Games Not Like They Used to Be

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Anyone feel this? Who misses this days where an entire game was actually put on disc?

I can't even buy a game without the game actually being on the disc itself. I bought World War Z for Xbox One and I had to download 17GB just to play it. The disc itself was 200MB. Obviously it was t the entire game. It's ridiculous. We wonder why people can so easily use so much data in a month.
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 150 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
You mean like Red Dead Redemption 2 being 105+ GB? That would be a lot of disc!

TheCatWillStrike

• 150 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
That game came on 2 discs. For me anyway
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1543 Reply Likes
I quit playing video games just as they started coming out on CDs. 

Everquest was the last modern video game I ever played and purchased.  I installed it, spend 20 minutes playing it, uninstalled it and never looked back. 

Video games shouldn't be so complicated that you have to spend 20 hours a week to get anywhere in them.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
I haven't played video games in ages and when I did the only ones I played were a few sports games. In fact my video game playing boiled down to Nascar, Madden Football, and NBA. I did play arcade games back in the day. What I don't understand is people that get addicted to games that are not timed or score kept where the object is to make it through a bunch of levels to reach the end. My girlfriend's son plays a lot of those. He pretty much works, sleeps and plays video games. He is 27 and probably has played video games 40 hours a week since he started High School. The thing is he is good enough to get through the games pretty fast, then he tosses that one on the shelf and buys another one. He probably could make payments on a nice new car for what he spends on video games, computer upgrades, and attending nerd conventions.

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Speaking of games not like they used to be, anyone else old enough to remember the public outrage over the game Death Race in 1976? It was considered overly violent by a lot of parents back then.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Never heard of it. Was it a game on an arcade machine? About the only game I can recall at that time would be Pong!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
It was an arcade game. It came out a couple years after Pong. We had one in the lobby when I worked at a movie theater in 1977.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1543 Reply Likes
Night Trap was the rage when I was a kid.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Never heard of Night Trap, the only thing I was playing in 1992 was Madden Football.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1543 Reply Likes
Night Trap was the full motion video game on Sega CD.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
I see they are closing up to 200 Game Stops, blaming people downloading games instead of buying them on CDs. As I know nothing about gaming from what I read here a lot of the games are too big now to fit on CDs, is that correct? Doesn't a CD hold a little less than a GB of data?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
The next step in gaming (cloud based) will most likely exclude satellite users altogether.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1521 Reply Likes
I still play my Half LIfe games once in a while, and I have some retro games on a Raspberry Pi.  The Half Life games, especially HL2, need some downloads, but no internet for actual game play.  HL2 and its expansion packs are the last games I bought.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Indeed.  Right up there.  The original Fallouts too.
Photo of Bond

Bond

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1521 Reply Likes
Wow!  That's dirt cheap.  $6.28 for all HL games, and $13.07 for all HL and HL related games?  Sheesh.  What a steal.  
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3552 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
Yeah games are a killer for both data and internal storage space alike. The latter is taken care of with a external hard drive but it's annoying all the same. 

Then there's all the DLC. I liked it a lot better when you'd have to scribble a cheat code out of a magazine or online but now it's a CC transaction. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
I miss games that would fit on a disk as opposed to a disc.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1542 Reply Likes
Back in the shareware games you could get a disk with dozens of games. Commander Keen was one of my favorites.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
I would have thought Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizzards.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1542 Reply Likes
That was a good game too.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Call of Duty(2019) requires a 40GB download just to play the single player campaign even if you have the disc. Ridiculous.

TheCatWillStrike

• 150 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I picked up World War 2 pretty cheap and that required a 33GB download. There's plenty of people who still have limited and slow internet.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Haha. Small games. Red Dead Redemption 2 comes in at 105GB+
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1521 Reply Likes
I downloaded SNOOD once.  I think it was less than 500KB.  LOL.  
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Wonder how much data Pong took? That started to get popular when I was in High School. They had a sit down console game in the covered patio dining area by the cafeteria and vending machines. People would even come to school early to play it, sometimes there was a long line. Winner got to stay and the challenger had to cough up the quarter. I bet that one game was making someone's car payment.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
4k is how much the original cartridge games held.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1521 Reply Likes
My dad had a Pong console at his house and my brother and I used to play it quite a bit when we'd visit him on the weekends in the mid/late 70s.  I'm sure we would have played it for hours had he let us.  

There was a Pizza Hut about ten miles from where I grew up and they had this sit down console game.  It was for two players, sitting across from each other, and the top of it was like a glass table that you could see through to play the game.  I never played it, as far as I can remember, and I can't even recall what the game was, nor what it was about, but it always fascinated me.  It seemed very futuristic.  

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
@Exsat, except that you can't even start the single player campaign of COD, from the disc, unless you do the 40GB download first. What's the point of even buying the disc?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Probably a security measure...

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
40GB of DRM.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
That is small for a top notch game. Most start at 50+ now.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
That 40GB download is in addition to the data on the disc.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Discs hold less than 50gb of game data. When a game goes gold, there is still a lot of work behind the scenes in the month leading up to release. Day 1 patches and the rest of the game are in the first patch. They usually keep part of the game out of the original disk to keep people that procure a disk earlier than release date can’t play the full game.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Not mention all the patches. I remember years ago a patch yo try Witcher 2 was like 30GB.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Still, all I wanted to do was play the single player campaign for COD MW(2019). No multiplayer, just the story OFFLINE. Unable to because of the ridiculous 40GB "update".
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Frustrating I know. Come over and I’ll download it for you in about 15 min.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
I was going to take my PS4 to my brother's house to do the update. Instead, I felt it wasn't worth it for a 6 hour campaign. I'd borrowed the disc anyway so no big deal.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Haven’t played it yet, but I hear it’s really good.

TheCatWillStrike

• 150 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I hate patches for certain things. I miss the gold bar glitch in Red Dead Redemption. It sucks that Aurthur's money didn't go to John either.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1419 Posts
  • 458 Reply Likes
Devs always quickly fix the exploits lol. Bugs, on the other hand, are prioritized as after the exploits of at all.