Freedom 150 Modem Questions

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I would like to order the Freedom 150 plan by end of tomorrow.  There is an option for "Boost 25 with WiFi modem".  From reading through the forums the modem cannot be bridged.  I employ a managed network in my home and use a commercial router and due to the home size need to have many access points, which in turn are controlled via a Ruckus zone director.

I know I can emply workarounds but would prefer not to have two routers on the network, nor discover other idiosyrancies after the fact.

3 questions:

1. Can I order Freedom 150 with a regular modem (NO routing and NO wifi)?

2. If I can order it with a regular modem, do I lose the ability to get "boost 25"?

3. Does anyone know who manufactures the exede modem so I can find a real manual for it?

All responses will be much appreciated.  Thanks
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
David, you would be best to email exedelistens@viasat.com or call 855-463-9333 and speak to a representative. They will be able to answer your questions.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
Hey David,

You're correct, the modem cannot be put in bridge mode.

Any plan with the speedboost option required the wireless modem.

Only the 12Mbps plans offer the wired modem.

I'm not sure who makes the modems, I'll see if I can find some info for you!
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thanks Matt.  That being the case, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to make everything work the way I want just by putting my router on a different subnet, and connecting everything on my network through that.  If for some reason there are issues, will I be able to downgrade my plan to the regular Freedom 150 plan with wired modem?
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
A word of caution David. The "router"  is not a router like you are used to. It is more like a two network gateway where the wired net and the wireless net are unreachable to each other even if the IP addresses are compatible. If It was me, I would start with the 12 Mbps and live with it until Viasat 2 is put into service then upgrade. Right now your speed is dependent on the the traffic on your beam. Some beams are more congested than others so the speed may vary more. Viasat 2 will alleviate that problem with higher bandwidth and more available gateways.
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thanks Grumpyoldman, but are you sure that's not due to how you've got something set up with port forwarding or the firewall between your (I assume multiple) routers?  I've seen situations before where if you're employing different subnets you can't get from subnet 1 to subnet 2 over wireless, but it's always been solveable.  is the issue that you can't use wireless on the Exede to access equipment connected to your wired router?

I don't intend to use the wireless on the exede device at all, I'll run everything over my own router, switches and access points and will use the exede to get out to the Internet.  Hopefully it will work OK, I guess I'll find out soon enough...

They've sold this thing for a year and can't be bothered to post a real manual online for it.  If I knew who the OEM was I could determine pretty quickly what's possible.  If they even had a manual where you could see the menus it could be figured out who is actually making it, it's probably sold under other names, with this model being customized a little for Exede.
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Well the only thing I can say is it is working fine on the netgear router I have behind it. I "bridged" by port forwarding all ports to the netgear router ip address. There are no useful manuals to my knowledge. But if you can find a way to do it with the exede router let me know.(I'm not proud). Every wireless router I've ever used  any input can be set to see every other input using the router as the LAN  DHCP server. This is a very basic set up managed by the router. But since the media server is on the wired network, it must be able to stream to remote wireless devices.
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thanks for your input.  I'll post here once it's set up and report back.
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
FWIW I just wanted to get this quickly working without any messing around so what I did when it was installed yesterday was connect a single port from the Exede wifi router to a single port on an old Netgear layer 2 switch.  Everything is then connected through the Netgear ethernet switch - Ruckus zone director and access points, a couple of ReadyNAS storage units etc.

Then I just connect through the Ruckus access points to get to anything on the network.  I realize this has nothing to do with your setup, I'm just reporting what I've done so far.

In the setup I am reporting, are you saying I would not be able to access anything by using wifi connected through the exede router?
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2233 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
Hi David,  That plan may no longer be available  once you upgrade.  Please send your account information to exedelistens@viasat.com and so we can to check it out.
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Diana, as I indicated, I don't have an account, I'm about to order one.  I'm simply asking if I order, and for some unexpected reason discover that the wireless modem will not allow me to do what I want to do with my network, which is someone complex by typical residential standards, will I be able to downgrade to the wired modem with 12K speeds?

Thanks
(Edited)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
David,

No, once you have the speedboost modem, downgrading is not possible at this time.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2203 Posts
  • 1909 Reply Likes
And David, the 150mbs plan is very limited and if you wait to long it will be gone.
This has happened to people before so don't dilly dally!

Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thanks Jim!  I actually ordered it today.  Install on Monday.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
David, since a downgrade may not be possible, Email them first, or order the standard and see if it meets your needs, then talk with other customers and, Viasat and see if the WiFi with speed boost modem can do what you want before upgrading.