FaceBook pictures don't show up!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
Why don't pictures come through on my FaceBook account? FB works perfectly with my friend's cable modem and with my Verizon modem. But when I switch back to Exede, all the photos on my FB page disappear! I have rebooted the Exede modem, the router and my computer. It only seems to affect FaceBook, not other web pages. Also, when my iPhone and my iPad are connected to the Exede modem through the router, FaceBook will not display any photos. What gives?
Photo of Ed Hill

Ed Hill

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Out of answers!

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Did you use up all of your data and are under data restriction?

Photo of Ed Hill

Ed Hill

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No. I'm in the middle of the billing cycle and the bill is current. This started suddenly a couple days ago. Before that, there was no problem.
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Its a known issue with exede regarding face book pics. Bothing you can do....no fix for over a year.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3841 Reply Likes
This is typically a DNS lookup issue - Facebook utilizes a content delivery network using multiple servers. When using your friend's cable modem or your Verizon modem, you're likely hitting a content server closer to your physical location. When using Exede you're routed to Facebook content server closer to your gateway and/or Accelenet server. For example, despite living in Virginia, on Exede any Facebook content I see is coming out of San Jose, CA (since my gateway is in Nevada and Accelenet Server is in Salt Lake City - I suspect the gateway may be the determining factor). If I were using a local cable provider I suspect it would come out of Northern, Virginia.   

This could be an Exede DNS lookup error or the content server being used may not be accessible. Only some advanced diagnostic techniques can be used to determine the real problem but starts with determining what Facebook content server is being used for the images.

Past experiences tend to show it is a DNS lookup issue encountered during peak Exede usage periods.
(Edited)
Photo of Ed Hill

Ed Hill

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I understand the complexity of the Internet but, unfortunately, am not equipped to do such troubleshooting. It suddenly started happening 3 days ago, for no apparent reason. What to do?
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2779 Posts
  • 1750 Reply Likes
Ed, send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com. Include your account number and phone number. The moderators have been dealing with this problem with their network engineers. They have  corrected the problem for many of us, so they will have to look into why you are having this problem.
Photo of Ed Hill

Ed Hill

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the answers. I placed a call to Exede TechSpt. Trouble shooting pointed at the router. When I plugged the cable from the modem directly into my laptop, suddenly the pictures appeared. I replaced the router and haven't had a problem since.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Thanks Ed, for reporting a successful resolution to your problem.  So often problems are posted and we never hear what happens.  Good to know what fixed your issue.

Photo of BRIAN ROSARITO

BRIAN ROSARITO

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Didn't solve my problem. Same with or without router.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Brian - Just curious... When you are having the Facebook problem what are the values of your FL & RL Packet Lost Percentages?  Look at the bottom of the Modem Status:  http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus