Fast vs all other speed test

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I did this can I am sure others are tired of that thread, I know I am..  

I will be contacting support, cause Viasat Listens can not pass a ticket on, about the fact that I am only at 1.1 to 1.2 on Fast.com and all other speedtest I am between 8 and 20 mbps based on time of day.. 

Just to try it again so I am 100% sure, I got another trial to a VPN and my speed jumped up on Fast.com, not to the same speeds but I was at 6mbps on Fast.com..  

So 100% this is Viasat...  and listens cannot help.. and I do not want to pay for something else, aka vpn, to get what I should be getting..  at least 3 mbps worth..
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 189 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 189 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
As there is no change at this point,  I am not commenting on changes...

But I would like to point out that due to some that maybe trying to assist and more or less just confusing things..

Viasat Modem by itself and the service I am getting is not working with the Streaming service.  Period.  End of story..  We have tried and done everything that everyone has suggested and tried.. Beyond throwing it out in the field..

The Netgear was added at the end in an attempt for something better, it has no bearing on my issue, it has remained the same from the beginning and still is..

Now after weeks I have communication with someone that is communicating with me and I believe is giving me insight as to what I am facing, even if I do not like it, I would rather know the truth..  When I do know more I will share...

Jim, Old Labs, Matt, Brad and a few others I really appreciate the ideas and even suggestions.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3166 Reply Likes
Please keep us posted with any updates. We are all curious what you find out.
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 189 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I have received an update..  

First, I would like to give a shout out to David, the person that is working with others to assist me.. 

Second, it seems that the team is able to replicate the issue and are looking into ways to resolve the issue.  

This make me feel better, this lets me know that someone has proven the issue and now even if it takes a little time, the Viasat team is helping me and working in the right direction.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3166 Reply Likes
It is sad it took so long to get the attention of the right person.

That is one criticism I have of Viasat. If it wasn't for some engineers trolling these forums, situations like this (and some others I can think of in the past) would never make it up the chain to the right people to get attention.

I understand engineers' time is valuable, but if there was a better way of reporting errors other than to send an email or calling first level customer service, that would be advantageous for us customers.
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 189 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I agree completely,, and because their time is valuable and we need for them to have the time to do good things to make sure it all works...

Makes me even more Appreciative of David.. 
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

DavidBrowserGuy, Browser Expert

• 119 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser - You have hit on a core issue that we are seeking to address more systemically.  There is a team that is working on envisioning a better way.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3166 Reply Likes
That's good. I don't expect an engineer to look at every issue reported, but if they can be sorted and prioritized somehow (sort of like medical triage) that would be a good start.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
No service means a call obviously but, perhaps a diagnostic check off that we as customers can tick problems in would help screen our issues.

The basic reporting now simply tests for a connection, weather and network outages, if that's all good, it reports good when in fact there may still be a problem.

For example, I had corrosion in a connection, a pin hole sized tear in the cable and my speed had degraded. An on sight technician found it all and, corrected it for me but, had I been able to check off that speed was uncharacteristically slow and, I was seeing more rain fade than in the past, that could have pointed even an automated system to prompt me to go see if there was corrosion and, to examine the visible part of the cable carefully for small tears and abrasions. I could have done that and reported back to the automated that I had found both thus allowing the automated app or online system to kick me into scheduling a service call.

In that case, I would have done it all myself, saving Viasat man hours and money and, avoiding the need for you to hire more people or even train reps on more technical matters. The service technician would have known before leaving his shop what was wrong and what he needed to bring to fix the problems. Would have saved him a good hour of troubleshooting and, trial and error on site. That's a plus on Easy Care calls especially.

On a related note, maybe Easy Care could be offered on a lifetime deal like the lease can be. Say 400.00 one time for Lifetime Easy Care. Some people love those lifetime deals, that's actually just a bit more than the cost of Easy Care for five years.
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 189 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Well, I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting this, both as myself and with all three tiers of Viasat support..

The Engineers even confessed that there is an issue with the Traffic system for the Resolution limiting plan.. It was supposed to be fixed in a few weeks,  

Well it has been Months...   and I am in a Contract until Nov 2019..  I really just want my internet and if I am paying for a certain level, I really would like to have it.. Frankly, I think the issue is that the coding to limit the resolution was not finished and was rushed and it does not work completely correct.. and instead of focusing on it, they have what they feel is larger issues or just do not know how to fix it..
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
ManySome of us would agree with your assessment Ricky - it's a server related issue and a fragile video detection algorithm IMHO further exacerbated by congestion issues on Viasat-1 - as I recall that's what bird you're on. As also recall your issue was/is an inability to ever (or rarely) achieve the "typically 720P" claim made on the Silver plan - except by evading the video detection with VPN at an even greater data cost.
(Edited)
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 189 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Just to publicly mention..  

After Months, a few refunds to help, and a very helpful person trying to assist in passing information..

Still having Netflix Traffic issues.. and well,, a huge bill to night be able to stream Netflix..