Great Plans for New Customers...NOT for Existing Customers!

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I saw on Facebook yesterday that ViaSat was offering these new, amazing unlimited plans with higher speeds.  I went to the ViaSat website, put in my zip code, and sure enough, there were several unlimited plans with higher speeds for my area.  I then logged into my ViaSat account and tried to change my plan to one of the newest ones, but none of them were listed.  In fact, there are no plans listed for me to change to.  So, I called ViaSat and was told that these weren't available for existing customers and that the only way that I could get my plan upgraded was to discontinue my current service and start again as a new customer.  I told them that I never had to do that before when changing my plan.  Still, no way for an existing customer to change to one of the new plans.  I really don't think that ViaSat appreciates customer loyalty.  A new customer can pay less than me and get a better, higher speed plan.  This makes me want to consider changing internet providers if my loyalty as a customer is not appreciated more than that.
Photo of Barry Stubbs

Barry Stubbs

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 861 Posts
  • 442 Reply Likes
That doesn't sound right.  I suspect the agent was confused.  

Please send your account info to us at ViasatListens@viasat.com.  We'll take a look and see what's available!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3090 Posts
  • 1299 Reply Likes
Matt, not sure if it's an account management glitch or what, but, I'm seeing the same thing in my zip code. Gold 30 for new customers but, nothing for me.

Either a portal glitch or, a delay before existing customers get the VS2 plans on some beams.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 367 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
Same thing for me Matt. I log in to my account and only 12 Mbps Gold available.
Photo of Barry Stubbs

Barry Stubbs

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
https://corpblog.viasat.com/new-plans/  This ViaSat document says that current customers should have access to the new plans.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2834 Posts
  • 1791 Reply Likes
Matt, I an not seeing all the plans in  my portal that show up for new customers. All my portal plans are only the 12 Mbps, 12 GB Liberty and the Gold unlimited. I agree with Bev that there must be a problem with what the portal is showing for existing customers. Beam 314, zip 14821.
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 24 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I haven’t had ANY plans other than my unlimited silver 25 since early January.
Photo of Rebecca Hawkins

Rebecca Hawkins

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same for me.  I have no new plans listed on my account.  I have called 4 or 5 times asking for one of the new unlimited plans and have been told they are not available in my area.  However if I order online as a new customer I can choose any unlimited plan and it will allow me to purchase (I made it all the way to "review my order" before I cancelled) one of these unlimited plans.
Photo of dhill

dhill

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
same here, my choices are gold unlimited 12 and liberty 12. zip 47264
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 193 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Agree with all of the above. We’ve had no options for any new plans (and yes, I’ve called), yet entering our zip shows new plans are available.

That said, I’m not sure I’d switch if I could. There’s little incentive. For others, it may differ.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 193 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Agree with all of the above. We’ve had no options for any new plans (and yes, I’ve called), yet entering our zip shows new plans are available.

That said, I’m not sure I’d switch if I could. There’s little incentive. For others, it may differ.
Photo of Nikolas Tries

Nikolas Tries

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same for me I can’t switch plans even though I was told I could if I wanted to. I just signed up a week ago and needed faster service
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 85 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
new plans in 54021 not good may 4 my deal is up think I will jump ship
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 415 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes
Why? Speed or price
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Don't believe the hype. Unlimited plans absolutely suck! I was moved over from my 150 gig boost 25 plan to the new and wonderful silver plan. I was routinely getting over 25 down. Now with this new super duper unlimited plan I get 11 on a very good day and routinely around 3. The kid told me yes it's definitely unlimited and no they will not throttle you speed back. Well after 60 you go to an absolute crawl! Think hughes net 15 years ago slow! Don't switch plans, it's all hype!
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Have a look at my speed tests. The averages shows what I used to get on the Freedom 150 with boost 25. The three on the bottom are from yesterday. I don't know if you'll be able to see it, but my average was 30.43 before they switched me, the last 3 were 7.28, 9.67, and wait for it...2.56! 
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 415 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes
It's your fault, is answer I get most of the time.
Photo of Claudia Starr

Claudia Starr

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Are there any comparisons with Viasat2 and the new US Cellular promotion for "unlimited" at $100.00 per month?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 861 Posts
  • 442 Reply Likes
Barry,

I removed your post with all your personal information.  This is a public forum, and that can be viewed by anyone.  Please send that info in an email to us at the above address.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I also see that a "Unlimited Silver 12" is available to new customers, but when I go through my account it does NOT show an "Unlimited Silver 12" it jumps to the gold, so what's up with that?
Photo of John Blount

John Blount

• 63 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Nothing for me to change to either. It has been a few months since I have seen anything for me to change to.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 84 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Exactly what happened when they first launched  Exede service, I was a WildBlue customer and the would not upgrade me, only taking "NEW" customers they said.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 415 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes
No competition so why should they?
Photo of Doug Morris

Doug Morris

• 17 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
This is my experience, exactly.  For that reason I am going to switch to AT&T LTE Internet.  The service is faster and it's about $40 per month for 50GB.  That's all I need.

My multiple emails to ViaSat about this issue have gone unanswered.  When I attempt a follow-up reply to my initial emails, I receive a robot answer telling me that my case has been closed.
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 96 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Let us know how that works for you. I've tried all of the available LTE services and all of them are terrible where I live.
Photo of Bryan Seibel

Bryan Seibel

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Read the fine print on UNLIMITED..................after 150gb we may reduce your speeds .................how can you reduce speeds when they are slow to begin with.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Bronze Unlimited is 40 gigs before reduced speeds, Silver is 60 gigs, and Gold is 100 Gigs now. The only 150 gigs before reduced speed is the ever elusive Platinum plan for $200 a month!!!
Photo of WoodyStrokerCat .

WoodyStrokerCat .

• 60 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Doug, I dont blame you. I called Exede/Viasat 3 different times about 1 year a go and got 3 different quotes on prices. Very poorly run company.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Sure I went over my "priority data" but really? I'm writing this over my US Cellular phone as a hot spot because my Viasat beam is overloaded....but be patient because any month now Viasat 2 will be up and running to take some of the load off....waiting

this result
(Edited)
Photo of John M.

John M.

• 17 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Have been paying through the nose for the 50 GB that I use, since last May (2017) being told "service will get better once the new satellite is in service). Neighbor moved in last month and was offered the 150 GB service for $150.... I called this week and was told "the new service is in maintenance and we are having problems and are not taking new customers for the next 2-3 months..... we have no new plans for you" (since, yes, they are already gouging me for their top plan which is slow as molassess and the they already have me locked in.....)... The company will say and promise *anything* to trick folks to sign up and once they do, they continue to oversell their limited capacity, at outrageous prices and just move on to gouge the next market segment.  No doubt this exactly what their shareholders demand, given their 2017 record profits of $170m...... we are but buffalo chips for their engine..... https://www.viasat.com/news/viasat-announces-fourth-quarter-and-fiscal-year-2017-results
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Well, so far it looks like thats what's happening here...I Truly was hoping things would get better and we weren't  being lead around like sheep  :-(
Photo of Doug Morris

Doug Morris

• 17 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I thought about canceling my account and then signing up for a new account under my wife's name with a different credit card so I could move to a better plan. But then it occurred to me that I don't want another long-term contract with a company I can't trust.
So, I am going to migrate to AT&T LTE Internet. My neighbor has it and he claims his speed never falls below 4Mbps and is usually in the 10Mbps range. The price is $60 per month for 250Gb of data. Lately my EXEDE account struggles to get above 1Mbps except for very early in the morning when it's not convenient for me to be using it.
Goodbye satellite Internet...
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 412 Posts
  • 214 Reply Likes
Totally agree with you. Looking into same.
Photo of WoodyStrokerCat .

WoodyStrokerCat .

• 60 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
My contract is up and I'll never sign another one with Viasat.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 412 Posts
  • 214 Reply Likes
Many of us feel the same way having been lied to over and over during their contract that we lived up to. Why give them more chances to not fulfill their end and hide behind the contract.
Photo of Shannon Williams

Shannon Williams

• 39 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Nice one
Photo of J Jensen

J Jensen

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Not sure what your all complaining about...

My speeds are MORE than what I pay for.
I'm on the GOLD plan, unlimited... and up to 50Mbps. 

I often get much more than 50...   see below

I'm on the 'new' Viasat-2 equipment, and my dish is pointed lower on the horizon then the older Exede.   Maybe, you all need to contact your local provider/installer... as they should have all the details. It's how I proceeded.

I first had called Exede direct... scheduled an install date, etc. Once I found a local dealer, I had to call Exede and cancel. I then did everything through my local dealer who kept me informed of the price changes, when the new Viasat-2 was being launched... etc.etc.  I suggest, you all do the same and see who is your local dealer. Maybe they will help you.

Also... I've used 650Gb of data this month (since I'm not using cloud based backup services)... I have unlimited, but per the fine print they can throttle it back after 100Gb, and they say they'll do it only at peak hours. Well... I've not noticed ANY slowing, and continue to have great speeds and throughput no matter what time I'm at my PC.

... good luck
(Edited)
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Well good for you! That's awesome for sure. I guess my complaint is unlimited means unlimited data at whatever speed you signed up for. We must be really busy down here in Florida because if you go over you unlimited data cap (funny...unlimited data cap) they put the screws down tight! Don't post anymore... lol they may find you and shut you down too!. Thanks for sharing, there may be hope yet!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3133 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Hi Frank

We are working on some long term traffic management in our busier areas. Viasat 2 is going to help. You're likely seeing that deprioritization due to your beam being a busier beam. Outside of peak hours your speeds should perk up as you're not given a cap for data and can continue online usage.
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Ok Brad thanks... I guess I'll have to start working nights lol. You know satellite is a great thing for us rural folks, it just kinda sucks when unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited. I've been an WildBlue, Exede, Viasat customer for years now, I think 8. I work from home so having speed and unlimited data is a big plus. I switched plans thinking that's what I was getting and it turns out it's not. On the Freedom 150 with boost 25 I was  getting great speeds. I only switched because I went over this month because my stupid laptop decided to Update Windows 10 and burned up all my data. I usually do that kind of thing at my brother's in town and his cable connection lol. I typically use about 80 gig a month and was paying for 150. Lots of rollover, remember those days with cell minutes? Maybe not I'm an old fart. I was sold on unlimited data and speed. The kid said they absolutely won't throttle you back. Well Viasat did when I hit 60 gig. So the last week or more of every month from now on will be like this.... Dog S**t slow.
Thanks for the hope of faster speed with unlimited data.
Frank
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Brad,
Here's a follow-up... 9pm Central Florida time Ping 968 I used to be at low 600, Download point-23Mbps, Upload point-1Mbps. I used to be at 30+ down routinely and sometimes approaching 50 and 5+ up if I didn't go over my full speed data cap. That's what it is no matter what you call it, a full-speed data cap. This throttling back users is ridiculous. I could see taking away half as a penalty for going over your full-speed data allotment even though it's supposed to be unlimited, but taking me and others to ZERO is just unacceptable. We pay a lot for our service we should be able to at least use it. I may not be able to stream videos at half speed, but at least I can work. At these non-speeds it's actually useless! You guys need to figure it out and fast.
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Current data usage

80.2GB
of Unlimited Data

How we calculate data usage

Your "current data usage" is a guide to help you monitor your usage, and can take up to 24 hours to reflect updates. After 60GB of data usage, we may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion.

"PRIORITIZE"  WHAT THAT REALLY MEANS IS THEY TAKE YOU TO ZERO WHEN YOU GO OVER!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
"9pm Central Florida Download point-23Mbps, Upload point-1Mbps."

You're not saying this is unacceptable, are you?  I must not understand that post of yours.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes

He must have missed all the post where we all chimed in here warning people with the Freedom 150 to NEVER change plans, it's the absolute best they have.

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
But he is getting 23mbs?  And complaining?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
Yes and Yes.

Apparently we wouldn't be having this conversation if his stupid laptop hadn't made its mind up all on its own to update Windows 10.

I blame the laptop and with the speeds he claims he was getting on uploads, I wouldn't be surprised to find it decided to go ahead and update everyone else on his beam while at it.

Never trust a stupid laptop.   
(Edited)
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Guys I'm getting .23 down and .1 up. I used to get 35 down and 5 up. I used the word point to make sure everyone understood it was less  than 1Mbps in both directions.  You're right moving plans was a mistake. To late now.
Thanks
Frank

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
OK that makes sense now but we understand decimal points here - words not so much ;)

You've learned what others have already learned the hard way (going back to last fall) and will only achieve some relief when some additional traffic is off loaded to the new satellite. Unless you had an installer visit as well as some new equipment when switching to "unlimited" you're still on Viasat-1.  
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2818 Posts
  • 1780 Reply Likes
Frank, how did you ever think that the 60 GB priority data on the new plan you switched to was better than the 150 GB you already had on the Freedom 150 plan?
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
150GB hard cap, or 60GB priority with 'unlimited' de-prioritized data, which is still supposed to be quite usable.  For a heavy user, the 2nd option sounds ideal.
Now, if his service actually had good de-prioritized speeds, he wouldn't be having an issue.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
Should it ever get .23mbs?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
That's what many are reporting during prime time hours after exceeding their data usage threshold within congested service areas on Viasat-1.

Indeed, it's what I tend to get on the Liberty plan after going over my priority data during prime time when congested. Deprioritized in favor of those who haven't to the extent that they keep cutting in line ahead of me - but I consider that fair since I'm the one who went over the priority data. Do I like it? No of course not but it's as advertised. I shift my usage to non-peak hours as needed where I can get the typically 1-5 Mbps when throttled on Liberty Pass. On unlimited I'd do the same, but expect better since there's no hard throttle.

Even at .23 Mbps it's still usable in my case for basic web browsing and email using a desktop client -  however, in the case of browsing I go to extremes in eliminating all of the bloat on today's web pages (Sparrow now Viasat browser does a decent job out of the box but can do better with the right extensions).      
(Edited)
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
My beam 367 is basically unusable, especially if deprioritized, from 5 pm until 6 am
Photo of Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez

• 23 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hey Steve,

Totally my fault... I was trying to work and couldn't remote in. So I called and said what's up. They said, dude you're over your 150. So now I get practically Zero? Yes that's how it works you go over we slow you down. But hey here's a new silver plan. Ok what's that. You get unlimited data, you'll never go over again. Ok...will they throttle me back ever? I even used those words...no man you get your speed and your unlimited data. I asked 3 times 3 different ways. Got the same answer. Heck yeah sign me up buddy! I figured wow the new bird is up and running and now they're offering these awesome plans. I should have known better. I had 2 bids I had to get out and no way to do it. I switched got my speed back only to be throttled back 3 days later. So I go to my account and see the "prioritizing" disclaimer over 60. Wow you're a dummy Frank! 
End of story lol. I came to the forum AFTER I had issues. Now I see everything clearly. Live and learn, even an old dog can still learn a thing or two.

Thanks Fellas
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3578 Posts
  • 2091 Reply Likes
Yea if you think about it, with Freedom over 150GB you will slow to a crawl, but you at least get over twice the priority data of the 60GB "unlimited" plan.

Moving to the "new" plans will allow Viasat to deliver high speeds to all, but not all will see higher speeds once the priority data is used.

Upgrader beware.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 337 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Quote   My neighbor has it and he claims his speed never falls below 4Mbps and is usually in the 10Mbps range. The price is $60 per month for 250Gb of data endquote

Are you sure he didn't say  25Gb of data per month ?
Photo of Doug Morris

Doug Morris

• 17 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
100% Positive. Check out "AT&T rural Internet" on Google. It's not available everywhere yet, but when it is, ViaSat will need to change their business model or they will go out of business.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
You're assuming their long term business model's success is tied to residential internet services ;)
Photo of Doug Morris

Doug Morris

• 17 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Good point. It's abundantly clear that residential customers currently have little value to the corporation.
At the same time, I can't imagine any corporate customers willing to sign long-term contracts for what amounts to dial-up speed with occasional bursts of bandwidth in the middle of the night.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
FWIW, Viasat's business goes far beyond actual satellite services.       
Photo of Doug Morris

Doug Morris

• 17 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I find this quote on the "About ViaSat" to be really humorous.

"Viasat is the global communications company that believes everyone and everything in the world can be connected."

When I recently cancelled my Exede/ViaSat account, the agent on the phone told me that she was unable to send me an e-mail confirmation of my account cancellation because her computer didn't have e-mail capabilities. I asked her 1) if she found it ironic that a communications company couldn't send e-mail in 2018 and 2) did she actually think that I believed her line about not being able to send e-mail from her compute?

I have yet to receive an e-mail confirming account cancellation despite two messages sent to the ViaSatListens account...
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 412 Posts
  • 214 Reply Likes
Isn't that normal customer service?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3133 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Hi Doug. 

When did you email us? We typically answer within 24 hours but we cannot process a cancellation via an email due to customer security and verification reasons. 
Photo of Doug Morris

Doug Morris

• 17 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes

Brad,

I did not e-mail to cancel my service.  I attempted to do that over the telephone, but the customer service people on the telephone told me that they were unable to send me an e-mail to confirm that my account has, indeed, been closed as of the end of my current billing cycle.  I find it odd that a communications company has customer service employees who do not have e-mail capabilities.

I sent an e-mail as a follow-up, requesting that I be notified in writing that my account has been closed.  It was some time late afternoon, yesterday.  My first e-mail bounced, for some reason, so I sent it again from two different e-mail accounts later in the evening.

I am looking forward to a written response.

Thank you,
Doug

Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 412 Posts
  • 214 Reply Likes
Have you returned any equipment? If not, I bet you get charged again
Photo of Doug Morris

Doug Morris

• 17 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Tim,
I have already contacted my credit card to cancel the "auto-pay" option for Exede/Viasat.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 853 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Doug, I responded to your email today.