First problem in a long time.

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
We've had Viasat seasonaly for 6 years now and have been mostly happy with it, particularly when comparing it to my years with Hughesnet both as consumer and installer. 

However;
 My connection suddenly died on 7/19. Thinking it was just another short term outage I found other things to do. After 24 hours I called support and was told there was a weather issue somewhere and it was affecting the gateway. After another 24 hours it was  obvious something more serious was afoot.

I called the original installer and learned he had move quite far away a year and a half ago and was no longer in the business even though Viasat is still giving out his number here in Vermont.

Viasat said that it would be 5 to 7 days for before they could send our paperwork to another dealer at which point a service call could be arranged. One might wonder why records were not transferred when the original dealer went away. 

We are now told that August 6th is the earliest possible appointment with an unknown dealer. 
Begin Rant: 
August 6th would make it 18 days without internet in the year 2019. Yes that is 2019, NOT 1998!!! This is almost as pathetic as Hughesnet but I concede Hughesnet has been even worse in my world.
If Viasat is not capable of better service than that then each and every employee should be ashamed. Their mother should be ashamed of them as should their dog. If they do not have a dog it is because none would have them.
Waiting for SpaceX, or OneWeb, or ... to change the sat internet equation. 
Rant over....

Troubleshooting:
My original install was on a solid tree stump because I installed the wrong size pole in the ground and did not want the original installer to have to make a second trip given how remote we are. While the stump is still solid, there is a new 2 3/8inch pole waiting here for a tech to move the dish to it. (pic below)

I thought that perhaps the issue might be with my underground cable as I had zero attenuation (pic below) However, I made up a 10 foot cable and moved the modem out to the dish, bypassing my long cable run. Same result on the modem page below. It just stays on  "scanning".

Any help out there?

Any sat wizards out there?

Thanks,
Dean
Vermont
Photo of Dean Douglas

Dean Douglas

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 364 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Any close by local dealers?
If they can install a new system sooner than waiting for the subcontractor to come out to fix your current setup, cancel after new one is in place
Photo of Dean Douglas

Dean Douglas

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That has been investigated. The nearest dealer is 1 1/2hours away and booked for 2 weeks.
They are happy to come out though so that may end up being what happens.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2191 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Tree stump??? Seriously. And you were an installer at one time?
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 364 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Re read what OP said
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2191 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
I did.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 334 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I have mine installed on a tree stump. I sure as heck can move the stump....
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
A pole mount should be in the ground with a concrete block to keep the dish from moving. A tree stump ain't gonna work.
Photo of Dean Douglas

Dean Douglas

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Okay, I'll bite.
The issue is not the tree stump. THAT is for now far more stable than your flimpsy steel poles or exposed and wind vulnerable roof mounts. Think 6 inch lag bolts into baseball bat solid ash (if you are old enough to remember them). Yeah, the first inch of the stump is rotten. The rest is solid and will be for at least another 20 years. It is supported by a root system that extends out 15 feet or so. This is at least as stable as a 12 inch concrete pad. Just because something is not code or inside the box does not mean it is defective or inadequate. Try thinking outside the box a bit. This was done to save the installer 4 hours of driving time and myself the added service cost. It has seved well and continues to do so.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2191 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Yet your system don't work and you are now going to put it on a pole.
(Edited)
Photo of Dean Douglas

Dean Douglas

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks , Yes, you are ever so helpful.   I will be removing that stump and some of the brush and trees behind it to install more ground mount solar panels. Thus the pole mount. We are off grid and need more power in the low light months.
Again, thank you ever sooooooooooo much for your helpful commentary. It's refreshing to know that there are folks here that have better things to do on Saturday morn than troll forums.

Again, the stump is adequate and is not the problem or did you miss that too?
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Lag screws will loosen up, especially in a tree stump holding something that will catch wind. I cannot believe you are defending what you did, amazing.
Photo of Dean Douglas

Dean Douglas

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Another one so helpful. 
 Do you get that the issue is not the stump? The issue is the dead connection, not the mount. 

Also, this was my own home install, not a clients. And btw, you are dead wrong about lags loosening. They have not at all. If anything they have locked in with some corrosion in the ash. If I was putting them in concrete I would normally fill the hole with construction adhesive but that is not needed in wood.
The pole does indeed move in the wind with a dish. The stump does not at all even with the 70mph wind shear we have had here. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2191 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Yet you are moving it to a pole :).
Photo of Dean Douglas

Dean Douglas

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
You still don't get it....never will. Trolls don't.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
The guys responding to you are definitely not trolls....  You have an unapproved installation, no matter which way you look at or try to defend it.  Also, don't believe they are supposed to use a customer-installed pole either....
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
Dean, the people responding to you are not trolls. They are long time users of satellite internet and know quite a bit of what works and what doesn't.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2463 Posts
  • 1509 Reply Likes
The bottom line is, as long as it's attached to that stump, which, BTW, may not be as stable as you imagine (wood expands and contracts with heat and humidity), you're not going to get a lot of help.  Right from the start there's a problem, and trying to fix another problem while the first one is there is not going to go well, help wise.  

I'm not saying the stump is causing the issue, but only that you're starting from a standpoint of a suspect install, and that's always going to be the first thing thought of.   It also won't be surprising if the tech says something like, "First, we need to get that installed properly, and then we'll try to figure out what's wrong."  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2191 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
So true Gabe. Viasat would have never approved such an installation, whether the customer said it was okay or not.

And wood does expand, contract, rot, etc. If the dish is off just a little bit, the service wont work.

Bit we are just trolls that know nothing. So back to the popcorn.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2463 Posts
  • 1509 Reply Likes
Is ViaSat still using concrete?  The reason I ask is that last month I had to have my DirecTV dish moved from a roof mount to a pole mount, and I was fully expecting the post hole digger and bag of Sakrete to make their appearance.  Nope.  Not even close.  

This tech used an auger called an EZ Dig, and then used a hard setting "satellite post foam" that is specifically made for these installations.  He had a bag that was separated down the middle with a piece of plastic.  He then took that piece of plastic off so that the two separated halves could mix together, creating an expanding liquid.  With the pole already in place in the hole, which was only about 3" or 4" in diameter, but about four feet deep, he then poured this liquid into it, and around the pole.  Within about a minute this stuff started expanding up and out of the hole, and after another five minutes or so it was hard as could be.  

After about a half hour I broke away the stuff that had expanded up and out of the hole, as it was about the size of a basketball  Now, don't get me wrong: it's definitely not as sturdy as the standard pole install with concrete, but WOW.  Fast, easy and good enough for what was needed.   Heck, he was only here for about 45 minutes, and that included boring the hole, setting the pole, mounting a new dish, splicing into the old line, and burying about 15 feet of cable.  And it was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be ($49 to DTV, $15 to the tech for the cable burial, and then a $20 tip).    
Photo of Dean Douglas

Dean Douglas

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the constructive commentary. A nice change.

I understand the non objective, "by the book" ridgidity of the anti stump sentiment but it has been stable for 6 plus years. If the stump were moving I would think we would have had a gradual  signal deterioration rather than a sudden loss. I came here for help with that, not to be insulted about the non code mount. 

Coming here has been kind of like a Bernie supporter at a Trump Rally trying to understand the attraction. Instead of understanding and explainations, you get insulted and beaten.  

Yes I am familiar with the properties of my wood. We have our own sawmill and have cut, milled, dried, planned, sanded and installed most of the wood in our post and beam house. And yes, it is still moving a little bit after 9 years. Yes it does change with temp and humidity and the seasons. Lowest moisture content here is usually in late March.

I would love to get a tech out here and fix the problem, on the stump or on the pole, just fixed.

Done with this forum. I will not be back.....Sick trolls
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
Dean, no one here has insulted you.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2191 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
I got my popcorn! I am waiting for Stephen's input.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Where do you buy lag screws that don't need to be re-tightened? I have two work benches I bought second hand made from kiln dried treated lumber that was put together with 3/8" lag screws. Every couple months I tighten them up.

At least it was a tree stump. No kidding, I had a friend in California who moved out in the mountains around Napa. He rented in an area of run down small mountain cabins. One of his neighbors had their electrical service entrance mounted to a live tree. That was back when my cell phone did not have a camera or I would have taken a picture. Pretty sure the idiot that did that did not get a permit.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2463 Posts
  • 1509 Reply Likes
Well, I can't speak from experience, but an FL SNR of 0.0 appears to be a problem.  Pointing issue?  Foliage?  Water in the eye?    

I guess it doesn't matter now, since we're all "sick trolls", anyway.  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
I love my popcorn....