Exede Data Allowance Policy FAQ

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Idea acknowledged. No need of further response at current time.

Everything you always wanted to know about Exede's Data Allowance Policy can be found in this online document http://www.exede.com/documents/master/data-allowance-policy.pdf

As an Elite Dealer for Exede we take the time to right size our customers and find out how they will be using our service and what provider they currently have.  And sometimes, we tell customers that our product is not right for them and turn their business away.  Why would we turn business away you may ask?  Here is the answer.

If you are coming to us and there is either fiber, cable, or a really good quality DSL available to you and you are a heavy user, stay where you are.  Our service is not unlimited at all hours and we do have a small latency about 620 milliseconds on average.  Now if you ask me, that is pretty darn fast since once you hit the enter key your request beams out your antenna to the satellite 22,500 miles in space, back down 22,500 miles to the ground station, through the fiber unknown miles to wherever the server for the site you are requesting, back unknown miles to the ground station, back up 22,500 miles to the satellite, back down 22,500 miles to your computer or device.  Now if you have been keeping track that is 90,000 miles round trip just through the air, not counting the unknown mileage on the ground in a little over half a second!  And our next satellite ViaSat 2 is going to be even faster!

Another reason I turn folks away is if they are planning on using our service to replace their current TV provider and use an over the top service such as Netflix or Hulu.  Again, these use a lot of data and unless they have a way of streaming their programs during our free zones, then I don't recommend it at this time.  However, Exede does realize that more and more people want to cut their cord to traditional pay TV providers and are working hard to find a way to make this happen.  I believe in the near future WE WILL have a solution for this.  If anyone can do it, our rocket scientist can!

We have a plan selector tool on our web site that you can play around with and show you how much data different activities use, for example HD video streaming uses about 2.5 Gigs per hour!  That is why I do not recommend our service as a replacement at this time for your TV unless you stream and record everything during the free zones.

I hope this has been helpful for you.  And ALWAYS contact a LOCAL Exede Dealer, if you have an Elite Dealer near you call them, we won't steer you wrong.

David R Varner is an Elite Dealer for Exede and a member of the Dealer Advisory Council to ViaSat.  Lake Country Satellite www.lakecountrysat.com 

Photo of Lake Country Satellite

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Thanks for posting.This information will be very helpful to customers.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.