For those of you on satellite internet...

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
Good luck this month. You are going to need it. 'Tis the Season!

https://www.multichannel.com/news/hol...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Spinninghorse VS1/B329/Freedom

Spinninghorse VS1/B329/Freedom, Champion

• 302 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
So us rural folk are living back in the 2013 - 2015 broadband days.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 692 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
I thought the second coming of Robin got japped, how did they get off another post?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
Good question.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 94 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Came back after getting kicked off, same useless posts as before, not here to help, only to push buttons, more posts erased, and still allowed to be here, again.  Par for the course.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 692 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
Even then the speed the useless poster is getting now has nothing to do with the holidays as for most they aren't here yet.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2450 Posts
  • 1501 Reply Likes
The posts were deleted, but the new identity wasn't banned.  A typical forum troll to still post when they've been banned.  Pathetic, actually.  A clear "nobody wants you here", but they still show up anyway.  
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 326 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
I'm one of those who was basically forced off a Freedom plan due to it becoming unbearably slow most of the time. Changed to Liberty 50 and so far it has been pretty good with my speeds staying consistent between 6-12Mbps most of the day. I'm praying that Viasat doesn't alter my plan again.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 692 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
I definitely could have lived with 6-12. As some people obviously are in magic spots on uncrowded beams I think I was in a dead spot on a crowded beam. I know the techs run the gamut but after a half dozen of them took a crack at it you would think one of them aligned it correctly. I was constantly around 1 Mbps or under on a Liberty 12 plan, and that was rarely going over priority data.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 713 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes
I agree. I can actually live with a consistent 5 Mbps. It is when it gets below 2 that things get ugly.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
Yea. I was forced off Freedom too. But I dumped Viasat. Wasn't going to do business with a company that treated customers that way. They didn't want to give me my plan, so I didn't give them my money. Lol

• 302 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
ExSatUser - AND you had a better option.  :-)

Admiral Korbohuta

• 326 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
If I had another option other than Hughes or Viasat I would've cancelled satellite long ago. The funny thing is that thanks to the 3 hour freezone I'm using more data per month than I did on Freedom.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
Free zone is a good thing. Should have never given it up. But then the false promise of 150GB months got me too.

Too bad a company didnt deliver what they had promised to do.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2450 Posts
  • 1501 Reply Likes
If I had another option other than Hughes or Viasat I would've cancelled satellite long ago. 
I've no doubt that we all feel the same way.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
LOL
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 692 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
Those 70 MPH winds you had when all through the USA there were no winds above 25 MPH? You are nothing but a LIAR. Get a life. Quite humorous how the threads you start are closed yet you still exist.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
It amazes me how much they are estimating the average household uses now!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 713 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes
Doesn’t amaze me at all. I can use 6 GB a day without even breaking a sweat. What amazes me is that Viasat still considers data caps in the 12 - 100 GB range anything other than laughable.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
When Viasat-1 came online, the one plan was 7.5GB/month with no free zone. Think about that!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 692 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
I still survive on 15 GB a month on red wireless. When I go over which I usually do late in the month the 600 Kbps throttled speed is still good enough to listen to internet radio and you tube music. Websites with high security are a little slow, but still work.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
I use 14GB a month just on my mobile device!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 692 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
My mobile device is a flip phone.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 363 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
So is mine
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
To each his own!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 692 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
I would still have my phone that was half the size of a brick if I did not have to dive down an embankment to miss an out of control car 15 years ago while waiting for a wrecker to load my motorcycle that had a flat. I have never replaced any technology until it broke or was unusable. Up till a couple years ago I had computers running Windows 98 in my machine shop. As late as 2006 I was using PCs to run machines using DOS. If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
But stuff does become obsolete or too expensive to maintain.

My one way DirecPc was still working in 2006, until speeds became intolerable. Hey, where have we seen that before!
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2450 Posts
  • 1501 Reply Likes
I'm an oddity in that I pretty much only have a cell phone for emergencies, whether out and about or if I were to lose my home phone for some reason, which has only happened once in fifteen years, and due to a branch falling from my front maple tree and taking out my line.  It was fixed the next day.  

I'm so unconcerned about getting more minutes and data that I go the cheap way, as in buying a 30 day card for $9.99 and then adding 365 days on for another $49.95.  I only get 90 minutes, texts and MBs, but I already have over 5000 of each of the first two and 3.6GB of data, and over the last four years I'm lucky if I've used more than two hours, 20 texts and 100MB of data.  ~$60 for 395 days of service isn't bad.  
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 94 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Gabe, sounds like Tracfone.  I had them almost 20 years, and I also accumulated many minute/whatever buying the year cards (but, the ones with airtime).  I switched when another carrier had a 6 month big discount with phone hotspot, and then Vz with the jetpack, and at the time dirt cheap air cards on ebay (they aren't cheap now, but phone plus jetpack is still "cheap" with the autopay and discounts).

$60 is ok, about $60 including a new phone and the year of service plus the airtime might be better. They have other bundles too.  https://www.qvc.com/Tracfone-LG-Rebel-4-5%22-Smartphone-with-1500-TalkTextData.product.E233693.html?...

Or $40 for no phone, but Vz is out of stock now, I don't know if they will get it back in.  Vz was in stock for quite some time at $50 if I recall correctly (direct from Tracfone on their ebay store).  Might not hurt to keep an eye on it, if Tracfone's what you use.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepaid-Wireless-Smartphone-Plan-SIM-1200-Min-1200-Txt-3GB-Data/28...

Different MVNO at $60/year. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-42-Mo-Red-Pocket-Prepaid-Wireless-Phone-Plan-Kit-100-Talk-100-Text-500MB/...
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3549 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
haha Tracfone was my first cell. No apps then, it was all about playing the snake game and changing out faceplates. I guess the latter is still true somewhat but I'm content with a "I believe" Yeti sticker slapped on mine. 

Reeling back to the overall conversation...that's pretty par for the course this time of year. One can argue when Disney+ launched it gave a headstart.  I'd encourage setting device resolutions and maybe looking up usage if Santa or Krampus brings a smart home device (some are MASSIVE drainers).
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 692 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
But stuff does become obsolete or too expensive to maintain.

I am starting to phase out the old stuff as my closet full of spare "vintage" computer parts is becoming depleted. I was using floppys to transfer files between computers up to a year ago. The computer controlled machines I operate run off of text files as they have for decades, if the control is manufactured from the same company a program that will operate a machine built in the early 80's will function in a machine built in 2019.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 326 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
I haven't used a floppy in 15 years. Why would you use storage media that is so obsolete?
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 692 Posts
  • 291 Reply Likes
I had a machine that was run off software stored on floppys, it had a floppy drive built into it. It was the 1980's version of old computer driven machines that ran off of looped punch tapes. The manufacture of the machine was long since out of business and it was rare. The thing finally became impossible to repair  as I ran out of spare parts I cannibalized off a twin machine I had bought with it. So that ended my need for floppys when I hauled it to the scrap yard.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2450 Posts
  • 1501 Reply Likes
I had a cell phone back in the mid/late 90s.  A Motorola TeleTac 200.  I got a Sprint phone in 2001, but after the commitment I closed the account as I never really used it, and $60 per month for something I wasn't using seemed ludicrous.  

My first TracFone was a Samsung S150G, which was $9 at Walmart.  My current one is an LG Premier LTE.  It's not a bells and whistles phone, but it's enough for me.  I use it more for playing Candy Crush than anything else.  LOL.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
Will be interesting to see how slow primetime will get in the next couple weeks. Many of us old timers remember awful speeds a few years ago in December.

• 302 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
Right? Didn't those big promises of what Viasat-2 would do for us follow that?  LOL  Good times.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
In fairness to Viasat, Viasat-2 had serious issues that prevented it from reaching its full potential. For much of the country, Viasat-2 has done nothing.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1430 Posts
  • 461 Reply Likes
Those issues, other than citing some antenna failures, were never fully disclosed to my knowledge. An insurance settlement was reached and then silence since. At one point they were going to try and reboot (I’m sure it’s more technical than that), but like I said...silence.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
They did get $185 million or so in a settlement.

But now it is on to Mexico.

Viva la Viasat!
Photo of joan arquette

joan arquette

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
They internet suck so bad it
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 192 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Doing good this season with speeds but not with Viasat now I have moved on.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 192 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1414 Posts
  • 458 Reply Likes
That’s pretty solid compared to satellite.
Photo of Paul D

Paul D

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have satellite and here is my speed test done minutes ago. Other that the ping time I have much better speed.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 192 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
I can change my plan and get way faster speed but I pay for 10mbps down 1mbps up and true unlimited data with fixed wireless. I stay at 10mbps down doesn't drop any that I have seen so far, my isp is fiber fed at the tower so it is pretty solid like Bradley said. Your speed is great I just never seen those speeds when I was on Viasat.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1414 Posts
  • 458 Reply Likes
Yes. True unlimited and solid speeds along with low latency are the way to go. Satellite will never get all three....or will Elon?
Photo of Paul D

Paul D

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I had fixed wireless for a number of years with 3 Mbps down and 1 up. This speed actually worked well and had very low latency. I started to have problems and found out there was lots of interference on the same frequency as the tower I was getting my signal from. They told me to alleviate the problem it would mean they would have to upgrade equipment. I was told they would not upgrade as only a hand full of people were using internet off that tower. As a result they cut me off a years end.

Viasat works very well for me. Only thing I don't like is limit on data. Pretty sure I'm not the only one on Viasat that is satisfied. But I'm sure not many people that like Viasat comment on this forum. Most of the people on this forum only complain about it.

• 302 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
So what you are saying Paul D is we all should be happy with your speed?  After all, if you are getting these stats so is everyone else?  How about we trade?  I just ran a speed test:  

• 302 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
As a side note, that is the best upload speed I have had in 6 yrs with Viasat.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 192 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
@ Bradley

Well.....Elon is going for it so lets hope he can pull it off. I think he will get it going, now I'm sure there will be set backs and so on but that comes with any new projects of that scale. I am looking forward to see how it will come together I mean this is something new for all of us to witness so lets hope the big guy can do it.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2409 Posts
  • 1467 Reply Likes
Most of the people on this forum only complain about it.
It's human nature.  People don't tend to go out of their way to express satisfaction or happiness with a product or service, but when it's the opposite they often do.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 192 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
@ Paul D

Well that sucks they did not do the upgrade for the tower and one would think they could have got some grant money to help with it. Grants is what got my area going so hang in there you never know what ay show up for you in the near future.

I was happy to have Viasat for the 5 years I had them and sure it had it's ups and downs at times but I was thankful I could get internet at that time. 
Photo of Paul D

Paul D

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm not saying everyone is getting the speed I am or should be happy with Viasat. What I am saying is I don't believe the majority of customers are unhappy. Just that most of the happy customers don't comment on this forum. Usually if they do the unhappy customer cut them to shreds.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1414 Posts
  • 458 Reply Likes
Only an old man with 3 cats could truly be satisfied with satellite internet.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2409 Posts
  • 1467 Reply Likes
I only have one cat and am not yet 50, but I'm satisfied with my satellite internet.  Sure, I would rather have something better, but it works well enough for me, and with having it for fifteen years I can easily use it within its means, not expecting it to be something it's not.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1414 Posts
  • 458 Reply Likes
Lol. But that “I’d like to have something better” signals not completely satisfied. I get it. I got by for years. Thriving beats surviving. I think options will change in a year or so. Hang in there.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 451 Posts
  • 411 Reply Likes
You can still get 3 cats even though you're only 50 - I won't hold your youth and inexperience against you.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
I was talking to my local co-op board member and didnt like what I heard. Satellite internet providers (I am sure Viasat is one of them) is telling co-ops not to invest in internet infrastructure because in 3 years it will be obsolete due to what satellite internet is going to deliver. Sad.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 713 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes
I have heard that also. Anyone who thinks any satellite system is going to obsolete optical fiber is living in a fantasy world.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2163 Posts
  • 1258 Reply Likes
Yes. But to the layman it all sounds good. And you know Viasat is using propaganda to the fullest to try and deter the expansion of fiber in rural America
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1430 Posts
  • 461 Reply Likes
Sad indeed.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 713 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes
True, but board member have an obligation to educate themselves beyond the layman level. The good thing is that the NRECA is finally getting onboard and that will help a lot as many boards who aren't’ willing to learn and think for themselves will follow what the NRECA says.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 633 Posts
  • 592 Reply Likes
Pretty sure the reference is to LEO satellite constellations not GEO - even then debatable but doubt it's Viasat deterring fiber expansion - their sights are turned elsewhere away from residential internet services. We'll know soon enough, but let me put it this way... I'm not looking for anybody to pull fiber to my door step regardless of whether it's subsidized or not - it's not a good financial decision. But if somebody wants to do that and offer me unlimited at $79 per month, I'll be glad to sign up.

As Belichick might say... we're on to Viasat-4

https://spacenews.com/viasat-starts-viasat-4-development-mulls-hybrid-geo-leo-terrestrial-connections/
(Edited)