Following all these "data theft" posts and had unusual "incident" today.

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
I am on the lowest GB plan.  We ALWAYS monitor our data.  We are pretty regular when we receive our 70% warning and "normally" go restricted with 2 to never more than 7 days left in the billing cycle.  

Last night prior to 9PM our internet was out.  It was back and forth, out for 30 mins, back on for 15, out another 30, back on for 15, most of the night.  No clouds in the sky and pretty regular intervals so .... Exede must be running updates?   Figured it was odd during peak hours   USUALLY they do this during our free time (12 to 5AM) but regardless, Friday night ... no internet.   We were busy today and not online at all until this evening.  I get on to find an email that we have hit 70% already!   A WEEK EARLY!

Like I said we are quite "regular" with our usage.  ONCE we went 7 days restricted, but 2 or 3 days is our "norm".  According to my calculations this will put us in restriction almost 2 WEEKS!

It was quite irregular to have updates during peak hours, but it is very SUSPICIOUS that it appears they charged OUR DATA TO DO IT!
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 130 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1611 Posts
  • 935 Reply Likes

That's interesting.  I live in the mountains outside of San Jose California and last night my system went through a series of re-syncs.  I get my service from beam 369.

What general part of the country are you in?  A spaceport (ground-station) serves 3 beams at a time in this system, mine is in Hawaii.  Maybe you live where Hawaii serves your beam too, or not.

(Edited)
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 130 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
I live in SE Ohio, reportedly the MOST CROWDED beam.  They have done updates during peak hours in the past.  Usually major, time specific stuff, but never for so long, and NEVER associated with the severe, unexplained data loss we experienced this time!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3025 Posts
  • 1257 Reply Likes
That sounds like a gateway outage. I know it's annoying when all is well on your end and, it's the gateway having weather, or other issues. Mine does that at times but has never reported excess usage because of it.

With the update, I would double check setting on all connected devices. I know IOS is prone to turning auto update and cloud on at will. Windows 10 is preparing to give everyone the creators update, Nvidia rolled out a driver update recently, of course AV updates, anything else that can do automatic updates.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 129 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
LOL Bev, I been with Exede a while.  First thing I checked was weather, I also have sat TV so a weather outage is nothing new here.  It was nothing on my end, the modem was going dark for a period then reset and worked a bit, then went dark again.  Typical of "updates" to the system.  Ive been through many of them USUALLY during my free time which is very aggravating, but understandable.  This is however the first with a suspicious data drain associated.
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 774 Posts
  • 397 Reply Likes
well onto my end there was a network outage near me... mine to also did the same thing also :3 so it did come back online for about... 5 minutes then it went out again... then it took a while for it to come back online again... so i just left it the way it was and played my pokemon sun game onto my 3ds :3 i was breeding some pokes and stuff... and leveling up my pokes also... then when it did stayed the same i went to see if it would stay online... it did stay online and so i genned some pokes and traded them onto gts for people who wanted them... also i wonder traded some also... but also imma back online and its fine onto my end now :3 imma on beam 309 :3
Photo of Gary McSwain

Gary McSwain

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My data was all used up within the first five days following renewal, Excede said it was Microsoft and they refused to help in restricting the Bastards in using up our data. I will be dropping service if this happens again.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1256 Reply Likes
Gary, controlling what your computer does is up to you. Asking Exede to do it is like asking the gas station to control how much gas your gar uses.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1964 Posts
  • 925 Reply Likes
How on earth is it possible for Microsoft to use your data?
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 128 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Microsoft/Windows update can and will smoke your data!  However it is one of the easiest to schedule, or turn off completely.  What annoys me is all the little side programs and apps that constantly interact with the web and do as they please.  Its hard enough to figure out they are doing it, but even harder to stop it without removing the app/program completely!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2938 Posts
  • 1002 Reply Likes
Those updates have been a MAJOR thorn in our sides. They were supposed to have a way to indicate that you're on a metered connection but that seems to have been thrown out. There's little to no head's up on when a update is coming. Sometimes they are HUGE other times they are minor. It seems to wreck more havock on the lower tier plans like our 10GB or 12GB plans but it has rained on a few people's parade on the higher plans as well. 

Unfortunately that is out of our hands completely. I've been more than happy to give a little extra help on data on my end on those I come across but we do not have a way to stop Microsoft from updating your computers and using up data.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1256 Reply Likes
Windows 10 Creators Update (version 15063) does have the ability to set both WiFi and Ethernet connection to metered. You can get that update optionally now, or wait until mid October when it's pushed to you. That is a 5 GB update so, plan for that.

With Metered on however, Windows 10 will still automatically download critical updates so, it won't stop updates, just stop apps and things that Microsft does not deem critical from updating.