Future Cancellation

• Question
  • Updated 4 days ago
  • In Progress
I am a long time Wild Blue / Viasat customer, but I have been informed by my local telephone company that I am now eligible for DSL service. Comparing the two, I see no downside to giving it a try, so I have an installation scheduled for early August. I understand that If, or when, I cancel Viasat, I will be required to return my modem and tria., and I will be sent the box to utilize for the return. My Viasat service is located in a seasonal home, so I am concerned that I may not be at the residence when the material is delivered., so I would prefer to have the box sent to my billing address instead of my service address. Anybody familiar with this request? Thanks
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 267 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
"Anybody familiar with this request?"

Yes I am, make certain Viasat clearly understands the address you want to have the return box delivered to.
Your's is a common scenario.

Place the TRIA, modem, the complete power supply w/cord & the ethernet cable in their respective 'nests' in the box - there is a large pictorial diagram / instructions included.

Now - this is important - take a picture of all the items in the box before sealing it up.
You now have proof all parts were included should there be any contrary claims later.

Now - this is important - take a second photo of the sealed up box, making sure you can clearly read the tracking number.

Just like with your house & car insurance, you have it and hope you don't need to use it...

Photo of Tom

Tom

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Good information. Thanks for the tips.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 970 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
Bob's advice is right on.

I'd add that if you don't receive the equipment recovery box within 5 business days, either call in or email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com
to confirm the correct shipping address.  
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Well, good thing I asked.. I had DSL installed 7/31. tried it for two weeks, and a few days ago, called ViaSat to cancel. Thought all went well as I stressed the importance of sending the box to my billing address, not the service address. Mentioned it twice to the retention rep and asked him to verbally confirm it back to me. Of course a few days later I checked on line and discovered that the box was on the way to the wrong address. I have since called back and having another box sent to my billing address. Now, just have to wait for the next issue. 
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It didn't work. The first, and only shipment is at my old address. One email to ViaSat Listens, no answer back. Three phone calls, all with commitments to fix the issue and nothing happening. 13 years with Wild Blue / ViaSat you would think a little respect. 
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 359 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
I dont like ups trucks coming down my road so I asked if they could send it to my P.O. Box She said she didn’t think so and they normally send it to the actual location of service. Makes sense 98% of the time. So I just said that will be fine. I have the ups store set up as my choice and that is where the box was delivered.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 970 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
Tom,

We have your email, and will answer it soon. We're working through a bit of a backlog 
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Matt, I have since talked to another agent. If possible, maybe you can confirm that the changes have in fact been made  Thank you
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 359 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
I took photos, made a video and took pictures at the UPS store with the box on the UPS scale.

It was 11 lbs, the label was for 10, UPS said no problem.

Then I tracked and printed the proof of delivery.

Called Viasat, talk to a very well qualified support person who checked everything and said looks like all is well and you should not have any charges.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Will follow your lead. Thanks
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Seemed like a pretty simple request. Cannot understand how three customer service reps claim to understand the issue, tell you all set now, only to find out the next day that nothing has been done. One rep told me that they have to change my service address to my billing address . Never happened.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 356 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Don't you realize Viasat is 3x faster than slow DSL? That is what their commercials say? Are you telling me you don't believe them?
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 265 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
You missed the loop hole
Listen to it again

3X faster than TYPICAL DSL

DSL around here is 1.5 x 1 at best
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 356 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
I didn't miss anything, their ads are misleading and deceptive. What is your excuse for ads on broadcast TV claiming free installation when it costs $150 in the areas the commercials are broadcast in? You can find old posts in here where Viasat employees say they should not have the DSL part in their commercials.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 876 Posts
  • 570 Reply Likes
Bob.  And I don't mean this as a negative.  I know you sell the product.  But I am curious.  Do you use Viasat as your primary source of internet in your home?  I am sure you might run a test account for customers to see.  Just wondering if you use Viasat as your primary internet.  You don't have to answer if you don't want to. 
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 265 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Will, just like too many things in the world today:

The bold print giveth
and 
The fine print taketh away...

Maybe that is why there are lawyers in the Marketing dept of virtually all global corporations anymore - it ain't just Viasat
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 876 Posts
  • 570 Reply Likes
There is a reason why there are warning signs on McDonald's coffee!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 356 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
I really don't understand why coffee needs to be boiling hot, that woman that sued McDonald's got 3rd degree burns into muscle tissue.

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 267 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
ESU, I have four ISPs to pick from at my place
I use them all but mostly use 100 meg cable

I used to own a garment printing business, screen printing & embroidery
I never, ok rarely, wore any of my imprinted garments - occasionally a politically themed one for appropriate occasions.

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 356 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Would you sell Viasat to someone who had DSL? My Viasat often fell below 90's DSL that was in the 700's Kbps range.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 267 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Will, I believe, regardless of the product or service, a seller is morally obligated to accurately set a potential buyer's expectations.

In today's business climate, those who close a sale by any means, usually have the fatter bank balance than those of us who give a rats azz....

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 877 Posts
  • 571 Reply Likes
Really, I don't think speed is Viasat's biggest issue. The high latency and video resolution downgrader can play havoc with apps and sites today.

While overall the speed of my wireless connection is nothing that great, browsing response time and no video buffering occurs. I always had to pre-record streaming content with Viasat. I dont do that anymore. But I still pay and use PlayOn Cloud for downloading shows when traveling. PlayOn Cloud is well worth it! And for those that still have satellite internet, I highly recommend it.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 267 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
There are vast areas of the country where the choice is between lower quality internet with higher quality local environment - or - better quality internet with sirens, banging dumpsters, surround sound barking dogs, stinky air etc etc etc

For many of us we gotta make tradeoffs using our own 'value yard sticks'...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 877 Posts
  • 571 Reply Likes
That is a tired old argument though. This is 2019, not 1929.

If you can get electric ran to your house, you should be able to get high speed wired internet.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 356 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Not sure what they are doing now but back in the early 2000's the cable companies where I lived in So Cal hung their cables on the electric poles. Pretty sure it is cheaper to run and maintain than 3 hot electrical wires and a neutral, plus all the transformers. Pretty sure the electric companies would rent them space on their poles.