Question about data

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need of further response at current time.

Exede  keep tell me it all me that I need to get more GB's. Why would I get more when I don't do anything and all my all is gone IN 10 days . If anyone is thanking about getting Exede or wildblue DON't AND RUN FROM THEM FAST. I'm going to go and look at U2 and play games because they keep tell that I'm doing that when I'm not so when it get slow Ill just set they to it loads and play on FB and POGO and be happy . Exede Keep saying that I'm doing it all the time used up the 5 GB they let me have in 8 hr.'s just looking at mail, and internet so now I'm going to go do what they keep saying that I was doing when I was not doing it .
Photo of Denise

Denise

• 10 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
go to www.download.com and get yourself a bandwidth meter.  I personally use DUMeter.  This will show you everything that is using data on your computer, and you will know where the data is going.  These tools are completely based on your computer, and have nothing to do with exede, so you know it will be accurate.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Denise,

I will be more than happy to take a look at your account!  We can research your data usage together.  Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your telephone number and the best time to call. 

Sincerely,
ExedeKarmin
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Webpages CAN use a good bit. Ever video, image and even every letter on the page uses some, text uses the least, then pictures, then sounds and video. Email uses some, everything you do uses data and 5 GB is not very much.
Photo of Denise

Denise

• 10 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I don't do the video. I don't have the sound on my computer . I have tape on the camera. So what your saying is just looking at any page is going to use 5 GB then how come for the last 14 days on slow I only use 2.8 GB
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
What One Gig Will Do:

29,257 plain text e-mail messages

5,120 e-mail messages with attachments

3,413 pages web surfing

1,024 digital photos

353 minutes of YouTube streaming

256 MP3 Music downloads

35 hours online gaming

150 Minutes standard-definition Video

Additional Examples:

1 hr./day web browsing = 1.8 GB/month

10 emails/day = 0.003 GB/month

2 hrs./ week social media = 0.514 GB/month

15 photos/week = 0.193 GB/month

20 file downloads/week = 0.257 GB/month

1 hr./day streaming music = 1.2 GB

15 min./week video chat = 0.103 GB

2 hrs./month std def movies = 1.5 GB

2 hrs./month hi def movies = 4.6 GB

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3245 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
Having the sound turned off on the computer does not save any data.  The sound info still is sent to your computer,  Many websites have videos and other flash items embedded in them, and every advertisement that appears contains data.  Use apps with your browser to block the ads and flash items, like AdBlock and FlashBlock. Also close any tabs in your browser when not actually using them.  Facebook is a real data hog, it refreshes continually even when you are not actively using the tab.
Photo of Denise

Denise

• 10 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have sound off on the game and my computer. You can turn them off on every game. I don't do videos and if one come one turn them off. I don't do music ,movies, videos chat, pictures
Photo of Denise

Denise

• 10 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

I play on FB and pogo and had fun doing it too

Photo of Denise

Denise

• 10 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have been on Facebook  more in the last 14 days and still only use 2.8 GB. So how is it that I used 15 GB in  the first 12 day, and not on FB as much
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Updates for you operating system, drivers such as video cards, sound cards, from the manufactuer of either the computer or the component or software, anti virus updates, any usage of cloud storage or online synchronization all us loads of data. Use a task scheduler to schedule those during the LNFZ or, disable them and do them manually during the LNFZ.

Any video streaming, internet radio, sites such as Flickr, photo bucket, etc... Advertisement heavy sites should also be restricted to the LNFZ unless it is vital you access them at other times. Daytime is for email and ad free forums, the rest can wait for the LNFZ or, you can simply move to a higher allowance plan and, not have to restrict so much during the day.

Other, less likely causes may be an unsecured router allowing others to use your bandwidth or, rarely a fault with the usage meter, someone else in your home using your computer to download or stream when you are not home.
Photo of Denise

Denise

• 10 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have done all my updates in the LNFZ time.  MY router is secured I do new passwords for it 4 time a year so no one can get it. I do not give it out to anyone not even my kids and grandkids. No one has told me why I have done more in the last 16 day ,and still only use 3.0 GB as of today and I use 15 GB in first on the month.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I use an average of 20-22 GB per month even keeping all downloads to the LNFZ but, I do game for apx 2 hours per day and, I stream 5 mins of SD video on average per day. I send an average of 6 - 8 300 DPI pictures per day via email (that is work related so have to do it.) The only update I allow to run during the day is Norton, the rest are scheduled for 3 AM. I do not do social media sites at all.

I read three forums, check email once per day and, look to see if iTunes has anything new I want once a week. That's it and, that uses 20-22 GB per month.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.