Flashing lights on modem with computers off

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I also seem to be using more data that I think I am.  I have noticed the second from the bottom blue light on the modem flash almost constantly and an occasional bleep of (I believe) of the bottom one even with both computers off.    Is this normal? 
Photo of Sue Smith

Sue Smith

• 23 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Just to be certain. By 'modem' do you mean the box the satellite wire from the outside plugs into?
Photo of Sue Smith

Sue Smith

• 23 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Yes I am talking about the EXEDE modem that the satellite wire plugs into. 
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I suspect some of that is normal. I see similar blinking on my modem. One weekend when I was out of town, I disconnected the modem from the satellite and checked data usage (Exede's online tool) and it didn't change.

It's likely that the satellite is simply "checking in" with the modem. A kind of "Are you there?" "Yes, I'm here."
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Sue,
It is the modem locking on to the satellite to maintain the best signal.

If your having bad weather or the dish is misaligned, it will flash more often or constantly if there is a real problem.

It is a very small blip of data being sent (kilobytes). If it did it 24/7 all the time, it would not burn up a megabyte of usage a month. 1024 megabytes in each gigabyte.

I burned up more data writing this answer.

No need to worry, the modem is just phoning home to mother, aka Viasat-1

Hope it helps,
Everett
Photo of gmt1234ful .

gmt1234ful .

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well the phone home should be on Viasat-1 's dime not ours!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
It is not counted as data.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Sue, this is normal as stated above. (: If you'd like to send your info to exedelistens@viasat.com, I can double check to make sure everything is in order.
Photo of Sue Smith

Sue Smith

• 23 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Kimberly  I did email you.  My computer is not set up to use the link so I emailed from my email program.  Hope you get it.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Just responded. (:
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
Sue, Everett is right on with his reply. If you are using Exede Voice, then it is normal for the third light down to blink continuously, as the Voice adapter is constantly checking in with the mother ship to see if you have any calls. The Exede Voice does not use your data. The bottom light will flash every now and then, just checking to see if the router or computer on the other end of the ethernet cable is there. Just a thought. 

Steve
Photo of Sue Smith

Sue Smith

• 23 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I do not use Exede Voice.  But it is good to know that nothing much is happening.
Photo of Wyngs

Wyngs

• 69 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Watch out if both the transmit and receive lights are flashing rapidly with no computers on line. I lost 20% and 7% of my monthly quota in the two instances this happened. Unplugging the MODEM and plugging it back in corrected whatever was going on.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.