Faster than dialup

• Praise
  • Updated 6 months ago
I just downloaded a 248 MB file in less than five minutes.  Can't download stuff that quick with dialup!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1422 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Two days ago I was lucky to hit 2Mbps on this speedtest!

Today:

What is going on???
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Working towards that median speed :).

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
That was the first time in over six weeks that it has been that high.  They have a LOT of catching up to do!!  Best test prior to this was about 16Mbps, about 2 weeks ago.  I am on the 30Mbps Gold 150 plan.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Well then you need 60Mbps!

I can get the 30 Gold. Wonder if that would be Viasat-2 or 1? Then I would go from 487kbps to 60Mbps in how many seconds?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
If Viasat can’t deliver the speeds you are paying for now, what makes you think giving them more money would make things any better?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
An email...
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hey Michael... I can't remember whereabouts you live, but I remember we're beam-neighbors. I thought you might find this article interesting:  https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2018/Q3/report-broadband-access-would-benefit-rural-areas,-state.html
(Edited)

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Sophie Mae...I'm a little SE of Kokomo.  Thanks for sharing that link.  Duke Energy is my electrical supplier.  Saw where someone on here said they were getting fiber within the next week or two.  Sigh!!!    Sure would be nice!!  Have you been impacted much by these Viasat changes?  

edit:   Just read down a bit. Guess johnny c was the one I was talking about!
(Edited)
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I guess Tipmont REMC is going to start laying fiber in the Romney, Linden, and New Richmond areas to bring broadband to over 1,200 homes: 
https://tipmont.org/news/item/fiber-internet-update

I live in Warren County. I sent an email to our REMC asking if they'd heard about the efforts of Tipmont, etc... and the general manager responded that the board had met to discuss what could be done to get fast internet service in our neck of the woods. I need to touch base with him, as that was several months ago. 

As for the Viasat changes: yes, we've been impacted. The first impact was when Viasat2 was being touted as The Next Best Thing To Sliced BreadTM, then the second impact was with the recent changes to the Freedom and grandfathered "Unlimited" plans (I'm on the Silver 25 150GB plan).

The first impact was most likely due to the beam becoming congested with the unlimited plans which preceded Viasat2 coming online, which I'm sure you noticed, too.

The second impact has left us with speeds so slow during prime time as to be nearly unusable. It's not all that groovy during the day M-F either, but it's allowed me to work from home when I needed to. 

When I first switched over to Viasat from HughesNet, it was fantastic. The first year or so was positively groovy. Then it all kinda went to Hades in a handbasket. :(

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Just tested with Speedtest.  Almost 35Mbps down and over 5Mbps up.  Much better than the last few weeks!  Although, this weekend was pretty      s   l   o   w.  I'm on the Gold 30 150 plan.  
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 356 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Back in the 90's i asked one of my students, who worked for Verizon, when could we expect to get DSL out where i live, his response was, "Never", he was correct, never offered in our area.

Tonight, Viasat: 1.5 Mbps down, I've only used 12 G of my 150, too bad it is so pitiful in the evening.

But on a brighter note, the power company came out yesterday and marked the under ground FIOS cable path to my home.  Today they had a couple of crews stringing the FIOS cable from one pole to the next on the state roads and to the last pole on my lane. (the rest will be underground, because i have an underground power line as well, after the last pole they will run the underground for 1000 feet free.  To the pole was free, and since i am 998 feet from that pole the installation is free.)

So probably in 6 to 8 weeks, or sooner we should be on FIOS.

This service was never expected, the Broad Band initiative and the heads up work by our rural power company is making this a reality.

My so called 150G Silver 25 Mbps plan yields reasonable speeds during the day time hours, but as you all know after 5 PM it is ridiculously slow.

I am opting for the 2nd tier FIOS, 100 Mbps, unlimited data for 100 dollars a month.

They have a 50 Mbps, unlimited data for 74 dollars and the 1GB speed plan is 179 dollars a month.

Most Dish and Directv subscribers are cancelling and just doing the a la cart streaming, I'll see the performance before cancelling our Directv..

I hope some of your counties, power companies get with the program.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1945 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
You lucky bugger!!!  Fiber is a dream that will never happen where I live.  I have a better chance of getting cable, and the chance of that is 0.00000001%.  
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
If the measuring stick is still dial-up in 2019 that should tell you all you need to know folks.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 865 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
The measuring stick is not dial up. Some customers have access to slower DSL connections and prefer to go with Viasat instead.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2720 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
What fmj77 said.  I was never using dialup as a measuring stick.  People come here all the time stating that Viasat is slower than dialup.  I was simply pointing out that I could never ever download a 248 mb file so quickly back in the dialup days.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Nor were files that big :)

Heck even hard drives were not that big, if you even had one!
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2720 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
My first hard drive was on a 386 and was something like 130 mb.  Eventually we upgraded to a 486 with a 1.2 gb hard drive.  Those were the good old days of dialup.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Think I can remember a 5 or 10MB hard drive back in the early 80's. Was on the schools computer.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
My first computer was a 286 with 512 KB of memory and a 10 MB hard drive. That was in the mid 80s.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I didn't get my first IBM compatible computer until the early 90's. I paid way too much for it. Actually bought it at Sears of all places because of a financing special they had. That was my first computer with a hard drive.

For most of the 80's, I used Atari computers, both the 800 and the ST. They were good for gaming, which I did a LOT back then. Never had a modem where you placed the phone handset on, and never had the cassette loader. They were still available, but going out when I got my first computer.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2720 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
Got my first computer at Sears. It was a 100% IBM compatible machine made by Packard Bell.

I’ll never forget the words that were displayed during POST every time you would power up the machine,
“America grew up listening to us, it still does.”
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1945 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
I got my first IBM clone as a gift from my in laws to myself and my wife (now ex).  It was a P166 with 8MB of RAM and a 1.2GB HDD.  This was in 1996, I believe.  

I bought my own first computer in either 1998 or 1999.  It was an eMachines 366i.  A 366Mhz Celeron with 32MB RAM and a 4.3GB HDD.  It was actually a very good computer.  I got it on the cheap with the $400 instant rebate for signing up for three years of MSN dialup, which I would have needed, anyway.  So, it was like getting $400 off for doing nothing.  

And, a sliver lining to choosing that computer is that, years later, there was a class action suit against eMachines that had to do with the floppy drives used on their computers, with the 366i included.  Darn near every model with a floppy drive was included.  You could choose a $62.50 check or $365 worth of computer related merchandise from this site they set up.  I chose the latter and ended up getting my Acer Aspire V5-122P-0889.  It was refurbished, but you wouldn't know it.  Granted, it's a slow computer, but for free?  Heck yeah!  I do wish I would have not been so impatient and had waited a day or two for a better model to be listed, but oh well.  Again, it was free, so what do I care?  LOL.   

It sure does pay to register your products.  :)  

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
"A 366Mhz Celeron " ???

Maybe a 366Mhz Pentium?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2720 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
Celeron processors were pretty amazing for the time. The originals were basically Pentium 2 processors minus the cache memory. They still performed pretty dang good. Eventually Intel was able to shrink the cache and put it directly on the chip. Celeron got the on die cache and it performed just as good as the Pentium 2 processors that had double the cach on the slot 1 board instead of on the die.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 92 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
366 Celeron, I picked out one of those for some family. At the time, pretty fast.

First, TI keyboard type with cartridge slot. Second, Packard Bell from Sears, 40MB hard drive, I think a 286, 12 MHz. Third, Gateway p120, I think 16mb ram. Fourth, Dell p4 1.8 with 512mb rdram. 5, 6, 7 self assembled.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2720 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
If I remember correctly, the early Celerons were very easy to overclock.

It wasn’t difficult to take a 300 MHz processor and overlock it to 450 MHz. All you had to do was go in the BIOS and change the bus speed from 66 MHz to 100 MHz. Of course, your SDRAM had to be PC100 for it to work.

It was a very nice trade off for the lack of cache on the early processors.

Those were the days back when technology was still fun. Now we take for granted the disposable super computers that fit in our pockets.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1945 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
"A 366Mhz Celeron " ??? Maybe a 366Mhz Pentium?
Nope.  It was definitely a Celeron.  It worked very well for the time.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1945 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
Now we take for granted the disposable super computers that fit in our pockets.
Pretty much.  Heck, my Raspberry Pi outperforms that eMachines by leaps and bounds, and it costs $35, plus the micro sd card, which is nearly four times the capacity and so much faster.  :) 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2720 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
Yep. The 366 MHz Celeron ran on a 66 MHz bus with a 5.5x multiplier. They definitely existed and could easily be overclocked to 550 MHz in a 100 MHz bus with some good PC100 SDRAM.

By that time, all Celerons had integrated cache as well.
(Edited)
Photo of Chuck Mayo

Chuck Mayo

• 35 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Last week, a 40mb file took me 2 hours 22 minutes to download. That's faster than dialup, too!
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Dial up didn't drop out a dozen times a day for up to 2 hours at a time like my VIASAT did.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1422 Reply Likes
You never experienced a busy signal when trying to dial in? Busy signals were pretty common amongst most providers once AOL started charging a flat rate of $20 a month.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
I had Netzero “free for life”, though sadly they don’t honor that agreement anymore.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
No busy signal on dial-up. I did not have AOL. My brief experience with dial up I had MSN which quickly dropped dial up service, but I was lucky back in the day to live in the city in Southern California where DSL through the phone company was available before most people got it. I think that DSL was something like 786K but it blew away the VIASAT I had here 95% of the time.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
AOL used to be so evil, my mom had it with automatic payments tied to a credit card. When she died I called them to cancel service, they told me only the subscriber or an authorized agent could cancel and I would have to mail them documents showing I was the executor of her estate. I just cancelled the credit card. I think AOL has lower morals than VIASAT if that can be believed.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3443 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
The anxiousness of seeing if the AOL guy makes it to his friends while connecting. Then like my aunt will call or something and drop the connection. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1422 Reply Likes
Yep. I remember getting really upset when my connection to AOL dropped. You knew it would take at least another 30 minutes or so to get back online due to the busy signals.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Way back in the day, the phone company would automatically drop a connection on calls that extended beyond 2 hours, because who would talk longer than that :).

Imagine losing your internet today after 2 hours. Lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1422 Reply Likes
I had relatives that couldn’t even use dialup internet because they were on a party line.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I was to busy playing Playstation to bother with internet at that time lol
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1949 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
I had relatives that couldn’t even use dialup internet because they were on a party line. 
I didn't even know party lines still existed when dialup started.  

I always thought it was funny when I would see one of those 900 number ads for being able to have a bunch of people talking at the same time, or just when someone wanted to listen in on other people talking to each other.  I thought, "Oh, so now they're charging $1.99 per minute for a party line?"  LOL.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Party lines still in the 70's. Dont remember them still in 80's. Still was rotary in 80's and some touch phones could be switched to dial either way.

Where is my acoustic modem!!!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Telephone Party Lines Were Once High Entertainment...By 2000, according to USA Today, there were still over 5,000 party lines still in existence in the U.S., but the majority of them were hooked up to only one remaining household.

Major carriers wiped them out, but smaller telcos may still have them.  I'm aware of a person still with a party line.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Tommy Tutone - 867-5309/Jenny
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1422 Reply Likes
I’m pretty sure my cousins in northern Louisiana didn’t get private phones until cell phones became common.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Nor the internet.

That is why your speeds are so good. If nobody uses the beam, more bandwidth for you!!!
(Edited)
Photo of Ricky5

Ricky5

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Faster than dialup ain’t saying much.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 865 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
"Faster than dial up" is not an accurate comparison between Viasat and dial up. I downloaded a 35GB game a couple of week ago in a little over 5 hours over my satellite connection. If you tried doing that with dial up it would still be downloading after you're dead.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1945 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
It would take roughly 87 days to download 35GB on a 40Kbps dialup connection.  Can you imagine?  Three months!!!  LOL.

And I thought performing one of the major Windows 10 updates would be awful.

On my old HughesNet legacy plan it would have taken 52 hours.  SMH.  Now it would take me less than two.    
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 865 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
Gabe, and that is assuming that your dial up connection doesn't disconnect during that period. Mine could never go more than a couple of hours without losing the connection.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
My dial up connection never was better than 18 Kbps, and as fmj77 mentioned, it typically would drop the connection after two hours. The ISP owner said that was programmed into his system so others could have a chance at getting on the internet. And all those times I would get that dreaded busy signal, no thanks. No more dial up for me.

Viasat works great for me, it is either Viasat or Hughesnet, no other options available at my house in the country.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1945 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
18Kbps?  WOW.  I thought the 30-35Kbps I would get with AOL back in 2002-2004 was bad.  It wouldn't drop out a lot, but it would drop out.  

When I had satellite internet installed I was happy as a lark.  The difference was amazing.  Well, the second day, anyway, as on the first day my upload speed was about 200Kbps and my download speed about 50Kbps.  The lady I talked to said she had never seen that before and switched me to a different transponder.  Whether what she said was true or not, who knows, but what she did fixed the issue.  Then I was happy as a lark.  LOL.  
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 309 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Not too bad for Liberty plan during prime time.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1422 Reply Likes
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1949 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
When I first got internet it back in 96/97 it was from GTE.  Their application came on four or five floppies.  

By the time I got my eMachines desktop the MSN internet service that I chose came with it as a pre-installed application, though I can't remember if, at that point, I really needed to use it, or if I could use the built in dialer.  

How times change.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1422 Reply Likes
Sounds like Gabe is a newbie.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1949 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
A newbie?  Well, if you mean that I didn't first go online until 1996, then I guess I am.  But, when it comes to the internet, I wouldn't doubt that I got on earlier than the vast majority alive today.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 865 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
The first time I ever got online was in 1995 or 1996. My dad was one of the first customers in his town to have it. I don't remember ever having to use a floppy or a CD though.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1949 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
I first went online in '96, using my brother in law's computer, but then my wife and I got one as a gift from her parents and we signed on in 1996. 

I remember dating this girl in 1993, with her telling me about this America Online thing and going into something called a chat room.  I had absolutely no clue what she was talking about, even though she did her best to describe it.  Had I realized what she meant I probably would have asked her to show me at her house.  Still, I wouldn't have been able to afford a computer back then, and where I was living at the time, being out on own for pretty much the first time, I wouldn't have wanted to have one.  I do remember the girl telling me that her father was really angry that she was jacking up the phone bill so much with going online, as it was by the hour at the time.  

Later, though, I loved chat rooms.  Yahoo Chat, and the rooms that you could create yourself, were awesome!  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Traveling this weekend. While the hotel wifi was only 10Mbps or so, the latency is so low its amazing. You dont realize how bad satellite latency is until you have a terrestrial connection
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 865 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
The WiFi at my work is a DSL connection that tops out at around 6Mbps, but the ping is around 40ms. It seems light years faster than my Viasat connection even when congestion on my beam is down.
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

DavidBrowserGuy, Browser Expert

• 127 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Have you tried the Viasat Browser?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I bounce back/forth from Sat to Jetpack....download time really depends upon what site/activity. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes

I am not talking about download times.  I am talking about response times when you select an action on a website. 
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

• 127 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
The Viasat Browser was developed to mitigate the effects of satellite latency.  It can be downloaded from https://browser.viasat.com.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Thanks. But it is based on Chromium.
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

• 127 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
It is based on Chromium, but we made it faster and more private.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I hear good things about it!

Anything is better than Edge :).
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1945 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
It even works for me, though I only tried it.  LOL.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@ DavidBrowserGuy

Using this video, configured to 1080p, Google Chrome was smooth, but Viasat Browser was stop and go-ish, while using VZW via Jetpack, which is consistent at 20Mbps DL (speed tests).  At 720p, VB was OK

Chrome displays the total page, while VB does not load remainder of page below, at least on right hand side, for sure.  Let me know if you catch this.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1945 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
Wanna hear something crazy?  When my service is experiencing congestion, like usually happens in the evenings, I often have better luck playing YouTube videos in 1080p vs 480p.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's quite often the case when the service is congested enough, or slow enough, for it to negatively affect YouTube vids.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Just making comments on VB, which might be creating an issue by blocking content...I'd have to evaluate further, but maybe Vimeo was resending some page elements, over and over.

Normally, when possible, I download vids....720p is more than enough on my end.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Try reporting it as an issue go to: viasat://help/ from within the Viasat Browser.

Or as the FAQ's state at https://browser.viasat.com/faq#i-don't-see-my-question-listed.-what-should-i-do:

If you have a question or issue not already addressed, we are here to help. Please email us at browser@viasat.com and we will get back to you with an answer or solution to help make your Viasat Browser experience the best possible.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
10-4 CO
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

• 127 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
We will take a look.
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

• 127 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
@Jab

You have identified 2 separate issues, which we have replicated here.

• In an upcoming release, Viasat Browser will include support for hardware accelerated video decode, which should eliminate the stop-and-go-ish behavior with 1080p rendering that you are now seeing.  Viasat Browser is currently built off of Chromium 70; there is a new feature in Chromium 72 that supports this functionality and our team is already working on a version of Viasat Browser that is built off of that Chromium version.
  • The right hand side will load if you hit refresh, but that it didn’t load in the first place is a bug that the team is actively looking into right now and will address in an upcoming release.

Thanks for bringing both of these issues to our attention!!
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

• 127 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
@Jab

You have identified 2 separate issues, which we have replicated here.

• In an upcoming release, Viasat Browser will include support for hardware accelerated video decode, which should eliminate the stop-and-go-ish behavior with 1080p rendering that you are now seeing.  Viasat Browser is currently built off of Chromium 70; there is a new feature in Chromium 72 that supports this functionality and our team is already working on a version of Viasat Browser that is built off of that Chromium version.
  • The right hand side will load if you hit refresh, but that it didn’t load in the first place is a bug that the team is actively looking into right now and will address in an upcoming release.

Thanks for bringing both of these issues to our attention!!

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
HA!  So even you guys double post!
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

• 127 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
ugh!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 309 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Are there places that still offer dial-up service? I live in a very rural area of PA, and out dial-up all disappeared probably 20 years ago when DSL was offered.

Things are going pretty good this morning. Not bad for a 12 Mbps plan. I have come to believe that your average speed in inversely proportional to the number of complaints you post to the forum. LOL.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I hear some places still have dial up but I couldn't tell you if my area still has it. If they do, I don't know anybody who has it.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
Y’all act like it isn’t possible to make a long distance phone call for dialup.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 309 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Make a long distance phone call for dialup??? What does that mean?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
Dial 1 plus the area code and then the number.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 309 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Which has nothing to do with ISP provided dialup service...
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
It has everything to do with ISP provided dialup. Believe it or not, dialup is available nation wide provided you have a landline with a clean signal.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
My closest neighbor had dial up up to a couple years ago, it was the slowest dial up I ever saw. She would use it to mostly down load recipes as she sold baked goods at farmer's markets. It sometimes took up to 5 minutes to load a page. They then were on Hughes Net for a while and now are on AT & T Wireless. They say the AT & T beats Hughes Net. looks unlike VIASAT Hughes Net doesn't wanted aged transponders back. I see old dishes completely intact from Hughes Net in areas that now have cable. I think cable is still 3 miles away from me, no way it makes it here in my lifetime.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 309 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
I rode dialup from 4800 all the way to 56K ... and then DSL came along and it was an easy switch.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1948 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
Y’all act like it isn’t possible to make a long distance phone call for dialup.
With the exception of someone who has ultra cheap dialup and rarely uses it, and then only for specific reasons, what does it matter? 

The majority of people who can still get dialup have it on a local number.  I don't know anyone who would be crazy enough to have dialup via a long distance number, except in the above instance, so the fact that someone can dial long distance to get access is kind of a moot point. 

Just because one can doesn't mean they would, or at least not under most circumstances.    
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1948 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
I think cable is still 3 miles away from me, no way it makes it here in my lifetime.
It's most likely the same for me, and in my case it's less than a mile.  Unless they're forced to by some new law, the few houses on my road aren't worth the cost to them. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1421 Reply Likes
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 865 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
Dial up is still available in my area of NW North Carolina. The phone lines are actually in pretty good shape from what I hear and ATT does a good job of maintaining them. I only know of a few people that have it though. Most either have satellite internet or nothing.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
The real question is who still makes a modem????
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 865 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
True. New machines don't come with a dial up modem anymore. But I've seen adapters at Staples and Walmart that work via USB.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I remember when laptops started leaving out the floppy disk drive (with wasn't even floppy by the late 80's). I was like how could you do without a disk!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1948 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
VetSat,

I actually took the modems out of two of my old computers as I could see where connections were going at the time.  One is with a shorter back plate, as it came out of an old Gateway micro tower, but I could still make it work.  The other one is normal sized and came out of a Dell Dimension E521.  The only problem would be if MS ended support in future Windows versions.  Then again, there's always Linux.  

I can still get dialup here from a few different companies, including AOL.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1948 Posts
  • 1200 Reply Likes
fmj77, 

Those USB modems work pretty well.  My folks used one for AOL with their laptop from 2011 until 2016.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 865 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
Yeah. I used one as well up until around 2012 or 2013 when I still had a landline. I kept dial up as a backup in case I had a problem with Exede.