Unhappy with data usage

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I'm really up set with your service I can't wait till my contract is up, when it is I'm dumping your service. I have been told by a perfessional that the wrong equipment was put in. There is no way I used up 70 percent of 10g in 5 days. i have 15 g on 4 cell phone and don't even use 10 g on them and that's 4 people using it here at home. Its only one computer and wifi with phones. Your installer said for how i use the inter net i shouldnt use that much he said that he had the same plan as me and he has 5 computers on his with 3 kids using it all the time and he doesn't use 10g . So to finish I cant wait to cancel my contract with you, and be sure I will let my friends know the poor service you give. Maybe even put on face book to my friends. I even know a few other people that has the same problem. They make hot spots with there cell phone because they run out of g;s. they even use less time on the inter net than I do. So good by when my contract runs out. Bruce Staten- bstaten@exede.net- I am giving you a chance to figure out why my service is so crappy before i spread through social media and friends and family about service.
Photo of Bruce Staten

Bruce Staten

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2231 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
Hi Bruce,  I would love to discuss this with you. I sorry if you received misinformation.  Please send your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com
Photo of Bruce Staten

Bruce Staten

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
i emailed you the info to email provided. Apologizing for company employees, installers, and owners of exede contractors is not acceptable to the consumer, who has to continue with unacceptable service and high rates due to cancellation fee. These people who promise more than what the customer receives should be fired.
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Just like with anything in life wjen dealing with a person who makes a living from sales comissions, if it soubds to good.... get it in writing.
Photo of Christy Grzywacz

Christy Grzywacz

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
I too have the 10G plan and run through the data in the first week and I am the only one using it! If it truly is an equipment problem as Bruce seemed to think than I feel I should be given a full refund for all of the "service" (or lack there of) I have paid for in my 2 year contract. My contract is up and I think I will be dropping exede, but I live in a rural area and fear that I won't find any other options. I really hate that I am stuck with GARBAGE!
Photo of Don Anderson Sr.

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Been here 1 1/2 year nothings changed, same old complaints same corporate answers, Question: Does Exede do like they say Verizon does and coverts all data to high def?. Let the FCC know what you think.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Exede doesn't convert to high def, but many of the web media providers do when they sense you have a high speed connection.  You will also get more and higher resolution graphics in your ads that pop up on some pages.
Photo of Wendy J

Wendy J

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have gone through every app and program and changed the settings to automatically use the lowest definition despite internet speeds.  I also have put independent data trackers on my devices and consistently they read about half of what the exede devices are recording.  I agree, the way exede records data is fraud. No way is it close to reality. We don't even watch videos (and have changed settings so they do not play automatically.)  Just web browsing with just 3 light users at home uses 2-3 gigs a day.  Which is not possible. 

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I haven't seem an Exede rep. put in writing that they don't covert data to high def...........

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Jep are you an employee that you can make that statement for Exede ?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Don - Nope, just a customer for +10 years making guesses based on my observations.  FWIW, I have meticulously followed my data usage from time to time and never found a discrepancy.

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Guesses don't count and are misleading and could open up you Champions to libel if tested.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Don - Not likely, I haven't defamed anyone.  (See definition of libel).
Photo of Micki White

Micki White

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've had Excede (Wildblue) for 3 1/2 years and have used all of my 10g plan within the first 4 days every month. Have paid for service to correct issues and was told the dish was installed incorrectly the first time but still had to pay for the service call. Was told I should have been assigned to a different satellite for my area to get the better speeds that would not use up the data so fast. No help from customer service!!!!! Hughes Net was better and will be going back to them if I can get this crappy satellite dish returned.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Micki, I’m truly sorry you feel this way, I can certainly understand your frustration concerning your unknown data usage. I would be more than happy to take a look at your account and pinpoint what could possibly be using your data so quickly. Please send your account and contact information toexedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you  

Here are a few data hogs to look out for:
http://www.exede.com/blog/3-data-hogs-look/
(Edited)
Photo of Wendy J

Wendy J

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have been though all of this, it doesn't matter.  I agree, I will be looking to switch to Hughes as well as soon as I can.  Neighbors have Hughes and do not have this problem. 

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
A simple explanation ..........  Extra GB's is easy money.
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Wendy, When you switch to Hughes, please report back on your experience. I am betting you will still have data counting problems. Many have tried to prove that the data miscounting is Exede's fault but rarely if ever have they succeeded. 99% of the time, the problem is on the customer's end. I have seen dozens switch from Hughes to Exede and none of them regretted it. I haven't seen any cases the other way around. I hope you can get some help in finding your data hogs. Good luck.
Photo of Wendy J

Wendy J

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, maybe they are all robbers. There is no data hog Jim, and with condescending "champions" like you, no wonder there are all these complaints. We are 3 people and have set all devices on social media and web browsing so that videos do not automatically play, we have set you tube and Netflix to play on lowest definition always--which doesn't matter since no one is watching videos. We have data managers on all devices which are recording about 1/3 of data use as compared to the exc de data meter. Exede agrees that we are just doing web browsing, a little social media and some email. We use 25 gigs in 2-3 weeks. That's 2-3 gigs per day. Look at any calculator, 10 hours of web browsing should be much less than half a gig. Exede agrees that we are only web browsing. We are 3 adults. No illicit use. What do you suggest? I think this is fraud.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3803 Posts
  • 3844 Reply Likes
See responses in the following thread:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/bitchslapped-by-excede?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by...

or not since it seems GetSatisfaction is acting up or the censors are at work since context has been removed ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2779 Posts
  • 1750 Reply Likes
Old Labs, I think the censors are working extra duty. I was commenting on another thread to an individual who was accusing Exede that their meter was intentionally overstating their usage, and made comments that he had absolute proof using a software he kept referring to as "Glassware". By the time I tried to post my reply, I got the message that the post I was commenting on had been removed by "someone". In fact there were three or four posts by the same individual in that thread, and they have all disappeared to what I have to believe is "computer heaven".

Same thread as you provided the link to.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3803 Posts
  • 3844 Reply Likes
Unfortunate that the exchange in that thread was edited (removing objectionable material often results in loss of informative material with GetSatisfaction and do wish the moderators would exercise that ability with more discretion - not to mention it ma even result in more rancor as the flow of responses is disrupted - e.g. Wendy above may assume I was responding to her when in fact was responding to the post removed between hers and mine).

I think we were narrowing in on the DirecTV Genie as the data usage culprit in that particular case but were sidetracked by a couple of misconceptions about what Glasswire does. But in summary since the exchange is now gone forever, if using Glasswire:

• It must be installed on all Windows 7, 8, 10 boxes and only tracks usage on the machine it is installed upon. You must manually add each machine's usage when comparing its reported usage against the Exede usage meter. From the Glasswire site itself: "Please keep in mind that GlassWire only keeps track of bandwidth for the computer and server it's installed on and not total bandwidth usage on your network".
  • The presence of other devices on Glasswire's Network tab (available only with the paid versions) doesn't mean it tracks usage on those devices - that is simply a network map allowing identification of devices and not their usage (in the case of that user it was showing a DirecTV Genie connected to his local network). Just knowing what devices are connected to your local network can help to isolate potential data usage culprits.   
  • Tracking usage at the router for all devices is not supported by Glasswire. Many routers do have basic traffic monitoring features built-in which is simply a cumulative display of usage on a daily basis (some have more robust monitoring or can be upgraded with open source firmware - the latter is not recommended for casual users). Networx does provide usage monitoring at the router level but requires the router support protocol(s) that are not typically found in consumer routers.
Applications may be available for other operating systems or devices but there are none I can suggest (although others may be able to). Glasswire is currently a Windows only traffic monitoring solution for the machine it's installed on. Always download and install from the official source if opting to use it (or any other application).  

All suggestions here regarding installing a third party traffic monitor or leveraging built-in router features are only meant to provide a way to verify usage reported by Exede - trust it (or distrust it as is often the case) but verify by seeking a second independent opinion (not exactly sure what's so controversial about that recommendation and even I have experienced at least one unexplained data loss).

(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
One computer on which I have Glasswire "forgets" earlier data usage.  I have reinstalled, but to no avail.  So on that computer Glasswire only reports recent data usage, giving you a false (low) reading if you try to look at weekly or monthly usage.  Comments on the Glasswire forum say it will be fixed in the next release.