Finally over!

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Not Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

After twenty years of satellite internet I finally bit the bullet, yanked the lnb and modem and went cellular with a hotspot and external antenna.

we have “one bars” out here but that was enough to get three with antenna.
tonight I have 35mbs doen and 22 up with a 49ms latency.

I am in heaven.

good luck to all and as we StarBand Users used to say, “cheers”!
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 73 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
  • content

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of James Morris

James Morris

• 38 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Congratulations! I was able to leave Viasat 2 yrs ago when fiber came to our neighborhood.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 293 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Awesome! It is as good as getting out of a bad relationship. Those are great speeds, I get about 1/3 of that with cellular, but it never drops out regardless of weather. Way better than satellite.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1460 Posts
  • 866 Reply Likes
Best of luck to you.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 452 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Good deal. I will likely try this when my contract runs out. I borrowed a Jetpack and its performance was about the same as DSL in my area (3 Mbps), but it was steady. Viasat is al over the map. It will be 6-8 sometimes during the day and then 0.2 at times during the evening and then nothing when a rain storm moves through. I think Verizon would be much more consistent and weather immune and a fair bit less expensive as well. I still have 15 months to ponder my next experiment though...

The best part about Verizon is no contract. I can try it for a month or two and then cancel is it doesn’t work. The main risk is the Jetpack cost, but they aren’t that expensive.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 293 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
The Jetpack has a page that shows signal strength. You would be surprised at how much moving it just a couple feet can make a huge difference in signal strength and speeds. It is steady, I have had it over a year it hasn't dropped out once from rain, snow, lightning, or wind.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.