Slow speeds

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further agent response.

According to sales and Excede website I should be getting 14Mbs+ but I'm getting *far less*. The price for only 10Mbps and the actual speed make for a bad service.
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
  • disappointed I signed up, now I'm stuck for 2 years

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3183 Posts
  • 2048 Reply Likes
Have you tried your speed test using http://testmy.net/  This is a much more accurate test site. Select the 12 MB test size for best results.

The ping time of 700 or so milliseconds is normal for satellite internet, the signal must travel to and from the satellite which is located 22,500 miles from earth. It is simply physics, and can't be changed.

Also, have you looked at the modem status page?  http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus

The important ones are the Rx SNR should be at least 5, and the Cable Resistance less than 5 ohms
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
If it's more accurate, then I'm get even LESS than than my quoted speed:

starstarstarstarstar   down arrow Download :: 2.5 Mbps 314 kB/s
gradientgradient  Your Speed :: 2.5 Mbps
gradientgradient 80% slower than your Host average 12.5 Mbps
gradientgradient 83% slower than your City average 14.8 Mbps
gradientgradient 86% slower than the US average 18 Mbps
gradientgradientTMN 68% slower than the Index 7.9 Mbps

X
You might have a problem...

Yeah, I have a problem alright -  I'm using exede.  Yes I've looked at the "modem" address already.  The Rx SNR is 9.2 dB, and the cable resistance is 3 ohms.  I wasn't expecting anything fantastic for the ping time, as the signal has to travel much further via satellite, however I WAS expecting a better speed rating.  I'm paying for 12Mbps, getting 2 - 3.5, I should be paying for that level of service instead..
(Edited)

• 3179 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Moejj, with those results for speed tests using both websites, you do have a problem. Your modem stats do look very good, so there is a problem with the hardware, and you should send an email to the moderators at exedelistens@viasat.com explaining what you have posted here. They will be able to direct your situation to the technical department. They can look at much more information about your modem and tria from their end with diagnostic software. You certainly should be getting much more speed than you are, and the problem may also be the reason your data being consumed at a high rate. The Exede moderators are very helpful, unlike the CSD people you call on the phone.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Moejj,

All speeds are up to.  Exede12:  12 Mbps downstream / 3 Mbps upstream.

I will be more than happy to view your account details and check the status of your modem.  If I detect a problem, I'll get you over to our Technical Department for further troubleshooting.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.  
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I know what package of service I am paying for, thank you for the reminder.

Are you implying that 2.5 - 3 Mpbs d/l with 512Kbps u/l  is standard  or to be expected?  Really?  Allow me to not so humbly point out what the rate of expectation is.

Here's taken from Exede:

What is normal speed?>Exede–12 Mbps, Evolution and Business
·      Excluding the evening hours, you should see 12 Mbps per second download on at least one speed test.
·      During the evening hours, you should see 8-10 Mbps down/2 Mbps up or better on at least one speed test
·      Speed tests results showing less than 10 Mbps down/2 Mbps up outside of the evening hours is considered out of normal range. Less than 8 Mbps per second during evening hours is also considered out of the normal range. 
·      Less than 1 Mbps down indicates you may have exceeded your data allowance, if there are no other problems found with your service. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Moejj, thanks for posting this...I had been looking for specific info indicating what range of speeds are considered normal at different times and hadn't seen this before.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Moejj, what Karmin was referring to, in your initial post you said 14mbs, not 12mbs, presumably a type-o, but she was just correcting that, no need to be sarcastic.

There are countless issues, including, but not limited to, exede (or any ISP) that can result in slow speeds.  The only way to truly determine what is your cause is to call their technical support, if it's an issue with their equipment, they will address it, if it's not, you complaining here about issues with your own equipment is neither helpful nor productive.
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I'll break it down for you. This is a discussion board. I am a paying customer. I am not getting what I am paying a premium price for. I will sound off. If there are sooo many issues with this technology which are soo commonplace as you make it seem to appear, the customer needs to be made aware of this prior to being locked into a 2 year contract under a false pretense of adequate performance. If I agreed to pay 65 a month to be forced to use public wireless, which, if you misunderstand - I did NOT- I would have nothing to be upset about. If you don't like my complaint, you are welcome to cover my 65 dollar monthly bill, otherwise move along, and do not reply to my posts with worthless banter which does not assist anyone faced with paying for a broken product/service.
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Sure sound off, but that doesn't have to include being rude to people.  You can get your point across better by calling attention to the PROBLEM, not to the rude way in which you choose to communicate.  Honestly, Moejj, sarcasm and putdowns don't help anything and just call attention to you in a negative way.
Yes, you definitely have a problem that needs to be fixed.  We got that.  I might be annoyed, but that is as far as it would go with me and then I'd focus all my energy on getting it fixed.
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I wasn't being rude. Misnterpretation does not equate reality.
(Edited)
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
You are absolutely correct, this is a discussion board, and by definition, discussion is two (or more way).  Just as you are free to rant and pout as you see fit, others, like myself, are free to add our two cents, in a more balanced way.  I  was simply pointing out that you (and many many people) are very fast to blame exede for every issue, when it may very well be an issue or issues that have absolutely nothing to do with exede.  By simply placing blame, and refusing to look at other possibilities, you are only hurting yourself, as well as the others who come here, looking for ACTUAL solutions to their issues, solutions that are more than just finger pointing.  Feel free to continue to insult me, if that makes you feel better.
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Of course I am correct. Which is why I am posting on this board.

There is no insult from my end, strictly stating fact. I have had other ISPs, never had ANY issues accessing a simple webpage and / or login.

I do now.

With other ISPs I have always received 80 to 120% of rated speed.

I now enjoy below 25% of advertised rated speed.

To imply this is not an exede issue is ridiculous foolishness on your part. If you do not have any technical data or knowledge to demonstrate or troubleshoot where in the chain the issue lies, which is within the exede service , you need to keep you personal opinion to yourself.

If you feel insulted by any of this, as stated previously, do not respond to my posts concerning my lack of product. You are not part of the equation. I did not include you, you took it upon yourself to join in on this thread. There are plenty of other discussion boards on the internet you can troll without fear or worry of *mistakenly* believing that you are being insulted. I'm paying for this, my demand for receiving what I am paying for matters, as well as posting proof of the problem WITH the service is highly relevant to the issue.

Who or what are you to to say to any paying customer their service problem does not matter or deserve to be posted in the company discussion board problem area, or more ridiculously insinuate it's not a service problem - really? You need to rethink your hobbies. As of yet, your "contributions" have amounted to nothing more than a waste of time, with zero substance or contribution to the resolution of the matter at hand.

Empty opinions, snarky remarks (which I've seen you post to other paying customers) and empty banter offer nothing, beyond adding to the total number of your posts so you can see your profile on the website.

Attempt to contribute something constructive , or stop wasting everyone's time with empty comments. Find some other forum to troll, specifically somewhere people are not upset over wasting their hard earned money. Maybe your posts may have some level of value, and you won't falsely feel insulted.

Cheers.

M.
(Edited)

• 3172 Posts
  • 2040 Reply Likes
Moejj, it appears that you are posting here only to put down the Exede service and to rant and rave. This you are very entitled to do, just as the many others who post on the Exede Community.

I can understand that you feel that you are not getting the service that you expected when you signed up for two years. If you are only getting 4 Mbs download speeds, then you do deserve to have Exede look into this and find where the slowdown is occurring. I can tell you that the service is not flawed as a whole, but that individual customers, due to improper installations or equipment problems, do have problems as you are having. I have been on Exede for over 28 months now, and only on rare occassions have I seen speeds in the 8 Mbs range, probably due to excessive use by those others on my beam. My normal speed range from 14 to 23 Mbs, which would indicate that the system does deliver "Up to 12 Mbs", and many times more.

What I think you should be doing is to contact one of the Exede technical people, many are monitoring this board, and explain to them what your issues are. These are the people who have access to the right people to look into your system from their end, they will be able to get your installation working as is intended, and certainly would make you happier.  Send an email message to one of the moderator/technical people like Exede Alex or Kimberly at exedelistens@viasat.com

Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Demonstrate where I am ranting and raving as you put it, as well as "putting" down exede? I posted my speeds, I stated I am paying for something I am not receiving. This equates to ranting and raving and putting down exede. Ridiculous.

• 3172 Posts
  • 2040 Reply Likes
Why is it that you will not contact Exede to have them look into your slow speeds? That would bring better results than just posting on this board. 
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Why is you you assumed I haven't?  I responded to Star Matter's post from over a week ago, which in turn was from a post prior to that.  My original post stands as is, issue not yet resolved. 

I am overjoyed that you get above and beyond the 12Mbps rated speed, what does that have to do with my issue?  

Nothing.

You've been using it for X amount of months - what does that have to do with this issue I am experiencing - nothing.

What have you accomplished other than twisting a technical issue into a personal rant of some sort?  I'll succinctly state - nothing.

Unlike yourself, I simply just do not have the time to detail step by step what I do on exede, and quite honestly, between full time job, full time school in addition to volunteer work, I just don't have to time to be sitting on these boards giving a play by play to keep you informed.  I have real world issues to tend to.  Keeping you in the loop, I am sorry to say is not my concern I just don't have the time.  The technical support issue is in process, and today's initial post by me was `a response to StarMatter, who as yourself, decided to make this some sort of ridiculous personal matter.  

I am confident have good intentions, however, jumping in and rudely stating that all I'm doing is "putting down exede" is juvenile at best. You aren't the Holy Exede Defender, and if you were, you're way off mark, as I haven't "put down" exede.  I'm overjoyed you take such pride in dominating this board with what I will assume is occasional helpful advice to fellow members.

I'll kindly recommend to you as I did StarMatter - if you have a suggestion or solution - your input is welcome.  If you have personal snark, opinion, or empty comment there are plenty of forums on the internet to troll, it's not welcomed here.

In closing allow me to update you on my internet connectivity issue, I currently enjoy a 2.5 Mbps connection speed.  School website takes five minutes to log into, mutiple browser tabs open for conducting research is an effort in futility.  All this and I pay $65 a month combined with a 10GB data cap. I still have yet to get a response what the unlabeled 5 dollar amount on my bill is, the listed items come to sixty dollars, however that is another matter of dissatisfaction.  This is why I'm not happy.  This is why I posted.  Not to have a textual volley back and forth with a couple of individuals who deem it necessary to include themselves on every single post on here as if it's their job or responsibility. 

Have a pleasant day.

m
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Forum members will be able to advise you better if you post your modem stats.  You can go to 192.168.100.1 and paste a screen shot or just post the numbers. My first guess is an installation problem. Hopefully, you can get it resolved before your 90-day installation warranty runs out. Simply posting on here may not get the attention of tech support. You need to send a message to exedelistens@viasat.com or one of the moderators to insure your issue gets attention.
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thanks for the advice.
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
GENERAL Rx Power: -45.1dBm

Rx SNR: 9.6dB

ODU Telemetry status 
Active

Cable Resistance3.0Ohm

Cable Attenuation21.8 dB

Software Version UT_2.2.0.2.0 Hardware Version UT_7 P3_V1Serial Number 283713471480 Part Number 1113450013
IFL Type Single BDT Version 4

These are my stats, email has been sent to exedelistens@viasat.com 
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Your modem stats look to be acceptable values.  Only having my numbers to compare, you are losing about 20-times as much signal in your coax as I am.  Wonder if you have a long coax? 100-feet or so?  Hopefully, the folks at Exede can figure this out for you.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Need to check  to see if solid copper coax was used also.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Moejj, I looked in our inbox and haven't come across any emails regarding any issues like this that were sent in the past few days. Could you please resend your email to exedelistens@viasat.com and we will keep a look out and respond right away. Thank you.
(Edited)
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I've sent an email to that address last Saturday, copy is in my sent folder. I'll send again, probably make it this time since I'm not on the exede network.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Look forward to hearing from you.
Photo of Cedius

Cedius

• 45 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Moejj, it is your right to complain. Don't listen to the wannabe moderators that are fishing for stars and likes.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
rudeness, arrogance and sarcasm are not the same thing as complaining.  It is about values, not about approval seeking.  
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Agreed Cedius, it appears they find it some sort of social standing or bragging rights to respond to every post they can. That's FINE, everyone needs a purpose in life, BUT, when they insert snarky comments and or attempt to turn it into an issue as IF THEY are part of the chain, they've immediately removed themselves from any possible value to the equation.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Moejj, seems  as if you are using this discussion to take out some anger at people you don't even know.  I am surprised you would complain about someone's supposedly "snarky": comments since the only comments I see here that seem to meet that designation are yours.  Did you come here looking for help or for a fight?
Hope your problem gets solved.
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
"It seems"

Again, you as well as 2 others take it upon yourself to explain to me what I'm doing. You, as they are - WRONG. Reread my posts. Remove your personal feelings from my issue. There's a vast difference with being unhappy with sub-par service, and being angry. If you are incapable of reading my post without interjecting your personal opinion which had absolutely nothing to do with the solution, then kindly move along. Your thoughts are not required. You provide no solution, and it appears you are guilty of what you're attempting to pin on me. I'm not on this board to read your misinterpretations of my posts, neither is anyone else.

Have a pleasant day.

M
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Moejj, I still haven't received an email from you. Would you mind sending it again to exedelistens@viasat.com with "forum post" in the subject line. Thank you.
(Edited)
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I shall resend again.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I think something is going awry with your email to us. I haven't received it yet.. /:
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
X4, lastly with forum post in subject line. Check your spam folder.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
We do not have a spam folder with the system we work cases through..
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I've sent it AGAIN for the 5th time.  Seems as if this email option is pointless / fruitless.
Photo of weaver SMITH

weaver SMITH

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Moejj, it looks as though your Cable Attenuation is WAY to high....how far away from your modem is your tria and dish? After 100 to 150 or so feet your speeds will start to degrade due to how the signal travels along the cable. If you are under 100 feet, I would begin to wonder if there is not a break in the Center conductor of your cable some where....This could cause the HIGH attenuation numbers your modem is displaying....causing your speeds to be low...Just a thought.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thanks for that input weaver! Any ideas or suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks again.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.