First issue (billing)

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Solved
Supposedly my bill was due after only a week of service. If I had known that I would of saved money for it or paid it while I had the money, Except now my bank account is over drawn & my bank charges a 35 dollar over draft fee. 

I tried talking to them to see if I could get a refund to avoid the 35 dollar over draft fee & pay the bill again when I actually get the money but they don't do refund's. Not to mention the remaining money in my bank account was supposed to be for gas. 

So thanks for the heads up & not telling me my bill would be due after one week or that there would be automatic payments.

I mean no one on the phone mentioned anything about automatic payments or a bill would be due so soon. 

I mean my bank won't even let me dispute it until it gets posted/goes through but by the time it does no point since I will be paid on monday or tuesday. Only thing worth disputing would be the overdraft fee but then probably wouldn't be doable.

So yeah a bit frustrated with this but eh whatever, I suppose. What is done is done I suppose.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 37 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 212 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3394 Posts
  • 1273 Reply Likes
Hi Courtney

Since our service does prorated billing (paying the month ahead) the first bill generally hits a few days after install but it should have been communicated in the confirmation email and/or the phone. We can change the bill date as well if needed for the future
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes

Courtney...

Well.  Read my previous posts when you first posted you were getting Viasat. 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 689 Posts
  • 418 Reply Likes
Courtney should've listened to our advice. She should've saved some money and gotten back with Cox.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 224 Reply Likes
Think i posted twice trying to warn her about it ? *Shrug* Oh well some ppl dont learn except through theyre own mistakes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
I know she said she had money issues with Cox. Now she has money issues with Viasat because she didn't fully understand how the billing works.

I can sympathize, but just wish she would have listened to our advice or ask more questions first.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2647 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes
You think you hate Viasat now? Just wait until you cancel it.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
I was thinking the same thing!!!!
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 37 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Why is cancelling even worst? I know about the 15 dollar the month fee & if you don't return everything they charge you extra full price if it's not returned in 30 days. 

I don't mind the internet & it suits my needs in all honesty. I am a bit mad about there billing practices. Everyone said how bad the internet service is but no one has mentioned there billing practices.

They pretty much hold your debit/credit card hostage in my opinion & when signing up the person never once said anything about automatic payments being the only payment option. 

I mean I am getting paid on monday so the overdraft will be covered. I just wanted more heads up. I thought they would work like any other company & pay them whenever the bill was due manually/yourself.

If that was the case I would of had 10 days to pay the bill before they shut it off. Which would of been monday I am mad over my bank letting it through even though I have overdraft protection & being charged a over draft fee. 

According to my bank they only let it through was because it kept trying to be put through. Which in my opinion should be unacceptable. I know I owe you the money but the fact to keep putting it through until my bank caved in & ignored my overdraft protection is what I am mad about. 

Even talked to someone saying paying on Monday would of been fine. All I had to do was hit pay the bill when I had money on Monday. That is obviously not the case & was lied to as well.
(Edited)
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 37 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Also eh I feel better after venting about the billing issue. So if any viasat employee sees this I am sorry was just frustrated. With how all this played out.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 212 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
It seems pretty clear to me. What part of this was a “lie?”

https://help.viasat.com/internet/arti...

They even show a sample calendar. This is more clear than most companies I deal with.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Most companies attempt a charge or check three times or more before calling it a bounced.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3039 Posts
  • 1951 Reply Likes
I have been with Wildblue/Viasat for 11 years, and have never had a billing issue. The auto pay is clearly pointed out in the terms on the Viasat website. It looks to me that you should be looking for a new bank if you are unhappy with them allowing you to overdraft without a charge. Oh, all banks charge for overdrafts.

I see storm clouds on the horizon. Viasat, get ready for a rough ride.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs!!
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 37 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Truthfully I read all your comments I am not going to yell or anything. Not even going to get mad even laughed at a few truthfully. 

Eh I was mostly mad over the fact the person I talked to in customer support said they would let me pay it on the 7th... which is why I said they where lying. 

Then got mad my banks overdraft protection didn't stop it. My bank has a overdraft protection policy of anything over 25 dollars will not be allowed through and they allowed it through despite there policy. 

So was mad at both but eh I got over it & figured I would reply/respond back lol. Everything will be fine this month truthfully.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
How are things going otherwise? You have to be one of just a couple in this country that passed over cable internet for satellite internet.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 37 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's actually OK only use .5 or 1GB a day. Discovered we can run hulu & netflix pretty well without buffering, same with youtube. So pretty sure since hulu, netflix, & youtube work there will be days we don't use .5 or 1GB. Though it's been 9 days since the data reset & only sitting at 9GB of data used. Been watching it with the data usage truthfully. Yeah we may have unlimited data but says you can get deprioritized after the cap so trying to not push it lol. 

Though as an experiment downloaded part of a game on my xbox one (know we can not play multiplayer) & was getting 10 MBPS - 50MBPS (mostly jumping all over the place between those two numbers) while downloading (just wanted to see how that would work so canceled the download) I got 0.5 % of the game downloaded in 4-5 minutes (not bad but still slow)

So if I really wanted to download a game onto the xbox it would probably work as long as the game wasn't huge in size. Due to having a data limit. 

For web browsing absolutely no issue. Web browsing is the fastest thing ever lol. Though I was thinking of maybe adding in a router to see if might boost things a bit more but eh probably won't lol. 

Only issue I have is the data cap since you can & more likely will be throttled. Other then that it works for me. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Router really shouldn't make a difference.

You could plug the computer in directly and go from there with a test to see what speed you get.