Exede Evolution plan questions

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I currently have the Exede Classic plan. I have everything set up to download between 12:01 and 5. My speeds are about 1/8th of what they are supposed to be until 3 and then they shoot up to 2.6 MB/s ( I assume this is because everyone is downloading ). Now, my main question is the Exede Evolution plan, the Free Period is between 3 and 8, and concerning my situation, will i be on the same beam as I currently am on. Because it would make sense to switch so that I could get a full 5 hours at full speed instead of the 2 hours I get now.

Also, the bandwidth on the Evolution plan, is it 5 or 10?
Photo of Shawn Snyder

Shawn Snyder

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3920 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
According to one of the Exede folks here several days ago,  Evolution is now 10 for all if I read it correctly but email exedelistens@viasat.com for an authoritative answer.

FWIW, on my beam for the last  week or so LNFZ has been pretty slow except occasionally between 2:00 AM and 3:00 AM which seems to provide a small window of opportunity for speed between the LNFZ and EBFZ. The early birders seem to be catching up with the late-nighters in scheduling downloads. I'm hoping it's attributable to extra holiday traffic and will settle back down next week some time.

P.S. During the holidays, I've actually been getting better speed during the day - but of course that's not a free zone.     
(Edited)
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 545 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Mine is around 5th to quarter speed, maybe a little bit better,  from 12:00 until about 3:30am now, then it speeds up. Your beam won't and can't change. It's determined by your geographical area.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
Yes, I'm aware that beam doesn't change ;)
Photo of Shawn Snyder

Shawn Snyder

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
my question was if i switch plans will i get the full 5 hours instead of just 2 hours ( because of congestion )

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
Only until the 3:00 AM until 8:00 AM time period becomes similarly congested, which may not be long with technologies like the following gaining traction:

https://www.aterlo.com/l/nightshift

at which point I suspect 12:00 AM through 8:00 AM to be loaded.

As noted in my case, I'm only getting a small 2:00 AM to 3:00 AM window between the two periods right now.

P.S. To answer your question more directly, yes it might buy you some temporary relief and yes you will be on the same beam.      
(Edited)
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I usually see super speeds from the 5 to 8 am times on the Evolution plan.  My daughter works nights and sometimes is up in the 3 to 5 am time and says during that overlap she sometimes sees slow speeds. Evolution works well for me because I am up normally no later than 6 am then can do updates and such while I have my morning coffee.  The unlimited LNFZ is basically worthless to me for the most part because I don't download huge files.  My needs for internet are day based, when I do stream I usually am streaming something live so its not something that I can download at night and watch later.  Because of this the 3 am to 8 am open period is more workable for us to do updates and such early in the morning.  And yes 10 GB is the allowance for all other activites outside of standard internet browsing and email.  
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Shawn, With the Evolution package it has gone up to 10 GBs + unlimted web and email browsing. If you would like I can definitely take a look at your usage. Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and I can assist. =) 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.