Experience with Liberty Pass on Beam 329

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
First off let me just say Merry Christmas to Everyone. Being that this is likely one of, if not the most heavily used times of the year for our beloved Exede service, I figured I would document our experience on Liberty Pass for you.

We are on Beam 329 in central VA and just recently had the option to change to the Liberty Plan. After about 2 hours of pros and cons comparison I switched with the thought of "if Exede really can deliver what they promise this is the best plan for me. " So we switched to the Liberty 30 and had a great experience while under the Priority Data with once exception - through the day at various times our connection drops for about 30 seconds. It is not terribly consistent and only started after switching. That is off subject though. Back to the main event.

On Christmas my son opened an Xbox one and the dreaded Halo 5 (dreaded from a satellite data perspective). Also had to download and install Office 2013 on my daughters Macbook. Now I still had about 16 GB of data left with 13 days to go. I figured if we are going to test it, bow would be the time. Boy oh boy have we tested it. Here are our observations:

On Christmas even under Priority data the connection was very slow. I cannot give you and exact result as I was downloading things so no result would be accurate, but even under Priority Data I believe in checking we were only getting a 2-5 speeds. After nearly 24 hours we used up the remaining 16 GB. Now I will do the math on that to determine what the average speed was, but it seems that is really a long time if we were indeed getting the expected 10 to 12 speeds under Priority data. I state this only to observe that Beam 329 is still very congested and obviously oversubscribed a bit in that if all users hit it at once, they cannot really deliver the full speeds of 10 to 12. Regular browsing however worked fine as did email meaning that the noticeable speed issues was only related to long downloads. So day after Christmas we flipped to the Pass and now for my experience on that.

Bottom line from about 6:00 AM to sometime in the afternoon consistent speeds of 2.5 to 5 are typical. In the evening (so far tested from about 7 PM to 2:30 AM) speeds are abysmal at 400K to 700K. Now the thing about those speeds is they are still very usable for just about everything so again the internet browsing is a little slower but not completely noticeable. There were moments my device said it could not load a page, however that may be more due to the issue of periodic disconnects so I am not ready to point to being on the Pass as the problem. What I did find in doing the speed tests and trying some very low setting remote control sessions is that while traffic did not appear to be dropped, it queued. So in tests and testmy.net it would show a variance of throughput with very consistent drops to 0 which is where traffic appears paused but then would resume. In a 3 MB download test this would occur 4 to 5 times with the results in the 400K to 700K. It essentially may the remote control unusable as the pauses terribly delayed any screen responses to actions on the other end. I have used this same software on a 512k DSL and it worked fine as well as very slow 3G wireless with 300k speeds and it also worked fine so I know it isn't the speed, it is the traffic manipulation. Any downloads seem to work just fine, they do not time out but instead are obviously very slow in the congested time period.

Now I still have a week and a few days on Liberty Pass so we will continue to test and document the experience through that time with daily results checked and updated as I can do so. Not sure how the LNFZ and EBFZ folks are doing with speeds overnight. I would be interested to know of you are getting very slow speeds as well since I believe LNFZ and EBFZ traffic also takes second seat to Priority data (discovered and discussed when I first switched to Liberty). So it would seem traffic prioritization is Priority Data, Free Zones, and then Liberty.

I will keep this updated. Any other congested Beam experiences with Liberty welcome.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3705 Posts
  • 3724 Reply Likes
On 329, LNFZ is typically slow for me between 12:00 AM and 3:00 AM (1 - 1.5 mbps) to the extent I've now become an early riser around 3:30AM - much to the delight of the dogs. Haven't done any speed tests during that time only because it's fast enough for my purposes. Will check tomorrow AM if I remember.

Being a little more cautious and following Liberty experiences both here and elsewhere since it's not a simple upgrade for me (NRTC) and requires becoming a "new" customer (if it were simple I'd have switched already - an hour and a half of usable free zone doesn't buy me much any more).    
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 175 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Hopefully others in VA can comment. I am in central VA and the service has been horrible from about 5p until past midnight for about 2 weeks. I am still toying with the idea of moving over to the Liberty plan. I did get my $50 bill credit coupon that expires 1/31/16. I am disappointed that Exede does not track/know what a customer's total usage is every month. They can only tell you what you used of your limited plan, for example, 85% of your total allocation of 15GB or you used it all that particular month. They can tell you somewhat of how it was used, but no clue of what is used during LNFZ. Question for you, Brian, did you know, close enough, what your total usage was every month, including LNFZ, so you knew which Liberty plan to select? Next question, have there been any surprises? Are you using what you expected or is your actual data usage higher than you expected now that you no longer have the LNFZ?
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2742 Posts
  • 1723 Reply Likes
While I am not on beam 329, I would suggest you use a data tracking program such as GlassWire or Networx to track your usage. I use GlassWire, but also, my router has a data tracker built in, which keeps track of all the internet traffic from all devices, daily, last 24 hour period, and most recent period. That takes care of the fact that the exede meter only counts data up to your Liberty Priority data limit. GlassWire has the additional feature of showing what application used data, however, it only keeps track of the data on the computer it is installed on.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Spinninghorse - I could stay within my 15 GB pretty easily with some limitations on the service.  I pretty much stopped using the LNFZ as I stay up late and do not like getting up early so the LNFZ stopped being useful to me months ago when everyone seemed to discover the joys of PlayOn and PlayLater.  I knew I would blow through the data this month and made a calculated choice to go from the Exede 15 Classic to the Liberty 30 with the thought of usable internet is better in the evening than no internet at all once I am at my limit.

To answer the surprises question.  When I connected my PC directly to the satellite modem I blew through 8 GB of data in a day.  That shocked me.  I only did that as my firewall died.  I put a Microtik cloudsswitch in now and data was back to normal for me.  Family uses throughout the day even on the Pass with few issues.  I can download things and do things during the day if I am home with no real problems.  It really is the early afternoon to early morning that speed suffers so Terribly.  I guess I would say I compare it to what my experience was with the Classic plan 3 years ago when I signed up after hitting my data limit at those peak times.  All other times it seems very usable.  I think Exede may have moved too quickly to offer Liberty in our area, but maybe they are still tweaking things and maybe once the holidays pass we will see better performance.

Old Labs - your experience with LNFZ is exactly why I switched.  It was pretty much useless to me.  That being said what I am finding is that 1 MB you are getting is better consistent traffic throughput that the 500K I get on the Liberty Pass - meaning the traffic seems to be handled better for the LNFZ than for the pass folks - which I would expect.  I just wish I could get consistent throughput at the slower speeds instead of the pauses in traffic flow that speeds tests are showing.
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 58 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I am in Central Va as well, and am toying around with the Liberty 30 pass.For the past 2-3 weeks, afer 5pm, the service is almost unusable. Incredible lag, very slow speeds. And since Christmas day, no email.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Results from Testmy.net @ 5:10 PM - 1.1 Mbps.  

Steve - I use webmail when at home so really light on resources there.  I am betting things  get much more usable after the 1st of January, however my gut is still telling me Exede miscalculated on the traffic utilization on our Beam.  That being said, they have brilliantly covered the problem with the disclaimer when people sign up.  We will see how things progress from here and I am hoping for better, however I am also hoping for more clarity in the "heavy user" clause as well.  My biggest fear is that suddenly a ton of people switch and the same experience you and I are having from 5:00 PM on becomes a 24x7 experience.

We will see ....

Thank You,
Brian Shackelford
(Edited)

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Results from  test @ 6:11 PM - 916 Kbps with the test dropping to 0 many times.  I will post a  grouping of updates tomorrow.  Feel free to add your own in you are on Beam 329 or in the VA area.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3705 Posts
  • 3724 Reply Likes
Speeds for me on 329 have been pretty much in the tank for the past week or so during prime time.

Download test just now at 7:00 PM was 1.6 mbps - and I've been nowhere near dapped on the Classic 10.

Reminiscent of last year's holiday rush and typically much better during the early AM hours. even seeing some of the same symptoms beyond simple slowness - e.g. intermittent secure connection failures and even had one a few moments ago on this site.

For now, I'm simply chalking it up as what has been the holiday norm, but not surprised yours are even lower in Liberty Pass mode.

P.S. Secure sites particularly slow but that's largely due to no magic Exede acceleration being applied at the Accelenet server. Even the simple home page here takes around 20 seconds to fully load (when nothing's cached - about 9 seconds when portions cached but I typically run private with no history remembered between sessions) as some 40 separate requests are needed to do so.     
(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 294 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Thanks for the review of the exede plan.

I guess you don't have good cell phone coverage with a data plan.  My Verizon is used as hot spot, the rest of the family uses the Classic 25 plan, my 18G Verizon plan normally gives me 8 to 10 on the down load, so no switching for me until hopefully a new technology comes along, Verizon gives a larger, cheaper data plan, the new Sat is up and actually functioning. 

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Here are the stats for the evening.  Heading to bed..
----------
6:11 PM - 977 Kbps - testmy.net
7:30 ON - 2.1 Mbps - testmy.net
9:15 PM - 1.2 Mbps - testmy.net
10:02 PM - 1.2 Mbps - testmy.net
10:11 PM - 6.13 Mbps - speedtest.net
11:09 PM - 320 Kbps - speedtest.net
11:11 PM - 623 Kbps - testmy.net
11:33 PM - 638 Kbps - testmy.net
11:40 PM - 620 Kbps - speedtest.net
-----------

Tomorrow I will try to setup an auto test to run every 30 minutes overnight.  I just got my bandwidth logging setup so I can see throughput in 5 min increments. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3678 Posts
  • 3689 Reply Likes
FWIW, LNFZ speeds still sluggish (4 - 6 mpbs) from 3:00 until around 4:45 AM when they jumped up to 18 - 19 mbps. My guess is that automatically scheduled downloads taking a bit longer these days and most were smart enough to automatically terminate them before the LNFZ turns into a pumpkin.         
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
I'm in central va/329 also...still on the Classic 10gb plan...thinking about changing to Liberty pass, so I am very interested to read what is being discussed here.  The thing is, there DOES seem to be something going on with the priority period right now, so Brian I don't know how right now  you could tell for sure if this problem is actually because of your switch to Liberty pass, or is it just part of some overall Exede speed problem going on right now.   

Starting right around Xmas day and the day after, I was having TERRIBLE speeds...like 2 down and less than 1 up....every web page I tried to load took so long that it would time out....at one point I got a message from speedtest saying that my adblocker was "breaking"their page--weird because that was never a problem before...but I just deleted my adblocker and the speeds went up some, but not by much...

Anyway,,,so this is all happening right now WITHOUT my having switched to Liberty Pass, so again, I don't know how you can compare right now until things (hopefully) go back to a Little better speeds during the supposed "priority" part of the package....

The main reason I have been reluctant to switch to Liberty is because the basic premise is off....I rarely get the promised "faster"download speeds at all anyway...except once in a while for some reason they go WAY up for some hrs....and then back WAY down again....,so if I switch to Liberty, I will pay $10 more per month, for SUPPOSEDLY getting speeds of 12 or better (during the priority part of the plan, before using up that allowance) and yet, I rarely do anyway now on the classic plan...I hate that there is nothing I can seem to do about this problem.

I did email exedelistens@viasat.com, but the one time they checked my speed, of course it was in a brief "up" period and they said my speed was EXCELLENT with a download speed of 17---yeah that would be terrific, if that were the speed I get fairly often....I have thought about sending them my speedtest numbers, so they can see that the majority of the time my speeds are way below the promised 12 down, but I just don't have much optimism that anything can be done about this problem....

Also, when I read the exede info about  being in the Liberty pass, I can't exactly tell whether I might get into a problem where my speeds drop so low I can't do much of anything or not...it is pretty vague....depending on my usage and the usage of others and time of day.....I don't know.....

But I will be very interested to hear more from you about how your speeds go on your Liberty plan....
(Edited)

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Update on speeds this morning (12.29.2015):
-------------------
6:30 AM - 5 Mbps - testmy.net
7:00 AM - 5 Mbps - testmy.net
7:30 AM - 5 Mbps - testmy.net

From what I am seeing the AM is definitely much better than PM.  Again I am planning to setup some tests that monitor every 30 minutes over a 24 hour period.  The download size is set to 3 MB so as to keep it light on the resources and not abuse the system so to speak.  I will post once i have this setup this evening (hopefully by 7:00 PM or so) and have a few results to share.  

LorrieL - I definitely get the advertised speeds most of the time while under priority data.  The exception is the evenings over the last month - really over the last 2 weeks while the kiddies are out of school.  On Christmas day even with Priority Data it was definitely NOT very fast.

As mentioned earlier my son (and daughter - well OK and me) received an Xbox one for Christmas with HALO 5 and out of the box it requires 19 GB of updates between the OS and HALO.  Additionally office was 1.2 GB in size for my daugther's Macbook.  I started doing these updates around 2:00 PM and stopped them once I hit my priority data around 9:00 AM the next morning.  In that time I downloaded a total of 16 GB and was at 29.9 GB of my 30 GB allotment of data.  Now I did this on purpose so I could really experience the Liberty Pass for about 2 weeks and see if it would really work in real world usage for me during the heavies used time of the year for Exede on the congested 329 Beam (last 2 years have been much like this one).  

Anyway calculating that I downloaded 16 GB (actually a little less, but using that as the calculation) and the downloads were running for 19 Hours that comes out to an average speed of about 2 Mbps using the calculator found at: http://http://www.download-time.com/ .

That is definitely WAY lower than the expected or advertised speeds and means 1 of 2 things:

1 - Beam 329 is oversubscribed for the advertised service when under heavy usage by a large number of the subscribers at the same time (most likely cause in my opinion).

2 - Beam 329 or the gateway was experiencing some sort of problem during this time period. This seems less likely or we probably would have seen a response from someone at Exede indicating this fact.

This goes to my original question to Exede - if Beam 329 is so severely congested, so much so that it was closed to new subscribers not that long ago unless going through a local reseller, how can Exede now offer the Liberty Plan on this Beam?  I am certainly not complaining as I am signed up for it and think it will work well once through these heavy use times even in the evenings, but I really want to know what has changed with the configuration, subscriber levels, or Beam allocations, or technology that can allow these plans to be now available.  My bigger concern is that if everyone switches to this and starts to use it 24x7 as an unlimited service and suddenly everyone is on the Liberty Pass for the majority of the month, will this service end up like the old Classic plans and become completely unusable.  I have to believe that will not be the case, but there is no guarantee that I can find other than from 2:00 AM to about 5:00 PM Liberty Pass users should see good speeds.  Now that will only last until all of the LNFZ users switch and start using it from the 2:00 AM to 5:00 PM time slots as well.

Anyway I will keep this updated as I do further testing and gather more statistics.  
(Edited)
Photo of Russell Deihs

Russell Deihs

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

ATT recently upgraded the phone lines in my area....I mention this because I was told that anywhere they offer landlines they will soon be offering internet. that said we switched to unlimited usage with speeds averaging 18 for way cheaper than exede. I too live in the middle of nowhere but their were phone lines available so if what they say is true if you have phone lines att shoukd soon be available for you

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
There is NEVER going to be anything available where I live other than Cell or Satellite.  For the price Satellite is the better option.  Our county supervisors have been trapped in 4 different study and planning phases for over 10 years when it comes to internet.  No private company will run lines due to the ROI being minimal as out of the 200 houses on my road, most only care about TV and maybe 10 have Internet.  If it costs 100K or more per 1 mile of cable.  The ROI just isn't there.

I appreciate the suggestions for alternate solutions or services, however let's try to keep the thread on topic of experiences on Beam 329 or other congested beams.  
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Brian, I wonder why, since we live in the same beam, you would have had no problem with getting promised priority speeds, while I have for many months noticed a big drop in my speeds during prime time eve hrs and also during the LNFZ?  Do you have any idea why this would be, since we live in the same beam area?  I now rarely see my speeds go above 5/1or2, except occasionally during daytime hours, when I suddenly might clock a download speed as high as 17Mbps.  And within hours I see the huge drop again.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Do you use a wireless router?  If you haven't already done so, check the speed directly connected to your Exede modem and see if it is different than through the router,  we have had a few times when our router has slowed things down to less than 1 mbps but when we connected directly to the Exede modem we would be getting 12 or higher so the router was causing slower speeds for some reason which we have yet to determine.  Usually a reboot of the router "fixes" the problem but since we discovered this I always suspect my router first if speeds start to drag.  
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, rebooting my router doesn't improve things when this is happening...nothing seems to ....but thanks for the suggestion, Jacqueline.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
I really don't have a good answer for that. I will say there are times in the evening where I do not get the advertised speeds, however for the most part I do get the 10 Mbps to 12 Mbps and at times as high as 22 Mbps.

I just setup the automatic test to run every 15 mins and I am currently on the Liberty Pass so we will see how things look in a few hours. Initial tests tonight have been:

All done at testmy.net:
------------------------------
8:14 PM - 1.69 Mbps
8:15 PM - 2.17 Mbps
8:16 PM - 1.55 Mbps
9:02 PM - 472 Kbps
9:17 PM - 1.03 Mbps

We will have to see how it goes tonight as I have lost interest twice in 10 mins. Of course it seems my test system is still a Beta copy of Windows 10 so it may or may not play nice with Exede. It is using wireless with metered connection set.

I will post back in a bit.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 294 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Seems like priority data works pretty good, but when your out and the unlimited feature kicks in you are really in the limp mode.  Exede is then only fulfilling their contract by providing an excruciatingly slow connection.   I put XBOX and Netflix and the rest of real time streaming requirements not functions that satellite will probably ever support at any reasonable price even with new sat.

The new modem they are excited about would be great if there was a reasonable data plan to support faster speeds.   I get it, you need the hardware (modem) to support the potential increase in speed.  But without the data plan it is basically useless.

Yes it will have their phone capability, which they want to sell you, and the router capability which they want to sell you,  but this will all come at the cost of a new contract or purchase and i don't see where it will be a wise or needed investment without the unlimited unrestricted priority data plan.

Again, exede targets customers who have little or no choice.  They do provide a service that is needed, but it is what it is and will be never measure up to the cable type of service. They will continue to nibble away and attempt to provide better service/features, but improvements to to this technology will  move about as fast as when you are out of priority data.

You can always hope for a new cell tower and a reasonably priced data plan, or possibly a few microwave towers to support a data grid.  But if your county is like mine forget about it.

We will all have to all adjust our data/internet requirements to what sat can provide.

After the holidays, during the the early portion of the day, the demand will decrease a little because everyone will be back to work, but the prime time hours will probably get worse because of everyone using those new Christmas digital devices.

Happy New Year.

(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2740 Posts
  • 1721 Reply Likes
johnny c - Satellite internet was never intended to compete with land based cable internet systems. It was and is intended to provide a reasonable speed internet service to those of us in the rural areas with no access to the land based systems. Actually, the Liberty Plans are the best thing that has come to Exede, and works very well, even under the Pass, except in a very few of the beams, which appear to have very high network congestion. My guess is that some of the congestion will relieve itself as the kids go back to school, the others go back to work, and the new devices finish up their downloads and updates, and of course, the thrill of those new devices wears off a bit.

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
My guess is that some of the congestion will relieve itself as the kids go back to school, the others go back to work, and the new devices finish up their downloads and updates, and of course, the thrill of those new devices wears off a bit.

Crossing fingers.....crossing fingers.....crossing fingers....

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
I would truly appreciate - and so would probably anyone else following this thread trying to keep the posts on-topic.  I get it - you think that XYZ company would be better for internet than Exede.  Yes, in many cases I agree when talking about bandwidth allocation and limitations - except I only have three choices: Dial-Up, Exede, and Hughesnet.  Dial-Up is way too slow, Hughesnet has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.  Exede has been relatively great every time I have had to call in about something - which is not very often. 

Now, can we please try to stay on focus as the purpose of this post is to document the experiences on Beam 329 or other similarly congested beams.  My goal is to gather stats for a few days and keep updating this so others that are considering the switch can make an educated choice as to whether or not it will meet their needs.

Results from Last Night through this morning:
-------------------------------
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 7:53:28 am 4.78 Mbps 598 kB/s
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 7:36:48 am 4.96 Mbps 620 kB/s
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 7:21:38 am 5.16 Mbps 644 kB/s
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 6:36:03 am 5.34 Mbps 668 kB/s
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 5:21:06 am 11.25 Mbps 1.41 MB/s
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 4:11:00 am 1.80 Mbps
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 5:01:22 am 2.55 Mbps 319 kB/s
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 3:10:10 am 620 Kbps 78 kB/s
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 3:08:32 am 843 Kbps 105 kB/s
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 1:20:24 am 500 Kbps 63 kB/s
Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 1:16:17 am 697 Kbps 87 kB/s
Tue Dec 29 2015 @ 11:42:30 pm 523 Kbps 65 kB/s
Tue Dec 29 2015 @ 10:56:10 pm 837 Kbps 105 kB/s
Tue Dec 29 2015 @ 9:51:16 pm 929 Kbps 116 kB/s
Tue Dec 29 2015 @ 9:36:10 pm 582 Kbps 73 kB/s
Tue Dec 29 2015 @ 9:17:53 pm 1.03 Mbps 129 kB/s
--------------------------------

I am going to try to setup a Linux system to do the testing tonight as my Windows 10 (Beta) system seems to have an issue with the Networking stack which keeps disconnecting the test.

Further results to come.  I am hoping to have a few days worth of measurements consistently over the next several days and post them here.  Sorry I couldn't have those for this post, but I will get them as soon as I can.
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Brian, as I mentioned, I haven't switched to Liberty pass, and the above speeds outside of the LNFZ look like what I am getting in my classic plan, within my allotted "priority time" without ever going above my allowance of 10gb per month..Meaning I get the promised download speeds of 10-12 only once in a while and during daylight hours even now, without switching to something like Liberty pass;.and I use up my alotted 10 gb slower and slower every month because my overall speeds have dropped so low in the last months....
--for the most part, I get low speeds like that round the clock these days, except for occasional spikes of much higher download speeds during daylight hours....so if I pay $10 a month more for Liberty pass, then looks like I can then expect even lower speeds during LNFZ  hrs (no longer called LNFZ once I am in Pass period when I go over my allotment and switch to a Liberty pass period), which I think is exactly what the Exede written info describing Liberty pass describes...
Here is a quote from the exede document :
"If most of your internet usage occurs from about 5pm to 2 am, you may find the benefits of the Liberty plan to be limited"--this would seem to be true from the numbers you are getting--doesn't it seem like your numbers are in keeping with the quoted statement?  This is the sentence in article which made me stop and question whether I should go to Liberty pass, or not.  I mean doesn't it seem like the speeds you are getting are in keeping with what Exede says about the Liberty pass plan?

I could go ahead and spend $10 a month more for the liberty plan, just so I can start streaming whenever I feel like it, except it sounds like I can't look at it that way at all....it means I would have to limit streaming to daylight hours when I don't usually use my pc as much anyway....

So, it sounds like I really might be better off staying with what I have now, since I am already paying for something that exede is no longer able to consistently deliver--namely download speeds averaging 10-12 Mbps---as I said, I see that kind of speed not often at all anymore...and again, I am always talking about when I am within my allowance, since I never go over.  So I am actually paying for a Classic plan which now delivers average speeds of 2-5Mbps download.

It really bothers me to think about signing up for a new plan when I KNOW what they are promising is just not possible for me to get....at least where I live in beam 329.  And I suppose my Exede 2 yr contract period would start up again on the date I switch to a new plan????

when you are at download speeds less than 1 Mbps, how much does that limit your use?

For me, where I live, it seems like the best I can hope for is that MAYBE next year when the new satellite goes up, MAYBE my speeds will improve again?  And maybe other plans with better guarantees of good speeds 24/7 will be offered?

See, I am also bothered by the "ifiness" of speeds promised by Exede during the pass period when it's between 5p and 2am (although the very slow speeds seem to be continuing beyond 2 a.m.I think?)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Johnnyc, I do disagree with something you said...with speeds at 1-5 Mbps download, I certainly can on Exede satellite internet stream netflix or amazon prime videos with no problem....as long as I have the late night free zone, I can at least stream "unlimited" then, if I happen to be awake!  At other times, of course I have to watch that I don't exceed my allowance, but my allowance is going a lot further now that I almost never get speeds as high as promised anymore....

The main reason I would even think of switching to Liberty pass would be so I could stream netflix, etc during non-LNFZ hours, but it is sounding like having Liberty pass would just make the internet even slower, to where I am guessing I would no longer be able to stream during the hours between 5p and 2a....so seems like no point in switching and paying more money--with another contract stating that during the "priority" data period I have average speeds I am absolutely NOT averaging anymore.

I do wish that exede would  amend their contracts to state the fact that if you live in certain areas, the actual average speeds are LOWER than 10-12 Mbps download....I now get OCCASIONAL speeds higher than 5 Mbps.  for very short periods of time.

It is just SO IMPORTANT TO ME that there is truth in advertising.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Brian - Here in Beam 329 on the 15 Classic I was getting frequent modem dropouts, Dec 23 through Dec 28.  Blamed the rain for a couple of those, but didn't explain all of them.  As for speeds, they have been slow, with pages failing to load. Something I have never seen before, is a failure to load message and then a couple seconds later, it loads without me doing anything. 
Not too bad right now:

Wed Dec 30 2015 @ 6:22:16 pm  13.12 Mbps
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
JEP you describe the exact experience I was having for the same dates....and now, except for my very much less than promised speeds (see post below) I am no longer having problems with pages not loading plus modem dropouts....
I finally decided it must have to do with unprecedented holiday congestion?
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Brian, I decided to take the time to actually post the kinds of speeds I have been measuring on speedtest.net in the last month--you will see that even with my exede classic plan,(I am not signed up for Liberty pass) without ever going over my allotted 10gb/month

RECENT DOWNLOAD SPEEDS EXEDE CLASSIC

(without having gone anywhere near over allowance)

12/30/15-- 6:14p--  2.9/1.23

12/29/15-- 8:02p --3.4/0.78

12/28/15-- 6:32p--  1.5/0.82

12/26/15-- 10:09p--  5.34/0.63

12/26/15-- 9:41p --2.43/0.46

12/16/15-- 7:50p--  2.68/0.22

12/11/15 --6:20p--  8.43/0.52

12/10/15 --1:18a --3.09/1.05

(oh, look, I got over about 5 one time--on 12/11--and still never made it to 10 or above)

obviously my use is occurring during prime time,so what good would switching to Liberty pass do me--I am assuming if I switched and went over my priority amount of data, that then my speeds would just be even slower.  even if my usage was supposedtly "unlimited" on liberty pass, at those slower speeds, what kind of internet access problems might I be having?

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Lorrie - a new plan does not extend your contract.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Thanks for that info.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 294 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Steve, i get it and agree, nothing new, they provide a service.  Without it most would be in a bind.

Ok to stay on topic:  I have the 25G plan for 3 years, before that wildblue.

I have 3.5 G left until the new year, so i'll be streaming away so i don't give exede any bytes back .After midnight, watching jazz concerts, i have no issues with my download speed, generally 8 to 10.

On topic, at 18:25 i just did the speedtest.net  13.11 download and 2.59 upload, i'm satisfied, happy no buffering, etc.  Because i manage my useage and use my verizon data plan as necessary., I don't play games, stream movies etc. So we get  it done in the 25G and the cell phone data plan which also delivers 10-12,(Mbps) i know you don't have service, so you have to conserve the priority data, ration it etc. whatever it takes.

LNFZ works the same, i generally watch a few youtube videos after midnight and that is when i do ALL of my computer updates.

Will i switch over to liberty, NOT a chance.

After you finish all of your tests, review my comments, they will pretty much summarize your results.

If Exede has a way of increasing the speed in beam 329, subdividing, etc. you'll see improvement if not don't count on less of a demand from all of the current users that  is probably not going to happen.

But for your sake and the kids that are actually trying to do their homework, research etc. I hope i'm wrong.

Happy New Year
(Edited)

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Johnny - Thank you for the feedback.  I am pretty much the only one that uses it late in the evening.  My wife and kids are more than happy as they use it during the day and are done in the evening.

I think I am going on 4 years of service with Exede and and I full expect that Liberty Pass will not remain available for long unless they are losing subscribers or are testing and tweaking the system to handle traffic better (that may be why Beam 329 is having so many problems).  We had a similar experience when Evolution was offered on our Beam.  Those on Classic plans had all kinds of issues.  

We will see.  I haven't seen real good statistical data really posted before, most people don't want to use their data to run speed tests.  

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Lorrie - 

There is something not right about your experience.  I have gotten as high as 22 Mbps when on priority data and I definitely got promised speeds while under Priority at least up until Christmas where I think everyone tried using the Satellite at the same time.  I expected this, but leading up to that I had no real issues.

Log into your modem and check the status page and see if you see anything suspicious there.  Also check to be sure nothing is obstruction the satellite to the sky.  I had a customer (I do not do anything with Exede specifically, but I am in IT support so I work with all kinds of internet problems) who had a tree branch grow into the path of the dish to sky line of sight and was causing all kinds of problems.  I myself have a tree top that is right next to the line of sight and in the summer time I am always wondering if this is the summer I will have to cut down that tree, but so far it has not interfered with it.

Open a case with an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and / or call the support line.  Be pleasant and calm and feel more than free to ask for a supervisor to assist if you do not feel the person on the line is being helpful.  My experiences have never mirrored the complaints I see here and the above is the process I take.  I have called back several times within a few hours as problems continue just to be sure my case is documented.  Each time I start of by documenting the time of the call and getting the name of each person I speak to as well as requesting a reference number or something that can track the call.  Ask about the congestion on your Beam and Gateway at the exact time you are calling as well as ask them which Beam and Gateway you are on.

Your speeds are not typical.  I do know that in the evenings they drop quite dramatically and maybe 2-8 is normal for heavy congestion on priority data, but it still seems awful low compared to my experiences.

The whole purpose of this thread is to put usable and actionable information out there for others to make informed decisions on the Liberty Pass.  Something I wish I had available to me.  I only used the LNFZ from about 12:00 AM to 2:00 AM when I used it as I still need my rest for work the next day and anything I need to queue to download I just pull down at the office and bring home on an external drive.  Since the 12:00 AM to 2:00 AM was pretty much maxxed out anyway I made the switch and one of the benefits everyone who reads this thread will get is that for the next 8 days I am still on the Liberty Pass and I plan do document the experience in real numbers.

JEP - 

I started to see the page not loading or a messed up version of a page loading about a week ago as well.  I just installed some VPN software (PureVPN) and thought it might have been that, but as it turns out it occurred on other devices too.  I believe this is their caching / proxy / whatever server and the way it is compressing data between the surfbeam modem and the way the modem is decompressing it.  This is just my opinion as I (of course) have no inside information on what Exede is actually doing.  From what I have read though, the equipment being used can compress traffic and decompress it on the other other end to push more data through with less bandwidth.  You can bypass this by using a VPN, but then you will also see a decent increase in data usage.

-------------

The experience on the Pass when things get below 1 Mbps is that it is usable for web browsing but pretty much anything else is a no-go.  I downloaded Neflix on my Nexus 6 last night starting around 1:29 AM and it finished at 2:33 AM.  I believe the download was around 45 MB in size.  If I calculate the time it took it comes out to a sustained throughput of about 100 kbps or 0.10 Mbps (I think that is correct).  The speedtests don't reflect this unless you run the larger ones.  What I see when I do is that the speeds during the test will be high ... near zero ... high .... hear zero .... high .... near zero so once the test is done it might be a high of 800 kbps  with a low of .09 kbps.  This is what makes the streaming and such not possible during those very congested periods.  I can watch Netflix just fine on a 300 kbps 3G signal as long as I let it buffer a few minutes, but the pausing in the traffic throws the buffering off when using Netflix via Exede at those times from 5:00 PM to 2:00 AM while on the Liberty Pass.

I am loading Linux up on a system tonight and connecting via an Ethernet cable so hopefully will have 15 or 30 minute measurements for tomorrow.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
I started another case with the EXEDE listens team again to get to them to PLEASE look at the problem and not do just one test during daylight hours and tell me the speed is excellent.  

Brian, note the times of those speeds I posted today...all during the most heavily congested time periods....and as I said, during the day these speeds may be substantially higher...I will need to do more daytime monitoring to show you what I mean....the 2-8 you mention is exactly the numbers I posted for those hours during DEc....and as I said, unless I actually checked them I wouldn't have known they were THAT low....except for the few days right around the 25th, I wasn't having actual problems related to low speeds.  So why are you so sure there is some equipment or mechanical explanation on my end?  If so, why would I VERY OCCASIONALLY get a download speed of up to 17, but only during the less congested daylight hours?

An awful lot of people might be experiencing speeds just as low as I am, under the same plan circumstances, and may not know it if they don't test, right?

The fact that the slowness hsn't interfered with what I wanted to do is exactly WHY I haven't been complaining to exede---not until I got the Liberty Pass offer, and realized that by signing up for that contract, I would actually be saying I believed I would get an average of 10-12 download speeds 24/7 while I was into the priority data phase...it just isn't right to me to sign that kind of thing --if exceed is so open about congestion problems, they can be "open" and accurate in their contract language as well.

But back to your original topic, Brian: 
 do you see what I mean about the numbers you are posting being within what Exede 
describes you can expect under the Liberty Pass period?  In which case there is nothing wrong, it is just the way Liberty pass is?

And your very low numbers would make some kind of sense, since Exede states in it's Liberty Pass description article that your speeds may be expected to be lower than 1-5Mbps when you are in the hours of 5p-2A---have you read the article?  It states:

"Liberty Pass users who use the service more heavily than lighter users may experience slower speeds depending on the level of internet traffic on our network in the customer's geographic ara.  Liberty Pass customers will receive lower priority on the network than subscribers who have not used their data allowance, which may result in slower speeds when the network is busy".

(And as I quoted earilier from this same article, the time period when Liberty users can expect the slowest speeds is 5p-2am--when you are getting your slowest speeds)

which may explain why the numbers I got tonight are slow, but not as slow as yours are, because I am still within my Gb allowance and you as a liberty customer in the Pass stage, have lower priority...

Are you having any problems now with using the internet the way you want, with the speeds being what you are posting in this discussion?  That is a point of great interest, since it answers the question of whether your switching to the Liberty plan is,so far at least,  actually having any negative effect on your usage during the hours of 5p-2a (the hours Exede itself says may be most problematic with Liberty plans).

PS--there are no obstructions between my satellite and the sky....

and if no one else is getting slow speeds such as I am getting during the hours of 5p to 2am, then what the heck are all these people on this message board talking about when they say their speeds are slow?  and remember, I am not saying I NEVER get higher speeds, but I don't ANYMORE during the primetime/LNFZ hours and I have watched the slowness gradually increase and increase over the last year......just doesn't sound like an equipment problem on my end, somehow....,

My annoyance at getting such slow speeds when my contract says something else is just one piece of the puzzle--perhaps more important is how well Liberty IS working for people during those particular primetime hours, since EXEDE points out that the Liberty pLan may NOT work best for people who use the internet mostly during those hours.  which is why I keep asking you how well yours is working during those hours....

I do appreciate your starting this discussion because you are describing exactly what I have been wondering it might be like if I switched to Liberty Pass....at this point having periods when I could NOT stream at all during the hours of 5p-2a is probably more than I want to sign on for....esp since it can't be made clear how often that would happen...and Exede itself in their printed data is not recommending the Liberty PASS plan for people whose most frequent use is during those hours.

I think it's a very interesting suggestion that perhaps this addition of the Liberty Pass plan to our beam might be responsible for some of the recent bigger than usual problems, like what happened right around the 25th-26th...perhaps some glitches due to system changeovers??

Although I just tried to sign on to the exede website and cannot because it just keeps timing out  "not available"--not a good sign.. :-(

Thanks.
(Edited)