freedom 150 66GB available only at 0.84Mps is this fair for 111.00 per month ?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
How bad can this get I can't even stream Amazon HD Music now it skips. Been customer for years but looking elsewhere 111 per month for dial up performance in 2020. They don't want anyone with 150GB anymore and now have the ability to throttle us any time. Like i said I have 66GB left with 8 days but couldn't use it at these rates. Since it's a 10th of the service shouldn't the price be discounted 90%
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Good luck with that!
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
tried to download a trial from ableton it's saying 3 hours for 1.8GB at 100-115kbps
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 329 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
tried to update my iphone said 4 GB was going to be 23 hours 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
Well, I’d say it is fair as you are paying twice as much a me, but getting 4 times as much speed.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
You were fortunate the Freedom party lasted as long as it did for you. That plan changed in January 2019 for everyone where you could be de-prioritized at any time due to congestion regardless of how much data you may have used. Some were hit by the change almost immediately. Appears you were on a a lightly used spot beam and it only took a pandemic to produce congestion on your beam with everybody working at home and trying to get school work done at home. 
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
I remember when I got slowed using 2.6GB on my Freedom Plan. And it didn't even take a pandemic!
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 417 Posts
  • 182 Reply Likes
I too was on the 150 plan, kept a low profile, was only averaging about 60 Gig a month, was getting about 20 Mbps during the afternoon , then V stepped on all with the 150 plan. I was lucky to get 1.5 Mbps during the day, I didn’t even go on line after 5 pm.

I did email v listens, was told in no uncertain terms, change your plan, less data for more money, if you want relief. I said no thanks because I didn’t believe them, crept
along for a couple of months, and then the county provided FIOS.

No pandemic, just V shutting down our speed and not honoring their contact. And the median speed of up to 25 became .75 Mbps. I have had FIOS since June 2019, 250Mbps, cost 99.00 per month, and thus far the pandemic has not effected the speed, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the speed does fall off 10-15%.
(Edited)
Photo of Michelle Reilman

Michelle Reilman

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have had exactly the same problem since November.  I had someone come out and they said there was NO problem with the equipment.  Suffered through a few more months and now I can't even hardly get on the internet and NO streaming.  Set up an appointment for today and NO SHOW.  After talking to 4 people from some other country the appointment didn't even exist.  The person set it up incorrectly. The 2nd person even went so far as saying they were just running late...lol.  Tried to get an American and after an hour they would not give me someone from here.  SUPER UPSET and definitely will call Monday and try to find someone then.  Service for me SUCKS and I pay $168.
Photo of Mike Hopson

Mike Hopson

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
No problems with me. I went from average of 30mbs to around 4mbs but am not complaining due to the overload that they are having with everyone at home. It will all get better when the virus folks go back to work. You can live for a few days with slower speeds. I have no other options except for Hughes Net that is facing the same problem!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
The congestion impacts on Freedom and legacy Unlimited 150 GB plans are localized. Some were hit by the plan change almost immediately because they were on heavily used beams to begin with. For some it took months before they saw the impact when Viasat loaded new subscribers (for old FMJ it was some 6 months or so before he saw any impact). For others, they adapted by shifting to less frequently utilized hours off-peak. More recently we're seeing folks on lightly utilized beams just now seeing the impact of the change. 

Wait it out in hopes of a return to normalcy or switch plans - but just remember if youj switch plans tht Freedom or legacy Unlimited 150 GB plan isn't coming back. They aren't available to switch back to. Choose wisely. The good new is that those plans were sold prior to 2/13/2018 so your two years are up.

This doesn't apply to the newer, elusive Unlimited Platinum 150 GB plan.
(Edited)
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
When I was on Freedom it eventually became unusable, even late at night and early morning. I was being throttled all the time regardless of how much data I'd used. I switched to a Liberty plan and it was a huge improvement. I just hope Viasat doesn't alter my plan again. If they do I'll probably switch to HN or Starlink if it becomes available. My electric co-op is looking to apply for a grant to lay fiber but I'm not holding my breath as they have had a couple of setbacks since starting the process.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2431 Posts
  • 1438 Reply Likes
But Hughesnet might be a better option for some, depending on location.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Probably, but switching to a Liberty plan turned out to be a good decision for me. Of course not all Viasat customers have Liberty as an option. I think it's reserved for legacy customers using the old Exede modem.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 835 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
I signed up just over a year ago and Liberty is all I was offered. I have the “flat” modem. Not sure if that is old or new, but I was glad I was not offered the “triangle” modem as it would not have fit in my structured cabling panel.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2431 Posts
  • 1438 Reply Likes
I might have considered Liberty, but wasn't offered to me. All I had offered to me was "unlimited" plans with no free zone anymore.

Decided Viasat didn't need my money anymore either. If my wireless plan ends or fails, I already have a Hughesnet contigency plan in place.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 838 Posts
  • 421 Reply Likes
Liberty plans are available here even to new customers. Zip 22501, that would be the once notorious beam 329, that seems to improved. That was the official Viasat site I got that from, not some of these dealers trying to mislead people into thinking they are Viasat.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 844 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
Voyager again bragging about his slow speeds.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Are you WayneA? Robin? Bobbin?

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Bobbin wasn't a troll though.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 329 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Right now I dont believe is a great time some people ONLY have this as a means of working from home and I have had same problem time to get FCC involved since they are issuing money to comapnies to help people stay connected so they dont have to go out in public. This leaves those that dont have any other option in a risk of infection just to communicate they have to leave home. Even if you want to change plans it wont do you any good because it will be weeks before you get installed. Let FCC know all this when you file the complaint and that you will be having to go into a public place to be able to connect to any forms of health or safety places cause some of us dont even get cell signal at home cause if we coud we could get internet there 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 834 Posts
  • 290 Reply Likes
I get it that many simply don’t understand technology, but are you really so naive as to think the FCC or anyone else can make it possible for Viasat to build and launch a new satellite next week?

By all means contact the FCC and your congress critters, but understand two things:
1. Now is probably not the best time. There are more pressing issues and your complaint will be long forgotten once the crisis has passed.
2. Very little can be done in the short-term. It isn’t just your connection that is stressed, but also the internet backbone communication links, servers, etc. These aren’t things that can be upgraded over night.

In the next couple of weeks we have to make do with what we have. Certainly once the crisis has passed, we should continually petition for better service, but I will suggest your best bet in rural areas are RECs. The FCC can enable, but they cant do anything directly nor would we want them to. Go to your REC’s board meetings and make noise. Do as I did and run for a board seat. Far better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
(Edited)
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
A lot of these comments forget that you are paying for a service.
This service just happens to be terrible.

I'm 99% sure anyone who uses the service 'reliably' will switch to starlink given the chance....

Of all things, music skipping? 
I remember when almost all internet services required 128KBps, this speed is still viable and usable for most services, and even with the 600ms latency (usually more) that satellite brings... music should not skip.
even HD quality, as we are technically paying for speeds well over 1MBps now.

But you know..."Viasat does not throttle or restrict specific services."
Always obscure.