgrading on Viasat are unlimited Bronze 12, Silver 25 and Gold 30. I don't think those are on Viasat 2.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1956 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
That's what I have available in my area (Bronze 12, Silver 25 and Gold 30).  It's not enough to entice me away from what I already have.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 871 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
Gabe, what plan are you currently on with HN? The plans Hughes offers in my area are worse than Viasat's fake "unlimited" plans.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1956 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
I have the 20GB Gen5 plan.  It's enough for me.  I've never run out of data.  I do take some advantage of the 50GB of 2AM to 8AM data, though.  
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 871 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
Your plan is similar to Viasat's Silver 25 plan but about $30 cheaper per month. I wouldn't switch either.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1956 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
My speeds tend to be very good, too, luckily.  I'm on a Stephen Rice type beam.  LOL.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 871 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
Honestly, the speeds on my Freedom plan have usually been pretty good as well. I didn't even experience much slow down this past holiday season. My beam must not be as congested as others.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1956 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
What kind of speeds do you normally see, and how much difference do you normally see between day and evening?  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 871 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
I can usually get 12-17Mbps during the day and in the wee hours of the night/morning. During primetime I don't even bother running speed tests because I know it's probably gonna be terrible.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1956 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
Mine can dip pretty good in the evening, too.  And when the congestion hits, forget even watching something on Youtube in 360p.  
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
after 2 pm youtube wont even load for me , cant even watch anything in 144 p 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Well you hit the hard cap.

In the old days, the old cap was 225kbps. They can't even deliver that to you now!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1956 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
When I had my old legacy plan and hit the daily cap, there was barely enough speed to even be able to get onto the token page to use one.  It would often time out.  So we're talking probably under 30Kbps.  
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Ok I am having fits setting up My Verizon when I put my jetpack phone number it I get an error and I know I typed it in right how do you put money on my account if I cant get into it 

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Someone said you have to use different email accounts for Vzn prepaid vs. postpaid?
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I did see some people having issues with that. With an existing phone it was really easy. Their prepaid support isn't the best.
https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comm...

Number here under 11.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/suppo...
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I dont have postpaid at all but yeah thanks barg looks like I am going to have to call tomorrow  thanks
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
barg called them and got it set up tech support was great and made sure they stayed on until I got it all set up and could get on the page to pay bill etc
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
SonyaA are you up and running with the Jetpack now?
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Yup, the setting up the account part was a nightmare for me uhg. Took over 2 hours with support. I tried to set it up everything went good till I tried to log back in that's when it got caught in a loop they had to remove my account to fix it then add me back.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yeap panahead love being able to download and stream as much as I like very nice. But yea there is some pretty slow periods during heavy usage times like prime time tv time but I just watch a bit of tv during this time. I am keeping me 150 only because I know I cant get it back if I dump it. But with the jetpack I am dropping plans on my cell cause I wont need unlimiited on the phone now so the jetpack is just going to end up costing us about $25 a month which I think is well worth having to download xbox games and download VOD on dishnetwork. Also if one gets slow I just jump on the other 
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@Sonya , What are your typical speeds on your jetpack ?
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I can't speak for Sonya, But I've had my 8800l jetpack activated for about 29 hours now. Most of my speed tests are around 20M down. I have had two test during "prime time" that were closer to 10M down Just now - midnight CT, I got: 50ms, 19.55 down, 3.01 up. Highest I've seen so far was apprx. 23M down, 5M up. I haven't cancelled my 150/25 plan yet, but it won't be long.

PP
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@preston , Wow thats pretty good speeds , Im glad its working for you well : ) Can you tell us about how far you might be from a tower ? and if your using a antenna etc ?
(Edited)
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
By my rough figuring, I am 5 miles as the crow flies from the nearest tower (maybe a bit more - I really must map it out one day), with slightly hilly terrain and lots of trees between us. I expect these speeds to slow down as spring approaches and the trees leaf out, and some more in summer when the tourist season is in full swing. On the other hand, I have no external antenna, and my jetpack is sitting on a windowsill that's sorta on the same side of my house as the cellular tower, so there's room for improvement. I also expect these speeds to still be far better than some of the crap speeds I've been seeing since the "re-definition" of what 25M means.

PP