Extremely Slow speed Not over data allowance

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
Extremely Unsatisfied with Service, For Months now. 
I tried everything Costumer care advised me to do.
Reboot / Reset , Modem, Computer , router . ECT
Nothing works. 
Technician was sent to my residence to test equipment and Nothing is wrong with it. 
So why am I only getting 0.60mbps and less?
I am going to keep complaining until something is done about this.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
  • Pissed off

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of david lightsey

david lightsey

• 39 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Have you done a speed test in off-peak time? If so was it any better?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
If your speeds are like that during the morning and afternoon then you probably have a problem.  Do as David asks and then we will see what is what. 
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I will gladly do the speed test at 2 Am. and will post the results. :)
Thank you for suggesting it !
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes

Here's how it works Lora,

There is no need to continue complaining, that just builds frustration and is not productive.  There is a remedy for your low speed experience with ViaSat.

If you always have rotten speed, emphasis on the word always, send an email to the Corporate Viasat Social Care people at viasatlistens@viasat.com, explaining the situation, and what you have done in your attempts to remedy the problem (re-boot, speed checks at different times of the day, weather observations, etc.).  Include your account number and contact information.

That email will be read and acted upon by the most influential people you can ever hope to have hear about your service problem at ViaSat.  They are responsible for every customer's perception of ViaSat and it's reputation as a company.  I know they will treat you and your problem with the highest standard of care possible and you should expect positive results from contacting them.

I have seen another post made by you and I now offer that the wording of your email to ViaSat should be toned-down considerably.  Instead of making it clear that you are highly disappointed, I suggest you approach them as a customer in need of their assistance since all other Customer Service recommendations have been fruitless.

Good Luck, and please return later to inform us of the final outcome.

Photo of Chilli Joshua Kuehn Fletcher

Chilli Joshua Kuehn Fletcher

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I have the same problem I have unlimited brons 12 never go over my limit and live with supper so speed they said my area is 100% maxed out that is why i can not get good speeds but am still forced to pay top dolor for poor service I'm lucky if I get 500k 
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Judge and Jury,   I see how this works. 
and YES i have always got rotten speeds. BUT not as bad as bad as this. 
I have already rebooted, unplugged. left unplugged,  all of my equipment. 
Modem, Router, Computers.  This has been done multiple times. 
I have emailed Viasatlistens@viasat.com nearly every day for a week now. 
I have called customer care, 
They Dispatched a Technician out to my residence and my equipment is working normally.   I was told by the technician that My account is on a Over Loaded beam. 
Customer care pretty much told me to put up with it. 
I am not doubting that they will read my emails, What I am doubting  is the level of concern to me and other customers. For the level of service we receive does not justify the amount of money we pay them. 
In any case , I do believe there is a need to complain until they fix it. 

Oh and one more thing. You are not my mother, I have the right to say what I want, I don't  need to be told by you to tone down.
  So,  there ya go buddy.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Lora, my VS1 beam is pretty loaded as well. However, since they have started selling VS2 service, no more customers are being put on our VS1 beam so each and every day there are fewer and fewer customers who are trying to share the bandwidth. I've noticed the past couple weeks that our speeds during peak time are slowly but surely moving up. Typical speeds I'm seeing are between 1-3mbps.....I was seeing 300-500kpbps. Hopefully you'll start seeing some improvement in the next few months. 

Andy
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

I saw a movie many years ago, it was "Labyrinth."  You remind me of  the character Sara, (Jennifer Connelly), by the way you do things.

I only "offered," and "suggestedbut do as you think will work best for you, after all
even Burger Kings says... "Have it your way."

Photo of Richard Vardaman

Richard Vardaman

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My signal only slows down when I exceed 100 giga bytes. Over the years I have had several internet satellite companies. Via Sat so far exceeds the service of the other providers hands down. Cell phone companies can't even get close to what Via Sat offers. But as always this is only my opinion.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Wait until you see 5G. a Verizon tech said its wicked fast.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1779 Reply Likes
5G may be fast, but some of us cannot get a cell signal at out house, so it is not an option. Viasat provides me with great internet.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Steve. Have you looked into getting a good quality cell phone amplifier? IF you can use your phone in "certain" spots in your yard then an amp will probably work very well. You have to know where your tower is located AND go with a directional outside antenna. 

And
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1779 Reply Likes
Andy, I live in a very hilly area. The nearest towers are 5 miles away and more, in the valley to cover the interstate highway and villages. The hills block the line of sight to these towers. I have tried the amplifier route, it was not successful. 
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Same here Steve. I'm 20 minutes from San Jose, Calif and barely can pick up radio stations after everything went digital. Highly frustrating to deal with but no other options. We tried the signal booster and haven't done better after spending 350usd on an amplifier designed for our cellular provider. I keep hoping and know that it probably won't happen. "it is what it is."
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Those of us that can afford to relocate to an area with a better Internet option should consider it.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Today's Speed Test.. 
So I guess this is acceptable?

(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
"I will gladly do the speed test at 2 Am. and will post the results. :)
Thank you for suggesting it !"

???

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I hate how you have to wait till you are a sleep to get 2005 equivalence  internet speeds 

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
 thisis is me at 12:43 I am about to go to bed before 12 it was in the  500k buffer zone when I needed it I wish they would lower the price $85 is just too much for 500k 12 hours a day
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Update ..
7-10-18 . I called costumer care again,
I spent almost 2 hours with them about this . 
They have sent my problem to corporate? I am still awaiting on a resolution.
Here is a log of the speeds I have been getting.  

It seems that I only got a good speed at nearly 4 AM .  
so this proves my point.  
ViaSat has so many people on a overloaded beam that  causes excessive slow service. 

I will post results of the resolution when Costumer Care contacts me.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
All of your speeds look good to me.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
make sure you are looking at the middle column . I don't care about the UPload speed on the last column.
Anything below 1.00 is horrible.  I only get the speed I am paying for from 4:00AM to 7:am. then it goes back to below 1.00 , the point is.   
Why are we expected to pay for internet that has decent speed at 4 o'clock in the Morning?
I just don't feel its fair,    
They need to do something about crowding on one beam. 
This is what speed im getting right now.

Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I WISH i was getting the upload speed results for Download.   
 I wouldn't be complaining.   
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3553 Posts
  • 2071 Reply Likes

Yea.  That is not unusual.  My speeds are dismal right now too. 

Not seeing the benefit of Viasat-2 yet!

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2262 Posts
  • 1124 Reply Likes
I did look at the center column. Your speeds look fine.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
really?  wow.   Ok so I guess you are used to crap speed. I feel that speeds below 1.00 is unacceptable.  Oh wait.. until I set a alarm to wake up at 4:00AM to use the internet at a acceptable speed.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Ok.. so ,  How do I request to be put on Visat2?    
how do I get them to put me on a less over loaded beam?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3553 Posts
  • 2071 Reply Likes
Depends on your location.  Viasat-2 may or may not be available in your area.  If available, move to a plan that is on Viasat-2.  You will have to work with a customer service agent to see what your options are.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Taking your advice and contacting a service agent tonight.  Thank you :)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3553 Posts
  • 2071 Reply Likes
Let us know your options.  Curious.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Ok. So you were right..  I called and talked to a agent.
He confirmed that I was on the viasat1 and the beam I am on is overloaded.
I get Great speeds at 4:00am - 9:00AM but once congestion starts I get less than adequate speed.
We signed up for a new service plan..  I get it installed Tomorrow.  And we said I will be on the Viasat2.  we will see what happens. 
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Update!..
New service was installed this past saturday 7-14.  
I have been issued a new Dish/Trea and new modem.  I have given up my Freedom plan for the unlimited bronze. 
I am now getting speeds that are respectable. Nothing less than 6.00mbps during Peak afternoon to evening. 
I am disappointed that No ONe from customer care even tried to solve my speed issues.
 I had to cancel my service and contract a new 2 year service agreement to get decent service.  
Oh well. It is what it is. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3553 Posts
  • 2071 Reply Likes
Not sure I would have given up a Feeedom plan for bronze, but if you are happy, that is all that matters. You should be fine as you don't stream video.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
The streaming on VS2 Large Beam Bronze Plan has actually gotten a bit better. We watched two shows last night and the video was very acceptable (70" tv) and stable. In the past the video quality was all over the place. Perhaps the NOC got the kinks worked out. 

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3553 Posts
  • 2071 Reply Likes
Well that's good!

Bronze provides low resolution though. Like standard definition VHS tape resolution.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
If your tv has a high quality upscaling engine, you'd be surprised at how good the video can look at 360p.....WAY better than 480p on a standard hd tv. 

Andy
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3133 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
I'm glad to hear it's working better for you after changing. It's not the solution for everyone but there are places such as where you are that a upgrade to ViaSat-2 would actually be a major improvement. 

Speed issues largely can be fixed if it's equipment related. If the network is the culprit that's more of a long term fix that has to be done on our back end and won't be something that can be fixed quickly. I think while you gave up the Freedom plan, for speed and performance you went the correct route. 

Richard Vardaman

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have a $700.00 cell phone repeater with an outdoor antenna 30ft up. Verizon, even though is here in Arkansas is the pits. No signal worth a hoot.
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hughesnet and Viasat are similar in my experience. They both eventually get over-subscribed until they launch a new satellite. My very experienced installer said that the reason of congestion during the time most people are sleeping is because of customers using download manager software. These have a scheduler built-in so downloading occurs while everyone sleeps. Our slowest Internet speeds are during the Hughesnet bonus hours of 2 am to 8 am. During the week and normal work hours, our speeds are the highest and movies can be streamed with no buffering.

You might have another option. If you can see communication towers from your property, then there's a point to point system that may work for you. You will have to negotiate tower rental from that location and Internet from one of their switches. Depending on the distance from your home to the tower, the equipment cost can be less than $200.00. You will have to pay a one time cost of having someone climb the tower and install the tower unit. You should be able to install the other unit at your home.

For a repeater to work well, you need its antenna to be line of sight with the cell tower. The other antenna points to your home. They both should be directional high gain antennas. Another method is to use RF over Fiber transceivers. With these, you have a transceiver at the top of a hill pointed at the cell tower, with single mode optic fiber along with 2 copper wires for power, from the transceiver at the top to another such transceiver at your home. Single mode fiber has very low loss even at fairly long distances. A coax cable has too much loss over about 100 feet unless it is very large diameter.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am proud to announce that I am done .. and I mean DONE!! with ViaSuck and its data cap. 
I have a new Internet provider that uses Cellular Technology.  My bill is always under $85.00 I have no 2 year contract.. and best of all ..  NO BANDWIDTH LIMIT!!!..   REAL no limit...  that means its not just unlimited until you reach your "Priority" data..    you get full speed ALL OF THE TIME!!  NO LIMIT..  
My speeds are phenomenal!  Instead of  0.55 at the best...   The SLOWEST I have had for the past few months is 12mbps .   I am ecstatic about my new internet provider.
(Edited)
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
By the way .. I did NOT edit my comment. looks like someone tampered with my post. 
SOMEONE took out the part of the provider I am now with.  
Its Bears & Sesame .llc.   
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I was wondering who removed your new ISP. I told my wife it was probably Viasat. Thanks for reposting. We wrote it down.
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm happy for you Lora! You are free now. We recently bought new cell phones and have the unlimited data plans. We need a solution like you found. Congratulations!
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
BearsNet..
Bear & Sesame
Look them up on the internet.
He has his OWN internet service he offers.  and Yes he is also a satellite dealer and installer. 
Ask him about HIS internet.  Im so happy with it. 

Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have been communicating with Bear and Sesame. They help a lot of rural people get high speed Internet with land based systems. They use less expensive systems as much as possible. They are always testing equipment in search of which gives highest down and up Internet speeds.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Glad to see you are free Lora, I am also. Verizon wireless has finally improved enough here that it is a lot more usable than Viacrap. I just have to return my equipment. I cannot believe they want an obsolete 8 year old transponder back, they claim they still use them. I am sure that is a lie. If not it shows how bad they stink, giving a customer 8 year old equipment. I like how they always blame network congestion, well they are the ones that over sold the service. Every time I see one of their misleading adds on TV I want to kick my TV in. They have to be one of the worst companies on the planet.
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Congratulations Al! We are happy for you! Funny they always blame it on congestion because congestion points to over-subscription which is their fault. It's all about the profit and not about the customer UNTIL the number of customers start to decrease.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1022 Posts
  • 626 Reply Likes
Congestion does not indicate overselling.  To have a completely congestion free system and still be an operational, viable company, they'd have to significantly limit the number of customers on the system and charge extreme prices for those few who have the service.  Are you willing to pay ten, fifteen, twenty times the current prices for congestion free service?  I doubt it.  

Congestion is going to happen on any system with a relatively small throughput, but it does not indicate overselling.  As well, "overselling" is a subjective term when it comes to a service like this.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Too many customers is a choice by an ISP. Speed is up to a certain maximum based on users at the same time. Up to 50 Mbps means speeds can be this high. However, they can be much lower and even 1 bit/sec, and the ISP has not lied. Some ISPs say, "Super fast Internet". This is subjective. What is or how fast is super fast Internet?

Some of us now have other options now that cell phone carriers offer unlimited data plans. There are other options, too. Inexpensive wireless point to point systems are available. Check out Ubiquiti on Amazon.com. For less than $200.00 a system can be purchased to send/receive Internet, over 10 miles.

As more Internet options become available and people move off of Satellite Internet, congestion might decrease.

I, as others here, have another option that cost less than Satellite Internet and has no apparent congestion. Land based Internet has less limitations and cost less to expand. Satellite Internet has designed-in limitations.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1022 Posts
  • 626 Reply Likes
Satellite Internet has designed-in limitations.
More like unavoidable limitations.  
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Not exactly! I was a satellite electronics engineer and astrospace engineer. If the engineers had more control the bandwidth would be better. Most of the engineers' hands are tied. Fast pace schedules, limited budget, long lead time parts, poor management and other constraints dictate a system that is less than it could be. Also there is a lot of waste and inefficiency in the development. Lazy and or incompetent people don't help the process.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1022 Posts
  • 626 Reply Likes
Even if engineers had the ability to do whatever they wished, they greatest satellite they could create with present technology would still be a bottleneck after a relatively small number of customers were added.  

And even if they created daisy chained satellites to increase capacity, the prices charged in order to recoup the cost in any decent amount of time would be out of reach of many available customers.  

The bottom line is that two way satellites will continue to have limitations that ground based services don't suffer from.  And with data requirements increasing nearly by the day, traditional satellites can't, and won't, keep up.  

Until they come up with new technologies for two way satellite communication the bottleneck(s) will remain.   

Streaming is the primary issue.  I have a feeling that they can improve streaming technology, data wise, faster than they can improve the satellites to handle not only the demands of present streaming, but tomorrow's streaming, as well.  Additionally, they need to improve data compression as a whole.  

Remember what MP3's did for music, data wise?  Similar to that, but with streaming, as well as general internet data.  
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I agree. The low orbit multiple satellite method would make an improvement. Conservation would help both satellite and ground based Internet work better for all. Using the Internet more as a learning tool and less for entertainment is time better spent. Before cell phones and Internet, students were more into academics and sports. Learning and practicing sustainability could help everyone. Taking some responsibility for growing our own organic food, producing part of our own power, and building super insulated residences will reduce the load on non-renewable resources. The Internet is a great way to share knowledge and experience. The Internet is used this way currently, of course, which is great. How-to videos online are very helpful. We will all be fine, if we continue to work together!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
People drive cars that are more than 8 years old. Why would a company stop using a satellite just because it isn’t brand new?
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Solid state low noise amplifiers have improved considerably in 8 years. Modems and routers have also improved. The metal parabolic dish has probably not changed much if any. You say satellite. The satellite is in orbit and cost several or 10s of millions to develop.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
"Congestion does not indicate overselling" Yes it does. Is there any Viacrap deficiencies you will not make excuses for? It would be different if Viasat told the truth, their advertising is as misleading as it gets.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
Al is a paid shill for Verizon.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3606 Posts
  • 2106 Reply Likes
I wont disagree that Viasat and many other internet providers stretch the truth when it comes to marketing.
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I called my brother this morning to discuss some of what is discussed on this forum, since he is an Internet service provider. He is a provider for auto dealerships, hospital, colleges, and the like. He said we are all in this together and must share the pipeline. He sees the business side and consumer side. At his rural home he had Wild Blue for many years. He was the first Wild Blue customer in Mississippi. I told him that long ago Internet content was mostly text and we did not need such high speed Internet and he agreed. These days we have so much more content, we need much higher speeds.

As for his small Internet business, he has monitoring software and he can see the traffic anytime. He also has it send him an alert to his cell phone when capacity reaches 80%. Of course, since his is land based, it is not so difficult to add more bandwidth when capacity gets to 100%.  He said he adds capacity in 1 Gbps increments. Last year adding another Gbps cost him $3,000 per month. This year it cost $2,000 per month. So cost is coming down.

He gave me an example of a problem he just had with a local community college that provides Internet to the student dormitories. He said the entire college Internet exceeded 100% capacity and the business office said the Internet was unusable. So he added 1 Gbps and after 1 day it reached capacity again. They determined it was the students doing huge downloads and not the college employees. Therefore, the students take all they can and not only for academics, but for pleasure.

The satellite ISPs have monitoring software so they always know if and when capacity is reached or exceeded. The difference is that only so much bandwidth is built-in to a satellite and no one travels up to the satellite and upgrade the hardware, unfortunately.

Some of us as consumers can be part of the problem to slower Internet. Most people are conservative and use only what they need. However, some users are Internet hogs, unfortunately.

Marketing gimmicks and tricks are grim! I rather know the truth.  ISPs are very competitive so clear and simple contract wording would likely lower profits. The truth might not set them free.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
A tech told me it was obsolete. A transponder is not a car, your comparison makes no sense.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1022 Posts
  • 626 Reply Likes
As a whole it may be obsolete, but that doesn't mean that all of its components are.  
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That is true, that all components are not obsolete; however, all of the ground based electronics is made in China with very inexpensive components and manufacturing. It would cost far more to salvage parts or re-work than purchase new. Also, everything ages and degrades over time. A used assembly should be re-used if it still functions, adequately. A lab or field test can verify proper functioning. If a new one is no better, keep the used one. If the ISP owns the equipment, they should have the option. I don't know, but I doubt an ISP would re-use an 8 year old electronics assembly.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
By that logic, Voyager 1 is even more useless than Viasat 1. Might as well shut down one of NASA’s most amazing and lonegst running projects.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
You are a Viasat homer and a joke. I am guessing you are an employee or a paid shill. Now you are comparing a cheaply mass produced transponder to highly technical well made space probe. If you aren't paid by Viasat you need to get a hobby.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
I’m just a happy Viasat customer. I don’t even get a discount.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
You expect me to believe that? If they aren't paying you that is pretty sad.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
If you ever read Stephen's posts you would realize no one would ever pay him!  :)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2269 Posts
  • 1129 Reply Likes
Yep. You should see what I posted last February.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2269 Posts
  • 1129 Reply Likes
Incidentally, once a year I download the entire Wikipedia to my laptop. That’s coming up next month. I can’t remembet exactly but I think it’s something like a 300 gb download.

I will be able to do it just fine on my Liberty 12 plan and won’t use a bit of my priority data. The late night free zone is really nice.

Richard Vardaman

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I live way out in the country where dsl and cell phone service is not so good even with a cell phone repeater.
I have the unlimited silver 25 mbs plan. 
I have had this plan for awhile and have no issues.
Speed is reasonable to fantastic depending on the time of day.
I recommend this plan to anyone serious about the internet.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Where I live you can't even get DSL. Cell service is spotty, but Verizon wireless internet is a lot more reliable than Viasat. The point about the speed was moot, even if the speed checked decent service would drop out up to a dozen times a day, even with nice weather. Also I noticed with 1--3 mb speed it functioned way worse than any old school .7 mb  DSL I had when I lived elsewhere decades ago. I rarely went over my 12GB.

I cannot believe the lack of conscience Viasat has. They up sell people that are having service issues and take more of their money. Their TV ads are as misleading as they can be.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Al, you are probably aware of cell signal boosters. If not, check out Weboost Wilson amplifiers online. My brother installs their commercial systems in office buildings. The residential systems cost a lot less. They are available from Amazon.com and other online stores.

What I recently learned is that rural cell towers can have less traffic so you can get higher speeds than in town. Yesterday on our very rural property on our tallest hill, I consistently got over 20 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up with my cell phone. On my neighbor's property I got 80 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up. This was late afternoon when satellite Internet was getting congested. The neighbor's property gave a stronger signal. With a hi-gain directional antenna I should get great speeds from our property. Hope you can improve your speeds further.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I researched cell boosters, strangely enough Verizon Wireless internet works well enough for me without one, so far anyway. As for phone service it just depends who I am talking to on the cell, some people it is great, others hit and miss. I am in Beaverdam Virginia, I can have issues calling my neighbor 1/2 mile away who also has Verizon then take a call from a customer in Minnesota and the cell connection is great. If a cell call is real important I can drive to the sweet spot 1/4 mile away.
I am in a heavily wooded area. Will probably be trying a booster system soon.
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We are near Lewisburg, WV in steep choppy and wooded hills. Same here, we can drive short distance and make calls, or walk up a steep hill behind our house.
Photo of Mark Hutchins

Mark Hutchins

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have been experimenting with these apps for android: OpenSignal, CellMapper, and Network Cell Info Lite.