Freedom 150gb Plan Question

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
Question to the community on the subject of the now old 150gb Freedom Plans.

In addition to trying to resolve an intermittent modem reset issue, that has been ongoing since mid August of this year.

I notice that most every phone rep who notices we are still on the old plan, does their darnedest to get us to switch.  I also find it Ironic on our login page for the account it still says "150gb of full speed internet!"  lies lies lies of course since they changed the policy to mean we are basically always subject to some form of throttling now no matter if we are under our 150gb monthly cap.

Anyways, my question is, if Via-sat wants us to change our plan so badly, why don't they just cancel our plan from under us?  Is there some legal thing keeping them from canceling our service outright? It's their service can't they just tell us, "Sorry folks, change your plan or we wont serve you anymore".  I'm curious, does anyone know why they don't just do this?
Photo of Charlie Wright

Charlie Wright

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1234 Posts
  • 768 Reply Likes
I think it is the old adage if you like your plan you can keep your plan. Of course they can change the terms and conditions of the plan anytime they want, as you have seen.

Viasat plans have been smoke and mirrors since Exedes inception. No free zone, 5 hour free zone, later 5 hour free zone, shorter free zone etc.

In the end they are just tweaking plans to get more money out of the consumer.

Stick with the Freedom plan or dump Viasat. Definitely dont change plans with them, that is what they want :).
Photo of Charlie Wright

Charlie Wright

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, it's still profitable for us to keep the 150gb plan, it slows down during peak times of internet use, but comes back up to usable shortly thereafter.   I find it sort of funny not funny, they are trying to tie in modem reset problem as due to our plan. They keep referencing, "Didn't you get the notice in December that said your plan would experience slow speed?"  I said, uh yeah... slow spreed not this repeating reset issue with the modem.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1043 Posts
  • 633 Reply Likes
Yea.  I guess it depends where you live (i.e. what beam you are on).  My Freedom plan was slowing down to unbearable speeds during prime time (200kbps or lower sometime).  The internet when I needed to use it the most was worthless to me, so therefore I had no use for Viasat.  I dumped my Freedom plan (and their service).  I am getting along fine without it.  Not as good as having reliable wired internet, but overall it is better and cheaper than what Viasat could deliver.

Best of luck to you with the Freedom plan.  I think it will only get worse for you going forward. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2789 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
Sounds like Liberty 12 and Freedom 150 are basically the same plan now.  Well, with the exception of Freedom 150 coming to an absolute crawl once you've used 150 GB of data. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1229 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
And not having a free zone to get truly "unlimited" data during that time.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 372 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
I had the 150 Silver 25 plan and as you know, we were all throttled etc., I wrote a nice email to Execde listens, to no avail, basically terminate or change plans.  I adjusted, survived Viasat's  ratcheting down.  I felt I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of me knuckling under, and changing plans, because I had no confidence in them giving me what ever plan I would pay for, ie pay more for less and still get screwed.

So I stuck it out, but i knew within 6 months i would have rural FIOS.

Before it got really bad, I was pissed, so I set up to record my Direct TV, the entire Sopranos and Curb your Enthusiasm series, of course 5 or 6 episodes a day.

While i was conservative before they screwed us, I decided they fired the first shot, so EF them.

I recorded good quality, probably 720, looked HD and probably took a month or so, but at this point I felt i'll just use all the data I can.  Naturally i like both shows and am still working my way thru watching them.

I've had rural FIOS since the 3rd week of June, signed up for the 100 dollar plan 100 Mbps, no data limits etc.  There is no congestion, no weather issues, no gate issues or whatever other excuse they put forward, (some like weather are real satellite issues).  Being a prior sat customer I still check my speeds now and then, two weeks ago my speeds increased to 250 Mbps up and down.  I thought it might be a glitch and maybe it is, but for the last two weeks the speeds have been the same.

Another thing if your county, hopefully goes that way, you'll most likely see a different type of customer service: when I called in after getting FIOS and told them how great it was, the lady with the sweet southern drawl, who is located in my power company office about 15 miles down the road,  said, if you ever have any problem or concern with your service, just call me and here is my extension.  I told her thank you and I will try not to bother you, she said sugar put my number on your refrigerator and call me anytime, that's what we are here for.

I love my power and fios company and living in the country.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
"While i was conservative before they screwed us, I decided they fired the first shot, so EF them."

Ahhmmm, you didn't 'screw' Viasat - you 'screwed' the other people on your beam.
What a guy...
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2789 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
In a sense, the bandwidth is there.  Viasat chooses to simply give residential customers a smaller bucket to share than their commercial and military customers.  That is business, plane and simple.  

What isn't fair is Viasat took away from our already small bucket and made it even smaller. 

Chocolate rations have been increased to 25 grams a week!
(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 372 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
Not really Bob,  your logic and probably your motivation for your comment is off, for all the time I had the Silver 150 plan i never used more than 93 Gig in a month.

I think that began before the Holidays in 2018, so lets just say I paid for 150 from December 2018 until June 2019. And that was because I did my job on the internet and while it could be frustrating I coped and got the job done.  I am a big believer in Waste not Want not etc., but I still paid my money for my plan so I was entitled to my 150 but really didn't need that much, but signed up for it because i didn't like having to micro manage the data.

I wrote to Viasat Listens, and explained that most of my students were military and I made myself available 24/7 and would appreciate reasonable speeds at least during the day. They wrote back basically take it or leave, that pissed me off.

You know Bob I did care about my beam mates, I didn't even attempt to get on line after 5 PM, I used my telephone and texted my students, this was an effort to lessen my and my students frustration with a sorry ISP and the congestion for those beam mates that had no other option.

Now Bob I don't know anything about you, nor do i care to know, but in America when you pay for something your entitled to get that for which you have paid.  Now for all the months I never came close to using my share of data I decided since Viasat is such a caring ISP I would at least take my fair share at the end. (which i still fell short of), but I did get two entire series of shows i liked but had missed many of the episodes.

Oh, and Bob when I got hooked up to FIOS the last week in June, I disconnected all of my Viasat equipment I set up my home WIFI etc. to the FIOS ISP, so i only used 3 weeks of my Viasat the last month there by moving on and freeing up more bandwidth for my beam mates.

So Bob I didn't screw anybody, you pay for 150 you are entitled to get 150. (alas i never did)

And most people know I am considerate and a good guy so take your half baked assumptions elsewhere.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1234 Posts
  • 768 Reply Likes
Bob hadls to express a concern because his livelihood, in part, depends on Viasat. And Viasat is under siege from a number of sides. As fiber expands, low earth satellites come online, and Viasat's customer service continues to come across as less than satisfactory, would you want a revenue stream dependant on this company?
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 45 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
You could go with a Business Plan, but of course Viasat can alter that plan at anytime as well. So basically you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1234 Posts
  • 768 Reply Likes
It's a trap!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but rather something I noticed...

I usually miss something like that.  
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 102 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I've got the business 35 plan and from the way most people share the experience that they receive on residential it is better. I unfortunately don't have anyone in my area that has the residential so I cant compare it to that. I pushed it over last month 150 gigs and it still functioned pretty well on the weeknights until Friday night which then it tanked. I'm guessing business backups started taking place. I'm down to 3 gigs left of priority data this month and a week to go. So I will see how it does.  

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 317 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
I say we attach a microwave oven with the door open on the TRIA location of the dish visat leaves with us. Make some freedoms fries.