For Liberty 12 plan, is $50 just a promo price good for 3months?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • In Progress
I can't see the overall package details regarding the plan on the website
Photo of Arvie Jay Jocson

Arvie Jay Jocson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • sad

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
That should be the regular price for Liberty 12 - but don't take my word for it. That's what it is in my Zip Code. Wait for a moderator (employee) to confirm
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I think you are correct. Liberty 12 is the cheapest plan available from Viasat, but not available in all areas.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Arvie,

This will provide some additional details:

Choose wisely...

Arvie Jay Jocson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks.. comparing it to the old detail it says $30 for 3 months then its going to be $50 after. thanks

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Yep, it tends to be pretty clear on promo pricing but folks till miss it and that's when the fireworks start around here 3 months later. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
It's a good plan. Just remember to utilize the free zone to the fullest.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Stephen, is that you??? Why are you impersonating VeteranSatUser?
(Edited)

Arvie Jay Jocson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
is this an up to date detail of the plan?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Old Labs. I would still be on Exede Classic 10 if it wasn't for the Freedom plan I got offered. I believe Liberty plans are better than the "unlimited" plans because a) they have a free zone and b) the video resolution downgrader can be turned off. They are also cheaper.

Alas, all people see is "unlimited" so then they believe it.

Arvie Jay Jocson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
is this an updated detail for Liberty plans as of this year?
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2409 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
Hello Arvie, Yes, the Liberty 12 plan is $50.00 per month + equipment and possible taxes and/or fees.

Arvie Jay Jocson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nice, thank you so much for the clarification :D
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 188 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Liberty is the best plan you can get imo, heck even in Liberty pass my speeds never drop under 3mbps during prime time. The plan states up to 12mbps but mine runs up to 18mbps most of the day. And what Vetsat said video resolution downgrader can be turned off to and that there is a plus!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
I should get on the Liberty plan, go over, and get those 1 to 5Mbps speeds.

It would be faster than what I often get today on priority data!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
You and me both vet , I'm on 30 kbps from 330 pm till 130 am 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
No Liberty offered on my beam. Just the "unlimited" plans that I have no desire downgrading to.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
They cant make as much money off Liberty either. The high priced "unlimited" plans are where the real revenue come from.

Give me Liberty, or give me Freedom, but dont give me "unlimited".
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Liberty 12 is more unlimited than unlimited. Plus you don’t have the video restriction.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
I would agree.

But Viasat reserves the right to change it and make it worse!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
That will come next month. They are seeing those who are up near 500 GB a  month on the Liberty plans, so they will want to recoup that data for new subscribers.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 188 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
All I can say if they change the Liberty plans i'm gone, I don't need Viasat I just use them to record my shows to keep the latency down on my Verizon while playing games, not a big deal plus saving $60 a month sounds ok to.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Honestly, I’d leave too if I lost my Liberty 12 plan.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
If you like your plan, you can keep your plan.

Of course Viasat reserves the right to change how your plan works!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
If Golden Corral throttles my bacon and sausage consumption rate during the all you can eat breakfast buffet to less than 1 strip/link per second under the guise of sodium savings, I'm outta there... 
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
A friend of mine was once asked to leave a restaurant serving all you can eat ribs because of "excessive consumption". He was not very happy.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Magic beam is still magical tonight. I used up my priority data weeks ago. I’m on the Liberty Pass.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 188 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Stephen same with me tonight with speeds, give us Liberty or give us dea...... nothing! lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
It just doesn’t make sense for us to have such great speeds while other plans are seeing lower speeds.

Either we are extremely lucky or things will soon change for the worse for the Liberty plans as well.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 188 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
All I can think of is less congestion Stephen, I replied on another post that I noticed a change back in July 2018 when I used up my 12gb that speeds then was around 1mbps after Liberty pass kicked in. Before July it was the usual .25 speeds then like I said it changed to around 1mbps. Now as the months went on it just kept getting better to the speeds we are seeing now that are crazy fast for being on Liberty pass. Now I do see a slow down from time to time during prime time hours but no less than 3mbps,

Now what gets me is after being in Liberty pass the plan states we can enjoy speeds 3 to 5mbps in morning and daytime. Instead of 3 to 5mbps being the most we would see i'm seeing those numbers as minimum even during prime hours, is this cause of the beams not being taxed or something else going on? Did Viasat 2 work that good to take the load off our beam or people just up and left Viasat I have no idea but what ever happened it made Liberty shine.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
Lady Liberty sure is beautiful.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Our engineers are working 24/7 to correct that unexpected Liberty Pass behavior - thanks for bring it to our attention.

For now, not everyone is complaining so they've got that going for them, which is nice... gunga galunga.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Indeed. Something is off with the traffic management.

Rest assured, I wont be calling in to do troubleshooting. Here is how it goes. Make sure the computer is directly hooked to the modem. Run a few speed tests. Those are horrible speeds. Then unplug the modem for a few minutes. Try again. Then they will say it will go to next level support and you will hear something back in 24 hours (you never will).

But in the old days, engineers would monitor these forums and see something was amiss. Maybe on the oft chance that still happens.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Outside of what may be a potential bug in Liberty Pass mode, not sure that's the really case with the new policy.

From the network management policy:

In addition, Network traffic may be prioritized during periods of congestion based on subscribers’ data usage or potential data usage (as a result of their subscription to a high-data threshold plan).

There are two factors reflecting prioritization here, heavier data usage (exceeding threshold and actual) and the potential data usage based solely on the plan you've chosen (i.e.. Unlimited 150GB and Freedom 150GB on Viasat-1).

But the debate will certainly rage on with this one. I can only post results that confirm the way it's supposed to be working in my case and am nowhere near Liberty Pass (not that I'd be posting results to show it's working better than expected on Liberty Pass if that were the case - actually I probably would in the interest of fairness to others just like I return excess change to the cashier). At the same time I not exactly sure many folks know how to run a serious speed test - most of what we see here are casual tests.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
All I can say is I used 2.5GB of data for the month and my speed the other night was 197kbps.

That's a problem! I will need to switch to the Liberty plan, blow out the data cap on the first night, and get on the Liberty Pass just to get better speeds!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
And let me be clear once again. I'm not saying it isn't a problem nor am I saying it is. I also understand all the angst folks are experiencing. I do know what the perceived problem is... I empathize.

What I am saying is that the behavior is exactly what I would have expected to occur on crowded beams where most subscribers are on "limited" plans   based on solely on the published policy. If your speeds were slow they're going to get slower. It should come as no surprise.

For Freedom subscribers and on Viasat-1:

In addition, during periods of network congestion, you may be prioritized behind other customers who have not exceeded their data allowance or usage threshold regardless of the amount of data you have actually used.

For Unlimited 150GB subscribers on Viasat-1:

Further, during network congestion, customers on the Bronze 12, Silver 25, and Gold 30 service plans, who purchased their service plans prior to February 13, 2018, may be prioritized behind other customers who have not exceeded their data allowance or usage threshold regardless of the amount of data actually used, resulting in slower speeds.
This had to be the expected result on Viasat's part (for reasons which will undoubtedly go unknown).

The only anomaly, I see is Liberty Pass users getting much improved speeds at this point - that will likely go away. Will it be enough to ease the burden on the Freedom and Unlimited users? Probably not.  

As best I can see, this is a variation/twist on the newer Verizon Jetpack Prepaid Unlimited Plans where you're subjected to prioritization at all times.

Yeah it's unlimited or virtually unlimited but we're going to give priority to those who are severely limited.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Agreed. But if you are delivering speeds to the point people can't even do basic browsing, time to go back to the drawing board!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Try the Viasat Browser ;)

It always helped me during really slow periods in the past - but now I'm a first class citizen at least for the time being.

That and I do take some pretty extreme measures with it, more aggressive ad blocking with javascript blacklists using uBlock, blocking large media elements, and spoofing user agent strings on data abusive web sites to get them to deliver "basic" web sites. It's really amazing how quickly web sites load when you eliminate all the unwanted crap from being transferred. But I've got all my essential bookmarks and sites configured now.

I'm not waiting for anyone to go back to the drawing board based on past history.

I'm betting Arvie is sorry he asked by now...
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
Note you have to sign a two year contract and the cancelling option is expensive as high as over $300. Also those listed speeds are "up to" and only a handful of customers get those. Only try satellite after exhausting all other options. Also unlike the TV ads claim 99% of the time VIASAT is not better than DSL.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
the contract means nothing to you only Viasat so they can change anything they want to change. I like the price lock promise but we are giving you it for $50 and after three months price increases 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
But at least you know that ahead of time (if you are paying attention).
Photo of TomG

TomG

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm on the old Anik F2 beam 63 and would like to switch from Classic5-15 to the Liberty 25 but don't want to sign up for another two years...Did chat with 'the Agent' and I knew more than he did. Local Con Artist is installing Bronze, Silver and Gold...all 12Mbps 
Rgds,
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
That would have to be on Viasat-2 if your area was never served by Viasat-1.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Tom Greenlee

Anik-F2 will be retired...when is unknown.  Telesat Canada Ltd. owns it, it was launched on 18-Jul-2004, and expected lifetime was 15 years.

To my awareness, VS-1 does not shine in your area...unknown about VS-2.

Might ask Telesat when it might be retired

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Viasat-2 was intended to and advertised as covering all of the continental United States with a minimum speed of 25Mbps.

Now what was advertised and what actually is being delivered is up for debate. Nobody really sure of the impact the antenna deployment failure has had.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'm pretty sure the antenna failure of Viasat 2 was worse than they're letting on. The fact that plans are getting worse and not improving points in that direction. Viasat service has gone backwards and not forwards after V2.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
You know it’s bad when they are letting people of out their contracts with no etf.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
February 15, 2018 Viasat says ViaSat-2 business plan intact despite antenna glitch
Between 90 and 95 percent of the capacity on Viasat’s older fleet — ViaSat-1, WildBlue-1 and broadband offered through Telesat’s Anik-F2 satellite — is dedicated to residential internet access for homes across the United States and Canada. Dankberg said residential broadband subscribers will form an appreciably smaller chunk of ViaSat-2 customers, though he didn’t give a percentage
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I don't know about that. Like Stephen stated, letting people terminate their contract without paying the penalty shows that they realized someone or something is screwed up.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Imho, the change was about having more bandwidth on aircraft side. I suspect a slice of bandwidth was shifted in selected beams.  Most likely, VS-2's antenna glitch is related.... 

If costs were bean counted out, consumer side has additional overhead costs (CSRs, installers, etc.,etc) when compared to aviation side...point being, more revenue on aviation side due to fewer  standing costs on consumer side.

Letting consumers exit without a penalty is good PR, if this is the case.  Most likely, this decision was due to being between a rock and a hard place.  Darned if you do, and darned if you don't.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Changing a plan's terms and conditions is worse PR :).
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Insurance and other companies change plans/terms...why heck, even school boards have changed standards/practices/etc.  When in grade school, we could play playground activities, before/after school...not any more...cause this is not a teacher's job to supervise.  When in grade school, I "supervised" kids walking across a street...not anymore, must be an adult doing it.

Didn't you watch that movie "Things Change?"  Even Dwight Yoakam says Things Change
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Thank you for affirming things change jab :)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Hey Jab,

Were any of those things under a contract with terms and conditions?

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
To my awareness, this change affected those with 150GB plan...if any contract has the "we reserve the right" clause...well, your handshake/tokens seals it.

I have a rental house, and first insurance company dumped policy within several months...leaving me clueless as to why.  Ten years later, they want me back...WTF.  House has not had an insurance claim on it, and insurance companies pool this info.  Only reason I can think of were the trees around house...potential liability for them.

For instance, Facebook website states that: "By using our services after January 30, 2015 you accept the update of our conditions". In its Terms & Conditions, it is indicated that Facebook will inform all users of an update in the terms with a possibility for them to comment and check the new version before using it. Due to this notification, Courts usually allow these kinds of provisions...
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
If I had better options than satellite, I can guarantee you I'd be making "changes" and telling Viasat to shove it.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
What are your Hughesnet options?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
At my address Hughes is offering the 10, 20, 30 and 50GB plans, all with the 50GB per month bonus zone. Viasat's Liberty plans look better in all honesty.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Liberty isn't an option for me. Only "unlimited" plans where the video resolution downgrader cannot be turned off. I dont want that!

So I am left with what I got, Hughesnet, or Verizon. Hence I am exploring those other options.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Just last week only the fake unlimited plans were available to me. Now, just Liberty. At least you can get decent service with Verizon. With my repeater I can only get around .5 Mbps on a good day in winter. In summer when the leaves are out, forget it.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
Nothing makes sense with this company anymore.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Pretty soon we will roll to plans of 10, 15, and 25GB of priority data with a 5 hour late night free zone!
Photo of Ron Cooley

Ron Cooley

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
As I understand it, then it will increase to a higher monthly charge.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
To make sure subscriber revenue continues to increase, because that is the measurement.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I actually miss my Classic plan with the 5 hour free zone.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
There were still times slow speeds occurred, but not every day.