Got Viasat Platinum plan

• Praise
  • Updated 2 months ago
Today I had my dealer came out and install new dish and modem had a little hiccup  but everything went smoothly. I went for the 100 Mbps plans and did some speed testing on it and I am pulling @ 5 PM between 135 to 142 Mbps.
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 38 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
How much does it cost and where are you located?
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I am located in Oklahoma cost is $200 plus fee
(Edited)
Photo of jmleewong .

jmleewong .

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Let us know how it is doing in a month or so, please.
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Will do. gonna try some video streaming and download a couple games in next month I just downloaded a game on computer civilization and only took about 20 mins compare to maybe 3 to 4 hours. will keep ya inform
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 122 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I’m just glad to hear someone actually has VS2 services. That makes 2 people on here now total?
Photo of david lightsey

david lightsey

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
What is the data cap? I would be interested to see what the speed is after you hit data cap
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2356 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Right now lower speed and the data cap are going to be pretty much negligible since there are very few people on it.  You would expect very high speeds and with "unlimited" data, even with deprioritization, you wouldn't see that impact at this time.     
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 981 Posts
  • 313 Reply Likes
It would be funny if there was an algorithm in place that dropped speeds after priority data without any congestion.
Photo of bill nord

bill nord

• 47 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
James,
Nobody likes a braggart!  LOL
Just did a speedtest and maxed out at 8Mbps - Normal.
Bill
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I wasn't trrying to brag lol just wanted to inform people who may be thinking bout new plans so want let them know so they can make their mind up
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I plan to do couple more speed test tonight and will do a few in morning before going to school I just pulled 132 down and 8 up
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
seem upload is increase as well between 5-10 ish
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1849 Posts
  • 1519 Reply Likes
I guess the obvious question is why do you need 100+mbs? 8mbs for a third of the price will do the same job.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 374 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
When you burn thru your 150 GB let us know what happens to your speed. That will be an interesting test of the Viasat-2 plans as they stand today!
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
That what my plan is Michael Will let ya know when I do burn pass it I plan to push it to the limit to see how well it perform
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Jim16 I have 6-10 devices in my house my family is connected to my net.

Michael McDowell

• 374 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
              Jim16: the obvious question is why do you need 100+mbs

Why do people climb mountains?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1849 Posts
  • 1519 Reply Likes
Very true.  Only because it's there.  Nothing else.  And ISP's know this.  Why else would people upgrade from a 25mbs plan to a 30mbs plan if not for the only reason because it is there.  ( and some people on this forum said nobody would pay that much for the plans on VS2, yeah, right.)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3240 Posts
  • 3209 Reply Likes
Much like a chicken, I climb mountains to get to the other side.

Michael McDowell

• 374 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I guess I would rather try to go around the mountain!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3240 Posts
  • 3209 Reply Likes
You've obviously never lived on an island that's nothing but a sea mount ;)

The journey itself was worth the effort even on foot (but the locals would offer a ride if needed - my response was always thanks, but no thanks when on the road but preferred using the mountain trails carved out prior to the road being completed and the reason was always the same, to get to the other side) .

It required going about two thirds of the way up to get to the other side (either that or a boat and/or swimming - and/or because depending on where you were you had to swim to get to the boat).

James undoubtedly has his reasons... Happy Pi Day! It's OK to be irrational today. 
(Edited)
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I am able to confirm that once you on viasat 2 plan you will able to change plan though account instead of calling to change
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1849 Posts
  • 1519 Reply Likes
What plans can you change back to?
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I can change back to any of viasat 2 plans from bronze 12 to plat 100 Jim16
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 38 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I talked to my installer to see if they had plans in our area yet but it is not available he told me 30-60 days.They have a 50mbps that is less expensive than the 100.He also told me the 100 was lightning fast and that the 50 was very fast also no lag time compared to what we have on Viasat 1.You will need the new dish and modem to get it.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 388 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
RE: "I can change back to any of viasat 2 plans from bronze 12 to plat 100"

This is all new...it might be better to state, it appears...."I can" has not been verified, yet.

Michael McDowell

• 374 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
We won't know for sure until someone  on Viasat-2 actually downgrades their service to Silver or Bronze and actually keeps the Viasat-2 equipment! Theoretically,  Viasat could send someone out to repoint their  dish and replace their modem and tria.  It wouldn't make much sense, but they could.
(Edited)
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Michael I doubt that they will replace back to old modem due to signing new contract for viasat 2

Michael McDowell

• 374 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Makes sense.  But do they show Bronze and Silver being available  to you?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1850 Posts
  • 842 Reply Likes
I have a feeling James could drop service down to the Bronze plan and still have some pretty freaking amazing speeds.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2492 Posts
  • 1364 Reply Likes
If you are willing to pay over $200/month for internet, more power to you!

And I don't believe the Platinum plan will be available at all locations, even after all the beams are activated. So you are one of the lucky ones James!
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Will let you know how it goes over next few month I plan to go over 150 gb to see what performance will have with it
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2492 Posts
  • 1364 Reply Likes
Probably fine. There isn't even traffic on it to deprioritize you. In other words, you are the only car on the highway, so there us nothing to slow you down :).
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
actually there is a few people on my beam just not sure how many but I know it not a lot on my beam for now

Michael McDowell

• 388 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
James, the obvious question is "How do you know?"  Information from your dealer/installer?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1860 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Download the Wikipedia. That alone is over 150 gb for a full download.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1860 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Asking James why he needs 100+ mbps is like asking me why I eat an entire bulb of garlic in one sitting.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1531 Reply Likes
I would never ask you that.
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1531 Posts
  • 873 Reply Likes

Stephen....

The human body goes through extreme measures to excrete garlic from it's system.  Any substance that causes such radical expulsion processes to activate can't be good for you.  However, your chances of contacting the West Nile Virus are greatly diminished since mosquitoes will not likely land on you.  They are not affected by the chemistry of garlic to cause them to stay away, they are simply repulsed by the smell. 

Photo of Dan White

Dan White

• 80 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
yeah mosquitoes and people. LOL
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1531 Reply Likes
And Vampires...
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1860 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
I wish I had some freaking cup cakes.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1531 Reply Likes
Ding Dongs are awesome! 
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1531 Posts
  • 873 Reply Likes
TASTYKAKES  "Bells" blow them away.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1531 Reply Likes

Never heard of them.  A local thing?

Image result for tastykakes bells

Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1531 Posts
  • 873 Reply Likes
They are very popular in the Eastern part of the country.  We got a limited selection of "TASTYKAKES" products out here in California about a year ago.
The Bells are better than Ding Dongs because Ding Dongs are spray-painted with the chocolate coating and Hostess uses and inferior cake inside.  Bells are dipped and the coating is thick enough you can chew it off.  It's good chocolate too.  Oh well, try some and see for yourself.
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 94 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I used to love the butterscotch ones when I lived in Philly many years ago.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1531 Reply Likes
I can buy them at Amazon....

Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1531 Posts
  • 873 Reply Likes
Is that right?  $45 for 2 boxes?  Woa... They cost $3.20 each here.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1531 Reply Likes
I believe these must be the Platinum versions!
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 127 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Tastykakes are amazing lol.
Photo of Billy Hodges

Billy Hodges

• 127 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Tastykakes are amazing lol.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2886 Posts
  • 963 Reply Likes
Bargain compared for this cheeto/piece of art

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1860 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
I ended up stoping at the supermarket on the way home. I bought a slice of vanilla cake and a slice of German chocolate cake. I'm a happy camper.
Photo of Tres Bien

Tres Bien

• 40 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
And of course, the obvious reason for eating an entire bulb of garlic in one sitting is because you bought only one bulb.
(Edited)
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 36 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Or vampires.  I think it is vampires.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 265 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
Obviously you've evaluated your requirements, multiple devices on line at the same time, school work, entertainment, work etc. and your needs dictated that you needed a faster service so all family members could use the internet at the same time without any impediment.   That is why they offer the plan, different needs/strokes for different folks, families.

Surfs up, :)
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
yep i could went with 50 but wanted make sure i get plenty of speeds
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 989 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Congrats on nabbing the fastest plan available. My sense is you will get good speeds regardless for many months, even after priority data. When the bill comes remember this pic. You could pay half as much for less than 1/10 the speed. This is the 25Mbps plan at various times over 1/2 month.

(Edited)
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 79 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
But dont go over your 100 or you might get this.....no, no your on an underutilized beam
this result
Photo of Timothy James

Timothy James

• 62 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I still have no plans appearing in my Viastat Portal despite their website advertising new plans in my area. 
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
you have to call viasat number to change over to new plan or change plans Timothy
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 99 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I only get the silver 25 or the 30 in my area yet! I don't care to pay an extra 50.00 for 5mbps more though!
Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Support said they where working on the website, though I have no plans other than Silver 25, though they could change me over the phone, to lower and Gold 30.. But it was more $$ and less max bandwidth. They recommended I stay with the Silver 25, which is fine. Getting 15 down right now.
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 94 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
If someone had told me five years ago that there was any chance whatsoever that my hundred megabits per second router might be a bottleneck in my Internet service, I would have contacted the nearest asylum. I would have been happy to have one megabit per second that I could count on every day. Now, if I signed up for platinum service, that router would indeed be a bottleneck!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2479 Posts
  • 1353 Reply Likes
Doubtful
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1530 Reply Likes
Yes, but his point is a good one.  Who would have thought sat. service could deliver those kinds of speeds and data.
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 94 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
The original poster is getting speeds over 100 mbps, so a router limited to that speed would indeed be a bottleneck.

Now how much it would matter in the real world is a different matter...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2479 Posts
  • 1353 Reply Likes
Viasat-1 was awful fast too...when nobody was on it. Give it time.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2886 Posts
  • 963 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback James
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
The highest I gotten was 148 download and 18 upload
Photo of Cindy Berryman King Orloff

Cindy Berryman King Orloff

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Not fair!! Lucky!
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I plan to keep testing new plan and give feedback as I goes
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 106 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Which one is this one?
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 106 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I only can get the 30 mbps but I have the 25 silver right now!
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Cindy I am on the highest plan available the plat. 100 mbps plans
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 106 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I will have to wait and see if they come with newer plans by me, I suppose though if they do I'll have to have a new modem and dish right?
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Yes depend if you see gold 50 or plat 100 then will be on new viasat 2 with new modem and triva if not one of the two plans are available yet then you are stuck with viasat 1 ti
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 106 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I only see on my dashboard the plan I'm on, of course if I go to VISAT page I can type in my zip and see other plans but highest is the 30 but a little high priced for me so I'm stuck with the silver 25 which isn't too bad. Yep that is what I thought. Thank you James, I will keep a look out in case they do come my way some day, their plans do change once in awhile!
(Edited)
Photo of HiddenOkie

HiddenOkie

• 11 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hopefully the platinum will come to our area someday.  Until then, we'll have to settle for gold.  It's much smoother than my previous plan.  My speeds settled in somewhere in the 33-35 range during congested times when we're all getting off work and jumping on the Internet.  I can't complain.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm very close to ordering the Platinum plan I have Windstream and it goes out every day just decides not to work. I have my home filled with Echo devices and can't use them half the time because the internet is out. A question I have does your internet go out a lot or is it always connected even in storms?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2187 Posts
  • 1163 Reply Likes
It will go out in heavy weather. Now this doesn't happen a lot since there isnt storms every day, but it does happen.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2542 Posts
  • 1563 Reply Likes
Casey, my experience has been that my ViaSat is connected over 99% of the time. I typically see that my modem has been connected for 20 days or more. There are times that it will disconnect during periods of heavy rain during bad thunderstorms, but these outages usually last less than 15 minutes. Depending where you live, the frequency of severe storms can vary.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ok and I want an update on speeds for you James Billinger are you still getting 100+ I had satellite few years ago and it was crap then but I only had 10 gb cap then too so its gotta be better especially the Platinum tier I'd hope.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1801 Posts
  • 796 Reply Likes
A few weeks ago there was a guy on here complaining about his service going out during 70 mph winds.  
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well that's understandable. As long as it isn't when weather conditions are fine then I'd be happy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2187 Posts
  • 1163 Reply Likes
I certainly wouldn't expect 100Mbps. That isn't realistic. Maybe you coukd see a burst of that speed at tines in the satellites' infancy, but I think you need to temper your expectations here.
(Edited)
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You're right I am just tired of Windstream it goes out non stop
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2187 Posts
  • 1163 Reply Likes
I know you said you have had satellite internet once before. Honestly, the only thing that has changed for me is i can use much more data than I did six years ago. Speedwise, it is no faster for me today during primetime than it was a decade ago.

Now, I am sure Viasat-2 will be an improvement, but will it be long term with ever growing data needs? Only time will tell.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 387 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
RE: "I certainly wouldn't expect 100Mbps"

April 20, 2018 = "Our new Viasat WiFi Gateway — which contains the Wi-Fi router — is designed for heavy-duty, multi-device (and smarthome IoT) connectivity. We improved on cooling efficiency so that our gateways could work harder and deliver broadband speeds up to 75 Mbps throughput over the widest possible Wi-Fi footprint."
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 387 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
RE: Stephen Rice...guy on here complaining about his service going out during 70 mph winds."

Within first year of Exede, I think installers were informed about drilling a screw hole, and inserting a screw into mount so dish would not move around in horizontal plane.  Mine got screwed down...due to high winds
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just wanna come home from a 12-16 hour shift and be able to watch anything I want on Hulu and or Netflix.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2187 Posts
  • 1163 Reply Likes

Gosh.  I thought I said not to expect 100Mbps.  Didn't know it needed repeated!

Casey.  You could always look into pre-loading your streaming.  I do that, and so does Stephen on here.  There is no way Viasat-1 would provide me fast enough speeds to stream during primetime.  That is within even priority data.

So one must have to develop creative ways to make things work.  I am sure Viasat-2 could provide fast enough speeds to stream real-time, but with the video resolution downgrader associated with the plans, there have been reports that it doesn't always work correctly and people even on the highest plans have streaming problems. 

Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 33 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
On the 150 silver plan we can stream two TVs at a time and have one gamer going.  The only bottleneck seems to be in my mancave.  it is the closest to the router, but gets the worst connection.  I use the front room TV and it is fine, almost HDish.

I think it may be the large metal Coca Cola sign between the Roku and the router.  Besides that though, we do pretty good.  Especially when I remember just 4 or so years ago when we had a max of 15 gigs of data at 12 mbps.  That was our only option.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I think I'm going to order the Platinum plan I'll let everyone know how it goes if I get the Mrs. to go along with it lol
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2187 Posts
  • 1163 Reply Likes

Good luck!  And let us know how it goes.  I know it is a lot of $$$$$.  So I hope you find it worth it.

Keep us posted!

Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Will do thank you
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just an update I ordered the Platinum package and scheduled the installation for tomorrow morning 8-11
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
And now it begins I am showing 120 mbps down the installer has had a hiccup like you did James Billinger but it was minor. He also stated there will probably be updates sent to the modem most the time they do it at night but might see in daytime but so far I'm happy. I'm connecting all my smart devices I have like 20+ devices
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1849 Posts
  • 1519 Reply Likes
What is your streaming speed?  Check with this....https://fast.com
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2415 Posts
  • 1303 Reply Likes
20 devices???
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 33 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I could see 20 devices these days. Light bulbs, intercom screens, stoves, refrigerators, tv, stereo, tablets, multiple phones, etc. It's a connected world.

Not in my house, as I have old dumb appliances that just keep working. I'm good with that.

However, we might have 7 or 8 at the same time and we're not even trying.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2415 Posts
  • 1303 Reply Likes
Yea. But I wouldn't connect them all to my satellite internet, even on Viasat-2. Too many opportunities for runaway data.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes 20+ devices if you want to get technical I have 6 echos 6 smart plugs 1 smart surge protector and 19 smart bulbs I may have missed something I lose count then I have 3 xbox ones a Nintendo switch 3 smart TV 2 smartphones 2 tablets 2 computers so a lot on my connection but it says in viasat 20 devices connected it doesn't count the bulbs because there only being used when I tell the echo to turn them to do something. My fast speed keeps saying 4-5 mb is that a good score for that I'm using the phone app if I wasn't lazy I'd get in my desktop.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1850 Posts
  • 842 Reply Likes
Be prepared to use up your priority data really quick.  20 devices? Wow!

What on earth does a surge protector need with an internet connection?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2415 Posts
  • 1303 Reply Likes
Might want to turn the internet off!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3240 Posts
  • 3209 Reply Likes
My fast speed keeps saying 4-5 mb is that a good score for that I'm using the phone app if I wasn't lazy I'd get in my desktop.
Fast.com provides some insight into what "speeds" you'll get when streaming video and is specifically geared towards the Netflix experience you can expect (unlimited data plans throttle the speed of detected video streams to influence the content providers selection of quality to be delivered through adaptive streaming methodologies - your throttling rate depends on the plan you select: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) .

4-5 mbps is typically considered sufficient for streaming at 1080p quality on Netflix although I'd consider it the bare minimum if using other content providers in some cases .

Netflix utilizes per title encode optimization - different content complexity requires different bitrates to achieve optimal quality and it's not simply a matter of that single vertical resolution metric.

For other content providers that use fixed bitrate ladders to select content quality, that "speed" may be a bit on the low side.

It really depends on how adept the content provider's adaptive streaming algorithms are and is a trade off between selecting the optimal quality vs. playback interruptions (buffering) - playback interruptions aren't really quality issues but rather speed issues although we as consumers will view them as one and the same.

Obviously you're on Viasat-2 with a Platinum plan. For now, you'll likely have a positive experience even when exceeding your data usage threshold since there's sufficient capacity to avoid any de-prioritization (although subject to it there's no effective need to de-prioritize - while you still have to wind your way through the ropes and stanchions with everybody else, the queue is empty with zero wait time and there's no need for the doorman to allow others to sneak in ahead of you yet).

As Viasat-2 utilization increases you'll start to see things degrade (just as they did for those early adopters on Viasat-1 who grew accustomed to "speeds" well above advertised rates at nearly all times) - hopefully that's a way off at which point it will be deja vu all over again..

(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1850 Posts
  • 842 Reply Likes
Viasat 3 is almost here!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2872 Posts
  • 958 Reply Likes
The smart plugs/Dots won't use much. To answer Stephen Rice, a smart surge protector is a easy way to hook a few lamps to be "automated" without shelling out multiple plugs. That's a fun wormhole I went down...I changed my wake word to "Computer" and have all my lamps in the living room and dining room voice activated. It feels very Star Trek...especially after adding a few skills to make firing and alert sounds. 

Now the X-Boxes ,phones, tablets, streaming TVs, computers and potentially the Switch will definitely use quite a bit of data but as long as you're monitoring it you can make it work. Glad you're happy with the connection!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1850 Posts
  • 842 Reply Likes
Y'all a bunch of nerds. I'm too poor for that fancy stuff.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2415 Posts
  • 1303 Reply Likes
What's wrong with the Clapper!?!?

Clap on. Clap off.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1850 Posts
  • 842 Reply Likes
Some people don't want to get the clap.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2415 Posts
  • 1303 Reply Likes
But it's cheap and does its job!
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Chill the only time it uses the connection is when I tell the echo aka Alexa to turn something on or off.
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Photo of Casey Grogan

Casey Grogan

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My prime time results
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1860 Posts