Data usage

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
My Liberty 10 connection just started, was hooked up around 7 last night. My usage already says I've used 48% of my data!!!! I haven't even used it yet aside from checking email and about 20 minutes to check social media! What on earth is up with this? I'm feeling pretty upset at the moment. My speed last night after hook up was as bad as my dial-up was though it's better this afternoon... This is going to be a long, expensive two years. :-(  With 30 days to go, 5 GB left isn't good.  I could cry.  I know my Windows and virus control did a few updates but really....   5 GB worth?!?!  Something just seems wrong.
Photo of Cindi-Rae Howe Norejko

Cindi-Rae Howe Norejko

• 11 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
  • very upset and worried I made a big mistake with a 2 year commitment.

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of James E Besser

James E Besser

• 77 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
essential 10 or essential boost 10 ? thats cheap plan I have it, But don't  watch youtube social media will eat it up. you need higher plan I have 7 days left Mine at , used 5.8  out of 10 seems you chewed lot up on your plan in 1 day others help you out here see whats going on

Cindi-Rae Howe Norejko

• 11 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
The Liberty packages were the *only* options in my area.  That was a bit of a surprise since when I was "shopping" for service it looked like I had so many options.  I haven't even had a chance to watch any youtubes or do anything like that.   It looks like I never will, I can't afford to step up to the next plan and I was quite upset to discover there is NO "free zone" anymore for new customers on the Liberty plans.  Very disappointing. 
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
no this does happen and they will not admit to it being on their end although they do know how to temporarily fix it. test it . wait till free zone is on after a fresh month data reset, unplug the lan cable from the modem and wait a few hours till free zone is over, plug cable back in and refresh dashboard and esvt to see if data has disappeared. then you will know if it is on your end or not.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3488 Posts
  • 3480 Reply Likes
I know my Windows and virus control did a few updates but really....   5 GB worth?!?!
Yes, entirely possible with Windows updates, especially if Windows 10. For example, on August 2 Microsoft is going to start automatically rolling out the anniversary update which clocks in at a hefty 3GB - full refreshes (similarly in the 3GB range) have been automatically rolling out to users since it was introduced last year. If you've updated to Windows 10 already there are some additional steps you can take to prevent it from using some unwanted/unnecessary data.    

Even if on Windows 7 or 8, you'll see a Windows 10 impact on data. Microsoft's transition process has been downloading it in the background (although not installing it) on both Windows 7 and 8 - indications are that it does that for each full refresh version released.

If you happen to have bundled Dish or DirecTV with Exede, chances are your installer may have allowed that receiver to access your Exede internet connection - with Exede, the only advantage to bundling is the $10 per month savings. Both Dish and DirecTV will consume too much data to be practical on limited Exede data plans.

Those are just some possibilities and there are many more - the remedies are too numerous based on all of the possible combinations of operating systems and versions, browsers, devices, and routers on the market short of writing War and Peace. Let us know which of those you use and some targeted advice can be offered.

Most of us who are on hard data capped plans are already familiar with these measures; however they're becoming just as important for the soft capped plans like Liberty which are frequently misinterpreted as "unlimited". It appears that a couple month's back Exede may have actually started enforcing the priority data allowance policy which has been in place since their introduction. During peak usage periods you'll only achieve speeds when in Liberty pass mode akin to speeds of those us who exceed out data caps - during non peak hours you'll receive better speeds while those of us a hard capped plans won't for the remainder of the month (outside of our free zone periods)    

Finally if new to satellite internet, you likely face a steep learning curve on how data is being consumed on your behalf (often without you knowledge). Installing a robust traffic monitoring application on your devices can assist with understanding what's going on. Since you've indicated your using Windows, you might want to look into Glasswire (available for Windows 7, 8.1 and 10). It's available at https://www.glasswire.com/. Although some causal users might find it a bit intimidating, it's relatively easy to master its use. At the same time, your router may have some basic traffic monitoring features that can be used to verify usage on all devices that are using to your Exede connection. These monitors not only allow independent monitoring, but can be useful in resolving Exede usage meter discrepancies - they do occur but unplugging the LAN cable proves nothing without supporting evidence and knowing both how and when it reports its incremental usage.
(Edited)

Cindi-Rae Howe Norejko

• 11 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thank you for such a detailed reply.  I'm using Win10 on both the laptop and the PC.  There are no other services bundled, I have just Liberty 10.  It's really quite upsetting as even if you know where your data is being consumed, with updates, there is just no way to avoid them.  You have to get them eventually, especially critical security updates and daily virus control updates.  What it actually boils down to is that we're paying a super expensive "fee" for using the Windows OS...  kinda a "hostage" situation!  When I was being hooked up the salesman-tech told me not to worry, just schedule my updates during the free-zone period so that I will still have my data to use as I need.  Now I find out there is NO free-zone for Liberty packages!  I'm really feeling a little ill about all these disappointments.  I see why they make you commit to a 2 year contract.  Buyer's remorse sets in really heavy once you see what you have compared to what you expected. 
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3488 Posts
  • 3480 Reply Likes
Unfortunately satellite internet is a last resort for those of us having no other viable options available and we have to constantly fight with our data usage.

Since you're using Windows 10 on both, see http://merabheja.com/internet-data-usage-in-windows-10/ for some things that can be done to minimize its usage.

You're correct you don't want to defer updates indefinitely and critical updates (security) are typically small. Windows 10 is supposed to deliver those automatically regardless of some of the settings.

If I were on a liberty plan I'd defer updates until the last day or two of the monthly cycle. While those of us on the hard cap plans have free zones, the benefits have been diluted as more users learn how to automatically leverage it for heavy downloads.

FWIW, Glasswire does include its own firewall (even on the free version). I use it to block some known update sites (actually defer until a more appropriate time when I have some spare data). Of course it's a manual process and requires remembering when to update. For my laptop, I will occasionally carry it with me when passing by the library and perform huge updates on their dime. At the same time, download a copy to a USB drive and use it to update the desktop PC at home. 

Cindi-Rae Howe Norejko

• 11 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thank you so much, the website is *extremely* helpful and full of tips to try.   I'll download Glasswire tonight if I can as well. I can see I'll need all the help I can get until these machines are all "caught up" on back logged updates. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3488 Posts
  • 3480 Reply Likes
FWIW, generally those full refreshes are cumulative in nature so you would be catching up on those you may have missed. Just the latest would catch up and you may have caught up on other things - going forward is your real concern and hopefully some of those suggestions can help. Installing Glasswire will give you better insight into what is going on - note that you do have to install it on both your laptop and desktop PC - it only monitors at the machine level - copy the installer to a USB for installing on the other machine after downloading.

One other question, which browser do you use on each machine?

Having gone through this pain, I can say the best for conserving my data is Firefox (although it wouldn't be my first choice but my priority is data not browser features or bright shiny objects). Coupled with an ad blocker add-on (I use Ad Block Plus) and the Flash Control (not FlashBlock) extension has kept unwanted/unnecessary data at a minimum (both are available directly from the Firefox Tools, Add-ons menu item by searching at last check).

It can be done but it's not easy and particularly hard for multi-user household (I only have to worry about two of us). If anything my usage profile is probably better suited to the Liberty Plans since the majority of it occurs during non-peak hours (there are some advantages to retirement but not many - but even when I was working it was at home, even heavier use, and still got by on the lowest plan - my usage has shifted more into the play arena now).           
(Edited)

Cindi-Rae Howe Norejko

• 11 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I prefer to use Firefox though I've dabbled with several "lighter" browsers.  (I've been on dial-up since it's inception, living in an under serviced, heavily wooded location most of my adult life.)    This is certainly better than dial-up but it also comes at 7 times the price.  LOL!   I'm the only one using the internet but I've been so deprived for so long there's a lot I want to do.  I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually.  :-)  I'm usually up in the very wee hours of morning so the free-zone would be ideal for me if it was available.  :-(  My salesman also told me I'd have a welcome package of 20 GB for a month... which also doesn't exist on this plan I just found out. 
Off to a rocky start with satellite, for sure. 
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2181 Posts
  • 398 Reply Likes
Hi Cindi-Rae, I'm sorry your data has already exceeded 5 GB.  As Old Labs indicated, there are many causes for quickly reaching or using data.  Please send us your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com and we will be happy to review your account to determine where the data has gone.  
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3025 Posts
  • 1257 Reply Likes
10 GB is simply not enough to do anything online, it might handle anti virus and operating system updates but, that's all. For two average users 30 GB is not enough with two computers to keep up to date. 50, barely if we mind the video and social sites, use blockers and such.
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 82 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
The Liberty Plan I have, 10 GB, works just fine for me. My boyfriend and I are able to live within the data limits pretty well. It is me mostly, as he is away from home with his job quite a bit. Those of us living in the country, because we want to, have to sacrifice some of the things those living in the crowded neighborhoods take for granted.

I am probably a lighter user of the internet, but I do use it for Facebook, some YouTube videos and paying my bills online, as well as supporting my female buying obsession.

Cindi-Rae Howe Norejko

• 11 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
This is a step up for me.  LOL!  I've been on dial-up all these years since I lived in a rural area with no services other than electric and copper line phone.  I've just moved to a more remote location in the Adirondacks so I'm still without cell service or DSL or cable or even land-line phone, so far, but I do have some open southern sky for the first time so was able to step up to satellite!