Faxing

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
i have switched from a land line from AT&T to Excede voice. Someone please tell me exactly what I need to install so that I can fax, as I cannot use my fax machine now...
Photo of Deann DeLorenzo

Deann DeLorenzo

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Knight will be by to help you soon Deann
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@ Bobbie,  Rather then telling them I will help them why don't you just help them?
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Because I had real bad luck with my phone and it wouldn't be fair to the customer. Plus I don't know anything about the phones.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
It's called research Bobbie, and the quest for knowledge and to help others, that's why you should answer :)  and sorry you had bad luck it happens.  I have a computer I'm working on at work with a bad hard drive and its only 6 months old.

Back to the topic at hand, I know some about VoIP phones because we have it at a few of our locations at work but as far as having Exede voice, don't have it and don't want it, have to many phones in the house and a phone in our shop so I would loose all those if I went with the Exede Voice service.  Now not saying anything bad about the service, just saying its not for me.  Now as far as faxing, attaching the fax to the phone adapter should work, I know that's basically how some of our offices have a fax machine connected.  The phone system we have installed converts the digital line back to an analog, just like the Exede voice adapter does, and that allows the fax to work and think its connected to a old analog phone line.  So again in theory that should work to send a fax.  

If an Exede rep wants to chime in and confirm or deny that, it would be nice to know for cretin if that's how it works or what the official exede answer is on that.
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
I feel so spanked  :)
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes

That is from their FAQ

I don't know what they mean by certain limitations, I am guessing that if you have the voice adapter connected to the exede modem you should be able to unplug your phone and connect the fax machine to send the fax and then hook your phone back up,  Now I don't know for sure if that will work, faxing over VoIP is tricky and don't always work.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Deanna, Unfortunately Exede voip services are not currently compatible with any 3rd party devices such as fax machines,there are certain limitations. For more information, feel free to send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, thank you. 
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Thats not your place Knight, your not an op here. The comment Susan made was made to an op not anyone else here.
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Bobbie, Exactly as you said, Susan was talking to an op (not sure what "op" stands for literally but I assume you mean someone who works here or a moderator or some other employee?), and it would have been more appropriate to direct her message only to that person.  As soon as she puts it in some unrelated discussion, it stands out as odd, and that is why I commented on it in the first place.  I am not an op here either, but I enjoy reading and commenting in discussions, and I don't think it is a good idea to bring negative interactions with other people into discussions that have nothing to do with that.  I find it distracting and uncomfortable so it takes away from my focus on and enjoyment of the subject.  It's kind of like when you are in a group of people and 2 of them suddenly start having some kind of public argument that doesn't concern the rest of the group.  Not appropriate and inconsiderate of the rest of the group.  You don't have to be an employee or moderator to comment, in a respectful way, about how you feel about what is going on in a discussion.  The same way you have a right to disagree with what I am saying if you choose to.  
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
If she was talking to anyone else besides a exede moderator I would agree with you Lorrie but thats who she was talking to, thats abouve both of us. It's nothing one way or the other she doesn't come in that often and I guess she wanted to say what she had to say. And like she said your comments were hours apart so there wasn't any interruption. Of course unless some folks want it to look like that. Right knight? At any means I'm kinda of like her I'm out of this nothing positive can come from this sort of thing.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Bobbie, I respect your opinion. the issue of when comments came in isn't relevant to me. I didn't say anything was interrupted. when I saw what was written, I immediately felt a little anxious/distressed about what the heck is going on here. it's not about interruption so much as the effect of such words which were meant for one individual and not for the forum.   Not something I needed or wanted to hear in a discussion about faxing using VOIP. But that said,  don't know if there is any 100% "right" answer.  Someone would have to write the Complete Internet Book on Proper Online Decorum (I am kidding about that--am sure it is impossible!)  However I tend to think that communications like this, while sometimes awkward or uncomfortable, can be good in the long run, as long as people are sincere and respectful in what they say, and I know you are that.  Thank you.
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Not a problem Lorrie we have talked before and got along fine, Susan is a good person and I'm sure like most texans like myself she just goes for the horses mouth lol well it's that way, It has rained every day except one for the last 35 days where I live so I can see how short feelings can get. But my exide is working just fine. It's bed time so have a good night. waves
Photo of Deann DeLorenzo

Deann DeLorenzo

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
If I purchase a external fax modem and use windows fax program will that work?
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
well see I think that works the same way, say you have a copier and not a all in one printer you would then use the computers dial-up modem to send the fax rather then sending it directly from the printer.  So if they say faxing is not supported then that would not work either,  Now you could scan it to your computer and email it to someone but if they have to have it faxed I'm not sure what the solution would be to send it from your house with out having to go to like Staples or OfficeMax to send the fax.
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Efax may be your answer. I have been using it for several years and it has eliminated any need for a fax machine . . .  and it saves paper. Check out http://webseasoning.com/technology/10-best-free-online-fax-services/1106/
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Ok makes sense, I can see the delay could cause a time out issue or something thx Lindsey!
Photo of Deann DeLorenzo

Deann DeLorenzo

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
thanks everyone for the answers.. and comments.... I understand that my old fax machine will not work...My question is...Can I purchase a fax modem, install it, and use the windows program in my pc?
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I answered you above on that question and from the rest the comments it looks like you will have to use one of those services or use a public fax machine somewhere
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Deann, I have Exede voice and as I said below, lost my ability to fax when I switched to this voip phone service from my former landline.  That includes my not being able to fax using the microsoft pc fax system on my laptop.  
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Guess thats part of the difference in having a T1 line for VoIP phone service and converting it back to analog at work over satellite service.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Well Deann back to my original statement, in theory it should work but faxing over VoIP especially a satellite VoIP connection is tricky. Only way to see if it works is to try it. That's how theories are proven or dis proven :)

The again Lindsey for the info!!
(Edited)
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 90 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I use a service called hellofax it costs me $10.00 bucks a month and it gives me 300 pages a month that also gives me a fax number as well. I use my bother mfc AIO to scan in all the pages I need to fax make a pdf file upload that to the service then I get an email when the fax is sent or any other error and so forth.
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Since I switched to Exede voice and got rid of my landline, I have been unable to find any way to get faxes to work...I read up on the subject and did change some settings on my fax machine to what is recommended when using VOIP, but none of these things worked for me.  I have found 2 free online fax services which allow me to fax 3 pages at a time for free.  this works fine for me since I don't fax more than that most of the time.  The services I have been using are www.faxzero.com and www.gotfreefax.com.
LorrieL
Photo of Deann DeLorenzo

Deann DeLorenzo

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
OMG.  this community is ridiculous.  I asked a simple question, a technical one, and had to search for the answer between all the drama.  You people , so called "experts" really need to drop the attitudes and help instead of using up my time and email so vent your problems.  Thank you for those who DID answer my question.  The rest of you...Grow up.  I will certainly unfollow this community thing, and would not recommend it to anyone that uses it to get a simple question answered.  I would rather just call  SMH
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 90 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Deann DeLorenzo I do understand where you are coming from with your post and YES a lot of these posters need to do that. This is to suppose to be a place to ask for help and get it not a flippn rant. I may not be a so call "champion" but as everyone can see by my post count I don't live n this forum if I can not fix/correct something on my own then this is the place of LAST resort. For the love pete give us all a break and stop living your lives on this forum.......
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Deann, your reaction seems overly harsh and judgmental to me.  and a LOT more "dramatic" than anything else I have seen written in this discussion.  Not to mention very rude and critical.  also, in my opinion, incorrect.
but of course you are entitled to your opinion.
It occurred to me to tell you that most discussions are much more to the point and without drama, but something tells me that things in your own life might be causing you to lash out this way....just a thought.
LorrieL
Photo of Susan B

Susan B

• 37 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Nice post Lorrie it's what I was thinking, I never expected the post from me to a moderator to be blown out of proportion like this. As to Beaus comment awhile back that they encourage conversation I have every right to speak to a moderator. This should mean nothing to anyone else, The fax question was answered several times, a fax service is best bet and why in the world would anyone sign a contract and hook up without asking questions. I stop by very little and will not be discouraged to speak beings I'm a paying customer and have ever right to voice my opinion. Which is I think after several days of a question being acknowledged the tread should be cut,   because there isn't many on board answers anymore it's all direction to the moderators who never share the fix. That being said your guys take care and share what information you have.  I will apologize for the witch hunt that started and state I had no control over it. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Susan, yes I agree and my sense of humor is finally kicking in and this has gotten downright hilarious!  I do wonder what causes some people to use the internet to pounce on strangers and lambast them and tell them what they are doing wrong with their entire "lives"....I bet we'd all be shocked a lot of the time if we really knew what was going on in the lives of people who post here, and how wrong we are in our superficial impressions based on what is written in some postings.  Telling someone to "get a life" seems to me just to be a way to vent anger and insult them.  It is in my opinion meanspirited and I wonder what causes people to do that. 
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Mine humor has kicked in to Lorrie, look at the original post to Lindsey from Susan it was very professional and to the point and apparently she had a reason to respond like she did, and this is good now why There was so much flair up who knows? I think a few try for the ( show )  but thats alright maybe that is all the attention they get. I'm happy that exede is doing as well as it is we have had sever storms and it does well. Ok take care and a fax service is best.
Photo of Deann DeLorenzo

Deann DeLorenzo

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
seriously?
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Out of all due respect Deann it looks pretty simple to me, an exede employee ( Lindsey ) told you exactly as follows.  quote ~ 
   (   There will be a delay thus the connection to the fax will more than likely be missed and will not go through, as a result, we cannot support it. )  And no less that two viewers recommend a fax service that apparently they were happy with. I signed up for one of these fax services after viewing this info. and it works well. I hope this works as well for you as it does me because this way you can keep your phone. Take care. I did my research Knight and the fax system works well thank you so much for the suggestion.