YouTube using too much data?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
My internet was installed 2 days and We have already gone over my usage. I was on the phone for almost an hour today with no real solution. The rep was extremely patient with me while I was not. Before agreeing to my 14+ page contract I was very specific about what we use the internet for. When I started hearing numbers etc. I said I dont exactly know what uses what but I do know that you tube uses alot and have a three year old daughter with Autism who goes on youtube kids ALOT. I was very SPECIFIC about this before agreeing. I was told I would be fine even spoke to a supervisor who confirmed along with the installer. Each time I feel like I was given a cookie cutter answer about not sharing a line, high speed.  Uh no!  I also informed them that I teach an online course and need to have a good connection. Nope! What I also don't understand is why this is bundled with Direct TV if I cant even watch an On Demand video? This makes absolutely no sense. I am searching here to find some magic solution which I feel doesn't exists other than paying to end my contract and sharing my frustration and reviews so others don't find themselves in this situation.
Photo of Kimberly Cunningham

Kimberly Cunningham

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • extremely frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2202 Posts
  • 1909 Reply Likes
Yes, Youtube is going to use a lot of data because of all the photos and videos. Having a child on your internet service is going to use all your data fast.  Satellite internet is a very limited data  provider and I'm sorry you were led to believe otherwise.  I just checked out Youtube Kids and it appears to be videos for kids to watch and that will use all your data in a few days!
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2202 Posts
  • 1909 Reply Likes
There are settings on youtube to lower the quality of the videos when they are played.  They should be set at the lowest setting.. 144p.  That will allow you to save some data.
Change video quality

Change the video quality by going to the gear icon in the corner of the video player, and selecting your preferred quality.

On mobile devices, adjust quality settings by touching the  menu icon, then the gear. This option isn’t available on all devices (e.g. TV/game consoles), or connections (e.g. iOS on a cellular network).

If you’re signed in to YouTube on your computer, you can set default video quality preferences for all videos. Note that default settings won’t apply to YouTube on mobile.

(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3086 Posts
  • 1087 Reply Likes
Hi Kimberly,

Jim gave some good advice on making Youtube not pack so hard a punch. I'm a little curious about your situation though especially with the DirecTV bundling. Could you send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com and when doing so please provide a phone number or account number.Thanks! 
Photo of Kimberly Cunningham

Kimberly Cunningham

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Brad for your response. An email has been sent. I was unable to access this post so it was a delayed response.
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
if you were mislead they might be able to let you out of the contract since it has only been 2 days. and no I do not even stream and they claim streaming is one of my catagories and my data goes tick tick tick all gone with 28 days left of 30 it is insane sometimes.
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have Dish On Demand and that downloads shows/movies to the DVR that can be watched later.  I'm guessing Directv is the same.  So you can at least download those video in the free zone time and watch them later with no data usage.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3086 Posts
  • 1087 Reply Likes
DirecTV is the same