Freedom

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: overrun by negative comments and infighting between community members

If the Freedom plan costs $99 for 150GB why does buying extra when you run out cost ten times that?
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
Hi David 
All extra data with our buy more option will be 9.99 for all plans
Photo of James E Besser

James E Besser

• 77 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
you used 150 GB wow what happen
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
It slows so you can't stream movies but can still browse web. My issue is that the 9.99 extra data is over 10 times the regular price.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
Then they should have charged you $1,500/mo. and you wouldn't have a gripe eh?
Read on, I posted more things to go with your gems.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 398 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
You should realize by now that the business model of Satellite internet providers is to discourage anyone from using more data (bandwidth) from a very limited amount of bandwidth on the satellite...so this makes it more expensive for the customer to buy more bandwidth...if it was easy, or cheaper to buy more bandwidth then a few customers could hog up what they wanted and make it even more difficult for the rest of the customers to get their fair share.

The only solution is to add more bandwidth, which requires more satellites, and this is the plan...both major satellite internet providers are nearing launch dates for new satellites, hence, more bandwidth...but, don't forget, the demand for more bandwidth is growing faster than bandwidth availability.  

Largely due to customers who want to stream TV programming/shows/sporting events/etc. via internet...some regulations need to be implemented..IMHO... 
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes

@Don Anderson Sr.

You are uneducated about bi-directional satellite data delivery. 

The cost of providing service is NOT limited or enhanced  by the data blocks purchased by ViaSat to operate the exede satellite based internet system.  The data block price is insignificant and therefore a moot point in the grand scheme of things required to operate exede.  The biggest cost to operate a system such as exede is the infrastructure required to supply the service.  This required infrastructure is UN-upgradable,  meaning what they install is all it will ever be in design capacity.  The engineering cost to design a high-powered data satellite is nearly as expensive as the physical satellite itself. The price on the ViaSat-2 satellite is over a half-billion dollars, not including launch cost and then ongoing operational cost.

It is a high-stakes gamble to enter the satellite internet business and the returns are just not what they should be considering the investment required to subscribe the first customer.  The risk to investment loss is raised when the company you have contracted to build the satellite builds a duplicate in secret and sells it to your competitor at a fraction of the price (since all the engineering cost were borne by you) as was the case of ViaSat-1 when Space Systems/Loral (SSL) made the Jupiter-1/EchoStar 17 satellite and sold it to Hughes Network Systems.  I think ViaSat was in error not to have the Jupiter-1/EchoStar 17 satellite impounded and have all production cost to Space Systems/Loral forfeited.

The ViaSat-1 satellite has a finite capacity to transfer data and no possible means of being improved.   Viasat-1 is 22,300 miles away and is absolutely un-serviceable to make any changes despite new developments in technology.  It is what it is and always will be.

When new technology makes higher throughput capacities possible, a new satellite must be launched  equipped with those new capabilities.  Sometime in 2017 ViaSat will have the Viasat-2 satellite launched to greatly enhance the exede system.

Staying here with what is available today (ViaSat-1), exede cannot force more data through that satellite than what it is capable of delivering.  The design limits have been reached on most spot beams.  Earth-bound systems can upgrade their systems as easily as adding another fiber line or take advantage of new technologies that come along to pack more data on existing fiber lines such as modulating the various light frequencies in the spectrum to put more than 20 times the data through a single fiber as would be possible using just white light.  A satellite link is not fiber, obviously,  and the spectrum used is not sub-dividable so it is fixed and limited. THIS limits the available bandwidth and determines it's cost, not the price of internet data blocks.

Data restrictions at exede are in place to give all subscribers a fair, and therefore, measured,  quantity of data to use with a monthly reset.  exede has several different reset days during the month to mitigate congestion problems that would be apparent if all subscribers reset on the same day of each month.

A free source does not equate to free delivery.

Disclaimer:
I am not a "Champion" nor am I employed or compensated in any way by ViaSat/exede.  I have my own issues with ViaSat/exede and I have presented my concerns to ViaSat/exede and now await their reply.

Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes
Both satellites are built on the SSL LS1300 platform.
That is a modular system with a wide range of bells and whistles that can used to fit the bird to the mission.
As long a company has the money and a launch vehicle that can carry the weight they are good to go. I've read that Hughes switched to the Atlas rocket because ES19 came in heavier than expected and the Atlas had the power to lift the oversize load higher which leaves more manuvering fuel left.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
Atlas???   Never give a boy a man's job.
http://www.arianespace.com/vehicle/ariane-5/
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
Atlas???   Never give a boy a man's job.
http://www.arianespace.com/vehicle/ariane-5/
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
I show a double-post.   I didn't do that.   ;o(
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Unlimited unmetered broadband is available in municipalities with foresight and vision like Ashland, Oregon and elsewhere. The question is, does satelite metering done to discourage "bandwidth hogs" or simply a way to gouge customers. Wouldn't doubling the charge be enough to discourage abuses? 10X is extreme reminiscent of Epipen, except no lives are at risk.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
Unlimited unmetered broadband is available in municipalities with foresight and vision like Ashland, Oregon and elsewhere.
Gee... let's see here... YUP, there it is...   Silly ViaSat only had to borrow 3 trillion dollars to put their forsight and vision up in space and instead only put 600 million on their Visa® card.  How dumb of them.  They should have mortgaged the farm just to make you happy.

Wouldn't doubling the charge be enough to discourage abuses?
Ummm....  no.  Only very wealthy people could subscribe and if they had that kind of money they'd just have a fiber line built no matter the distance or cost.   Poor ViaSat wouldn't  be able to make their card payments and would go broke owing millions.  exede depends on us "common folk" to make ends meet.

10X is extreme reminiscent of Epipen, except no lives are at risk.
10X what? exede charges a flat fee for more data.  They exercise blind justice, nobody is better or worse because of who they are or what they can buy. (or, your shiny car has the same speed limit as my junker on the highway)

Get over it or move to Ashland.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
If I am a pig then you are a troll. Why do you think you have a dog in this fight?

"Ummm.... no. Only very wealthy people could subscribe and if they had that kind of money they'd just have a fiber line built no matter the distance or cost. Poor ViaSat wouldn't be able to make their card payments and would go broke owing millions. exede depends on us "common folk" to make ends meet."

Not for you, but others reading this thread: Freedom costs $109.98 so that works out to 73¢ per gig inititially. Then they throttle it and charge 9.99/GB that is a 1368% increase (not a math major).

What I meant, by doubling the price was when they throttle it would be roughly $1.46 per GB instead of $9.99. You dweebish "common folk" troll with 6000 acres of land.
(Edited)
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 398 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
David, everyone recognizes that satellite internet is intended for those of us that live in remote areas where land-line services are not available or extremely slow.  Many of those internet providers that once offered "unlimited" bandwidth are now removing those offers and either severely restricting or charging a lot more $$'s for their customers that exceed certain limits...like I said, the demand for bandwidth is growing faster that bandwidth availability for those reasons listed above...fairness is not the name of the game, bandwidth preservation is.....

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1247 Reply Likes
Those situations should not be happening. Most cases it was a DirecTV bundle that shouldn't have happened and we willingly worked with people in those cases. 
Photo of John Schneider

John Schneider

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay. Can Exede help me with my exit plan ? I know I will have to pay. Maybe Exede can make it less painful.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1247 Reply Likes
I can certainly look over it for you if you email us at exedelistens@viasat.com
Photo of John Schneider

John Schneider

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I will do that. I appreciate your response. I am warning people about this agent selling this service in Yelp and have filed a report with our BBS. I plan on terminating service December 5th. It a shame. I don't need high speed. I am not a power user. I like the idea of Exede. But, when I have guest over for a week and they lean on the internet, and use my priority data, then ask mw whats wrong with my internet. Well. Gotta go.
Photo of John Schneider

John Schneider

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Exede was totally misrepresented to me. I should have done my research first. Exede agent was slick. He got me !
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
Wm4bama is correct about the demand is outpacing the availability at least for right now for all satellite internet. We are certainly wanting ViaSat 2 launched and ready sooner than later because that will double all the bandwidth we have now and ViaSat 3 is shortly after but unfortunately that all will take some time to get the satellite launched and operational afterwards but we're more than excited for 2017 to finally offer options from ViaSat 2 that will please heavier internet users and  streamers.  Fortunately you're on our most generous plan right now as far as the data you can get. Additional data being at 9.99/1GB is pricey but it's not unheard of when it comes to buying extra data (see also: other satellite internet providers, cell phone data plans, overage charges ect). 

As for the unlimited options, those aren't companies we're actively competing with. We offer limited data plans due to our limited bandwidth. Unlike those providers it's not easy or cheap to expand like they can. They can build the network out, we have to use a space agency to get a satellite to expand. So this is why we market to those rural areas where DSL or Cable is unavailable. Their loss is our gain, they refuse to go to smaller towns and rural areas as they won't see a return on revenue, but for us we can point a dish and give them internet!

Like Wm4bama said, even those companies are taking a step back from releasing the floodgate and are now imposing limits. I think over the last 5-6 years the internet changed drastically and streaming became a lot more common and has changed how most see and use the internet. We were a bit delayed in catching up (we have a long story about how original plans to launch this past summer were delayed by SpaceX's rocket exploding and setting plans back)  but we have some pretty amazing stuff planned that we're eager to announce soon with the launch of ViaSat 2
(Edited)
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
So, why offer $9.99/GB it at all?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
Hey...  You're on to sumptin here...  exede should just cut our connection dead when we reach our data limit.  If someone wants more they can go to a phone booth and order up another month of data and be on their way, even if it's the last day of the month with no rollover credits.  Sheer genius, you're the man.  Why didn't I think of that?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
For lower plans like 10GB , a bunch of users may need that extra data/speed on occasion like if they have houseguests or something. It's something we had carry over from when we had a hard-set data cap and even though Liberty is more widely available it's still something a lot of customers still use
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1924 Reply Likes
It is very hard for me, and many of the Exede subscribers, to be sympathetic to you, David. You are very fortunate to be able to get the Freedom plan. It is available in only a very few of the beams. I have to survive with only 10 GB per month, and have no complaints with that, although it would be wonderful to be able to get data limits high enough to be able to stream video or movies. You used your 150 GB in less than the month, that is an enormous amount of data for anyone, even small families. If you still need more data, then you will have to pay the $9.99/GB, as we all must if we run over. Be very thankful that you have 150 GB a month available to you.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I am sorry about your circumstances but we live less than 4 miles from unmetered broadband cable availability and six miles from city limits of the third largest city in the state.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes

In the book "Animal Farm" you would be a pig.

I live in the mountains above Santa Clara County, California.  We raise cattle here on our 6,900 acres.  I look down and see the lights of San Jose at night.  I could put in a Ubiquity Networks airFiber®5 system and get Gigabit internet here for $2,000 or for $60.00 each, a pair of NanoBridge M5's and get 150Mb/sec.  plus subscription.  exede has been a novelty for me and I'm going to finish out my contract, then I'm visiting ubiquity down there in San Jose and upgrade all the way around.  If you simply can't stand exede perhaps you should consider installing a PtP link system to that city 4 miles away and get the internet you want.

edit: Ubiquity deserves a link.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2379 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
$10/GB is one of the CHEAPEST rates you will find from anyone.  Verizon charges $15.
Photo of Tom F

Tom F

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Try TPO.com
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2379 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
TPO also slows you down...."Users with usage >50GB/mo will notice reduced speeds to 2G until next bill cycle. 2G speeds allow for browsing basic web pages, reading e-mails"
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
Then try MetroPCS.  they give 8GB/mo (to tether to another device) and when you go over they slow you down to their "Network average" speed.  More GB are $5.00/ea. I've go over and speed goes from 50Mb/sec to about 8-10 Mb/sec when tethered.  My phone itself is on a grandfathered plan at $50/mo. and it's all unlimited except tethering but I can download tons of data into the phone's SD card unlimited.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
It would be a very nice gesture of goodwill to give the last couple of days of the billing period to compensate for the times people don't reach their data cap.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
To all the responders that aren't actually Exede employees catfishing, any improvements that might be made by me complaining about the Freedom plan "trickle down" to other plans. But I guess y'all would rather complain about a fellow user than the actual problems you are having with the service. Happy Holidays!
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
Any exede employee is very welcome to come to any one of my lakes or ponds and go catfishing anytime.  Really, you have my exede voice number there on file, or ask Alex.  I have an extra cabin you can stay in while you're here  (3 dbrm, bring the family).  Let me know when you're coming and I'll pick you up at SJ Intl airport.   Bring beer.

Where was I?  Oh yea, back to David...

Your improvements because... you complained?  WoW!   That's one for the books.
Most people's "problems" with exede are because of their web habits or system configurations need to change.

Yea, we would rather complain about you, because it is so easy.
hey, do you do crank? or are you just a natural-born liberal?

I think the mods are going to delete this entire thread, but some people will see it before 8am in Colorado.   Hi Brad, Hi Diana, Hi Kimberly, Hi Alex, Hi Karmin (you're new here aren't you?)   Craig says Hello and I'm still waiting on that email from you Diana.
(Edited)
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
No, not a natural-born liberal but I did grow a heart over the years. And no on the crank or whatever drugs you took along with the combination of Russian disinformation and fake news you were taken in by to dupe you into voting for that psychopath ready to put his finger on the trigger of our nukes, most likely get us in a war and ruin the environment. Say goodbye to all the pollinating insects ash whole.
(Edited)
Photo of Ben Shader

Ben Shader

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
glad to see i am not the only unsatisfied customer of exede. I have the exact problem. You guys do not need to charge 10 bucks per over gig. It's that simple.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
So is that why they advertise "no data caps"?
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 398 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
David, technically all Exede plans have "No data caps"...you may not like the speeds you get after going over you plans limit but you can continue to use your internet...and if you have a plan that includes the late night free zone (LNFZ) you can use the internet at full speed and no caps.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1247 Reply Likes
This is the correct answer. 
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 72 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
No, I don't think the Freedom plan includes LNFZ or your plan descriptions need to be updated.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1247 Reply Likes
The Freedom plan does not. Since it's such a large priority data plan compared to the rest of our plans a LNFZ is not offered as it is not needed as most users with this plan will not reach that limit. If you do your speeds are reduced and the buy more option is offered as well. All the FAQs you may want on the Freedom plan can be found here http://www.exede.com/freedom/
Photo of Ben Shader

Ben Shader

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
David, I can recommend a better solution. Go to ebay, buy a grandfathered data plan, and move to verizon cell phone at 4g. Get a dedicated cell phone to be your router and you will get better speeds than exede can ever offer. I also paid 300 bucks for a Wilson home antenna which amplifies the out door cell signal into my home for 4-5 bars. I would offer any additional info, reach me at benaynay@earthlink.net Screw exede, they don't give a rats ass about us brother. This option will start paying for itself after about 6 months to a year of use and you will never have to deal with exede raping you on overage charges, or slowing your net speeds down to useless again! As soon as I purchase a 2nd grandfathered plan for my girlfriend and her daughter, I am never going back to exede, EVER! 
Photo of Ben Shader

Ben Shader

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

this is a test i ran right now in a rain storm! Good enough for gaming & live broadcasting to youtube simultaneously and you cant even game on an exede connection. In addition, the download can go up to 12 or 13 mgs on a clear day. It is very reliable and I use it all day long! If you have a good cell phone signal outside your home, you can do the same thing and never pay another overage charge.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

"I just love the word-smithing between "data caps" and "throttling""

Those two terms are not hardly the same thing.

A "data cap" defines the upper limit of the block of data that you contracted for.

"Throttling" describes what happens to your speeds when you exceed that cap.

No wonder you had issues.

As to going with Verizon or any cellular/WISP/DSL/Cable/FIOS options .....Not all of us have that option.

Satellite Internet is a connection type of last resort. No one that performed even the quickest of searches would go with satellite if another choice is available.

If satellite is all there is then you need to learn how to get the most out of it. I have had sat internet for over 12 years and have never ran out of data .... never.

I did have to learn how my computer operates, how my ISP operates and what tools I have available to me to track and control my usage ... but, I have never ran out of data.

Photo of Ben Shader

Ben Shader

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
"No one that performed even the quickest of searches would go with satellite if another choice is available." Yep. Maybe if you actually used the internet to it's full potential, you'd have a clue. I live stream daily, video game daily, watch youtube videos daily, i tweet, i facebook, I email and so much more. I got my new UNLIMITED plan from Verizon on it's way. (200 bucks and 140 monthly NO CAPS NO THROTTLING) I will be disconnecting the exede as soon as I do. Have fun with your lies and definitions losers. Loved your condescending tone, how completely ironic of you.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes
Well good for you Snowflake.
Photo of Ben Shader

Ben Shader

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
#Winning!
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes
Time to head for your "safe place" Ben.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2379 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
"Verizon to disconnect unlimited data customers who use over 100GB/month Customers using more than 100GB must move to limited data plans by August 31."    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/07/verizon-to-disconnect-unlimited-data-customers...
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2379 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
This Ebay thing is a total scam.  It's called an "assumption of liability" and you are paying the scammer who sold you his "share" of the data. Ben stated above, " I got my new UNLIMITED plan from Verizon on it's way."  He doesn't even have it yet!  Do not believe what he is feeding you, this is a scam.  Would you buy your internet service on Ebay???
(Edited)
Photo of Ben Shader

Ben Shader

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
guess you missed all the "UNLIMITED" remarks from my bill above? lol read much?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1924 Reply Likes
Over he past year or so there have been a few others who touted this same claim. A couple of them came back a little while after they received their magic box, worked great, but then they would send their monthly payment for their data, only to find that the scammer they bought the thing from had sold their plan to another. Great way to make money of those who are looking for a free lunch. Then there is the chance that Verizon comes after you for having a pirated modem.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, but there will always be scammers, and those who get scammed.
Photo of Ben Shader

Ben Shader

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
had my magic box for 5 years now. hmm.
Photo of Ben Shader

Ben Shader

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

lol i just showed you morons my data usage from my ORIGINAL Verizon UNLIMITED plan that I have been using for about 5 years or so. The 2nd UNLIMITED plan is for my girlfriend and her 20 year old daughter. Free lunch? Yep! Keep drinking the exede cool aid fools. They have made fantastic liars out of all of you. There is no scam, Verizon wrote the rules when they made the original contracts, but I wouldn't expect a bunch of recluses to get it any how. Keep your heads in the sand and as I can see, from the multitude of posts you all put up in here, you have no lives to boot. LOL! In addition, many of you do not use the internet to it's full potential and never need more data. Playing video games, live streaming and watching youtube videos adds up quickly and I am not willing to give any of that up quite yet. You guys can try to squirm around the facts all day, but I am sitting here on an UNLIMITED connection and using about 60 gigs monthly with no overage charges and a connection that is about 5 times more reliable than exede provides. Rain can slow me down a little, but it does the same to your dishes as well. If any of you actually needed the bandwidth I need, I could see your interest in this thread. But yall are just a bunch of bored old men with nothing better to do than try to convince yourselves you are right about getting screwed by a corporation. Let me know if you ever have to pay 10 bucks for an extra gigabyte of data that they usually charge you at .22 cents.

P.S. That shot above was taken during a heavy rain. ;) 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2379 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
His "UNLIMITED PLAN" is 60 gigs a month.  WOW, your really taking advantage of Verizon!    I get more than twice that data and twice that speed with Exede.  Looks like Satellite internet has you beat all around.
Photo of Mathew Smith

Mathew Smith

• 11 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Ben, not sure why you're wasting time posting here.

But I have to tell you, your speed results look really pathetic.  You're probably paying way too much for that. Here's what I get in a full-on blizzard:

That's with my FIOS Quantum, and it's also unlimited.

That's at my main house -- where I have a choice of Internet providers.  At my cabin, my only option is satellite Internet.  That's where I have Exede, and I'm very happy that I can get serviceable Internet at a remote location where there are no other options.  I have no complaints about Exede and understand the constraints of satellite Internet technology.  (I even had to cut down a few trees to get line of sight.)  I can't do everything at the cabin that I can do at my house, and that's OK.

Most customers with Exede don't have a Verizon hotspot as an option.  So you can tout your performance and violation of Verizon's service agreement all you want, but it's not relevant to this community anymore than me pointing out that my FIOS Quantum performance trounces yours.  Find something better to do with your time.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Is that normally the kind of speeds you'd expect to get with FIOS?  Our oldest daughter recently bought a house and there is FIOS available to her there once she gets around to hooking up.  We have never had anything available except the older dial up of course, then satellite and wisp so those kinds of speeds are hard for me to comprehend.  ;)    I told her that once we move back up to that area we'll come to her house to stream the Jacks games we want to see though that works really well on our WISP provider at about 5 mbps ...probably not HD though.
Photo of Ben Shader

Ben Shader

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
lol I do not have cable as an option so no fios. You comparing your FIOS to my WIFI 4G is like me comparing my superior brain to your pathetic excuse of a brain. You had so many questions for me yet all of them were answered in my comments above proving you really do not grasp simple concepts, like reading before you open your trap. If 4G is better for me than exede which it is, and it helps in my particular situation, i'm sure some others out there could also benefit from my information, but thanks for your concern of my well being. I can assure you it's quite misplaced.
Photo of Mathew Smith

Mathew Smith

• 11 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Ben: Me comparing my FIOS to your WIFI 4G is like you comparing your WIFI 4G to Exede.  That was the point, but I guess that escaped you.  If you have 4G as an option, yay!  Take it.  That's better than Exede.  Stop wasting time on an Exede message forum when you aren't even a customer criticizing people who only have Exede as an option.  Seriously, why are you even here?  That's... sad.

Jacqueline: I get those speeds with a higher tier of FIOS Quantum.  Their packages (and pricing) may vary by region, but the base package won't have speeds that high.  They have some higher-end packages that offer even better speeds.  But the base package will still have very, very good upload and download speeds, with low latency.  Getting FIOS installed can be a bit of an adventure (although I think they've streamlined the process now), but I think your daughter would be very happy with FIOS.  I've had it since it launched and been quite happy.  Going from my house to the cabin (where I have to think about bandwidth and monthly quotas) is a context switch, but again, I'm happy to have Exede as an option at the cabin because it sure as heck beats dialup and for day-to-day web surfing, e-mail, and occasional video streaming, it's more than acceptable.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
Alright this thread has had its day guys  and this has went from questions about buy more data (valid question which led to debate...completely fine) to a bunch of personal attacks between various members of this forum (not fine) to "humblebragging" about a cable connection (unnecessary ). So I'm closing it from further comments and removing comments as needed. As always if you want to start a new topic or discussion please create one and if you have concerns, questions or just want to know more about something with Exede you can email us at anytime at exedelistens@viasat.com Lindsey, Diana or myself will answer you.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.