Struggling with data allowance

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need of further response at current time.

I have struggled with the limited usage since the beginning.
From the start, customer service/tech support basically said their bandwidth measurements
may be different than what I had that’s why it is using so much. I previously
used Verizon WiFi hotspots that offered more performance, 60% less usage but I
never went over.  So now I get slowed
down each month due to usage. I stopped using it for a few months to make sure
the usage overage wasn’t caused by something on a home PC. Now I am back to
Exede and first full month I am online I am at 70% within 2 weeks.

I would highly suggest that you read all reviews before buying this
product there are many more dissatisfied customers than there are happy. In the
spring when the snow is gone I will be burying a conduit 1/2 mile down my
driveway and paying time warner $2500 to install a real internet connection.  At that time I will happily pay my
termination fee to cancel this service.

It’s too bad; the concept could work with realistic bandwidth offerings and
better customer service.

Photo of Brian Healey

Brian Healey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi Brian, I am sorry to hear you have not been satisfied due to data limitations.  We have over 550,000 Exede and Wildblue customers, and while you may find some people that are not happy due to limitations that they may not have understood at the time they purchased the service, we certainly have many more satisfied customers than disatisfied customers.  The reason you see so many more negative comments than positive ones is as consumers when things aren't working well, we tend to be very vocal about it, versus when everything is just fine, most of the time we don't speak up.  Because we try to keep things very transparent, we leave all the negative comments up, and only remove comments for violating terms of service or using abusive language.  We hope that potential customers not only see the negative comments, but also that somebody has personally responded and taken ownership of the issue, and worked with the customer to find a resolution.  

On the issue of your Verizon internet versus your Exede service usage, cell internet is much more compressed and typically has minimal advertisement, that is the reason why there is a difference in the usage even though it feels you are doing the same things.

All that said, I would very much like to help you in anyway I can.  Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your telephone number and the best time to call.  Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Brian,  I'm a former network engineer, and used to run a wisp.   Have used Hughes in the past, and was extremely skeptical of Exede.  Since I needed a dependable (wisp's are not) provider, for my telecommute access, I tried Exede.   I started with the 10gig plan and am now on the 25gig plan.  The speeds are above what was advertised.  I'm still a bit concerned they will over-subscribe the birds at some point, and performance will suffer.  Note, I am a heavy user, VPN and remote desktop server management for 8-10 hours a day.

Since I did the research, I knew more or less knew what to expect.   I can't and don't use Netflix at home now, knowing it will come out of my budgeted bandwidth, but that's fine.    What I have found is that it's reliable, and dependable if you manage your bandwidth just like your data usage on your cell phone.

I do manage and monitor my bandwidth closely, just like my cell phone.   I do take advantage periodically
of the LNFZ for big downloads and such.

It sounds like you may have had some unreasonable expectations.   Since I live in a rural area, 2 miles from the nearest cable drop, I'm quite happy with Exede's service.   I've only had 1 instance of rain fade that knocked out my vpn connection for 30 minutes.    I use my Voip switch on it with no problem either.

Probably my biggest wish is that Exede would offer lower speed plans with a larger cap.  Who needs 12Mb/sec when  2-5Mb/sec and more cap would work just fine.   I do know enough about the technology to understand that the faster requests are sent, the sooner the beams are available for other clients.

Exede isn't an open-ended faucet, but it is reliable and dependable.

Bill 
Senior System Engineer

Photo of Callen Gilbert

Callen Gilbert

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
 I  have requested the same thing Bill.  I would love to have my speed cut from 9 to 3 Mb /sec if I could have 75 g usage limit.   I don't understand how rain and especially snow do not knock you off  the air.  I get knocked off the air if it more than just sprinkles and I know 3 other families that have Excede and the same thing happens to them.  In fact our internet is knocked off before Direct TV during rain.

Callen 
Retired Network Admin/Engineer

Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Callen, because of the strength of our beam, you shouldn't lose service due to weather unless its a severe storm.  If you are having connection issues, we definitely need to troubleshoot that.
Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Callen, Josh is right, I have only lost signal in a few of our severe Texas storms. My signal stays at greater than SNR of 8.1, per the modem status page.
Photo of Renee Pennington

Renee Pennington

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well I am with Brian, got xbox for Christmas set it up on the 23rd and got a data usage alert saying I reached my limit when it had just re upped on the 20th. can't do youtube, watch movies or anything else fun...all you can do is go to your email without using up your data. When it is working and I haven't been slowed down it is pretty quick but let me watch an on demand movie and its all over........just wrong and pay the most I've ever paid for internet when I lived in the city for COMCAST........91.00 is alot to pay for a few days of service, just saying!  Deanna

Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Renee, understand. A lot of folks dont understand how much data is needed for video. I watched the pilot episode of Blacklist on HuluPlus, checking my usage before and after. it looked great on my tv in HD, but used 1.5gigs of data for 50 mins episode. That isnt Hulu or Excedes fault. its just the fact it takes a lot of data for video. I knew this and expected it. Why do you think DVD's hold 4.7gigs of data. They have to. BluRay's can hold up to 40gig.

Try recording just a 50 minute video on your iphone. See how fast it fills up.

You can do Youtube, (use 240, or 360p for better usage), but you are not going do full length movies without burning a lot of data.
Photo of Brian Healey

Brian Healey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Update from my first post.  I recieved my email stating I was at 70% on the 24th and recieved another email on the 26th stating I have exceeded th limit and was slowed to a crawl.  Exede your monthly bandwidth limits
Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Brian, do you by chance have software updates enabled on any of these devices?

Windows PC
Apple Mac OSX computer
Apple iPhones/Tablets

Apple pushed out IOS 7.0.4 this week, and the 2 ipads, and 2 iPhones happily sucked up nearly 800meg each.. That wont happen again:-)

Windows and OSX will do the same if you let them.

Bill
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Bill, you are making me feel redundant. :)  Brian, if you can email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your telephone number and the best time to call, I will be happy to go over your usage with you, and investigate any discrepancies.
Photo of Brian Healey

Brian Healey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
JOsh I emailed to that address 4-5 days ago and never heard from anyone
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Brian, I am very sorry, I just double checked and I never got an email.  The address again is exedelistens@viasat.com.  Once I get the email, I (or one of my 2 colleagues) will certainly call.  So sorry for the inconvenience.
Photo of Haley Ann

Haley Ann

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Bill maybe it's exedes job to make sure people know how much usage videos and such use. I made sure to specifically ask about that and the guy selling it to me assured me I could watch movies daily with the gb I was purchasing. Total lie.
Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Haley, no arguement. The installers do have a responsibility to both the customers and Exede, who they represent. Maybe Josh can work something out for you.
Photo of Haley Ann

Haley Ann

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Ha! Doubt it! I've never been so misled by a company in my life. These people don't want to help me, I've already talked to customer service and NOTHING but oh well sorry, give us your money for nothing.
Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Haley, not sure I can agree with you there. Seems that the company has at least 2 people actively responding to customers right here in this forum, which would lend credence that they are working to assure customer satisfaction.

Don't get me wrong, I will voice my opinion and vote with my checkbook too. I just switched 2 of my 4 cell accounts away from a carrier I have been with for 6 years. After 2 years of filing coverage complaints, and not getting a response, enough. The last 2 will follow shortly..

I had a car salesman promise me my new 1/2 ton pickup would get 30mpg.. Wasnt on the sticker as that. Never got more than what was on the sticker.

You should be getting XX gigs of data per month, at or around the speeds they publish. Period. If some guy promised you the moon, and its not on the website, or contract, why would you expect the moon? I am just saying... Now Excede might want to follow up and make sure your installer isnt writing checks they dont have the ability to cash..

Its our responsibility of how we manage the bandwidth we buy. If we dont fix a leaking faucet or toilet, that runs up our water usage, is that the water company misling us? Same thing.

Just asking...
Photo of Haley Ann

Haley Ann

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Bill I can tell you have a biased opinion here for the way you stand up for these guys, I find them to be cocky and arrogant. I was MORE then thorough on my explaining to the operator that signed me up of my ignorance on gbs and data usage and he took advantage of that, bad business practice period.
Photo of Bill H

Bill H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Haley, you are right. I do have a bias... Having managed a WIreless ISP, done telephone and email support, residential installs as well as worked on towers in the middle of the night, and be a customer, I tend to see both sides of the issue a bit differently.

There is no excuse for any mis-treatment, ftom either side, customer or compant, IMHO.

I wont unilaterally label every employee in a company as arrogant and cocky either. Having called support a few times, I found them helpful and pleasent. I am sure a few folks have called me arrogant too. Try talking an 80 year how to setup a modem on Windows XP.. It will try your patience, but they cant help it, they just need help.

Someone set your expectations incorrectly, that is unfortunate, and wrong.

I personally think its cool we can talk with their support folks right here, and they will call us directly. Try getting that from Hughes.. or ATT. Good luck with that.

So, yes, I am a bit biased. Hopefully, you can take advantage of the opportunity and work with them.

Bill
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hailey, if there is an issue I can help you with, I will be more than happy to do so.  All you need to do is just email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your telephone number and best time to call.  

Bill, thank you very much for the kind words.  We try to assist as many customers as we can through our forums and offer guidance and education to the community as a whole where we are allowed.  We, especially on the Social Media Team, fully understand that by the time we get involved a situation has usually escalated to the point where it requires immediate attention and that is why we are here.  We hope opening up alternative channels such as this one provides a more positive service experience for the customer.
Photo of Haley Ann

Haley Ann

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
And Bill if you expect me to feel sorry for these people because they have to deal with elderly clients or irate customers then you're ridiculous, they're getting paid to do this. At least they have a job.
Photo of Haley Ann

Haley Ann

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I had a comment on here but now it's gone, I can't imagine why that one would have been taken down but whatever. I bet these guys voted for Obama
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Haley, you just need to hit the "additional replies" link, I have not taken down any of your posts.

On a side note let's leave politics out of our discussions please.
Photo of Haley Ann

Haley Ann

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I did that, it must have been my internet service haha. I was right! Anyway I knew it!
Photo of Haley Ann

Haley Ann

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Ok call me

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.