Good bye Liberty, at least for now - Beam 329

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
I started off on the Classic plan 4 yrs ago and switched to Liberty 18G last year. In theory, Liberty sounds good, but when you are in pass mode the speed just seems to have gotten worse and pages loaded very limited or not at all. Back to Classic where I can control the downloads, to some degree, saving them for the free zone time. I am up past midnight most nights, so it should be ok. I really do not like going back to the constant manual control of my internet connection. My main email account off during the day, to  download after midnight (still can see the emails on my phone), uploading pictures after midnight, using a tethered connection to my personal PC during the work week so that my work PC will use the Excede connection. I don't ever have my tablet or phone on Exede, but now I can do their updates after midnight, too. Just sharing my experience. All this technology and I wish I could back 5 yrs (on Hughesnet satellite then) when they only counted download and I never had to constantly manage my internet access/usage.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Well, you have described these problems SO well...I am your next door neighbor in beam 328, with all the same problems/concerns you detailed.  I never did switch to Liberty because I did think it would lead to the problems you describe...so have remained with my classic 10gb/month Exede plan. And have watched my speeds dramatically decline as "congestion" has gotten to be a bigger and bigger problem, and now for the majority of every day and night. But one question, were you able to switch back to Classic from Liberty?  When I received an offer for LIberty last year, it appeared that once that switch was made, I wouldn't be able to switch back to Classic.  Back then, Liberty plans were the only ones being offered in my beam, and now I think there is a hold on the sale of any new Exede plan subscriptions in this area (due to congestion because of too many customers).
I started out as a hughes customer myself, but they aren't any better than Exede at this point as far as I can tell, so have no other options.  I have never actually been sorry I switched to Exede from Hughes, because the significant changes in Hughes plans a few yrs ago made Exede a better deal, problems or not.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 178 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
LorrieL-  In regards to Hughesnet, that is why I said I wish we could go back 5 yrs. After that they changed and I do believe Exede is a better option. As far as the plans, you just need to watch them periodically since they change what they offer. They did take the Classics away from Beam 329 for a while, but they came back. I think when they came back is when Brian S went back to Classic. I held out for a while. I wish I didn't have to live and breathe my data allocation, but such is life. I live rural and would not change that. The new bird seems like a pipe dream.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
I do agree that living rural is the best!  I haven't been here on this board much lately. and am wondering  what IS the latest re: new satellite?  What happened?  I had thought that was a definite plan for launch last spring?
Photo of Lake Country Satellite

Lake Country Satellite, Champion

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Hang in there!  Help is just around the corner with ViaSat2!  The speeds will increase and the low data caps should be a thing of the past.  We are an Elite Dealer in 329 and can't wait for the satellite to be launched in just a few moths!
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
I did switch back last year and do not regret it at all.  This last week I went into DAP for 2 days and I have to say, while I could not download ANYTHING AT ALL, I could still browse the internet on one device reliably.  When my wife went to use facebook at the same time though, it bombed out for one of us.  One of us shut down and we could BROWSE again.

At least now I can browse in DAP, which is a far cry better than it was under Liberty.  I am thinking another vendor may soon offer some updated plans in our area well before Exede gets their act together.  2 years AFTER we were told faster access would be in place soon, it might happen by then 4th quarter of 2017 / 1st quarter of 2018.  I keep seeing people say hang  on, but I have been hearing that for 2 years now.  2 years I have been "hanging on".  

Honesty, I have been hanging on so long, I can't feel my hands or arms any more.  I look forward to the day when low data caps are gone, however I am not holding my breath as so far not a single thing Exede has "implied" has panned out.  It took a very severe argument and many calls to the corporate office to finally get them to come clean (ish) on the DAP and use under Liberty.  The adverts changed a bit for a while afterwards to better reflect the Liberty plans, however I saw a recent add that was back to the implied "unlimited data with the possibility of slower speeds during peak usage"....

Anyway - for now I live with what I have and use cell / satellite combined to get enough service.  Which is really sad, I could nearly pay double the Exede 25 plan between what my cell and satellite costs are and be better off, but neither cell nor Exede offer any advantage to paying that much for the extra data - in fact if you look at them both they want you in this "container" of data usage and make it cost prohibitive in the extreme to go outside of that bubble.  an extra 25 Gig of data from either one costs at least $250.00, whereas the initial 25 GB of data is significantly reduced.  Why not offer 50 GB of data for $300.00 (either one of them)?  No need to answer, I already know it.

I keep hearing data limits "removed" once Viasat 2 is launched, however I will bet a reasonable chunk of change that it will be late 2018 / early 2019 before Beams 329 or 328 even see anything more than what they have now.  Maybe a few larger caps, but nothing like the Freedom plan.  I hope I am wrong, but I am making my prediction now.

Only time will tell.....