Exede named #1 Satellite Internet provider in 2014 by Satelliteinternetproviders.com

• Praise
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: No need for further response.

I was googling, not looking for this info...was actually looking to see if I could find any stats on the average data usage in 2014 by satellite internet users, but when I saw the title of this article I just HAD to check and see if Exede is up there in the ratings...I thought it might be...Well if you want to find out who were the top 5 according to this source, here is the link--whether or not you agree, you will find a whole lot of interesting information about what kind of overall information was gathered and then compared to make this determination....
http://www.bestsatelliteproviders.com/satellite-internet-providers/
To me, it is important for me to decide for myself what I think of any providers I have, and not just depend on what an article or other people say, but I do give a lot of credence to this kind of information--because it tends to take into account what the norms are for that type of technology rather than focusing on what people might LIKE things to be like...it focuses on what realistically is available within the realm of that technology. Hope others find this as interesting as I did.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
  • pleased to have Exede

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tina Haynes Silva

Tina Haynes Silva

• 7 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Um yes right....lol...so either you work for Exede or you know someone who does, or they took the cap off your data usage! This is absolutely insanity at its best...
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Tina,

If you are unhappy with your services, please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your questions or concerns.  I would like the opportunity to address any issues you may have.  I look forward to hearing from you. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Sorry, tina, you don't seem to be a very good guesser.  I don't work for exede, I don't know anyone who does. I have the plan I can afford which is the basic plan with an allowance of 10 gb per month....which is why I have been motivated to find out the facts and as much info as I possibly can about what uses up data, how much data is used up by different online activities...and everything I can do to keep my usage under my relatively low data allowance.  If I were rich or had cable with their typical 250 gb data limit,.....I probably wouldn't have paid any attention at all to the issues discussed on this forum...but not having much money means I am VERY careful about how I spend my money, and how I use my data...I recently switched from hughesnet's old basic plan to Exede's basic plan.  I did a lot of comparing of the 2 companies' plans  before deciding...it was clear to me that with Exede I could get way faster speeds, more data, and the late night free zone, which hughes has done away with now.  If I had switched to hughes' gen4 higher speed plan, I would have had to pay $10 more per month than I am paying Exede....and under the hughes basic plan my speeds would be slower than with Exede. So for the same amount I was paying Hughes for their old basic plan, I am getting all this extra stuff from Exede..  Not having any data usage problems or any other tech problems...the couple of people I do know who have had exede for years have never had any data use problems...so I am not anticipating any... so why wouldn't I be happy with Exede...this is great!  see I go by what the reality is...if I had a data allowance of 250 gb/month, why that would be FABULOUS....but I don't have access to anything like that, so why spend any time comparing Exede to that?  Up till I switched to exceed I was getting download speeds of 1mbs!!!  As opposed to between 5-17 mbs download speeds, depending on time of day, weather, etc... Before I switched to Exede I had a data allowance of 250 mb/day which comes to 7.5 gb/month....for the same exact price....why wouldn't I like Exede?  I'd have to be not paying attention to not like Exede.  
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Pretty much a no-brainer to anyone who did their homework.  Exede may be far from perfect, but by comparison to Hughes and Dishnet, it's head and shoulders above.  I'd happy get FIOS installed if it was available, but, it's not, I  get satellite, and when it comes to satellite, exede is the best choice.  Actually, if I had to chose, I'd take a supermarket that I don't have to drive 45 minutes for, before I took FIOS.  
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Very funny!  7 yrs ago I moved from a VERY rural area where I lived a mile down a gravel road --a mile from my mailbox even--only 30 min to supermarket and I thought that was bad... to where I am now...semi rural and walmart is only 10 minutes away...but I STILL only can get satellite internet where I live..but back then all i had was DIALUP ...so no comparison there...yup....I like exede just fine.
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
LOL Starring & Lorrie  I am 20 min from Walmart but can only get satellite internet.  Considering there are not that many satellite providers perhaps Exede is the best of the 3-5 out there but that does not say much.  I sure am not liking it.  Mainly for the data allotments and the S L O W N E S S .  But other than that, it's better than nothing.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I bet a big part of the difference in how we see it has to do with the fact that I never had access to anything faster at home  I believe you had access to the better technologies but then had to move somewhere else where you only have access to Satellite?...all I ever had was aol dialup, so when I got Hughes @ 1 mbs download speeds, well I thought that was just GREAT.  So now i switch to Exede and suddenly I have 12 down/3 up and I think I am in heaven!  I have a cell phone only for emergencies when I am out driving, and can't even get enough cell reception to use the phone at my home...so I have nothing but dialup to compare exede to...makes for a very happy customer needless to say.
However as I have gotten older, I do think I have gotten good at realizing what are my choices and what things I have control over and which I don't...and I tend to take responsibility for finding solutions to my problems rather than tending to get stuck on blaming someone or something for any problems I have.  No solutions for me when I get stuck on being angry and don't work on what to do about the problem. But I would, like you, be angry and frustrated esp in the beginning until i got used to having to, in essence, "downgrade" and have less than what i had before.  My main point is that this just isn't exede's fault...without them, I'd just have DIALUP.  
With all the talk about what we all think Exede should have done and should be doing so we all have the data amounts we want and so we can have our usage clearly monitored so we know immediately exactly where every mb is being used....nice ideas but truthfully I have NO idea about what that would cost a business to develop and implement...every business along the way has to make choice after choice about what they are going to spend on what in terms of the end product the customer gets.
And the reality is that all this gets factored into what the customer winds up getting charged.  I don't have the means to objectively assess how Exede chose to design their product and what it all means in terms of what they will have to charge me as a customer...which is why all that makes sense is for me to compare Exede to any other similar products out there and to choose which is best for me.
Ideas for improvement are GREAT and I happen to believe Exede IS listening.  Never forget that they want satisfied customers as much as we want to be satisfied.  that is what selling a service is all about...and i am  just talking about basic business and the profit motive.  I don't mean exede won't ever  get it wrong or mess up something with my account some time or that i could never get into any kind of very frustrating dispute with Exede or anyone else whose services I use...but I don't for a minute think exede is trying to cheat/defraud me or anyone else.  It just doesn't serve their long range purpose as a business. 
The reason I go on about this stuff, in case anyone might wonder, is because I think so many of us would be happier in our lives if we didn't so quickly assume that the other guy is always out to get us.  Voicing anger on this forum is very appropriate but trying to find solutions without trying to offend or "get back at" others is even better.

Tina Haynes Silva

• 7 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Well Lorrie, you lost me at" sorry"...but you hang in there!!! Every underdog needs a cheerleader..."Champion" 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Well who the underdog is varies with who's looking...I'd rather feel satisfied than dissatisfied...happier that way, you know?  I remember a day when I was in my forties, when it first occurred to me that what I really ought to do in life was to ....LOWER MY EXPECTATIONS.  You know, so that they were closer to reality?  I have been much happier ever since... True story.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Tina, I'd ask you what your agenda is here, but I suppose sometimes people just  like to go on forums to see if they can bait someone or play mind games....so when someone posts something without ever disclosing why, I think something like that might be afoot.  You imply you don't like Exede, but never give any reason...just try to tear me down...interesting.  Have a nice evening/night.
Really.

Tina Haynes Silva

• 7 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hmmm Lorrie,,, don't get your feelings hurt,, after all this is "The Forum" meaning, we can share, like or comment, and you shared, I didn't like, but I did comment, and wow,, such emotions, " bait" mind games" and tearing you down" really?? If you didn't want a comment, you shldnt have put yours here on the Community Forum...Now you have a nice evening/ night.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Why, same to you Tina.  You are quite charming....:)
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Thanks for posting that Lorrie. I have Exede. I'm very happy with it. Where I live it's very rural-no DSL, no signal for cell phones, no wireless and don't even know if there is dial-up service anymore. First I had dial-up. Then that got so bad you couldn't even get online. We had DishTv but at that time you could only get Wildblue. So had Wildblue 3 years. In beginning it was real good but as time went on it got slower and slower. Then we went from Dish to DirectV. The person came out was telling us about Exede. That was just coming out but wasn't sure so stayed with Wildblue a little longer then decided to go with Exede. I have been very happy with Exede and have been very lucky with customer service, they have been good for me.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Hi HMC, sounds like your situation is very like mine, and that you like me have never had the pleasure of the other high speed technologies...seems like we are better off not having had those, since we can't have them now.  We don't have to pine for what we used to have or be envious or feel cheated about what we can't have!  Human nature.  We just know how much better Exede is than dialup was! Back to that "eye of the beholder" thing.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Lorrie,

Thanks for posting!! :)
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
HMC1940,

I'm glad you are enjoying your services.  We value our customers opinion.  If you ever have any questions or concerns, please send us an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact information and the best time to reach you.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Thank you Karmin, I am calling it exactly as I see it and I think this kind of thinking is very important in this crazy and often frustrating world we are in.  So hard to keep up!  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.