Game downloads slowed down beyond usable speeds (20KB/s)

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Long story short; Steam, epic, Microsoft, and other game services slowed to under 20KB/s or no connection at all.

If you have any similar results please reply below as this is a long and detailed post about my issues.

FIRST, I have attempted to contact viasat via email and, likely due to others having similar issues, I have not received a response at all. 
However, the @viasatinternet twitter account responded within a day

I have had Viasat for... idk how many years it has been now, but it's been at least 8 years easily. (so much for loyalty offers)
I have had issues in the past with Viasat obviously blocking access to simple mobile games, steam, etc. (Yeah, they specifically blocked access to playing Clash of Clans...)
Later on, I had another issue, steam would not connect at all, and I called, and repeatedly was told by the helpdesk and tier 2 in email "we do not block any services"
Notice the lack of transparency... they do not 'block' services. 
Restricting, limiting, etc is not in their vocabulary used.

Recently, around March 25th, I went to update a game on steam, as I am stuck at home like many, and gaming is passing my time.
However, I was unable to update the game because my speed is 20KB/s ... and sometimes lower.
I am on a legacy plan and my plan is one of the lower ones, as I almost always use my plan at night during my 'late night free zone' where I am not supposed to be capped on bandwidth at all. This is not the case now, as I sometimes cannot even get connections to different websites or servers, including game servers, such as steam, epic, origin, etc etc.
My plan is normally 12Mbps, which translates to a little over 1.5MBps, which is horridly slow as-is.
However, if I were to translate my current speeds I am getting to download my game updates, it is more like .0025Mbps, or 20KBps.

It is unusable and I have seen a few similar posts on this forum stating similar facts.

I have checked the equipment at my home, the modem, my personal router is 100% fine, I am wired anyway.

I ran a speedtest on speedtest.net as well as testmy.net, testmyspeed, and others, and get similar results. 
the connection speed is generally 'high', however, this is not displayed in my general usage reports, which state that I am barely getting 20KB/s when downloading updates, this also includes updates to windows services, which my computer keeps asking me to update, but the connection refuses to connect to the update service, likely because they are similar services to the microsoft store, that stores games as well.

I will not say that Viasat is specifically reducing my speeds, but there is an issue here that needs to be solved.
I pay 60$ a month for internet that is almost as slow as dial up (or worse) when the cap is used. I pay 60$ a month for internet to use during my 'late night free zone' which is currently having issues.

I pay for an internet service, and expect to be able to use what I pay for. 

I will not say viasat is 'directly' blocking, limiting, throttling, or anything....
but I will say that using a VPN, even a cheap/free vpn, allows me to go over suggested speeds, faster than my internet has ever gone. and allows me to update my games without an issue, and easily over the 20KB/s limit that has been set. 

I also want to state, the speedtest is accurate, you are getting that speed, but that is not your actual speed you get from all servers. I was able to get speeds up to 2MB/s on steam on a vpn, so there is NO reason that steam should be limited to 20KB/s while I am using my 'normal' services. 

Yes this is long, but I made sure to clarify everything.

Also, gaming is important, especially when you have nothing else to do to kill time at home while you are laid off and unable to work from home due to the nature of your profession.
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • Annoyed, angry, upset

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Just last week Viasat announced:

As more subscribers work and learn from home, we’ve implemented new optimization and web acceleration techniques to mitigate network congestion by prioritizing critical business and education applications to get preferential access compared to other high-bandwidth traffic, like gaming and entertainment video streaming.

See: https://corpblog.viasat.com/covid-network/

Your likely seeing the impact of that as people scramble to find usable Viasat bandwidth 24/7 and bandwidth demands aren't constrained to 9 to 5 now. 

Using a VPN evades detection by traffic type. Needless to say it will also use more data.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
People working from home and students doing school work take priority over gaming. That is why you are seeing slower speeds.

Sorry, gaming is not important compared to a job or finishing school.
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I work in gaming and technology, I work by testing games daily, whether it be released games or unreleased. My work is just as important. 

I am paying for a usable internet service, I expect a usable internet service. 
How I define 'usable' and how YOU define 'usable' will vary, as to be expected. 

Do not tell anyone what is or isn't important.
If viasat was beamed to hospitals, I consider that important. 
education? of course that's important. 
However, you have to realize that more people are using video streaming services to broadcast their classrooms, they are 100% unlikely to be using satellite internet to do so.
Students will likely view a stream, which is no different than a video chat, video is recorded by a teacher *uploaded*, and then *downloaded* by viewers, in real time. 
This is unlikely creating more or less traffic, the increase in traffic is unlikely to even be students working online either, as these include video streaming and I am willing to bet that most of the increase is people who are stuck at home from work/school and are gaming due to the entire event currently going on.

So, while education is important, I'm willing to say that if viasat releases any kind of usage report, that most of the content is video streaming and gaming, and there will be very...very little on the side of education being used at all.

It's satellite, if you don't know, 600ms makes online gaming near impossible to play, and most including me, don't even bother with it.

However, worse than 600ms, is 20KB/s to download an update....do you have any idea how long 20KB/s takes to download ANYTHING?!
hours/days of my time for a simple update.

20KB/s is too low, and the network is fine and unlikely to be congested because satellite is NOT reliable service, anyone who has the availability of any other service will switch without question.

So long story short, I work in the gaming industry, I get paid for testing games and sometimes reviewing them... it is my JOB, so unless you want to contradict yourself and say 'jobs are not important' or dig yourself into a hole and say 'gaming/technology jobs are not as important' then please refrain from any other rude or dense comments.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
So this was a lie in your first post? “ Also, gaming is important, especially when you have nothing else to do to kill time at home while you are laid off and unable to work from home due to the nature of your profession.”
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Not exactly what he said before you reshaped your narrative, X... here we go again... shots fired!
(Edited)
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Quite the contrary, It's not a full time job, but I do get paid to test games by a company I cannot name as the games are unreleased as of this moment.
Similar to a freelance job, I am sent games to play, review, write bug reports etc.
It is what I do in my free time, and I do get paid, so it is considered a job too. I do play other games in my non-work free-time, however, and I am paying for an internet service to do that as well as the part-time job of testing games.
my main income is working odd jobs for a few different companies, which is also more or less freelance work, however, that's an in-person job, as it requires me to physically be there to complete work.

So no, that wasn't a lie, because I happen to have more free time than I do normally, and I am stuck at home unable to work in my primary job, so I play more games, work on my car, clean the house, which are irrelevant.

Much like viasat, I was being very basic in my description, I am laid off and unable to work, at my primary job, and i do need to kill time, because I have more of it.

Better? Probably not, as the nature of your original post was assumptive. I expect no less from the next.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Apparently you have way too much time on your hands, spamming every thread this morning.

Try reading a book. Putting a puzzle together.  Go get a part-time job at a grocery store or Walmart.  They are hiring.

Game testing can wait.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
How would you propose Viasat distinguish between gaming site traffic used for entertainment vs. work?  You work in gaming and technology... enlighten me. I'm just curious but can hazard a guess as to how they identify gaming sites (as well as video streaming sites) - just not sure how they would identify you as a worker bee.

Hey I'm not spamming!
(Edited)
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Apparently you have way too much time on your hands, spamming every thread this morning. Try reading a book. Putting a puzzle together.  Go get a part-time job at a grocery store or Walmart.  They are hiring.Game testing can wait.
Firstly, I'm responding to similar threads as my own, similar to how you respond to... whatever you decide to respond to.
Also, I don't work in simple professions due to mental health issues.
Your job can wait too, apparently!

How would you propose Viasat distinguish between gaming site traffic used for entertainment vs. work?  You work in gaming and technology... enlighten me. I'm just curious but can hazard a guess as to how they identify gaming sites (as well as video streaming sites) - just not sure how they would identify you as a worker bee.
Hey I'm not spamming!
The same way they determine everything else.
I was given a usage report by the network team at viasat. and YES they do monitor and track your usage, so if you visit a streaming site, they can see the name, and categorize it based on usage, so nothing you do is 'hidden'.. most people understand this that have a brain, which you seem to have so i'll skip that part.

I've told viasat many times that I do game testing as a job, and this is initially why i kept my liberty 12 plan, with the lnfz, as I do my testing during that time anyway, and it works out due to the bandwidth restriction being lifted *cough cough*.

They are 100% able to restrict or prioritize and/or limit specific sites and data, which was made obvious by the recent post, and I can also guarantee that they've been doing that before this time as well, as twitch streaming was something I tested (part of my game testing as well). 
So it's almost impossible to distinguish me as someone who works in that industry... without me telling them.

However, viasat very obviously has network profiles on all of their users, whether it be based on the modem or specific username etc. So, they could very easily apply different profiles to different accounts.
So, with a little input from myself, and others, there could easily be a profile generated to at least slightly lift the traffic for myself for specific services, at least during the LNFZ, as I do other things during the day than play games, contrary to 'others' belief.

So, short answer... they can't determine it based off of traffic usage, unless they have the information on the company i'm employed by... which changes frequently (I am not allowed to say which company anyway as dictated by NDA).
But, they could easily implement profiles to allow me to complete my work. 
I am sure it's possible, as I have a friend who got exede (under my dumb recommendation a long time ago), and funnily enough, he does not have this restriction, and he doesn't test games, but plays them frequently.

Also I noticed 'exede' no longer exists technically, and it's supposed to all be under 'viasat internet' now. 

I will apologize for typing a bit more than usual, as I prefer to explain, and i'm terrible at summarizing.
I also type far too quickly... so it gets long sometimes.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
So suggest it to Viasat -  send your thesis to viasatlistens@viasat.com. Maybe they'll hire you to implement it ;)

Getting into a pissing match with other subscribers here ain't going to change anything - like many you assume this is a direct support forum - it's not. Nobody here but us chickens. The moderators (employees) only come in here to keep the peace.

Can I interest you in one of our sweatshirts?

(Edited)
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
You and I both know they'll listen as much as a chicken does.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Not many here are listening either - they've' heard it all before.
(Edited)
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Apparently you're listening... or.. you know... bored.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
ViaSat has to implement the best policies for the masses, but, like anything else, It's not going to fit every person's situation.  

Concerning usage as a whole, gaming, including the downloading of gaming content, is an unnecessary and incredibly wasteful use of bandwidth during this incredibly difficult time.  

It is what it is.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
ViaSat has to implement the best policies for the masses, but, like anything else, It's not going to fit every person's situation.  

Concerning usage as a whole, gaming, including the downloading of gaming content, is an unnecessary and incredibly wasteful use of bandwidth during this incredibly difficult time.  

It is what it is.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
Oh lovely.  Double post syndrome again.  

Get it together, GetSat!  
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The vpn works better during the LNFZ, other providers are not doing any such restrictions.
20KB/s is ridiculous even for a restriction.
Videos are fine, because teachers are using youtube and who knows what in order to stream their classes to a home 'classroom'

I understand that education is important, but they couldn't even manage 100KB/s?! 
It's quite literally slower than dialup as of this moment. 

I am not paying for 20KB/s, that's the final truth of it all.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
I understand that education is important, but they couldn't even manage 100KB/s?! 
With more education you'll find the answer is likely no. And that's the truth - you'll find it's been discussed ad nauseum here. Looks like you're finding them. You'll find hours of entertainment just reading them. The good news is Viasat's doing something about it - it's called Viasat-3 and should be here in a year or two.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
None of us are paying for that speed, but that is what many of us are getting. That is life. Suck it up, buttercup.
Photo of Whitey

Whitey

• 96 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
I remember when Viasat 2 was going to be the answer to everything.  What a let down that turned out to be.
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
With more education you'll find the answer is likely no. And that's the truth - you'll find it's been discussed ad nauseum here. Looks like you're finding them. You'll find hours of entertainment just reading them. The good news is Viasat's doing something about it - it's called Viasat-3 and should be here in a year or two.
Starlink will be ready before years end, or perhaps next year. 
Far past when viasat will have outlived it's usefulness with one satellite vs thousands in a network.
Viasat-3 would have to provide speeds of less than 20ms ping and faster than gigabit networking on the highest plan with virtually no data cap.

They already lost customers even if starlink only gets 1/4 of that speed. I'm willing to bet 99% of people who are younger and/or more educated will drop viasat the second that starlink is available.

Funny, mentioning education, It is important, but I know enough about the networking aspect of satellite that 100KB/s is 100% possible without much disruption at all.

20KB/s is an insult to the customer.
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I remember when Viasat 2 was going to be the answer to everything.  What a let down that turned out to be...
I remember being told on the phone with support by a manager that Viasat 2's speeds were better and faster than before and they were even going to increase data capacity for all users and plans.

That was 7.5GB to 10GB... a month.
understanding the cap is download/upload, that means you get a week or less of uptime at max speed. 
Viasat 3 won't change any of that, even if it does, Starlink will outperform (and already has) without even trying.

Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
None of us are paying for that speed, but that is what many of us are getting. That is life. Suck it up, buttercup.
To refrain from feeding the troll (made obvious by profile of posts).
I will simply say that you need help...
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Funny, mentioning education, It is important, but I know enough about the networking aspect of satellite that 100KB/s is 100% possible without much disruption at all.

How so? Offer a solution?  What is overall capacity of the satellite(s)? How is it allocated between residential, commercial and government? How many residential subscribers are there? I'll start you off with an answers.  400 Gbps aggregate (maybe a smidge more if you want to include the 2 older birds). Various sources suggest somewhere around 270 Gbps is reserved for residential subscribers. Residential subscriber counts hover around 577000 +/-

The capacity is simply not there. That's the basic premise here - you either believe it or not. Wait for Starlink, wait for Viasat... no relief in sight for next week.

(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
@X OK, I call your bluff. Show us the calculations that suggest Viasat can provide 200 Kpbs to every user. Please demonstration your knowledge of satellites and networking. Be prepared though as I will check your work.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Be prepared, Voyager already qualified for our sweatshirt giveaway above ;) By my match that should be 800 kbps - but they told me there'd be no math.
(Edited)
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
400Gbps translates to 50000000 KB, given your estimation of 577000... that means less than 100KB is available to customers already, and then your estimate says only 270 is reserved for that capacity. 

12Mbps, or .012Gb is what the lowest plan currently has, unless you have the old 5Mbps plan, which... i don't think many people do.

those 400Gbps can only support 33.33k people at that speed.
Or if you want, we can only go on reduced speeds, 0.001Gb, or 1Mbps, can only support 400,000 people... 
Doesn't add up, because that's an aggregated speed, and there's likely more available, or... there's not actually that many subscribers at all.

I'll leave you to say which makes more sense, because I highly doubt viasat sent a team to 'add bandwidth' to a satellite in low orbit.

So number crunching aside, the 400Gbps number is accurate for viasat 1 and 2, 260Gbps and 140Gbps, more or less. 
however, it's highly doubtful that there's 577000 or even close to that number of people, because that satellite network would collapse so quickly under strain....
So yeah, i believe if it could handle it before, it can handle it now.

That's not even counting the people that pay for the 25Mbps speeds....

I know this is all aggregated and split up much much more to allow for greater speeds, the fact the satellite is working at all is proof that it's operational capacity and it's tested capacity are slightly different. 

There were supposed to be 700,000+/- customers on Viasat 1, at 140Gbps...
That's simply not possible at todays speeds.
I will also note that they switched me over to Viasat 2 shortly after it was operational, and I received the same service speeds, which is expected, but still... disappointing.

Anyway... ping is one thing, 600ms, going 22,000 miles +/- back and forth to space... that can't be helped much without lowering operational orbit space (somehow)
but the bandwidth has to be correct, ...and there's simply no way it could support that many users at any one time, even on a restricted speed.

None of the numbers add up, so there's honestly no reason to discuss them any further than this.

You are right however... no hope for tomorrow. (except vpn)

Some starlink numbers for you.... though you may already keep up with it.

Starlink's single satellites are 17-23Gbps
I believe they have 240 in the constellation of satellites so far... accounting for 4800Gbps (at 20Gbps estimated)

I am fully expecting viasat to collapse under it's own weight, even if the new starlink cheap plan is 100Mbps, and 80$ a month, it will be well worth it in comparison.

That's the estimated price, and it is rumored that is an 'up to' price, i.e. their highest plan is 80$.

I for one... can't wait. 

Viasat 3, up to 1000Gbps...
Starlink, over 4800Gbps at a median capacity. (current)

Estimated bandwidth later this year? 600 satellites is the 'operational' and 1200 is the next step. so 600 by end of year, 12,000Gbps total, and 24,000Gbps later.

However...the full constellation is meant to be 12,000 satellites total. 
accounting for 240,000Gbps. 
Lower ping, more bandwidth... 
At an estimate, starlink can provide all 577,000 viasat customers w/ 100Mbps with ease... that should scare viasat when they can't provide much at all. while end of year starlink could provide the 577k with 20Mbps each (estimated)... which is still better than current needs.

I should note that my numbers above would be active usage, which is unlikely due to the nature of satellite internet usage.

...if you can't tell... i'm bored, so i'm on here to complain... but interesting discussion at least comes of it.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Latest published subscriber counts 587000. See:

http://investors.viasat.com/news-releases/news-release-details/viasat-announces-second-quarter-fisca...

Quarter 3 report says flat subscriber counts.

Safe to assume most of those 587000 are now working and schooling at home.

All other numbers were from quarterly conference calls. The flaw in your starlink logic has already been discussed here. For that and failure to understand shared resources, I regretfully have to withdraw the sweatshirt offer.

(Edited)
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
@X OK, I call your bluff. Show us the calculations that suggest Viasat can provide 200 Kpbs to every user. Please demonstration your knowledge of satellites and networking. Be prepared though as I will check your work.
200Kbps? you misunderstand, I said 100KBps, not kilobits...
200Kbps is only 25KBps(kilobytes, not kilobits...)

and without converting, those 587000 people could in fact enjoy 200Kbps and a little more actually, but that would be quite unusable.

The flaw in your starlink logic has already been discussed here. For that I have to withdraw the sweatshirt offer.
'here' as in the forum or this post? because there was no mention of the logic anywhere else.

Also I don't wear those types of sweatshirts, I need a zipper c'mon!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
In this forum -  those numbers you cite are aggregates for the entire "constellation" - capacity for each satellite is touted at 20 Gbps - at most you'll only ever be connecting to one at a time.  Analogous to Viasat's spot beams. You get no benefit from bandwidth on the other side of the globe until it passes over.

No real estimates of how much geographic area each satellite will cover, StarLink will still have to mange subscriber counts based on each satellite's footprint and population densities.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
@X What a long and rambling post to say basically nothing. At least we know now that your claim to understand networking is about as good as your claim that you are playing games for “work” rather than entertainment as you originally posted.
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I believe you misunderstand how starlink works. 
They are low earth orbit (leo) satellites, around 350+ miles, versus 22,000 miles such as viasat and other satellite providers satellites.
So the ping is much ... much lower. and has been proven at a stable 20ms, I don't have to explain how much better that is to viasat.

The trick is that starlink is engineered for being a network of satellites, the constellation is a network that everyone will use to connect to, and the satellites communicate with each other as well.
They are also fixed orbit satellites, 600 satellites is the estimate to cover the constellation as operational in North America, though it was said that this is US only, and the initial satellites are prioritized based on rural areas where cable/dsl/fiber are not available at all. (the satellites are placed wherever, but usage is meant to go to those w/o fiber etc available.

At 20Gbps, and 600 satellites, they can easily manage that footprint. You forget there's an extreme amount of engineering behind the entire project, They are building the satellites engineering and all, not contracting it out to other companies *cough*.

I will agree that it will not immediately be 'the best' network, and it will also take more time to fine tune, and not every customer will get a 1Gbps connection.

But I can almost guarantee it will be better than the current options ... if not phase them out entirely. 
If Viasat can manage 587,000 on two satellites (not counting the others)
then imagine that split up among 600, with more bandwidth in total.

You should read up on starlink and how it actually works, it's quite impressive.

I've been following it for far too long, but you'd have to be delusional not to see the potential.

There's way too much money in the project for it to flop anyway.

Feel free to present any findings you have though, i'm interesting in more information if you have it.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
I have read up on it, at most you will be using only one satellite at a time. A lot of time those satellites will be over oceans. But once they're up and running I'm going to find a deserted island and enjoy my 20 Gbps.

Better? Yeah, probably -  let me know when it's all up and running.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Good luck with that:

https://www.lightreading.com/services/oneweb-reportedly-heads-into-bankruptcy-and-spacex-might-be-next/d/d-id/758531?

Like I said let m know when it's up and running... we live in interesting and perilous times.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2438 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
One thing for sure. Not going to be extra money for investing on this.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Thanks for the Walmart tip earlier, I was able to land a greeter position with hazard pay... Here I am first day on the job...

Posting from my cell phone, excuse any typos...
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
@Old Some of us who have been around a while are getting that deja vu feeling. Remember Teledesic? It was also backed by a big name - a now nearly obscure person named Bill Gates. It was also well-funded - it spent/lost about $9 billion (yes, billion with a B) dollars, which is Equivalent to about $13 billion in today’s money.

These young gamers don’t know history unfortunately ... or Santayana’s famous quote.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Let's setup camp at San Jacinto?? Ooops sorry I always get those two guys confused. 
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
 By my match that should be 800 kbps - but they told me there'd be no math.

Where did you get 800?
it's 680kbps MAX on the 400Gbps

Do I need to mention again... difference in Kbps and KBps?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 774 Posts
  • 768 Reply Likes
You said 100 KBps that's 800 kbps -  difference in what you're talking about. Try to keep up.

But just to be clear 270Gbps = 270,000Mbps.

270000 Mbps / 587000 = .46 Mbps = 460 Kbps.

Viasat would be capable of dedicating that top each subscriber - no more no less. You're asking for dedicated bandwidth (no up to).

You'll find my lecture on prioritization over here:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/paying-for-unlimited-internet-usage-but-what-i-get-is-60g...

(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 417 Posts
  • 182 Reply Likes
Since others less technical,  read this board it is some time helpful to spell out acronyms and ratios etc.

Kbps, Kilo bits per second  verses KBps, bytes per second, and a byte consists of 8 bits.

so 1000 Kbps is equal to 125 KBps, quite a difference, 8 Kbps to 1 KBps.

When capitalization actually means something.. :)

(I don't know if the above is helpful or not, but you can review mega bits, mega bytes, giga bits, giga bytes etc., depending on the unit of measurement your are concerned with).

But the bottom line is there is limited bandwidth and a significant increase in demand and while they can, to some degree, manage their data speeds there will not be enough data or speed to meet the perceived and/or actual needs of their customers. 

I know everyone is paying for their service and should receive what is spelled out in their contract, but it hasn't been happening, and will most likely not happen for the foreseeable future.

(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 835 Posts
  • 290 Reply Likes
If you read the contract, at least my Liberty plan contract, even getting zero meets what is promised in the contract.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2429 Posts
  • 1435 Reply Likes
1kbps is greater than zero!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 835 Posts
  • 290 Reply Likes
@Ex Technically, yes. Practically, no.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2429 Posts
  • 1435 Reply Likes
Too bad not a guaranteed minimum. That would be interesting. Even if 56k. Lol
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 835 Posts
  • 290 Reply Likes
The only guarantee from any ISP is that they will reliably take your money every month without fail.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2983 Posts
  • 1604 Reply Likes
I’m too lazy to read all of those posts but if I understand correctly, millions of people have lost their real jobs and a kid is here complaining that he can not longer get paid to play video games.

First world problems sure are ridiculous.
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I’m too lazy to read all of those posts but if I understand correctly, millions of people have lost their real jobs and a kid is here complaining that he can not longer get paid to play video games.

First world problems sure are ridiculous.

You are correct, millions of people have lost 'real jobs' including me, Including my family and friends.
I work odd freelance jobs on the side, which include a variety of game testing that I happen to get paid for. You know, a job, things that pay you money for doing things they need doing.

So excuse me while I am complaining about the only work from home I can perform while my real job is postponed.
Which has nearly been halted by this ridiculous excuse for optimization.
They saw a 10% increase in traffic, and they freaked out....

First world problems have solutions... fortunately.
Im sorry that you can't adapt to a changing future, the world has changed, perhaps you should do some research and contribute instead of "oh look a kid playing games, your only income isn't important because it involves games!" or "I am from the oldest generation and making money isn't important" or something else stupidly along those lines.

By your logic, I'm sure you'd be perfectly fine were you to suddenly lose your only sources of income. Maybe you have, but that's first world problems for you too.

Im still far under the data cap, as it's quite difficult to use anything at 20KBps.

Thanks to Johnny for explaining the Kbps and KBps etc etc...
I over estimated the others intelligence, won't happen again.

Apologies as im on mobile and this site has terrible design for mobile.

Good day.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
Which has nearly been halted by this ridiculous excuse for optimization.
The thousands who this prioritization implementation is designed to help would likely disagree, as I'm sure would many of the rest of ViaSat's subscribers.  Actually, when you come to think of it, most of society would probably think otherwise, as well.  

Your situation being one of the very few who may be hurt by this hardly makes it ridiculous.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2983 Posts
  • 1604 Reply Likes
I’d be more concerned with growing a garden than playing a video game.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
I'm growing wheat for ramen -  good eating, good bathing... enough said.
(Edited)
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Both of you have proven my point, those sound like first world problems to me.

I never said education was not important... but income? That is important for everyone.
So you grow that garden, and when it makes you an income, great. But when your garden and all other income possibilities you have are no longer viable.... have a nice day.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
I never said education was not important... but income? That is important for everyone.
You're right, and that's one of the main reasons for implementing the policy.  

In the immortal words of Spock and Kirk, respectively: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."  "Or the one." 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
But wait, there's more! If you order the complete set in the next 5 minutes.

https://www.theobjectivestandard.com/2013/09/spocks-illogic-the-needs-of-the-many-outweigh-the-needs-of-the-few/
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much data have you used?

And yes.
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Liberty 12 w/ the 12-5am lnfz.
I just reset and ive not used much, less than usual, about 300MB.
In the past the 10GB makes it about a week, family of 3... doesn't take long, even with the lnfz
(Late night free zone is essentially uncapped, unrestrictive bandwidth, or.... it was)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Hang on to that 5 hour free zone. It is worth gold!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Liberty never had a 5 hour free zone, only 0300 - 0600. When  first introduced, Liberty didn't even have a free zone and you had to  specifically "upgrade" to the Liberty plan with a free zone (it was considered a total different plan offering). 

If you've got a 5 hour free zone you're on a classic plan which might explain your poor speeds - if over you're hard capped and throttled to what used to be 256 kbps as I recall. Even the free zone is likely performing poorly just like when everyone had it and it was overused. When I was on it, the only thing that could be said about the free zone was that it was free data. Folks are now shifting their use into the free zone for all plans. The mention of 10GB suggests you're on a classic plan also. If so, now might actually be a good time to give it up! Liberty 12 is 12 GB. The number after Liberty is priority data not speed. The number after Unlimited is speed. Now might be a good time to upgrade if on Classic. There were Liberty 10 18 & 30 but no free zone as I recall.

I'm starting to think most folks don't even know what plan they're on with all the variations (let alone knowing the behavioral differences of each). Anybody up for Evolution? Sorry I get suspicious when folks started citing conflicting numbers.

With classic plans, folks could even be on the older birds and augmented beams. You need a scorecard to keep track of plans (click image to enlarge)

Now let's repeat the question - often the answers don't compute, but the answer should be right on your account page along with what you can upgade to if you decide to ;)
(Edited)
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It's exede12, 10GB.
There was a thing where they offered me the 3-7 as a free zone at one time, but i refused to change. They changed my equipment out for v2 on the same plan... not really any change in speed but im gonna agree worth others, the free zone is (was) the best thing to have for my personal usage.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
The free zone is only worth it if it remains usable, as I said. It was unusable for me when I had a classic plan from midnight until around 0300. Liberty 12 worked out better despite its shorter free zone (0300 - 0600 is less used on either - early birds get the worm) and Liberty's Liberty Pass is less restrictive during the day when you exceed your priority data. But it's all relative and how heavily your beam is subscribed. I only offer it as a possible option for you with the caveat that if you do switch that grandfathered classic plan is history for you. There was never a guarantee of speed on free zone despite your "speed" being restored -  it is simply a period when your data doesn't count to your monthly allotment. 

Viasat has made it very difficult to choose plans now. Multiple data allowance policies, slightly different plans and a variety of pricing based on service areas.
(Edited)
Photo of tmaster

tmaster

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
game updates are not allowed at anytime even in free zone.   The free zone was the only time we ran updates. Now you need a VPN to do them.
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Use a VPN like NordVPN. I've been using it and it's great. I have the 25mbps unlimited silver plan and have used 500GB and counting since I reset a week ago. The VPN allows me to bypass Viasat's deprioritization and let me pull upwards of 50mbps! During peak hrs I pull 10mbps on VPN, without VPN on peak hours it's 0.3mbps. Full HD - even at 4K! I suggest you upgrade to an unlimited plan and do this. Having a network wide VPN on your router would make it easier as to using a VPN client on each device.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2438 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Please share your speed test screen shots!
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2438 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Interesting. Thanks.

And Minford no less!
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thats extremely interesting results.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Austin doesn't say whether this is a new phenomenon or not -  if new there could be a perfectly logical explanation for it now. I can think of one based on a recent Viasat announcement and it would be an oversight if newer/recent. That thundering herd you see is Viasat subscribers storming the NordVPN gates now that the cat is out of the bag.

Like I said above try a VPN - you've now got a named one to work with but might only be feasible with an "unlimited" plan.
(Edited)
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've only had Viasat for a month. I used to have exede 5 of 6 years ago. I'm assuming this happens bc viasat is prioritizing business traffic (eg VPN) which allows this. Just a guess, though.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
There you go! That's my guess also. They announced that priority would be given to work at home and school - how can they determine whether you're using something for work, school or pleasure? They really can't with 100% accuracy but work and school typically will use VPN.

Thought I recognized the name .. but it might be limited by plan and/or satellite. It my simply be a stop gap until they can figure out how to distinguish between business, school and pleasure.
(Edited)
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Right. So far my viasat unlined silver has worked great, my entire family including myself are working from home until further notice. For whatever reason, only VS1 was available in my area when I signed up in February despite being in a VS2 coverage area.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
So not Viasat-2 and not the white triangular modem? Confirming Unlimited Silver is available to some areas on Viasat -1
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Correct. I have a black modem that says exede on the side. I originally had the unlimited gold 30 but switched to silver 25.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2438 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Sounds like VPN traffic is definitely prioritized. And they wouldn't be able to tell what it is being used for.

Those pesky consumers finding their way around restraints. And no matter the plan, if you get the speed, the video resolution downgrader won't work.
(Edited)
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 64 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
If I found the right post, this unreasonable person is now ranting on Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Viasat/comme...
Photo of tmaster

tmaster

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yea I was against the FCC regulating ISPs because we had no real problems but now looks like its needed.

Its not playing games. Its downloading monthly updates while people working are sleeping.

This clearly has nothing to do with people working from home thats just an excuse to tell people that know nothing about game consoles.

No one plays games on viasat the ping is to high we play on the phones hotspot and use our free time to update the game once a month.
Photo of Simon R. Rhodes III

Simon R. Rhodes III

• 43 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I actually do play some of my games through viasat as my current company did not implement hotspot until late last year. It's only 10GBs so it's just as restrictive as what I get from Viasat. So when I have things that deal with MMOs or whatnot I do use LNFZ to take care of what I can. Does the experience suck because of lag? Yes! But at the very least I'm able to play.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 844 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
Pretty sad, with all the issues first responders and teachers are having trying to work remotely using Viasat we have people complaining to no end about not being able to download video games. There definitely are a lot of self centered people among us.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
Yep.  His enjoyment, and then his rare instance of needing to game for work, if that can actually be believed, is more important than what they've implemented to help the masses.  The complete opposite of altruism.

Notice how the gaming was originally for "passing my time" and "killing time"?  Then, after people jumped on his utterly ridiculous complaint, it was for work.  SMH.  
Photo of Simon R. Rhodes III

Simon R. Rhodes III

• 43 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Actually that is me. Not the other guy. I'll put it out wherever it needs to be. I ain't worried about no first responders because my argument is again nowhere about that. It is about the extreme reduction of speed that did not need to happen. Streaming platforms are unharmed as they can pay off Viasat. Gaming platforms have no reason to pay up due to knowing sat gamers are few in number. Even with that said to treat us like tough cookies take it or leave it is bs. We deserve just as much to utilize our network as anyone else. They swing the needle too far and because we have no other option they think it's fine cuz where can we go?
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
Streaming platforms are unharmed as they can pay off Viasat.
Utter nonsense.  Nobody's paying ViaSat for preferred access, and that includes steaming platforms.  
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
You need psychological help.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 64 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
"We deserve just as much to utilize our network as anyone else."
For gaming, during this time? No. Turn off updates, play offline games, leave bandwidth for general use and those that have important things to do.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
And to think that I haven't watched a single video of any sort in over two weeks, save for a 15 second Youtube video on removing the cover of my mini PC.  

Trying to spare some bandwidth for those who need it more than I.  
Photo of tmaster

tmaster

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I fail to see how downloading video game updates while people that work at home are sleeping affects anyone. The free time was to be first come first served shared we never signed up for a plan that limited game updates in the free zone. Next they will be limiting netflix and youtube.

This has nothing to do with playing games it has to do with the monthly updates that we need to keep the kids games running. They are done at night not while people are working. This has nothing to do with people working from home if it did they would only limit it in working hrs.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
You might be surprised at how many folks are working through the night just to find some available bandwidth during these tough times. Same for college students. I used to do it all the time when working at home and used to have to wait until about 3:00 AM before I could get anything done as all the automatic downloads kicked in at midnight. My neighbors kid stays up all night trying to get her coursework done. You're right it has nothing to do with playing games but rather a lack of bandwidth 24/7 and Viasat's attempts to prioritize traffic by type. You're also right that you fail to see. Don't give 'em any more ideas about netflix and youtube - it's already been suggested.  
(Edited)
Photo of tmaster

tmaster

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same problem looks like everyone is going to have to get VPN. Until they start blocking VPN. Clearly this has nothing to do with people working from home. That story is just for non game owners that dont understand whats going on.

It comes from some post on twitter on how gammers are using up the bandwidth

No one plays games on viasat.    We download monthly or by monthly game updates in the free zone.

There is no way anyone is working from home in the free zones.

(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Glad you're paying attention on how to bypass Viasat's detection of your traffic type - we've been discussing it here and speculating why it may be working - don't expect the free ride forever. Let us know how it works out for you. it seems like gamers are the only ones not knowing what's going on. And I'm not talking about gaming on Viasat but rather downloading them. Yes way! Let's leave it at no way you're working from home during the free zone.  
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Salmons

Michael Salmons

• 32 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ah so that is it, I was wondering why I couldn't stay connected to game servers to play my game when I had good speeds.  It is what it is, hope this throttling doesn't last too long.
Photo of David S.

David S.

• 46 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yes yes yall are all saints for paying for something then not using it. As for the de-prioritization of gaming i guess we all have the repeal of net neutrality to thank "
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Network neutrality, or simply net neutrality, is the principle that Internet service providers (ISPs) must treat all Internet communications equally, and not discriminate or charge differently based on user, content, website, platform, application, type of equipment, source address, destination address, or method of communication.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 774 Posts
  • 768 Reply Likes
Actually, you have Viasat's Network Management Policy to thank for it. That policy is available at:

https://p.widencdn.net/iyloux/network-management-policy

It was first published in early 2015 shortly before the FCC passed the net neutrality rules in April of that year. That document was a requirement of those new rules at that time. What you've described (copied from Wikipedia) is the spirit of net neutrality not actually what was passed in the US.

That disclosure requirement still remains in effect:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumer-governmental-affairs/internet-service-provider-disclosures/disclosure-instructions-isps

Right now Viasat and other ISPs are operating under the terms of:

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-17-166A1.pdf

If you feel they aren't, you should take it up with the FCC and file a a specific, formal complaint.
(Edited)