FBI To America: Reboot Your Routers, Right Now

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Not a Problem
The FBI has issued a dire warning to everyone who has a router in their home. The Internet Crime Complaint Center sent a rare Public Service Announcement declaring: "Foreign cyber actors have compromised hundreds of thousands of home and office routers and other networked devices worldwide."

http://start.att.net/news/read/article/popular_mechanics-fbi_to_america_reboot_your_routers_right_no...
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 424 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
  • Be warned

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Seems like if it was a real issue for most people, the isp’s would just reboot modems from their end.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
Does this even make sense?  How could this do anything?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
The router malware (in its current stage) doesn't persist across reboots - the hope is that this will slow the spread until permanent fixes/patches are offered. Russsia, Russa, Russia....

https://boingboing.net/2018/05/24/whew-i-think.html

Before taking control of the domain it would reload on reboot.
(Edited)
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 420 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
I think most folks have a separate router and a modem so rebooting the modem would do nothing, ISP's can't force a separate router to reboot... it may work for folks that have a combo router-modem.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
True. I had our wonderful combo in mind :).
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
So those of us that have built in routers from viasat don't have to worry, viasat took care of this from their end?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
No. Reboot once for peace of mind. Good for it anyhow .
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
this forum is peace of mind, thanks to the fine people who post here.  I will reboot here at home to confirm.  
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I had a D Link one I think was compromised. I was using much more data than I usually do. I bought another one and don't seem to have the issue anymore.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
Eh, my router is reboot every time I turn it off after a session and turn it on with the next.  I don't leave anything of mine on.  Heck, normally I don't even use my own router, but have been lately to compare data usage to what HughesNet says I'm using.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I am the same way. Reboot daily.
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
GabeU,Your comment says HughesNet.Do you have both ViaSat and HughesNet?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
No, only HughesNet.  
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
So why are you on the ViaSat forum?
And is HughesNet any better than what we ViaSat users have experienced?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
Because they share similar issues, troubleshooting steps and solutions.  

Out of respect for ViaSat, as in being on their board, the second question I can't answer.  But I also can't make a direct comparison. 
(Edited)
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Thanks for your answer.
When you say you are on their board, I assume you mean their forum and not their board of directors.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
LOL.  Yeah, their board, as in this forum.  Still used to calling it a board from the old BBS days.  
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
In any case, you have a unique perspective on ViaSat and I will listen to your comments more closely from now on.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I have had both Hughesnet and Viasat. I had Hughesnet for 10 years, and Wildblue/Exede/Viasat since 2006. Overall I have had more satisfaction with Viasat. Hughesnet's service kept degrading, and I got tired of talking to India for support. But from what I can tell Hughesnet has closed the gap. Viasat-2 was suppose to widen the gap again, but that looks like that is not going to happen due to the satellite's issues.
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Thanks for your comment.
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Does unhooking the ViaSat modem disconnect the Router or is it a matter of actually hitting the reset button on Router?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Power off or unplug the router (or modem/router combo if that's what you have).

The reset button will reset the device to its default configuration (and you may need to then reconfigure).

Some manufacturers are also recommending a reset not simply a reboot.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1779 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes

"Reset" is just that.  It restores the thing to factory settings.  You only need to reboot.  Unplug the thing for about 2 minutes and plug it back in... that's all there is to it. 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Following up on the reset suggestion see:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/vpnfilter-malware-router-reboot/

Some have suggested that seizing control of the domain allows the FBI to do what the Russians were doing. Today does it make a difference if the Russians or FBI has your personal info? Depends how paranoid you are I guess as to whether a reset is advisable ;) The reset supposedly eliminates the persistent part of the malware (until firmware fixes are supplied).

Heaven forbid that the FBI get hold of my posting history here... but my usage monitoring shows no unexpected data loss and remains spot on with the usage meter.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
OK, I am on limited Internet and metered conditions for wifi. Last night I did as instructed and unplugged the router, also the modem as I usually do. This morning I wake up to a screen saying windows updates could not be installed. Plugged everything back in and left for ten minutes only to come back and see via Bitmeter that 545 meg had already been used for the day............checked my connections and it still was set to metered. WHY was data downloaded?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Setting metered doesn't prevent all updates. Microsoft reserves the right to provide "critical updates" regardless (they promise they won't be large but that's a relative term). Look at the Windows update history to see what failed to install - that might provide some clue as to what was downloaded but not installed. Usually there's a knowledge base number (KBxxxxxxx) associated with the update that failed to install that can be used to track back and get its size.

Bitmeter's good for overall usage counts; something like Glasswire or Networx is better for determine what process caused the usage.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803

This one has tried to install many times and never does. Always fails.
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Another one is Ver 1709 although a ver 1709 for X64 system did install. I actually have about 19% of something get installed according to meter but it is now stuck. Is there a way to resume it at a later time OR can these be downloaded manually from Microsoft?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3128 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
I have had the 1803 major update install on my three computers within the past two weeks. All three installed without a problem, nearly 5 GB each. None had to try a second time.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 424 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Dave, do the "Check for updates" and see what's being offered by Microsoft..

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-for-updates-in-windows-10
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
yes, I did that and that is were I see the stalled 19%.  As stated the 1703 x64 did install, but the other did not. I was just wondering if there was another way thru maybe the Microsoft website.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Seems to be a common problem.

See the following for a host of symptoms and fixes:

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-april-2018-update-common-problems-and-fixes
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
Dave, if you don't have a lot on your computer, or you could save what's important to reinstall or put back later, it might be a good idea, if you have the data, to download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft, write it to DVD or USB Flash drive, and perform a clean install.  It will activate due to Windows 10 already being on your computer and Microsoft having a digital record of it.  

I only suggest this as it sounds like you might have some sort of issue preventing OS upgrades.  

The Windows 10 ISO you download will be version 1803.  

Edit:  I should add that you should save a system image before doing any of this on the off chance it doesn't work.  That way, you could simply reinstall, from the image, what you have installed now.  
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
The ISO that I downloaded for the April 30 Windows 10 update (1803) gave me the option to keep all of my programs and files ( to update) or do a clean install. 

https://www.pcsteps.com/12900-common-windows-update-problems/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=...

P.S.     As GabeU said:  I should add that you should save a system image before doing any of this on the off chance it doesn't work.  That way, you could simply reinstall, from the image, what you have installed now.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I am looking into that. I was wondering since I am on limited internet and have a metered connection, would it be wise to turn that off, before trying to do the updates?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
Dave,

If you're speaking of regular updates, as in trying to perform updates through Windows update, it may help, but if you're referring to the ISO method that Michael and I mentioned, it won't make a difference, as you don't use Windows update to download the ISO.  You download the Media Creation Tool via your browser, in the same way you download other files or programs, then download the ISO through that Media Creation Tool, choosing to either make an installation DVD or an installation USB flash drive. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Well I tried to delete the Temp Windows Installation files and do another download with Metering turned off. 1803 showed up but only made it 24% before stopping. Will download Media Creation Tool.  Saving a system image........is this like a System Restore point?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
Not like a restore point.  It completely reinstalls Windows 10, but you can choose whether to keep your files or not.

If you don't have a lot of files or 3rd party programs installed that you need to worry about and you can just save the ones you do care about, I'd go with a clean install.  With a clean install, it wipes the drive and installs Windows 10 cleanly, after which you'll have to reinstall any files or 3rd party programs you had on there before that you want on there again, like antivirus programs, office programs, pictures, videos, games, etc.  It's basically starting from scratch, but the one advantage is that it does start from scratch, in that anything that may have been giving you problems before may not be there after the clean install.   That's really the reason most people who go with a clean install choose to.  

If you choose the method that  keeps your files and such, it will reinstall Windows 10, but it won't wipe the drive.  When it's finished, it will be a "fresh" install of Windows 10, but with your files still there.  If you've got a lot of files and/or 3rd party programs that would be a real pain in the butt having to reinstall, this would be the way to go, as it will save you the hassle of having to do all of that reinstallation.

But, with this said, being that you don't have a lot of experience with this type of thing, the following may be a better option for you.  It still installs a fresh copy of Windows 10, but it's a little more user friendly.  At least take a look at it before you decide what to do.  For those that don't have much experience, this would probably be the way to go. I apologize for not mentioning it sooner, but I had completely forgotten about it.

Make sure to click on "Using the Tool" so that you can see not only how to use it, but how easy it is, as well.  

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh  
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Dave:

When we are talking about a System Image, we are talking about using some software ( there are many different tools out there) to make a complete backup copy of your hard drive, that is stored on external media, so you can revert to the original if the upgrade doesn't go well! I personally use Macrium Reflect Free for this task on most of my systems. I think another program that is highly recommended is Acronis True Image. I think Windows itself has the capability to make a system image. However, a restore point is usually stored on the Windows system itself and might not be available if something goes wrong during an update.

I think that the most difficult or confusing part of updating via the ISO route is creating the bootable media (DVD or Flash Drive) to use for the upgrade.  Again, there are many different tools available to do this job.  Google "How to create a bootable flash drive from an ISO file."

I think the Windows 10 ISO download site actually has pretty good instructions on how to do this.  It sounds a little daunting at first but if you have a good backup system image to fall back on, you should be OK.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Now today I go to Settings>Updates and it says Updates are available, but it never shows what is available or starts a download??!?
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
OK, just did a reboot and 1803 showed up. I broke down and seeing a link for RepairImage, gave them a shot. They found several issues with my windows and after it was all said and done, was able to download 1803 last night during my free time. I am up and running.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Dave, do you have your connection set to metered? Try turning that off and see if it will update then.
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I had tried that before RepairImage and it did not seem to make a difference. I did disable it last night though after the fix, it worked but not sure if it mattered. Hopefully I can stay clean and next time there are updates will try both ways.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
Glad you were able to get it updated to 1803.   I'm not familiar with "RepairImage".   Was it something you found in a Google search or on a website you were already on?  
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I had an error code show up and when I googled it seemed to remember a CNET article and they had a link.

http://www.wehatemalware.com/does-reimage-pc-repair-work-is-it-safe/

Since it worked and from some of the comments and reviews, I went ahead and removed it though from my machine
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Well, if you're concern is corrupt or damaged system files, you can open the command prompt as administrator and, type sfc /scannow to check system files. [that's sfc[SPACE]/scannow}
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
Dave,

I don't know if you have MalwareBytes installed, but if you do, I would run a scan with it.  From what I've been reading about that "Reimage" program, I don't know that I would trust it.  If it worked for you, that's great, but I would run something like MalwareBytes to make sure it didn't leave any malware on your system, which seems to be the biggest complaint about it.  
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Yes Bev, I had done that too.  I did run Avast and it was mentioned, that is why I deleted it.
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I think my issue was more corrupted files. All I know now is everything appears to be working.
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
GabeU, I had malwarebytes in the past but I guess they started charging and got rid of it. Even now I can only find what appears to be a trial that you can download for free, but eventually it become worthless unless you buy.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
It becomes On Demand after the trial period, meaning you have to initiate scans, but it still works perfectly.   Real Time vs On Demand protection is the only real difference between the paid and free versions.  
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 154 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Ahh, OK just something to run now and then. Thanks
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 424 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
There's still a free version, I use it about once a month...

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
There's still a free version, I use it about once a month...
As mentioned, it starts as a trial version of the full product,  then reverts to the free version, which is on demand.  It changed to being this way about a year or so ago.  
Photo of MEM

MEM

• 121 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
I use the paid version of Malwarebytes in real time. It is not that expensive and it has caught malware before downloading that nothing else did. Beware that it has compatibility issues with some antivirus software.
I use Hitman as a second opinion to keep my computer clean. I have not been infected ever when using the combination of Malwarebytes, AV, and Hitman.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 424 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
The pro (paid) version says it will do all of your A/V and security functions and user should uninstall any other protection programs..
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1954 Posts
  • 1204 Reply Likes
I've never used the paid version, save for the 14 day trial when I had to reinstalled it after performing a clean install of W10 1709.   I use the free version in conjunction with Webroot Antivirus, which I've found to work well and use little data (which is surprising, considering it's cloud based).  Both have kept me pretty safe, along with staying away from websites known to be rife with malware.  
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
ummmm i remembering... i had trouble getting my router to work... but some reason... i was able to make it work :3 (this was like 2 weeks ago though :/  ) plus... i have a netgear n900 (i dont know if my router was affected or not... ill check onto the netgear site to see if there is any new firmware i should update after imma done typing this :3  )

and @VeteranSatUser i think i might have to do what your doing :3 seems more of a way to reboot my modem AND my router everyday :3 THANKS FOR THE TIP!!! :3

P.S.!!! i did rebooted my router when i saw this post... soooo... i did... i think imma safe now i think... but gonna go onto the netgear website to see if there is any new firmware after imma done typing this :3
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It's just good practice to reboot devices on a regular basis.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3443 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
exactly!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3443 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Thanks wm4bama!

Unfortunately we can't reboot everyone's modem/router at once but we would strongly encourage everyone with a router to do this
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 325 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
If it wouldn't be to much to ask could you verify whether or not your companies routers have been compromised. You can't reboot everyones routers, there's an obvious technical problem there but you could inform people if your companies personal product has been compromised. you can cheerlead yay help the FBI but you could also inform the customers that are using your product if it might be advisable for them to change their passwords since the VPNfilter in question can steal your passwords. 

Ronald Stricklin

• 325 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
So is that silence a yes to being to busy?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3443 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Sorry silence is 100% because I wouldn't be the person to know one way or another. Good practice to do it every once in a blue moon.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Brad, could you maybe find out if the "geeks" over there that watch for this stuff would tell you (and allow you to tell us) if Viasat systems were compromised? I know they won't tell you everything and, won't let you tell us everything but, that's kind of a big deal.

I suspect Viasat has not been nor will be compromised give some of the contracts and, the need to keep this sort of thing out of the system. I know y'all have measures in place to prevent most infections and other compromised that happen periodically around the world.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3443 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Personally I think it's unlikely given our scope compared to like Xfinity/Comcast or any DSL providers 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
My thoughts exactly. Viasat is, I suspect, one of the top 3, if not the most secure ISPs going. Not much is going to sneak in there - can't given the scope of what Viasat does besides residential internet. :)

Ronald Stricklin

• 325 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Well, thanks. Rebooting your router regularly is just the best advice by security experts everywh.. oh nevermind. But you probably give out so actually advice. Things like changing your modems default password and username, you know since since this is something that a high majority of router users fail to do. Oh and since rebooting the router only breaks the connection with the VPNfilter and doesn't actually get rid of it you might suggest they do a factory reset.

Ronald Stricklin

• 325 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
And given your scope? That's great that you have such faith in the company you work for. However, there's nothing that would reasonably suggest to me, given your scope, that reasonably suggests your router would be more secure than... Well you mention comcast or DSL. I was thinking more along the lines of Netgear or Asus. I expect the modem end is just fine as well and better in comparison to comcast or dsl but the actual router portion of the device is more of a concern. The only thing specifically that makes that unlikely is that it's a rarer router. 
Photo of Natalie

Natalie

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have been reading that rebooting your router (in my case, I have the Viasat modem/router combination) is not enough to rid your router of any virus, that one must reset the router back to factory settings and then change default passwords, reset any settings, etc. again.  Is VIisat recommending to do the full factory reset  with the Viasat modem/router combination or not?  Instruction from VIasat would be most helpful on this issue--particularly an email to the email address on file if this is mission critical.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
Because ViaSat uses a proprietary modem/router with proprietary software, it's extremely unlikely that this issue has affected any ViaSat modems.  
Photo of Natalie

Natalie

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Great. I rebooted but it seemed extremely unlikely that this would rid a router of any virus but a reboot doesn't hurt anything and can clear junk so I at least did that. Thanks for the prompt response and it is good to know Viasat uses proprietary software.

Ronald Stricklin

• 325 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Proprietary router with proprietary software? That sure helped Asus in this situation and it's always kept virus' off of microsoft software. Perhaps you mean to say that its a closed system? I guess I should ignore that viasat hardware has been rooted as well? There's only one aspect that makes viasat's hardware safe and there's only one thing that will ever make it safe, it's rarity.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
No, I meant to say exactly what I did.  

Ronald Stricklin

• 325 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
And thus again, Most every router is developed with a specific companies proprietary design and the majority of them use proprietary software. Microsoft windows is proprietary software.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1950 Posts
  • 1201 Reply Likes
Yes, Ronald, routers use proprietary software.  My point was that ViaSat uses their own router in their modem and their own software/firmware to run that router/modem, so the chances that their devices would be at risk like commercially sold routers is about nil.  The router part of ViaSat's modem is designed to specifically work in conjunction with their modem.  Commercially available routers are different in that regard.  
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 170 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
I have my PC, monitor, Mac Mini, modem, router, and xbox all plugged into my surge protector. It's has a switch I can reach with my foot. I just hit that switch every night when I call it quits. Shuts everything down until the next morning when I hit the switch again and fire everything back up.
Photo of Natalie

Natalie

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have been told not to plug the modem or router (in my case it's the modem/router combo) into a surge protector because the surge protection can cause issues.  Have you had any issues doing this?  Viasat, can you also weigh in on this?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 937 Posts
  • 482 Reply Likes
Natalie,

Yeah, older surge protectors/powerstrips/UPS devices can provide uneven power to the modem.  The modem's power supply is already very picky, adding this to it may prevent it from supplying proper power to the modem and TRIA.  
Photo of Natalie

Natalie

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Got it. Does that mean the new ones don't have issues? I am getting ready to purchase a new battery backup surge protector so if there is a preferred brand that works, I would appreciate knowing. Thanks for the prompt response.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I do have mine on a UPS but, it's a higher end one. Co-op power here is horrible on electronics. Just in the last week 2 outages of 2 minutes or longer, 3 high voltage and, 27 low voltage - USP compensates for all of that nonsense.

I would not put it on one of those cheap surge protector strips but, a good USP, yes so long as you know the USP can provide steady power and, the voltage does not fluctuate on it's output.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 937 Posts
  • 482 Reply Likes
By older, I mean well used.  Brand new ones should work fine, as Bev says.  As they age, they tend to lose the ability to provide steady power.  At least enough for the modem to notice it.
Photo of Natalie

Natalie

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Bev and Matt, thanks.  I have co-op power here too and yesterday and today have been bad with short power outages which is very unusual for my co-op as they are generally very good.  Will get that new surge protector and backup battery power ordered this weekend.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Like any other piece of technology, you're doing amazingly well if you get 5 years out of it. (Custom built and upgraded hardware computers excepted here since one, with upgrades can last you longer.)

I replace the USP every 3 years, use the old ones for TVs, the microwave, digital clocks, things like that were it's cool to have the battery power so you don't have to reset clocks over power outages under one hour. :)

Also good for camping, charge it up off the generator or inverting in the car, kill the power source before bed, have light for an hour or two in the tent off the old USP.
Photo of Natalie

Natalie

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Mine last almost 10 years but it was a good one.  Never thought about using an old one for camping.  Great idea!
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 341 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
I like this one   OPTI-UPS ES1000C.  It handles my generator power  as well.

Bev, I replace the batteries in my UPS every few years and get a much longer life out of a UPS that way.  It saves money too.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 424 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
One advantage of being on Viasat is getting random IP addresses...A hacker will not have your IP address and to attack your router via a satellite connection is almost impossible.  The only way for sure for a hack happening to your router is from you visiting a web site that allows hidden malware or opening an email with the malware hidden in that email.