Freedom 150 GB plan have the same speed as Unlimited Silver 25?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
I have the Freedom 150 GB - Boost 25 + WiFi. Is the Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps plan going to provide me the same speed?
Photo of Jean Nistler

Jean Nistler

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2575 Posts
  • 1586 Reply Likes
Yes, but any streaming of videos will be at the standard definition of 480, which is saving you data, but has been causing some subscribers problems with some services, such as Amazon, Netflix, etc, mostly a lot of buffering.  Unless you are going over your 150 GB per month, you may wish to stay with the Freedom plan. With Freedom, you can always turn on  the Video Extender to reduce the video resolution to 480p, and save your data while watching movies and TV programs.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2154 Posts
  • 384 Reply Likes
Hi Jean,  Yes, as Steve said, you should get the same speeds.  If you have any additional questions, please send an email to exedelisten@viasat.com with your account information.
Photo of Cindy Berryman King Orloff

Cindy Berryman King Orloff

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I switched my freedom plan to the unlimited silver plan 25 and I notice with speed tests I don't get anywhere near what I use to with the freedom boost plan I had. Wish I wouldn't have changed to the silver!!!! not too happy now!!!!!!!!
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 79 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
The amount of data your allotted per month has nothing to do with your network speed.  Your UL/DL speed's are determined more by network congestion and priority on your gateway than anything else.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1868 Posts
  • 862 Reply Likes
"I switched my freedom plan to the unlimited silver plan 25 and I notice with speed tests I don't get anywhere near what I use to with the freedom boost plan I had."

There is a very simple reason why your speeds were reduced when you switched to unlimited silver.  Here it is... Drum roll please...

Congestion is worse now that unlimited plans are available.

When Viasat/Exede started offering unlimited plans, a ton of people who were on older plans switched over to unlimited.  This means, all of a sudden, you have more people on each beam, using more bandwidth than ever before.  It happened almost overnight.

So instead of X number of people using 25 GB of data a month, you now have X number of users using 150GB+ of data a month.  More data being used at once means slower speeds for everyone.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but this is probably 99% of the reason people are seeing slower speeds now that unlimited is available.

Fortunately Viasat 2 is just around the corner and that will fix a lot of the congestion issues.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2523 Posts
  • 1382 Reply Likes
I agree with that Stephen, even if you or I are not rocket scientist. It us just simple math. While you could have 15 customers limited to 10GB/month, now ONE customer could be burning through 150GB, and then there isn't even a hard cap!