Got my service hooked up today like I said only (one issue)

• Problem
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
The service is actually pretty great in all honesty pages are loading up fast. Only issue is that I am already being throttled on my first day lol.

I run the diagnostic app & that viasat has & it says I need to buy more data already no idea if it will take a while to kick in. Since it's new service but truthfully I do have fast internet in my opinion.

I have full bars of internet in any room of the house. Pages are loading fast (especially at 1mbps)

My speed tests vary from 1-3 MBPS (so when I am throttled I will have fast internet) but it says I have no data whatsoever, so being throttled because of it lol.

Anyway to get that fixed? I mean I don't mind being throttled due to the 1-3 mbps working but I should have data due to it being a new setup. 

So the fact I am being throttled for supposedly being over my limit already, I at least see I will at least get 1-3 mbps but would like to see what my speeds will be like with my actual data i paid for not having throttled speeds due to supposedly not having data.

Other then that the service is working great & like the fact even though if I go over my data cap will see speeds of 1-3 mbps when throttled. Just need my data I paid for to kick in.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
1 - 3 Mbps is not fast, but I doubt you are being throttled.

Sounds to me that your account page hasn't been upgraded to reflect your current plan.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I will try it later & see what the app says. Also not lightning fast but it get's the job done truthfully can browse forums, post online, & pages load somewhat quickly.

First thing I did was change my DNS & messed with the settings to try & get optimal performance but seriously if I truly am being throttled then good speeds in my opinion though needs to be fixed if I somehow am, will see how it goes through out the day & tomorrow. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Speed Tests - Your POP (Point of Pressence) is Denver, Colorado...so, use a test site in Denver.

DNS - IP address can be configured in a router, or via your OS (desktop/laptops).  I'd choose a DNS provider in Denver area....I suggest using Quad9

"Quad 9 provides 2 types of resolvers, “Secure” which provides security features, and “Unsecured” which doesn’t."
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ah OK I am using googles DNS unless that isn't recommended. Use them for my primary DNS everywhere & ahven't had an issue. Though could look into something else if it's recommended.

Though I will check out Quad9 & see how they fair compared to google. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Again, I think Viasat used a captive DNS, as that is part of the algorithm to produce faster speeds. Bypassing the Viasat DNS could actually produce slower results.

Not sure you really want to mess with the settings. Your system should already by optimized.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: Bypassing the Viasat DNS

Here's why I use Quad9

The Global Cyber Alliance (GCA), an organization founded by a partnership of law enforcement (New York County District Attorney and City of London Police) and research (Center for Internet Security – CIS) organizations focused on combating systemic cyber risk in real, measurable ways, partnered with IBM and Packet Clearing House (PCH) to launch a Global Public Recursive DNS Resolver Service. Quad9 protects users from accessing known malicious websites, leveraging threat intelligence from multiple industry leaders; it currently blocks up to two million threats per day.
Threat Intelligence on malicious domains comes from 19 threat feeds. 12 partners are publicly listed and include IBM’s X-Force, Abuse.ch, Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG), Bambenek Consulting, Cisco, F-Secure, mnemonic, Netlab, Payload Security, Proofpoint, RiskIQ, and ThreatSTOP. Seven remaining Threat Intelligence partners are not listed.
From a privacy point of view, Quad9 is specifically committed to protecting the users’ privacy
===========================

To my awareness, Viasat has not spelled out their DNS policy...Quad9 is blocking "two million threats per day," so does Viasat block?  Quad9 allows an user to choose between their filtered DNS server, or an unfiltered DNS server.

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Courtney, it takes a day or tow for everything in the system to get up to speed on a new account. The app and account management won't be accurate until everything is in place and, your billing date is set. Don't worry about usage right now and, just keep an eye on it for a day or two.

If it isn't working properly by Monday evening, call Customer care or, email your issues as well as your account and contact information to viasatlistens@viasat.com so that they can look into it for you.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Oh OK thanks for the info BEV, after an hour my speeds are no longer showing throttled & hitting up to 11-12 MBPS. Once again if 1-3 mbps is my throttling speed then I am completely fine with it lol. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It is not your throttling speed.

Go over your priority data, use the system during primetime, then see your results.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
And which satellite did you eventually wind up on? Which plan? Which modem?
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hmmm no idea about the satellite truthfully forgot to ask the technician. He seemed like he wasn't much of a talker to begin with. Set everything up & basically drove off in a blink of an eye. 

unlimted silver 25

Then the regular black modem sadly was hoping for that shiny white triangle one. 
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
So that implies to me that you're on an older bird (Viasat-1) and have an unlimited plan - interesting given the recent turn of events.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
VS1: 363 (Viasat 1 satellite, and using beam 363)

Quad9 can eliminate bad sites - Read cite given..Quad9
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So is being on viasat 1 & beam 363 a good thing?
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
I'm just curious about Unlimited being available to new customers on Viasat-1 that's all Courtney.

Since sold after February 13, 2018 you don't have to worry about the new Unlimited Policy everybody is upset over - hey everybody, a new and improved Unlimited is being introduced on Viasat-1 ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Oh ok understandable then I don’t know maybe? Lol

Viasat 1 doesn’t have unlimited data?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
None of its really understandable - welcome to Viasat,

Apparently it does now on your beam for new customers, if that's what you were sold ;)
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Oh ok lol.

Yep that’s what I was sold & the technician did review my plan while setting it up & said we have the 25mbps unlimited plan.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3161 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Courtney, if you were on VS2 you would have the triangular modem, but since you have the black modem, you are on VS1.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
OK thanks for that info lol. Should of known that since I didn’t get the triangle one.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It's not really "unlimited" data, but it sounds good. I had "unlimited" data when I had an Exede Classic 10 plan too.

The only difference is how fast your speed is after using x amount of data.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "hey everybody, a new and improved Unlimited is being introduced on Viasat-1 ;)"

Why yes, Viasat is rolling out the Welcome mat for Connect America Fund pilgrims coming onboard.