Experience with Liberty Pass on Beam 329

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
First off let me just say Merry Christmas to Everyone. Being that this is likely one of, if not the most heavily used times of the year for our beloved Exede service, I figured I would document our experience on Liberty Pass for you.

We are on Beam 329 in central VA and just recently had the option to change to the Liberty Plan. After about 2 hours of pros and cons comparison I switched with the thought of "if Exede really can deliver what they promise this is the best plan for me. " So we switched to the Liberty 30 and had a great experience while under the Priority Data with once exception - through the day at various times our connection drops for about 30 seconds. It is not terribly consistent and only started after switching. That is off subject though. Back to the main event.

On Christmas my son opened an Xbox one and the dreaded Halo 5 (dreaded from a satellite data perspective). Also had to download and install Office 2013 on my daughters Macbook. Now I still had about 16 GB of data left with 13 days to go. I figured if we are going to test it, bow would be the time. Boy oh boy have we tested it. Here are our observations:

On Christmas even under Priority data the connection was very slow. I cannot give you and exact result as I was downloading things so no result would be accurate, but even under Priority Data I believe in checking we were only getting a 2-5 speeds. After nearly 24 hours we used up the remaining 16 GB. Now I will do the math on that to determine what the average speed was, but it seems that is really a long time if we were indeed getting the expected 10 to 12 speeds under Priority data. I state this only to observe that Beam 329 is still very congested and obviously oversubscribed a bit in that if all users hit it at once, they cannot really deliver the full speeds of 10 to 12. Regular browsing however worked fine as did email meaning that the noticeable speed issues was only related to long downloads. So day after Christmas we flipped to the Pass and now for my experience on that.

Bottom line from about 6:00 AM to sometime in the afternoon consistent speeds of 2.5 to 5 are typical. In the evening (so far tested from about 7 PM to 2:30 AM) speeds are abysmal at 400K to 700K. Now the thing about those speeds is they are still very usable for just about everything so again the internet browsing is a little slower but not completely noticeable. There were moments my device said it could not load a page, however that may be more due to the issue of periodic disconnects so I am not ready to point to being on the Pass as the problem. What I did find in doing the speed tests and trying some very low setting remote control sessions is that while traffic did not appear to be dropped, it queued. So in tests and testmy.net it would show a variance of throughput with very consistent drops to 0 which is where traffic appears paused but then would resume. In a 3 MB download test this would occur 4 to 5 times with the results in the 400K to 700K. It essentially may the remote control unusable as the pauses terribly delayed any screen responses to actions on the other end. I have used this same software on a 512k DSL and it worked fine as well as very slow 3G wireless with 300k speeds and it also worked fine so I know it isn't the speed, it is the traffic manipulation. Any downloads seem to work just fine, they do not time out but instead are obviously very slow in the congested time period.

Now I still have a week and a few days on Liberty Pass so we will continue to test and document the experience through that time with daily results checked and updated as I can do so. Not sure how the LNFZ and EBFZ folks are doing with speeds overnight. I would be interested to know of you are getting very slow speeds as well since I believe LNFZ and EBFZ traffic also takes second seat to Priority data (discovered and discussed when I first switched to Liberty). So it would seem traffic prioritization is Priority Data, Free Zones, and then Liberty.

I will keep this updated. Any other congested Beam experiences with Liberty welcome.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of ExedeNeil

ExedeNeil, Official Rep

• 41 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
There were some improvements made to signal levels in beam 329 and a few other beams on the morning of Fri, Feb 5, which should result in improved speeds. We are still working to improve it further.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Thanks to the efforts of Neil and the other folks at Exede working with those of us on this Beam and others that are having some issues, I believe we are going to see some better experiences in this area. 

I am sure we are all looking forward to seeing the final results of the work they have been doing!
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Liberty Pass is delivering the goods, even in Beam 329:

Tue Feb 09 2016 @ 9:59:11 am 5.09 Mbps
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

A little slower tonight on Liberty Pass mode, but very usable.

Beam 329 Liberty Pass: Wed Feb 10 2016 @ 11:00:13 pm 2.44 Mbps

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 273 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
I saw the same thing, noticeable but usable.
Photo of ExedeNeil

ExedeNeil, Official Rep

• 41 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Some equipment problems for beam 329 tonight - being fixed. Sorry about that.
Photo of ExedeNeil

ExedeNeil, Official Rep

• 41 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Getter better now ...
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Wow, much better now!  Doesn't even seem like Liberty Pass speeds:

Thu Feb 11 2016 @ 12:02:15 am 9.4 Mbps

(Edited)
Photo of ExedeNeil

ExedeNeil, Official Rep

• 41 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Partly because traffic load had died down due to the equipment issues; is building up back to normal now
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Well, what ever you're doing thanks (knock on wood).

FWIW and although not on a Liberty Plan things do seem a little more stable over the past 5 days or so. Even individual speed tests haven't show as much variance as they were.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Old Labs  -

From what I understand they have found some things that can be done to improve the experiences users are having on our Beam as well as some others that seem to have been experiencing some sporadic issues.  Once Exede has gotten things squared away completely, I believe Neil will chime back in and let us know.

While I am not exceptionally happy it took a month of documenting and 4 pages of posts to get someone's attention, I am overjoyed that we are seeing improvements.  Many thanks to Neil and the others at Exede that are working on this!
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Is this for real?  Things are really humming these days in Beam 329.  I am regularly posting 10.0 dB SNR when it used to run about 8.5 dB.  My Liberty Pass speeds are fantastic:

Beam 329 Liberty Pass: Thu Feb 11 2016 @ 11:27:16 pm 12.47 Mbps

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Shhh.....JEP......Someone might hear you.  Good to know that you are seeing improvements as well.  Now we just need Spinninghorse to chime back in and let us know if he got squared away as well.  I also wonder if Lorrie isn't seeing some better things too even though she is on a different Beam.  It would be interesting to hear.  Good to know that others are seeing improvements!  It means all of this was worth it.  

Old Labs...hows in the LNFZ for you?  Has it also improved?
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 266 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Hey, Brian, I have posted a couple of responses recently. I have seen improvement, although not the same level as others have seen. I just checked and at 12:45a I have 4.28 Mbps / .71.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Old Labs...hows in the LNFZ for you?  Has it also improved?
I really haven't had any issues with the LNFZ but typically only use it now between 4:00 AM - 5:00 AM where speed tests on testmy and DSL reports consistently in the 19 Mbps range (using the San Francisco and San Jose servers respectively and DSL reports showing a lower percentage of retransmits that in the past).

Had a few bytes to spare last night during primetime around 7:00 PM and was getting 10.8 - I'm frugal being on the Classic 10.

Only other observation is that for the past week none of the sporadic resets that had been occurring daily during prime time (modem has been online/connected for 6 days without any). So the appearance is that things are better, but appearances can be deceiving.   

Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Brian, I am wondering if this could be an example of  what you have talked about in the past, namely problems being assumed to all be due to "normal congestion" where really there were some issues that could be fixed or at least improved--once Exede realized the problem existed.  As you have said before, this is why it is important to report problems and then be persistent in spending the time to keep reporting it.

The "group" reporting which has happened on this particular discussion may be a better way to report certain problems, since it points out that a whole group of people are experiencing the same problems, and not just one customer on the phone at a particular point in time.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Concerted efforts like this one (as well as past ones) work provided they stay focused.

Primarily because they enable engineers like Neil who "lurk" on these public forums (a "trick" many of us rely upon elsewhere)  the opportunity to glean important pieces of information that otherwise might be lost in translation through multi-tiered support channels. Frequently even a seemingly trivial piece of information that's not properly relayed can trigger an epiphany when up to your neck in alligators... see something, say something...
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 266 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
What other company puts this much effort into resolving an issue? I do believe we did it the right way (Thank you, Brian) by focusing on our beam, our speed tests at all different times during the day - we kept the thread going. Having been in IT (ok, DP back then) since '81, I realize it is hard to address an issue when it is just one person 'complaining'.  Exede obviously noticed the thread and acted on it. Kudos to customers that kept level heads and to Exede, ExedeNeil and his team for working on our Beam 329 issue. While my speed test results may not be as good as others, I do see improvement.
Photo of ExedeNeil

ExedeNeil, Official Rep

• 41 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
A few improvements have been made that seems to have made a real difference for a few beams that had poor signal levels.
We are not done yet. Few other things need to be fixed.
Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Very interesting, Neil.  My Rx SNR has definitely improved from a week ago, but I have to think it was the "other improvements" that have really helped.  I would think there would be no difference in speed/connection stability between an Rx SNR of 7 dB and one of 10 dB.  Just a larger link margin for bad weather.  In any case, it is a short term sample, but I'm loving my Liberty Plan right now.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 273 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
I believe my Rx SNR use to be consistently in the 3 to 3.5 range and now it is at 8.0 dB.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Just completed a half-hour Skype video chat using Liberty Pass!  Video quality was good, although motion caused blurring of the images.  Attached image is a Skype snapshot of my grandkids.   Very happy with the Liberty Plan here in Beam 329.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Here are my current stats:

Rx Power: -52.1dBm
Rx SNR: 6.7dB
ODU Telemetry status Active 
Cable Resistance2.5Ohm
Cable Attenuation20.8 dB

Just run speedtest shows 19.9 Mbps down and 3.10 Mbps upload.  Seems maybe the cold weather might come into play for the cable resistance and attenuation?  I checked and the connectors all the way through are good and it is the supported correct cable type.

Great speeds and thank you Neil for your efforts again as well as the others that are working on it.

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Brian - Wonder how long your coax is from the TRIA to the modem/  That attenuation seems awful high.  My attenuation occasionally is zero and has been as high as 12 dB.  My coax length is about 15 feet.  If you are getting the good speeds, that provides a good level of satisfaction.  FWIW, my numbers are:

Rx Power: -43.7dBm
Rx SNR: 9.8 dB
Cable Resistance:1.0 Ohm
Cable Attenuation: 1.6 dB

Tx IF Power: -33.8 dBm
Tx RF Power: 27.2 dBm
Temperature: 20° C

Beam 329 Liberty Pass: Sat Feb 13 2016 @ 4:38:51 pm 4.8 Mbps

(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 266 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Here are my numbers at about 6:45p 2/13:

Rx Power: -42.4dBm
Rx SNR: 8.7 dB
Cable Resistance:2.0 Ohm
Cable Attenuation: 8.7 dB

Tx IF Power: -25.2 dBm
Tx RF Power: 32.8 dBm
Temperature: 0° C

Beam 329 Liberty Pass: Sat Feb 13 2016 @ 6:42:23 pm 14.81 Mbps / 1.13 Mbps 

Photo of ExedeNeil

ExedeNeil, Official Rep

• 41 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I know that Brian's cable resistance and attenuation levels are relatively high. I will check with the Customer care team.
Spinninghorse - I see better upload speeds on your modem based on an internal test. Do you generally see such low speeds? Which speedtest site do you use?
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 266 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
ALWAYS see the low speeds. I use speedtest.net.
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Liberty Pass exceeding expectations again tonight.
Beam 329 Liberty Pass: Sun Feb 14 2016 @ 11:51:15 pm 5.97 Mbps

One day left on the Pass mode and then I will be back on Priority data, but I don't even care.  I can do almost anything I want to do with these speeds.
Photo of Marcus

Marcus

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hey guys I'm so glad that I happened upon this thread while doing research on which satellite internet service I wanted to go with. Because of what I learned on this thread , I decided to go with exede Liberty 18 plan. I've only had the service for a little over a week but so far I am ecstatic with the service. I was previously on dsl through my local telephone company who had majorly oversold their dsl line. I was paying $60/month for speeds that were supposed to be 8 Mbps, however I rarely ever got speeds higher than .50 mbps!!! After fighting with them for a year and having no other options in my rural area, I finally made the call to switch to exede! So far I am extremely happy. I did burn through my priority data much quicker than I had anticipated and was anxious that my internet would become unusable. I have been very pleasantly surprised however as I have yet to experience any speeds lower than 2.5 Mbps during the prime time hours and most of the time the speeds have been 5+ Mbps! I want to thank you guys as this thread helped me decide to pull the trigger and switch to exede! I'm in se Kentucky and am on beam 327 I think. I'm told that it is one of the most congested beams, but so far I am beyond thrilled with my service!

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Glad it could help! That was my intention of this thread - give people thinking about switching as much info as possible about it so they can make an educated choice.
Photo of Marcus

Marcus

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Maybe I spoke too soon. After having speeds on the Liberty pass yesterday, last night, and this morning of 3.5 + Mbps with mostly hovering around 5 Mbps, since about 12:30 this afternoon I've been experiencing speeds of less than 1 Mbps. There has been a rain/snow mix weather system in the area and has been extremely overcast and foggy. Does anyone know if these weather conditions may possibly be the reason for the slowdown? Or are these speeds actually more typical of the Liberty pass in beam 327. As this is just my second full day on the pass I don't have enough experience with it to know. If anyone has any ideas on this please let me know. Thanks!

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Yes weather can definitely impact speeds. I still have Priority data and am getting around 6.5 Mbps when normal is 12 to 20 depending on time of day. I would wait for weather to clear before calling it a problem. If it doesn't improve with clear weather then I would call customer care and see if there are any known issues in the area.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Marcus - Oh, OK.  Liberty Pass mode during prime time with ice, snow & rain.  Yep those slow speeds are indeed possible. Heres mine:
Beam 329 Liberty Pass Bad weather: Mon Feb 15 2016 @ 6:25:03 pm 118 Kbps
Ouch!
(Edited)
Photo of Marcus

Marcus

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Glad to say that I think weather was my issue. After some clearing late last night and early this morning my speeds with the liberty pass have returned to the 5 Mbps range for the most part. Another rain/snow mix system is moving in now but so far my speeds are remaining in the 3-5 Mbps range! As slow as it got yesterday it was still better than my best day on my local phone companies dsl! Still very much pleased with my decision to switch! Thanks again guys!
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Clear weather and back to priority data;

Beam 329 Liberty Priority: Tue Feb 16 2016 @ 11:31:30 pm 17.77 Mbps

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
The last week speeds have been a little slower on Priority - closer to the 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps while on priority data where I was getting 12 Mbps - 20 Mbps.  In and of itself, that is not a big deal.  The other problem that seems to have returned is that when typing in a web address, the page goes to the address, but it is just a blank page or it is a simplified version of the page with no text. A refresh of the page will usually bring it up.

Same happens when trying to run a speedtest at testmy.net and when clicking on links in other pages.  The new page seems to load and the browser no longer shows activity, but the page is blank.  Refresh brings it up again.

Anyone else seeing this same behavior?  I am still on priority data, but will be flipping to the pass with 12 - 15 days left so would like to see the problem (if it is one) resolved before switching as in my experience problems while under the pass are ruled as issues with high traffic, whereas I do not think that is the case for these types issues.

The issue seems to be DNS resolution as it seems the DNS does not resolve although I do not lose packets and can communicate via IP address just fine.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Anyone else seeing this same behavior?
I see this behavior sporadically (although mostly during prime time). Investigation with the developer tools at my disposal suggests they are in fact DNS resolution issues that come and go. More often than not, I'll experience them in retrieval of cascading style sheets (CSS) which govern the display of retrieved data. In many cases it results in a jumbled display despite the presence of all other elements on a page. For me personally it's more annoyance than anything else.

P.S. FWIW and for me, it does seem to be more prevalent on non-secure (i.e HTTP) sites suggesting that the Accelenet technology may be a factor. Rarely, if ever, do I encounter it on secure (i.e. HTTPS) sites but haven't paid close attention; however that observation may be skewed now that the majority of sites I visit have switched to HTTPS.                     
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
I also see this once in a while.  Refreshing the page solves the problem.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Cruising along with good speeds on Beam 329 Liberty Pass on Monday morning.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
I'd file a class action - it's only supposed to be 1 -5 Mbps ;)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

:-)

It is often above 5 Mbps, but this may be the highest I have seen it in the Pass mode.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
How are things tonight on the Pass? O am getting about 3.5 Mbps while still on Priority data. On another note can anyone share their RX SNR and Cable Attenuation for comparison? Min SNR is back up to about 8.8 to 9 from 5.6 and my Attenuation is running around 15 right now
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Here's what I have tonight:

Beam 329 Liberty Pass: Mon Mar 14 2016 @ 11:10:09 pm 5.77 Mbps

Rx SNR: 7.9  (That's lower than normal 9.0, because of rain)

Cable Attenuation: 5.8 dB

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Whoa... is it just me or is everyone else on beam 329 (for their zip code) no seeing advertised speeds as "up to 5 Mbps" for new customers (i.e. Exede 5 plans for new customers) on exede.com?   
(Edited)

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Nope. I see that too. Interestingly Liberty Plans were available for like a day on this Beam again and now we are back to classic with 5 Mbps speeds. Additionally the esvt tools have shown congestion in the area for about the last 24 hours and the top speeds I have seen under Priority data have been 4 Mbps. I am hoping this was just due to cloud cover but also wondering if there isn't another technical issue being worked on currently. Seems like 329 has had some regular issues over the last month or so. I am about tobflip to pass mode so will see what things are like once that occurs.

I am supposing the 5 Mbps plans are being offered to max out the capacity on the Beam without overcommitting on service delivery for new customers. I am also supposing this won't overly affect existing customers. Ibreally thing the ones that jumped into the Liberty Plan are the lucky ones on this Beam. Especially now that classic offers speeds no better than Liberty.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Wow!  Back to only the Classic Plans and "up to 5Mbps" at that!  Glad I jumped on the Liberty Plan when I did!  Maybe the Liberty Plans were too successful in garnering customers but not in distributing the load.  Or as Brian suggested, they are just filling up the last little bit of capacity with these 5Mbps plans.  Or maybe, there is no difference between the new Classic Plans and the old ones.  Just lowering the expectations for speed, and improving their FCC evaluation rating. ???

Anyway, in Beam 329 on Liberty Pass and in the rain I am pulling:

Tue Mar 15 2016 @ 8:13:49 am 5.17 Mbps Download

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Yep, I now have no incentive to becoming a "new" subscriber by dropping NRTC.

FWIW, according to some feedback elsewhere that congestion indicator is static on  My eSVT per beam with changes to come.

Squeezing as much blood out of the stone until a new slingshot is available.  
(Edited)

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
That is interesting Old Labs.  The congestion indicator just started showing Red yesterday.  Prior to that it was Green.  I just dropped to the Liberty 10 Plan from the 18.  Since I am not getting priority speeds anyway, might as well not pay for them for that extra 8 GB of data :)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
** UPDATE ** - My previously posted speed of almost 13 Mbps while on Liberty Pass was a glitch.  For some reason, my data usage was rolled back slightly and I was actually using Priority data again!  Don't know how that happens. See my usage graph below:

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I just had to share this.  Wireless carriers have nothing on Exede....

Speedtest I ran just now.....lol...Must be the caching at the gateway or something.  I have a 4 year old modem so I doubt this is accurate, but wanted to share :)

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Classic 12 Plans once again available on Beam 329!  Seems that Exede is bouncing all over the place with what is being offered here.  I don't remember ever seeing plans switch around like this in the past.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 273 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Are you seeing it for existing customers?  I just looked and I do not have Classic plans available, only Liberty.  I thought they made Classic plans available to new customers in the past month or so.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
No it only shows for new customers.  I still have Liberty options on my.exede.net.  If you really wanted to switch back you could probably call in and they could do that for you.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
And Liberty is now back for new customers on 329 (with the disclaimer that it may be available and to contact a local dealer in the area).

I suspect this has simply been a glitch in the plan availability logic... 

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Either I have hit my Liberty Pass Quota for the Month or Beam 329 is having some exceptional issues today.  For the past 2 weeks I have been easily getting the 1 Mbps to 5 Mbps speeds expected with Liberty no matter when.  Just tonight speeds are sub 500 Kbps.  All modem stats and the esvt tool are showing good.  Only thing in esvt is the congestion indicator, however that has been red for nearly two weeks straight.

Anyone else on Liberty or otherwise seeing issues tonight?

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Based on what Customer Care just told me, my supposition about "heavier" users getting slowed to nearly unusable speeds at some point is, in fact a reality if they go over a particular threshold.  Currently no one can tell me what that threshold is, however it would appear that this threshold is approximately 8x for the Liberty 10 Plan.  Now, if someone could tell me for certain that it was, in fact a multiplier of 8 I would go ahead an upgrade my plan back to a higher bandwidth one.  Without that however, then I am not willing to do this.  Someone from Exede, please tell us what the magic quota number is for Liberty users is before their speeds get slowed to nearly unusable.

Now if it is indeed 80 GB for the Liberty 10 plan, I am more than dissappointed as I know I used way more than that on the classic plan previously with their "unmetered connection".

So, based on what support just said, Exede does indeed throttle speeds slower and slower and may even get to a point where it "won't work at all" (quote from the tech support person I just spoke with) as you use more data over your Liberty Pass Priority Data quota.

This goes against what was implied and never directly answered by the exede reps in this thread previously.  I specifically asked if the above behavior was the way it was going to work and what those numbers were and I was led to believe that it was not.  Now this may just be a technical issue on Exede's end this evening, she did say there were some issues in the support center they were aware of, but no problems shown for our Beam currently.

I will post a follow up tomorrow.  Not promising that I had to call back as the original  call got disconnected........
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 266 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Brian - I wasn't online tonight so I cannot report on the speeds, but the esvt tool has shown red, like you said, for two weeks or almost since we have had access to it.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Speeds back to normal(ish) this morning.  Not sure what the rep I was speaking with was looking at, but at least on my end the ESVT tool when it finally did load was showing problems on my connection for gateway, packet loss, and throughput.  As I said she also said they were having systems problems at the support level as well so it might have all been related.  I was just a bit taken aback that immediately out the gate it was the same old "You've gone over your allotted data" and I could not get it through the support person's mind that I knew that, but this connection is experiencing something other than the capped slowdowns that I am used to experiencing.

I was furthermore even more taken aback when she said (and again this is a direct quote) "as you use more and more data past your Priority Data usage allotment for the month ,the connection will slow down more and more and may even get to a point where it won't work at all"

That directly contradicts what Exede has led us to believe in this thread AND what they are selling.  The reps insinuate that Liberty is not hard capped outside of the 1 Mbps to 5 Mpbs speeds whereas the rep I spoke with told be something very different.  I am choosing to believe that (as in the past) the person I was speaking with on the phone may not be well informed and was sticking to a script of some sort (sure sounded like it....).

We will see how the next few days go and I will keep this thread updated.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
This will be my last post to this thread as I am now satisfied that Exede is indeed committed to provide the 1 Mbps to 5 Mbps speeds they advertise for Liberty users even after going over their usage significantly.

There are times I have seen speeds slow down to 1 Mbps to 2 Mbps, however there are times I also see speeds above the 5 Mbps in the lighter use times.  I do believe that Exede has corrected the previous issues on this Beam and that for anyone that is interested in our area, Liberty is a good option if you use significant amounts of data and don't necessarily need the full speeds of Priority Data from 12:00 AM to 5:00 AM (if on the classic plans).  

Thank you Exede for fixing the issues and getting things working well for us.  I am  hoping to start another thread about how things have worked since the changes and fixes as well.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Brian - Thanks for starting this thread and for hanging in there to get things squared away in Beam 329.  This thread helped me make the jump to Liberty and I have been very happy with that.  No more late nights doing the big downloads. I updated my wife's computer to Win 10 and Office 2016 today and didn't think twice about doing it.  Right now I'm sitting at 36GB used on my 18GB plan and I still have 5 Mbps downloads during the day.  
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I'm giving it a try but, that's because my partner went back over the road during the week so, only one user weekdays now and two on weekends. I think 30 GB will be fine most months. (Not this as my step son stayed here last weekend to babysit the wolfdogs and, streamed about 5 hours of HD video via On Demand but, we allowed him to do that.)

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Bev - I can attest that you should be able to see decent speeds on the Liberty even after the 30 GB is used up.  In fact, I dropped my plan back to the 10 GB plan as the speeds were acceptable even during the congested times now that they have fixed the issues on our Beam.  I think you will find you can do the same and save some money :) 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Thank you Brian. I'm actually on 332 and, it's acting like I have a school or five on the same beam. Worst congestion (according to ESVT and, my slowest speeds even on Priority) are school hours. Weekends and after school hours I see close to advertised speeds and, late night above advertised.

That doesn't surprise me, there are two community colleges withing 75 miles of me that are both too far out of the city to have DSL and, 6 schools K-12 within 50 miles the same way. Even in the small town my mail comes from (20 miles from my home) there is only satellite and New Wave for internet - no cable/DSL.
(Edited)