Great Speed but very big delay?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
So, my husband and I just moved and have had internet for 1 day.  I am not afraid of spending money so I went all in on the internet.  Speeds are fanastic; however, there is such a big delay I can't play the games I normally would.  Netflix also runs good but then there is a delay and it freezes up.  No it is not my computer.  Could it be the satellite was placed facing a shed?  Again, very happy with the speed; however, the delay makes the speed not worth it due to freezing up on games and videos all the time.  Very disappointed.
Photo of Maggio

Maggio

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Disappointed

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1582 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Welcome to satellite internet!

The delays you are experiencing is latency (the distance the signal has to travel up in space and back). It is a big issue when trying to play a lot of first person shooter games. In essence, you wont be able to play them and there is nothing you can do about it.

The buffering you get from streaming from time to time is the video resolution downgrader Viasat implements. No matter what speed you get, they are going to purposely slow you down to prevent streaming services from delivering true HD (i.e 1080p). Depending on what plan you got, you "may" be able to turn this off. There is some settings in Netflix you might be able to play with that will help too.

Other questions? Just ask.. I have over 20 years of experience with satellite internet before I bid it farewell and goodbye, so for a novice just getting it you will be in for some surprises. Good luck!
(Edited)
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Sure, reply while I'm typing, that works....
Photo of Maggio

Maggio

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Our satellite isn't pointing in the air at all it is pointed to a metal shed.  Could this cause any disruption in the signal?
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
The signal doesn't come from where it looks like it's pointed.  It comes from a higher angle.  If your modem status page says everything is fine, it is fine.

The issues you describe sound normal, especially on a congested beam.  The delay can't be fixed, multiplayer games will never work, you can't avoid the speed of light.  Video streaming doesn't work well for a lot of people.  Satellite in it's current form isn't for cord cutting unless you live in a "special", not congested area (like Robin, or Nathan Hart).  Of course, you could have issues making things worse, so you could check out your modem status page.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Gabe posted a generic picture here, not correct probably, but as an example. https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/success-manually-pointing-dish-after-new-installation
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1582 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Unfortunately the OP is going to find out that due to the limitations of satellite internet (not just Viasat) it probably is not going to meet her needs, at a minimum most online games are just not going to work.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Due to the distance to the satellite in orbit, and the speed of light, it takes a while for the signal to travel. Online multiplayer will not work well, except for turn based games. Video can be a combination of things. Some plans limit quality, there can also be congestion. Try turning down video quality if you can. Go to fast.com and do a video speed test.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1581 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Great minds think a like!
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
More like "even a broken clock is right twice a day".  I just posted at the right time.