Extremely Slow speed Not over data allowance

• Problem
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • Acknowledged
Extremely Unsatisfied with Service, For Months now. 
I tried everything Costumer care advised me to do.
Reboot / Reset , Modem, Computer , router . ECT
Nothing works. 
Technician was sent to my residence to test equipment and Nothing is wrong with it. 
So why am I only getting 0.60mbps and less?
I am going to keep complaining until something is done about this.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Pissed off

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of david lightsey

david lightsey

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Have you done a speed test in off-peak time? If so was it any better?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1990 Posts
  • 1673 Reply Likes
If your speeds are like that during the morning and afternoon then you probably have a problem.  Do as David asks and then we will see what is what. 
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I will gladly do the speed test at 2 Am. and will post the results. :)
Thank you for suggesting it !
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1611 Posts
  • 935 Reply Likes

Here's how it works Lora,

There is no need to continue complaining, that just builds frustration and is not productive.  There is a remedy for your low speed experience with ViaSat.

If you always have rotten speed, emphasis on the word always, send an email to the Corporate Viasat Social Care people at viasatlistens@viasat.com, explaining the situation, and what you have done in your attempts to remedy the problem (re-boot, speed checks at different times of the day, weather observations, etc.).  Include your account number and contact information.

That email will be read and acted upon by the most influential people you can ever hope to have hear about your service problem at ViaSat.  They are responsible for every customer's perception of ViaSat and it's reputation as a company.  I know they will treat you and your problem with the highest standard of care possible and you should expect positive results from contacting them.

I have seen another post made by you and I now offer that the wording of your email to ViaSat should be toned-down considerably.  Instead of making it clear that you are highly disappointed, I suggest you approach them as a customer in need of their assistance since all other Customer Service recommendations have been fruitless.

Good Luck, and please return later to inform us of the final outcome.

Photo of Chilli Joshua Kuehn Fletcher

Chilli Joshua Kuehn Fletcher

• 21 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I have the same problem I have unlimited brons 12 never go over my limit and live with supper so speed they said my area is 100% maxed out that is why i can not get good speeds but am still forced to pay top dolor for poor service I'm lucky if I get 500k 
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Judge and Jury,   I see how this works. 
and YES i have always got rotten speeds. BUT not as bad as bad as this. 
I have already rebooted, unplugged. left unplugged,  all of my equipment. 
Modem, Router, Computers.  This has been done multiple times. 
I have emailed Viasatlistens@viasat.com nearly every day for a week now. 
I have called customer care, 
They Dispatched a Technician out to my residence and my equipment is working normally.   I was told by the technician that My account is on a Over Loaded beam. 
Customer care pretty much told me to put up with it. 
I am not doubting that they will read my emails, What I am doubting  is the level of concern to me and other customers. For the level of service we receive does not justify the amount of money we pay them. 
In any case , I do believe there is a need to complain until they fix it. 

Oh and one more thing. You are not my mother, I have the right to say what I want, I don't  need to be told by you to tone down.
  So,  there ya go buddy.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 659 Posts
  • 506 Reply Likes
Lora, my VS1 beam is pretty loaded as well. However, since they have started selling VS2 service, no more customers are being put on our VS1 beam so each and every day there are fewer and fewer customers who are trying to share the bandwidth. I've noticed the past couple weeks that our speeds during peak time are slowly but surely moving up. Typical speeds I'm seeing are between 1-3mbps.....I was seeing 300-500kpbps. Hopefully you'll start seeing some improvement in the next few months. 

Andy
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1609 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

I saw a movie many years ago, it was "Labyrinth."  You remind me of  the character Sara, (Jennifer Connelly), by the way you do things.

I only "offered," and "suggestedbut do as you think will work best for you, after all
even Burger Kings says... "Have it your way."

Photo of Richard Vardaman

Richard Vardaman

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My signal only slows down when I exceed 100 giga bytes. Over the years I have had several internet satellite companies. Via Sat so far exceeds the service of the other providers hands down. Cell phone companies can't even get close to what Via Sat offers. But as always this is only my opinion.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Wait until you see 5G. a Verizon tech said its wicked fast.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2619 Posts
  • 1620 Reply Likes
5G may be fast, but some of us cannot get a cell signal at out house, so it is not an option. Viasat provides me with great internet.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 659 Posts
  • 506 Reply Likes
Steve. Have you looked into getting a good quality cell phone amplifier? IF you can use your phone in "certain" spots in your yard then an amp will probably work very well. You have to know where your tower is located AND go with a directional outside antenna. 

And
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2619 Posts
  • 1620 Reply Likes
Andy, I live in a very hilly area. The nearest towers are 5 miles away and more, in the valley to cover the interstate highway and villages. The hills block the line of sight to these towers. I have tried the amplifier route, it was not successful. 
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Same here Steve. I'm 20 minutes from San Jose, Calif and barely can pick up radio stations after everything went digital. Highly frustrating to deal with but no other options. We tried the signal booster and haven't done better after spending 350usd on an amplifier designed for our cellular provider. I keep hoping and know that it probably won't happen. "it is what it is."
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Today's Speed Test.. 
So I guess this is acceptable?

(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1966 Posts
  • 1648 Reply Likes
"I will gladly do the speed test at 2 Am. and will post the results. :)
Thank you for suggesting it !"

???

• 21 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I hate how you have to wait till you are a sleep to get 2005 equivalence  internet speeds 

• 21 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
 thisis is me at 12:43 I am about to go to bed before 12 it was in the  500k buffer zone when I needed it I wish they would lower the price $85 is just too much for 500k 12 hours a day
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Update ..
7-10-18 . I called costumer care again,
I spent almost 2 hours with them about this . 
They have sent my problem to corporate? I am still awaiting on a resolution.
Here is a log of the speeds I have been getting.  

It seems that I only got a good speed at nearly 4 AM .  
so this proves my point.  
ViaSat has so many people on a overloaded beam that  causes excessive slow service. 

I will post results of the resolution when Costumer Care contacts me.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1985 Posts
  • 941 Reply Likes
All of your speeds look good to me.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
make sure you are looking at the middle column . I don't care about the UPload speed on the last column.
Anything below 1.00 is horrible.  I only get the speed I am paying for from 4:00AM to 7:am. then it goes back to below 1.00 , the point is.   
Why are we expected to pay for internet that has decent speed at 4 o'clock in the Morning?
I just don't feel its fair,    
They need to do something about crowding on one beam. 
This is what speed im getting right now.

Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I WISH i was getting the upload speed results for Download.   
 I wouldn't be complaining.   
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2809 Posts
  • 1535 Reply Likes

Yea.  That is not unusual.  My speeds are dismal right now too. 

Not seeing the benefit of Viasat-2 yet!

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1971 Posts
  • 926 Reply Likes
I did look at the center column. Your speeds look fine.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
really?  wow.   Ok so I guess you are used to crap speed. I feel that speeds below 1.00 is unacceptable.  Oh wait.. until I set a alarm to wake up at 4:00AM to use the internet at a acceptable speed.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ok.. so ,  How do I request to be put on Visat2?    
how do I get them to put me on a less over loaded beam?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2809 Posts
  • 1535 Reply Likes
Depends on your location.  Viasat-2 may or may not be available in your area.  If available, move to a plan that is on Viasat-2.  You will have to work with a customer service agent to see what your options are.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Taking your advice and contacting a service agent tonight.  Thank you :)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2809 Posts
  • 1535 Reply Likes
Let us know your options.  Curious.
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ok. So you were right..  I called and talked to a agent.
He confirmed that I was on the viasat1 and the beam I am on is overloaded.
I get Great speeds at 4:00am - 9:00AM but once congestion starts I get less than adequate speed.
We signed up for a new service plan..  I get it installed Tomorrow.  And we said I will be on the Viasat2.  we will see what happens. 
Photo of Lora Thomas

Lora Thomas

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Update!..
New service was installed this past saturday 7-14.  
I have been issued a new Dish/Trea and new modem.  I have given up my Freedom plan for the unlimited bronze. 
I am now getting speeds that are respectable. Nothing less than 6.00mbps during Peak afternoon to evening. 
I am disappointed that No ONe from customer care even tried to solve my speed issues.
 I had to cancel my service and contract a new 2 year service agreement to get decent service.  
Oh well. It is what it is. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2809 Posts
  • 1535 Reply Likes
Not sure I would have given up a Feeedom plan for bronze, but if you are happy, that is all that matters. You should be fine as you don't stream video.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 659 Posts
  • 506 Reply Likes
The streaming on VS2 Large Beam Bronze Plan has actually gotten a bit better. We watched two shows last night and the video was very acceptable (70" tv) and stable. In the past the video quality was all over the place. Perhaps the NOC got the kinks worked out. 

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2809 Posts
  • 1535 Reply Likes
Well that's good!

Bronze provides low resolution though. Like standard definition VHS tape resolution.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 659 Posts
  • 506 Reply Likes
If your tv has a high quality upscaling engine, you'd be surprised at how good the video can look at 360p.....WAY better than 480p on a standard hd tv. 

Andy
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2940 Posts
  • 1002 Reply Likes
I'm glad to hear it's working better for you after changing. It's not the solution for everyone but there are places such as where you are that a upgrade to ViaSat-2 would actually be a major improvement. 

Speed issues largely can be fixed if it's equipment related. If the network is the culprit that's more of a long term fix that has to be done on our back end and won't be something that can be fixed quickly. I think while you gave up the Freedom plan, for speed and performance you went the correct route. 
Photo of Richard Vardaman

Richard Vardaman

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have a $700.00 cell phone repeater with an outdoor antenna 30ft up. Verizon, even though is here in Arkansas is the pits. No signal worth a hoot.