Freedom 150 Plan

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
The Freedom 150 plan became available in our area eight months ago. When the new satellite becomes active, will our speed increase or will that only be for new accounts?
Photo of Michele

Michele

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of mferner

mferner

• 194 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Yes Speeds should increase for everyone
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 462 Posts
  • 338 Reply Likes
When the new sat goes online we will start installing all new customers on that new sat. This will take pressure off the current sat. As the load gets reduced off the current satellite it will allow the NOC to make a lot of changes which will greatly improve everyone's service.
I really had to struggle here to make sure I didn't say anything that would cause my post to be deleted. Being on the Dealer Council we are privy to some information that we simply aren't allowed to talk about. But rest assured, the service is ONLY going to get better.

Andy
Photo of Jay Batten

Jay Batten

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Putting new customers on the new sat is not taking load off the one I'm on it's only keeping it from getting worse. They need to move a lot off the current one to speed up the service. I just changed to the freedom 150 with 25mb speed and my current speed is 2.11. Sounds to me like the new customers will get better service than the old loyal group. Just my observation.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2477 Posts
  • 1352 Reply Likes
It won't only be new customers. Depending on location, existing customers will have more plan offerings that will only be available on the new satellite. For example, some existing customers are on augmented beams that can only get 5Mps because Viasat-1 didn't cover their area. That wont be the case with Viasat-2 as it has a much larger coverage area. So if you are an existing Exede customer not even on Viasat-1, it would definitely be an advantage to upgrade to a new plan offered on the new satellite.
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 462 Posts
  • 338 Reply Likes
Jay, I can't go into the details but at our last meeting this issue was discussed. The plan that they talked about WILL take a lot of load off the current sat. The plan addressed everything so well that I didn't even have a follow up question which is ASTOUNDING for anyone who knows ME.....lol

Andy
Photo of Jay Batten

Jay Batten

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks Andy. I still think Excede should not advertise double what my old plan speed was when they can't deliver. I had the old 12mb and 25 gig data. with free zone. 12 to 5am. I'll be a little more patient and hope it greatly improves but for now I'm not happy. Thanks everyone. On the lighter side I did get much more data for less money a month.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 462 Posts
  • 338 Reply Likes
You can expect the "more data, less money" to be a continuing trend.

Andy
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2884 Posts
  • 962 Reply Likes
Yep Andy is correct. You may not even have to go to the new satellite to take advantage of the new offerings
Photo of Michele

Michele

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks all!
Photo of Bob Jump

Bob Jump

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've been hearing about this "new satellite" for months. I'd suggest contacting Kim-Jung-Un to get it off the ground. Because the Exede satellite I'm on sucks. You can only tout this thing for so long before you have to deliver. 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3000 Posts
  • 1246 Reply Likes
Bob, Viasat 2 was launched in June, it is almost into its final orbit now, then testing and, online early next year.

If you recall, there was a delay in the launch because of the rocket blow up SpaceX had and, Viasat had to find someone else to launch the new satellite.
Photo of Bob Jump

Bob Jump

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Bev, I get it. But Viasat is worsening the situation by cramming more customers into woefully inadequate bandwidth in the meantime. SpaceX didn't make that decision. There's no denying that service/performance has fallen off a cliff.
Photo of Tim

Tim

• 23 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have to agree with Bob. Why add more customers to an already overly capacitated system, only to cause frustration to the many loyal customers who have been experiencing the negative effects of limited bandwidth, primarily during prime time viewing. Last night my speed went below 3 mbs and it was the first day of the new cycle in which I am supposed to be seeing speeds up to 25 mbs.
Again, Exede stop the insanity and quit adding customers to a system that cannot meet what customers are paying for!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2882 Posts
  • 962 Reply Likes
Oh I wouldn't worry too much there. We got it up there just fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy_lrhoyxtc

We are working to better manage what's going on now until we are able to let people on the new satellite early next year (it takes months to get in place followed by testing) but the plan would be all the new people will be on the new dish and some of our heavier used beams will likely be put on a migration to get put on ViaSat 2. Once we have that room we can see a major relief on congestion in areas and more exciting plans be offered.

Just a few months away from it